Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, this part about tits they're reading is shockingly embarrassing to even listen to :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I wonder if this means they're any closer to taking up my Joan Collins request.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 24, 2017

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Oh, now I understand the Dynasty background pic.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
All right, which one of you goons called out Rachel Millman?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I wonder if this means they're any closer to taking up my Joan Collins request.
Well, now that I've had a chance to hear the episode, I guess I should be thankful! As far as I know, Joan's and Jackie's books are essentially the same, but Joan has the added fun of actually being in Dynasty, so that's why I requested her. I don't think it made a difference which Collins they went with.

Edit:

Jurgan posted:

All right, which one of you goons called out Rachel Millman?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=464953203

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 27, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hey, I love Rachel Millman's appearances, but that was really bad audio.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Turns out that the magic dog story is Watchers by the ever-prolific Dean Koontz.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I read Hollywood Wives because of this podcast and actually it wasn't THAT bad for what it was??? Better than Scruples, Twopuls, or Thrupuls, anyways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Turns out that the magic dog story is Watchers by the ever-prolific Dean Koontz.

I've read this book and it's fuckin wild

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've read this book and it's fuckin wild

The only think Koontz loves writing about more than superintelligent dogs is stoic manly men who stop supernatural threats by shooting them.

http://www.deankoontz.com/trixie/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Happy 90th birthday to Scruples genius, Judith Krantz!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Don’t be a creep

You have a point.

drygear fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 25, 2018

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Don’t be a creep

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Real bad Starship Troopers takes on this episode, imo

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Real bad Starship Troopers takes on this episode, imo

Yeah, it seems like they had it backwards- the book was sincere, the movie was satire. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, it seems like they had it backwards- the book was sincere, the movie was satire. At least, thats what Ive heard.

The book is a military-worship political treatise disguised as action sci fi while the book is a satirical take on the same thing.

Heinlein is an awful writer, despite his influence on the genre.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The book is sincere and strange but works as a better unintentional satire than the movie does an intentional one. The movie is cool and good but dresses its characters as Nazis then pats itself on the back for being a big smart boy who figured out Nazis were bad. Also if you extend that metaphor the movie seems to imply that Jewish people (or Russians?) are monstrous bugs. Also Collision is right when he says Verhoeven didn't understand the book since he has said publicly he didn't read it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The book is dogshit, 9/10ths of it are just characters dryly reiterating about how the military is the best thing ever and how the military should run everything and how the military's enemies are awful monsters that need to be exterminated.

There's absolutely no satire in the novel.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The book is dogshit, 9/10ths of it are just characters dryly reiterating about how the military is the best thing ever and how the military should run everything and how the military's enemies are awful monsters that need to be exterminated.

There's absolutely no satire in the novel.

Not intentionally. It's been decades since I read it but if I remember correctly the hero nukes a church in the first chapter and burns fleeing intelligent aliens to death.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Not intentionally. It's been decades since I read it but if I remember correctly the hero nukes a church in the first chapter and burns fleeing intelligent aliens to death.

I read the book again a couple years back and the church scene is a grim "I did what I had to do to kill those commies aliens" thing without an ounce of examination. Then, almost the entire rest of the book is characters talking about how cool the military is.
There's absolutely no satire in the book and it tries very, very hard to convince the reader that the military is great.

Paul Verhoeven actually experience war up close while Heinlein enlisted and left during peace time and it really shows.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Drunkboxer posted:

Also Collision is right when he says Verhoeven didn't understand the book since he has said publicly he didn't read it.

Nah, Verhoeven understood the book extremely well, which is why he threw it in the loving trash after reading two chapters. (Its bad and so are its politics)

Also, extremely lol at the idea that Paul Verhoeven, a man who literally grew up during the nazi occupation of the netherlands, is somehow "patting himself on the back for realizing nazis are bad"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Drunkboxer posted:

The book is sincere and strange but works as a better unintentional satire than the movie does an intentional one. The movie is cool and good but dresses its characters as Nazis then pats itself on the back for being a big smart boy who figured out Nazis were bad. Also if you extend that metaphor the movie seems to imply that Jewish people (or Russians?) are monstrous bugs.

This is a dumbass take. It wasn’t Verhoeven saying that Nazis are bad, it’s him directly stating US foreign policy is fascist, here’s him saying as much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Drunkboxer posted:

The book is sincere and strange but works as a better unintentional satire than the movie does an intentional one. The movie is cool and good but dresses its characters as Nazis then pats itself on the back for being a big smart boy who figured out Nazis were bad. Also if you extend that metaphor the movie seems to imply that Jewish people (or Russians?) are monstrous bugs. Also Collision is right when he says Verhoeven didn't understand the book since he has said publicly he didn't read it.

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu fuckin moron

its about how the us military is fascist and dehumanizes its enemies not nazis specifically

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah, Verhoeven understood the book extremely well, which is why he threw it in the loving trash after reading two chapters. (Its bad and so are its politics)

Also, extremely lol at the idea that Paul Verhoeven, a man who literally grew up during the nazi occupation of the netherlands, is somehow "patting himself on the back for realizing nazis are bad"

In interviews he literally brought up the costumes, and explained that Americans didn't get that his Nazis were Nazis. It's a fine vagina-bug movie, but the satire is juvenile. I mean, maybe I'm asking too much for the man who brought us Showgirls to be more subtle but whatever.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Just for clarification, in Starship Troopers a meteor hits Earth and causes massive civilian casualties, and every human is up on arms about destroying the alien race that’s blamed for it without even giving a cursory glance to if that was even the cause. Starship Troopers came out 6 years before the US blamed Iraq for 9/11 and invaded it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

In interviews he literally brought up the costumes, and explained that Americans didn't get that his Nazis were Nazis. It's a fine vagina-bug movie, but the satire is juvenile. I mean, maybe I'm asking too much for the man who brought us Showgirls to be more subtle but whatever.

quote:

Paul Verhoeven, director
Robert Heinlein’s original 1959 science-fiction novel was militaristic, if not fascistic. So I decided to make a movie about fascists who aren’t aware of their fascism. Robocop was just urban politics – this was about American politics. As a European it seemed to me that certain aspects of US society could become fascistic: the refusal to limit the amount of arms; the number of executions in Texas when George W Bush was governor.

It’s an idiotic story: young people go to fight bugs. So I felt the human characters should have a comic-book look. Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon auditioned, but I was looking for the prototype of blond, white and arrogant, and Casper Van Dien was so close to the images I remembered from Leni Riefenstahl’s films. I borrowed from Triumph of the Will in the parody propaganda reel that opens the film, too. I was using Riefenstahl to point out, or so I thought, that these heroes and heroines were straight out of Nazi propaganda. No one saw it at the time. I don’t know whether or not the actors realised – we never discussed it. I thought Neil Patrick Harris arriving on the set in an SS uniform might clear it up.

Gee whiz maybe he was trying to make a point about Americans or something

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu fuckin moron

its about how the us military is fascist and dehumanizes its enemies not nazis specifically

Gee whiz maybe he was trying to make a point about Americans or something

Yeah my point is it's hamfisted and dumb.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Verhoeven, a simpleton: "We dressed up american action heroes as nazis to make a point about fascism and america's foreign policy"
Drunkboxer, super genius: "I already know Nazis are bad, checkmate"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Collision has been rubbing the wrong way for a long while but his hot take on Starship Troopers was nigh insufferable. Is this persona genuine or has he simply driven his schtick too deep?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah my point is it's hamfisted and dumb.

It's pretty clear that you don't actually get it, especially since you think the book is satirical

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It's pretty clear that you don't actually get it, especially since you think the book is satirical

No, I think the book is trying to be dead serious. It's just absurd and scary to the degree that I think it works as an unintentional satire.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

To be fair, he’s saying the book is unintentional satire, which I could grant him. For me, that falls apart because the book just plain ain’t funny, it’s a couple cool but poorly-written action scenes bookending a bunch of political philosophy on the terms and necessity of warfare.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

No, I think the book is trying to be dead serious. It's just absurd and scary to the degree that I think it works as an unintentional satire.

It isn't

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Look, I should have known better to kick this particular hornets nest. I've just never been super impressed with Verhoeven in general, despite liking some of his movies. Sorry for the derail.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

PJOmega posted:

Collision has been rubbing the wrong way for a long while but his hot take on Starship Troopers was nigh insufferable. Is this persona genuine or has he simply driven his schtick too deep?

Collision would be so much better as a semi-regular guest. He’s fine and even fun in smaller doses but he has gotten tiresome over the last year or so. I loved in early episodes when it was still just JW and rotating guests because he’s a solid anchor and guests provide more variety. He and Collision are a little too similar for long-term co-hosts.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

To be fair, he’s saying the book is unintentional satire, which I could grant him. For me, that falls apart because the book just plain ain’t funny, it’s a couple cool but poorly-written action scenes bookending a bunch of political philosophy on the terms and necessity of warfare.

I don’t think there is such a thing as unintentional satire. If you’re trying to support an idea and fail so badly you undermine the point you’re trying to make, that makes you a comic fool, not a satirist. “Look how well Hitler satirized fascism by losing WWII!”

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I was disappointed that he became the permanent co-host but he's grown on me. I think JW balances him out okay.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

drygear posted:

I was disappointed that he became the permanent co-host but he's grown on me. I think JW balances him out okay.

I think both of them, but especially Collision, enjoy trolling us. After enough instances of “hey, let’s go on a ten minute rant about an obscure musician Jurgan has never heard of!” I’ve learned to ignore these bizarre tangents even when I think they’re off-base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Extremely geeky nitpick I will never get an excuse to bring up again: When they did Armor, they acted like the power armored suits were a weird addition to a war clearly based off of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, but they were misremembering because there was also power armor in Starship Troopers, if not in the movie.

There, now I may rest easy before someone shoves me in a locker