Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I've posted any photos because it's been a while since I've taken any photos, but these are from the summer and I'm just getting around to them so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At the lake

The farm

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 20, 2018

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

I'm way into this one.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm more a fan of this.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
So excited. Auction of one of my rare collectible rifles was able to cover last month's impulse bid/win of a Hassy 501CM kit. :dance:

Loaded it up with Ilford B&W and have had it hidden from the wife till I sold the rifle.

So many odd protruding gizmos on the lens. My main is a D700, this will take some slowing down to get used to.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 25, 2017

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's a few from recent outings

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Spedman, are you cropping down from 6x9s?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 28, 2017

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Yes, I like the ratio and the 6x9 gives me room to get the crop I want

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by glorge, on Flickr

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Is a bellows worth the extra cash over extension tubes for close-up work? Going to be solely using the 80mm that came with the kit for quite a while, but the minimum focusing distance is pretty extreme.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Hasselblad posted:

Is a bellows worth the extra cash over extension tubes for close-up work? Going to be solely using the 80mm that came with the kit for quite a while, but the minimum focusing distance is pretty extreme.

How close are we talking here?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hasselblad posted:

They don't really overlap very much in terms of real-world application. So... here's a quick rule of thumb for "normal" lens designs.

1 - At infinity focus, the optical center of the lens will be at 1x focal length from the film plane.
2 - At 1:1 macro, the optical center will be at 2x focal length from the film plane (at the expense of some significant light - you'll have to do exposure compensation).
3 - You actually want to undershoot just a smidge so you have room to focus back and forth in both directions. The 80mm CF has a bit under 9mm of extension baked into the helicoid.

My set of Hasselblad extension tubes is 10mm, 21mm, and 55mm, though I understand they made a set of four with 8/16/32/56 set as well.

With just the 10mm you can get from "unmodified minimum focus" down to about 10 inches on a side.
With just the 21mm you can get from 'about 8.5 inches" down to about 6 inches.
With 31mm (10+21) you can get from "a little under 6 inches" down to "about 4.5 inches" (notice how there are sharply diminishing returns here?)
With 55mm you're stuck in a very narrow range "near 3 inches on a side".
65mm (55+10) gets you very close to life size and 76mm (55+21) is pretty much "there" - the extension in the lens will let you get the few mm you need and focus around it.

Obviously these numbers are scaled back a bit if you're working with a longer lens... but that'll tighten your field of view anyways.

I forget the specifics, but IIRC the various Hasselblad bellows will start a little bit past 55mm and go way out to something ludicrous like 200mm or something. Great if you're using one of the dedicated macro lenses, kind of crazy with the 80mm. The bellows are a lot harder to handle and really require a tripod, but you can use the 10mm or 21mm pretty decently freehand if you're steady.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

The bellows gives you more flexibility in the close-up focusing range. With the tubes, you can get a similar range as Yond Cassius described but you'll have to keep swapping tubes whenever you focus out of range that each tube has, which can be irritating. I used the bellows with the 120mm and it was quite perfect, although the bellows was meant to be used with the 135mm lens.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

8th-snype posted:

How close are we talking here?

Dunno. What would get me to 1:1 or so with a 6x6 and 80mm? I like the idea of the flexibility/range of a bellows, but cannot wrap my head around the price compared to tubes. I suppose I could get a set and stack them if need be. Just adds more work for what is already a drawn out process.

Yond Cassius posted:

They don't really overlap very much in terms of real-world application. So... here's a quick rule of thumb for "normal" lens designs.

1 - At infinity focus, the optical center of the lens will be at 1x focal length from the film plane.
2 - At 1:1 macro, the optical center will be at 2x focal length from the film plane (at the expense of some significant light - you'll have to do exposure compensation).
3 - You actually want to undershoot just a smidge so you have room to focus back and forth in both directions. The 80mm CF has a bit under 9mm of extension baked into the helicoid.

My set of Hasselblad extension tubes is 10mm, 21mm, and 55mm, though I understand they made a set of four with 8/16/32/56 set as well.

With just the 10mm you can get from "unmodified minimum focus" down to about 10 inches on a side.
With just the 21mm you can get from 'about 8.5 inches" down to about 6 inches.
With 31mm (10+21) you can get from "a little under 6 inches" down to "about 4.5 inches" (notice how there are sharply diminishing returns here?)
With 55mm you're stuck in a very narrow range "near 3 inches on a side".
65mm (55+10) gets you very close to life size and 76mm (55+21) is pretty much "there" - the extension in the lens will let you get the few mm you need and focus around it.

Obviously these numbers are scaled back a bit if you're working with a longer lens... but that'll tighten your field of view anyways.

I forget the specifics, but IIRC the various Hasselblad bellows will start a little bit past 55mm and go way out to something ludicrous like 200mm or something. Great if you're using one of the dedicated macro lenses, kind of crazy with the 80mm. The bellows are a lot harder to handle and really require a tripod, but you can use the 10mm or 21mm pretty decently freehand if you're steady.

Wow, thanks. That is a lot to absorb. I saw a couple bellows with lens included, but $1k minimum was daunting. Seems like the tubes should do.
In regards to tripod, that's a given when I have done macro work with my D700 and could guarantee I'd do the same with the Hassy.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 1, 2018

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hasselblad posted:

Wow, thanks. That is a lot to absorb. I saw a couple bellows with lens included, but $1k minimum was daunting. Seems like the tubes should do.
In regards to tripod, that's a given when I have done macro work with my D700 and could guarantee I'd do the same with the Hassy.

Yeah, there's not really any such thing as handholding for 1:1, but you'll see people stick on the 10mm or 21mm alone to get that little bit extra under minimum focusing distance. It all depends on what you mean by "close up work".

As a rule of thumb, you'll want to add 1/4 stop exposure for 10mm, 1/2 stop for 21mm, and 1-1/2 stop for 55mm. These are reasonably linear for the ranges you'll be working with, so for 31mm you'd add 3/4 stop, for 76mm you'd add 2 stops, etc. The 9mm of back-and-forth adjustment in the lens is pretty small by comparison, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're doing critical slide film comparisons or something.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah I used to use the short ext tube to shoot portraits with my 150mm f/4 because that was the only way to get a frame filling composition. If you want 1:1 you want a bellows.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The bellows are large, heavy, and also cool

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Got my tubes in - 10, 21, 55. I initially panicked as I could not get the 10 to mount. Then I noticed that a couple screws had backed out juuuust enough to hinder things. Now I just need to start making exposures and figure out if I am going to do mail in or develop my own B&W and Slides.

edit: :dance:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Got my tubes in - 10, 21, 55. I initially panicked as I could not get the 10 to mount. Then I noticed that a couple screws had backed out juuuust enough to hinder things. Now I just need to start making exposures and figure out if I am going to do mail in or develop my own B&W and Slides.

edit: :dance:

Definitely develop your own black and white. It's dead simple.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

LF question here. The two sections of a Schneider 90/8 appear to be properly spaced in a Linhof Synchro-Compur #0 shutter, which makes sense since that's how they came originally. The lens is not properly spaced when put into an older 'just Compur' #0 shutter. I thought that Compur shutters of the same size would be interchangeable. What am I missing? How can I properly match a lens with the correct shutter if I am buying them separately?

The Linhof Synchro-Compur:

The old Compur:

A picture, from a different camera:

Frontier Trail by S M, on Flickr

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SMERSH Mouth posted:

LF question here. The two sections of a Schneider 90/8 appear to be properly spaced in a Linhof Synchro-Compur #0 shutter, which makes sense since that's how they came originally. The lens is not properly spaced when put into an older 'just Compur' #0 shutter. I thought that Compur shutters of the same size would be interchangeable. What am I missing? How can I properly match a lens with the correct shutter if I am buying them separately?

It depends. Some very old lenses were individually mated to shutters at the factory, usually by making the cells a little "short" and then fitting shims into the shutter body to get the spacing exactly right. Lose the shims and you're in for an expensive trip to a machinist's shop. Similarly, for a few designs (I found a reference to the Schneider Angulon 90/6.8, not sure about yours) Schneider actually milled out a few mm of metal from the shutters to let the front element sit further back.

Modern lenses are much better about their quality control, so for them, shutters should be pretty well interchangeable.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Saint-Chapelle de Paris

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dev'd some more Portra. Had some issues that I'm not certain weren't from me loving up when I finish the roll in terms of light exposure, guess I'll be super careful and see if I still have that issue. Some Vancouver shots:

Into the Mist by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

At attention by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

That Screamers Movie by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Finally started developing my own b&w again.

Scan-180124-0008 by Jordan Brown, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^What would you say is the all-in cost of getting the equipment and enough supplies to dev 5-10 rolls?

Riverview by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Riverview Tower by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Stairgrid by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

^What would you say is the all-in cost of getting the equipment and enough supplies to dev 5-10 rolls?
B&W is pretty cheap. For me in Europe it costs me €6.50 for a bottle of Rodinal that will do ~12 tanks full (so either 24 rolls of 135 or 12 rolls of 120). Fixer is cheaper and reusable so that's a rounding error as far as the cost is concerned. The water in my region is pretty hard so I use distilled water which is about 50¢ a litre. The cost per roll roll for chemistry comes in at less than €1 for 120 film and half that for 135.

For equipment, it cost me about €70 for a darkbag, a Paterson tank and some small sundries (measuring jugs, stopwatch, squeegee and a thing to hang over the shower rail for drying the film).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

B&W is pretty affordable once you have the setup. For color, 120, I'd estimate that I paid about $100-120 for materials (dark bag, dev tank, graduated cylinders and containers of various volumes, odds & ends like hanger clips and thermometers), not including a temperature control kit (homebrew or sous vide - tack on another $70-80). You can just use hot tap water and good timing, but it's easier to have water in a container being held at the correct temperature.

So an initial basic buy-in is more expensive than B&W, but not by a huge amount. You definitely need a lot of containers, though. For mixing the color chemicals.

Once set up, I go through a 1 liter kit of dev/blix/stab for every four to five rolls. Chem kits are $25-50 depending on brand. Some are more consistent and easier to mix, but they even a $25 Unicolor kit works fine.

I haven't done any MF shooting in a few weeks, though. Recently got a Bronica PG 65mm in apparent LNIB/NOS condition, but it was a real dud of a copy...maybe that's why it went unused for so long. So I don't have a wide-normal lens right now, just a tele-normal macro. And still waiting to fix the shutter for my 90mm 4x5 lens.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That makes me want to get out of my funk and shoot more.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Seafoam carpet would compliment an orange cat nicely.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

That makes me want to get out of my funk and shoot more.

Go go go!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

taqueria mestiza

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich