Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fritatta and grits both got broiled. Carbon steel is expensive :colbert:

we got a carbon steel for Christmas, but these were cooked before that. The point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I spent a good couple of years trying to enjoy cooking on a cast iron pan, in part because of all the GWS hype. I eventually realized that I just don't really like high thermal mass-style cooking. I really prefer moving the pan and changing up temperatures and stuff and the cast iron was just bulky and un-fun. Once I realized that I stuck the pan out in the garage and basically don't think about it anymore.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I cook mostly with cast iron because it's the pan that's already on my stove top.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use my cast iron pan to sear meat and that's it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kenning posted:

I spent a good couple of years trying to enjoy cooking on a cast iron pan, in part because of all the GWS hype. I eventually realized that I just don't really like high thermal mass-style cooking. I really prefer moving the pan and changing up temperatures and stuff and the cast iron was just bulky and un-fun. Once I realized that I stuck the pan out in the garage and basically don't think about it anymore.

Can uh... can I have it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I cook mostly with cast iron because it's the pan that's already on my stove top.

Same.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use my cast iron every day. I use other pans considerably less frequently. If I had to make do with just one pan, I'd be comfortable with just a 10 inch cast iron skillet.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I use my cast iron pot for bread and my cast iron pan for rotis and flatbreads :shobon:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there's no problem with cast iron, but other than retaining heat for a sear (which it's great for) or cooking directly on coals, there's no other application I can think of that it gives you much of anything.

not arguing against cast iron, I'm just saying use something more appropriate for high acid and literally most other dishes. mr wiggles I love you but laziness is not an excuse

also brian, carbon steel is incredibly cheap, dunno wtf ya talking about. get you one son! season it correctly. mine has kinda replaced the 10" stainless pan I used to use. except when cooking acids. https://www.cooksdirect.com/matfer-bourgeat-11-7-8-round-frying-pan.html

edit : the vollrath ones are equally good too

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 25, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Brawnfire posted:

that's what i got

edit: anyone is welcome to buy me an alternative braising instrument, of course, as to save me from my folly

do you have any pot

with a lid

literally any other pot

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

there's no problem with cast iron, but other than retaining heat for a sear (which it's great for) or cooking directly on coals, there's no other application I can think of that it gives you much of anything.

not arguing against cast iron, I'm just saying use something more appropriate for high acid and literally most other dishes. mr wiggles I love you but laziness is not an excuse

also brian, carbon steel is incredibly cheap, dunno wtf ya talking about. get you one son! season it correctly. mine has kinda replaced the 10" stainless pan I used to use. except when cooking acids. https://www.cooksdirect.com/matfer-bourgeat-11-7-8-round-frying-pan.html

Handle is too long for small ovens. Most people aren't going to stuff around with carbon steel as really what is the point unless you have a great gas range? You can work with anything lovely with regards to stove or oven when you have cast iron. Since losing a gas range I have even tossed my carbon steel woks. I have cast iron, triply and non stick and of course only the CI can go in the oven or under the broiler/grill (the triply has huge, like really huge handles).
Breads, bakes, frittata - CI. Since my woks are gone, stirfry -CI
Stews - triply. pan sauces or simmer meat - triply
Brown meat: depends on how much meat, what type of meat and how hot I can get the pan to go on the stove. Stainless and CI have pros and cons. But at least you don't have to worry about them warping and being less useful on an electric range which is either low output or needs a dead flat base, unlike carbon steel

I'd add a more sizes in CI or triply (like both 12" and 10" of both types), or variety in sides (skillet, flat, saute), or a larger stainless stew pot or a whole heap of other things (like a pressure cooker) before I cared about carbon steel pan.
Maybe if I had a good gas range/stovetop again I'd be all for it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 25, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mindphlux posted:

Yeah, that's the one my wife asked for this past Christmas. At that time it was almost $70 on Amazon. $36 + $?? s/h (I can't add it to my cart for some reason... website borked?) is a bit more reasonable.

My wife seasoned it according to the Matfer-Bourgeat website, which includes potato skins for some reason. It worked really well, though I'll be damned if I know how the potato skins help :psyduck:

The cooksdirect instructions for seasoning it can :fuckoff: though. Doesn't stress the scrubbing required to really get the wax coat off, doesn't specify the thickness of the coat of oil, only does one coat at 300°F

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Seasoning chat: I've been thinking of getting this wok: https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-21-9978-Classic-14-inch/dp/B002AQSWMU?th=1 To replace my old and worn out non-stick wok.

What sort of seasoning would be required? Would I be better off just getting another non-stick, which served me adequately for so many years? The one I have now is some unknown brand just picked up at the local asian grocer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mindphlux posted:

do you have any pot

with a lid

literally any other pot

I've got a 20-quart stainless steel stock pot, I can just about get it in my oven if I take out all but the bottom rack.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mindphlux posted:

Pan frying chicken is the best use of cast iron pans. The thermal mass protects against the oil temp dropping when you introduce the chicken, which leads to soggy breading.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

EVG posted:

Seasoning chat: I've been thinking of getting this wok: https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-21-9978-Classic-14-inch/dp/B002AQSWMU?th=1 To replace my old and worn out non-stick wok.

What sort of seasoning would be required? Would I be better off just getting another non-stick, which served me adequately for so many years? The one I have now is some unknown brand just picked up at the local asian grocer.

One or two short stovetop burns with a rub of oil, turning the wok on your burner to make sure all of it gets heated up and blackened. Wok seasoning is very sloppy and who-cares.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

do you do much super high heat cooking? That'd be the biggest reason to get a carbon steel one over a non stick. I have one of those wooden handle ones and eventually the handle gets loose and kinda grody. I really like my welded metal handle one by comparison, but I bought that in chinatown, it's also not flatbottom, so you'd need a ring.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah unless you're cooking on a high btu gas range or a propane burner outside, carbon steel woks are just a pain in the rear end.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not what gravity said. A normal sized gas range inside can definitely get high enough heat to warrant a carbon steel wok over a non stick.

Non stick woks are useless for stir frying, since you really ought to be max intensity preheating empty for a full 2 minutes imo

e: unless there's a special ~green ceramic samurai nonstick costing~ that can handle that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've stopped bothering using a wok on a indoor gas range unless it putting out hella btus. Having the heat only hit the bottom of the wok is pointless and I might as well stir fry in a normal pan.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

And I didn't say non stick woks are good. They're poo poo for the opposite reason. Cranking the heat on them is a bad idea.

Unless it's nice enough out to pull out the jet burner outside I just use a cast iron or carbon steel pan.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Isn't the home cook reason for using a wok over a pan the ability to use the center for ripping hot stir fry and use the cooler edges for food that finishes early? For me, it's spreading the fried rice to the side so I can add oil and minced garlic, then 15 seconds later mix it all together. That way the garlic loses its raw edge but doesn't burn.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Assuming you have a gas stove you can pull the cap off your gas exhaust to get more heat

Of course, this precludes you from shaking the pan around because it'll put out the flame

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 25, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

Isn't the home cook reason for using a wok over a pan the ability to use the center for ripping hot stir fry and use the cooler edges for food that finishes early? For me, it's spreading the fried rice to the side so I can add oil and minced garlic, then 15 seconds later mix it all together. That way the garlic loses its raw edge but doesn't burn.
And, you know, you can do other things in a wok besides ultra high-temperature stir-frying. I also think people over-estimate the difficulties of high-temperature wok cooking on typical residential ranges, but whatever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

And, you know, you can do other things in a wok besides ultra high-temperature stir-frying. I also think people over-estimate the difficulties of high-temperature wok cooking on typical residential ranges, but whatever.

Oh yeah good call. I don't do a lot of frying anymore but when I did, a wok was great for that. Also, using a steamer is a lot simpler with a wok instead of trying to find a normal pot that fits right.

I pared down my kitchen a lot after my last move and got rid of flyers woks. I don't miss em outside of the times it's nice enough outside I could drag out a propane burner and get real wok hei.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

And, you know, you can do other things in a wok besides ultra high-temperature stir-frying.

I love mine for deep frying. Because of the flaring shape it is nearly impossible for it to boil over. Lot's of real estate for frying, too. Also they have those great hang-off-the-lip racks that let you drain the food back onto the oil.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh yeah good call. I don't do a lot of frying anymore but when I did, a wok was great for that. Also, using a steamer is a lot simpler with a wok instead of trying to find a normal pot that fits right.
Yeah, there's that but I also mean things like dry braising long beans or whatever. Like that's totally nuts-and-bolts `authentic' wok cooking or however you want to say it and you don't need (or want) a high-output hob for it.

Casu Marzu posted:

I pared down my kitchen a lot after my last move and got rid of flyers woks. I don't miss em outside of the times it's nice enough outside I could drag out a propane burner and get real wok hei.
You can get wok hei off a flattop electric range using a flat-bottom wok. It's just more fiddly. I mean I'm not trying to argue a lovely residential range is just as good as a high-output wok burner for doing it. Just saying that there's nothing magic about oil that cares if it's having its autoignition temperature ticked by one kind of heat source versus another.

These days I usually go wildly inauthentic by doing the animal protein in the puddle machine then searing it off in a wok and then going from there.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Even if I'm just using it on my apartment's electric coil burner, a wok's shape is much easier for flipping fried rice and noodle stir fries around without getting stuff all over my stove like if I used a skillet. Would a skillet be slightly more efficient in transferring heat? Maybe, but meh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey guys have you heard of this new trend called "souping" where you eat soup

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/health/soup-food-drayer/index.html?sr=twCNN012618soup-food-drayer0416PMStoryGal

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
2018: eat like a poor person or hospital patient. Broths, stews and soups. Be trendy#hashtag.
Alternatively 2018:the ramening

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Huh, who would've thought if you eat food before a meal you're gonna eat less food at that meal. I for one, am SHOCKED.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

esperantinc posted:

Huh, who would've thought if you eat food before a meal you're gonna eat less food at that meal. I for one, am SHOCKED.

not pot brownies :smug:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

"Foroutan said having only soup for a few days or only soup for dinner for a week is fine -- she even does it herself"

One weird peasant dinner trick

Apparently you can also use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge in a soup. With organic bone broth, naturally.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I prefer to put my raw vegetables in my raw water for a raw soup. Sometimes I'll put raw chicken bones in it and let it steep for a week, too. Really helps my gut biome.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

I prefer to put my raw vegetables in my raw water for a raw soup. Sometimes I'll put raw chicken bones in it and let it steep for a week, too. Really helps my gut biome.

Don't boil it though, that ruins the probiotics. Just keep it at a nice warm 98 degrees for a few days.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hey, that's how I make my nourishing, chemical-free, raw garlic infused olive oil!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

srsly, cast iron is super overused round these parts.

Just lol if you're not using cast iron pans to wipe your rear end

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have lost a really amazing amount of weight that way! And afterwards I feel like I’ve really purged my body of a lot of toxins!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MiddleOne posted:

Just lol if you're not using cast iron pans to wipe your rear end

Keep one by your door for intruders too.

Actual content. Thermapen Mk4 Open Box sale is running again. 76bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I posted in the "food for cities without their own thread" thread too.

Mr. W and I are moving to Louisville, KY when he retires from the Army this year. What should I know? Also, what should I know about buying a house? I spent the last nine years tuning out everything I ever heard about real estate thinking "we won't be in a position to buy a house until 2027" and now I regret that...