Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

SoftNum posted:

Just to dwell on doorgate some more... I think there's at least 2 (sets of) doors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBJ4RfkEPok

i think thats just the reverse side of the doorway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CrazyTolradi posted:

CIG LA just reminds me of the shitshow that was the Ion Storm office in Dallas, it just oozed that same level of over the top crap.

Indeed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SoftNum posted:

Just to dwell on doorgate some more... I think there's at least 2 (sets of) doors?

It's just the one set. Leads from some hallway into their big employee lounge area where the cafe is, IIRC

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPbXOHZW8co

Tiny spaceships!

Legal
Jan 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I mean he is correct. The door itself is not the expensive part of an automatic, security controlled, sliding door installation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CrazyTolradi posted:

CIG LA just reminds me of the shitshow that was the Ion Storm office in Dallas, it just oozed that same level of over the top crap.

One key difference: Romero has hair and thus Roberts has to compensate with lavish luxuries.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh, they advanced the timeline to the modern 40K. Neat, although they have to be kicking themselves over WFB.

Legal posted:

I mean he is correct. The door itself is not the expensive part of an automatic, security controlled, sliding door installation.

But it's vital to the whole doorness of a door.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

intardnation posted:

I see it as lemmings following them off

Small point, but Lemmings don't actually do that, the Disney film crew that made that 'documentary' threw and chased them cliffs and staged all the shots

https://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

He was a national treasure.

Bad news, you're on Kazoo.

Edit: \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKo8rHOvkcs&t=61s

:colbert:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Thoatse posted:

Small point, but Lemmings don't actually do that, the Disney film crew that made that 'documentary' threw and chased them cliffs and staged all the shots

https://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

That it was a fraud just makes the comparison even more apt.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

While I admire the choice of track; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

That’s a big rear end sandworm, but in spaaaaace!

Looks like Hannes and the other cinematics guys fully focused on Squadron 42 and totally not a shared resource for anything else have their marching orders for CitizenCon this year. You don’t want to lose this guy to a pretender.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2018

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Instead of wooden sliding doors, they should have gone for solid steel vault doors. A project such as Star Citizen deserves the security and fidelity that such doors would offer, anything less would be a compromise almost as bad as a fixed patch date.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

While I admire the choice of track; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM

Hehe that's amazing cheers dude :five:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

That it was a fraud just makes the comparison even more apt.

It really does, so all the more reason to include that small detail

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Godspeed Mark E Smith you beautiful crazy bastard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKXYeRCUzI

REST IN loving PEACE. what a legend, smashing life right in the bollocks till the last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVCckEdWM8

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
The Intel Star Citizen tie in was mentioned on one of LTT's videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggIjr5Z0N10&t=117s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

I may be more fascinated by this than anyone here so apologies in advance to anyone who finds this boring overkill. But FWIW, there's an interesting wrinkle in the Star Citizen stream-o-verse.

YOUTUBE: Dan Gheesling explains why he's cutting back on Star Citizen gameplay

He's put out 400+ videos of Star Citizen gameplay over the years, and anyone who has ever watched one knows he's the real deal non-shill space game nerd. I genuinely enjoy watching his goofy runarounds in the PU because the guy brings his own fun. I've laughed really hard at several of them just for his little recurring routines "e-grejus", "sliding into the DMs", "the official gold wheezy of the WHP", "let's goooooooooh", "butter server", etc and I was wrong to let the fleet whale disdain for the guy bias me harshly against him.

Anyway, in his update he states that with 3.0's launch, he feels like he's exhausted the available entertainment. He notes that the added scale of the 'verse reduces his likelihood for contact and without people to interact with, the place is pretty fun free. Interestingly, despite how much SC content he's added to his channel since 3.0's launch, he states that he's burned a lot of play sessions without bothering to upload them. There just wasn't enough there to be enjoyable viewing.

He gives additional meta about his channel engagement numbers between 2016 and 2017, and states his surprise at discovering the growth just wasn't there, and that Star Citizen videos -- which used to outperform -- have seen declining viewerships on the whole. He got some big pops with 3.0 content here and there, but on balance, it's underperforming, particularly when he spends a lot of time on gameplay he deems to boring to use. That time could be spend on other games with better gameplay and more viewer engagement potential.

So, he's reducing his Star Citizen content to twice a week. He's got nothing bad to say about the game, earnestly still has hopes for it down the road, but there's just not a lot of Fun to be found yet.

One commenter captures his own take on the decline:

I get the feeling in hindsight that Dan had already started mulling the cutback a little while ago. He was extremely curious what DevilDog's take was on haters, on the game itself, and in hindsight, it kinda seems like he's seen the numbers declining, the skepticism growing, the glacial pace of progress and is trying to figure out what, if anything, it all means. Good question, man. Keep asking.

This is just an additional random data point, a loyal streamer seeing declining interest in the game. But as we look back to the miraculous year-end revenue spikes that helped keep the narrative of stable growth and demand alive, we have yet to see any validation of external organic demand for the game. Saturation of the "hard core space sim buggy pre-alpha market" feels pretty real, and the one CIG-controlled demand barometer -- the funds tracker -- is just not convincing in light of receding interest, player disengagement and skepticism obvious elsewhere.

:tinfoil: -- If the tracker is capturing real transactions, then the question is how much is organic market demand and how much manipulation by parties with a vested interest in protecting an implausible narrative of sustained demand. That the tracker is allegedly going away quite soon is curious and begs its own questions. Why remove this when its proven useful in sustaining confidence? What is lost by the change is obvious, but what is gained exactly is unclear.

There are so many vectors converging on that single point in time known as the Collapse of Star Citizen that it's nearly impossible to track them all, but here you touch on two of them:

1) The game is already boring, and it's already old. People are tired of Star Citizen. No matter what they try to add, it will be the same non-game generic garbage (non-game generic high-fidelity garbage to be sure) and the game is already doomed to the scrapheap, regardless of completion status. Just not enough people give a gently caress. I'd compare it to Second Life, a game so niche and so insular that I have to check Wikipedia every few years to find out if it's still a thing. Star Citizen is consigned to the same fate at best. There's just no remaining interest in this title outside of the people who are already enslaved by it.

2) Related to above, too many excellent, functional, infinitely superior space games for those players who might have been interested in what Star Citizen promised, if only Star Citizen hadn't simultaneously promised everything and nothing at the same time. "You can be a space farmer!" "Cool, how?" "Buy this module!" "How does it work?" "No idea. Buy it." Star Citizen would be poo poo if it existed in a vacuum - but in a crowded market, it's an industry-wide joke, poised to become an even better-known joke far outside the industry.

I can't possibly stress this enough, and the evidence backing this assertion is literally everywhere - in every CIG broadcast, in every fan stream, in every screenshot: Star Citizen is not a game in development. There is literally not even the basic starting building blocks of a game or a plan for a game. Star Citizen has nothing but graphical assets and motion capture. We're 6 years in and nobody on the planet, least of all at CIG, knows what this game is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wiz posted:

Our Jenkins server makes hundreds of builds just for Stellaris every day (a handful of full nightly playable builds, and lots of smaller builds to test that stuff works). 15 builds a day really isn't much to brag about.
You say that, but do the Stellaris builds include an ungodly nightmare dimension where flesh is broken and reborn in a scornful mockery of god's intent?

You're bragging about stamping little coloured squares on a Rubik's cube while those brave souls are twisting the very fabric of code into Lemarchand boxes.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Scruffpuff posted:

There are so many vectors converging on that single point in time known as the Collapse of Star Citizen that it's nearly impossible to track them all, but here you touch on two of them:

1) The game is already boring, and it's already old. People are tired of Star Citizen. No matter what they try to add, it will be the same non-game generic garbage (non-game generic high-fidelity garbage to be sure) and the game is already doomed to the scrapheap, regardless of completion status. Just not enough people give a gently caress. I'd compare it to Second Life, a game so niche and so insular that I have to check Wikipedia every few years to find out if it's still a thing. Star Citizen is consigned to the same fate at best. There's just no remaining interest in this title outside of the people who are already enslaved by it.

2) Related to above, too many excellent, functional, infinitely superior space games for those players who might have been interested in what Star Citizen promised, if only Star Citizen hadn't simultaneously promised everything and nothing at the same time. "You can be a space farmer!" "Cool, how?" "Buy this module!" "How does it work?" "No idea. Buy it." Star Citizen would be poo poo if it existed in a vacuum - but in a crowded market, it's an industry-wide joke, poised to become an even better-known joke far outside the industry.

I can't possibly stress this enough, and the evidence backing this assertion is literally everywhere - in every CIG broadcast, in every fan stream, in every screenshot: Star Citizen is not a game in development. There is literally not even the basic starting building blocks of a game or a plan for a game. Star Citizen has nothing but graphical assets and motion capture. We're 6 years in and nobody on the planet, least of all at CIG, knows what this game is.

That's the best part about Star Citizen. Even if it's not a scam it's just not a fun game. It looks fidelitous sure, but it just looks boring. The flight model is atrocious. You'd think that'd be the first loving thing you'd iron out in a loving space game. Even if all that worked the whole concept of an open-world space game is just boring (look at E:D. I play it maybe a few hours a quarter and only because I have an HMD and the sound/flight model/juice is loving amazing). Freelancer is only decent because it's modifiable and you can play with your friends but that even gets boring after a few hours. Evochron is probably the closest to Freelancer of recent games and suffers from the same problems. EVE is for masochists (I played for 6 years so I can comment...). Star Citizen finally made me rethink my nostalgia for large space sims and honestly I just think the genre itself doesn't have much to offer in terms of fun.

The best space game to come out in the last few years has been Enemy StarfighterHouse of the Dying Sun. By loving far. And it's a single player hyper-focused ww2-in-space shoot mans game. One guy afaik did that and the flight model is actually fun, and it even has loving VR support. How can 5 studios working 24/7 not get anything to work at all (of course we all know it's because you gotta make that pixel green). Apart from HotDS I think the last great space game was probably... TIE Fighter? Yeah the CD version with the dynamic MIDI tracks...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

You say that, but do the Stellaris builds include an ungodly nightmare dimension where flesh is broken and reborn in a scornful mockery of god's intent?

You're bragging about stamping little coloured squares on a Rubik's cube while those brave souls are twisting the very fabric of code into Lemarchand boxes.

Event Horizon faction please.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AbsoluteLlama posted:

The best space game to come out in the last few years has been Enemy StarfighterHouse of the Dying Sun. By loving far. And it's a single player hyper-focused ww2-in-space shoot mans game. One guy afaik did that and the flight model is actually fun, and it even has loving VR support. How can 5 studios working 24/7 not get anything to work at all (of course we all know it's because you gotta make that pixel green). Apart from HotDS I think the last great space game was probably... TIE Fighter? Yeah the CD version with the dynamic MIDI tracks...

Everspace is pretty fun but the entire game is over as soon as you get the alien sniper gun.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AbsoluteLlama posted:

That's the best part about Star Citizen. Even if it's not a scam it's just not a fun game. It looks fidelitous sure, but it just looks boring. The flight model is atrocious. You'd think that'd be the first loving thing you'd iron out in a loving space game. Even if all that worked the whole concept of an open-world space game is just boring (look at E:D. I play it maybe a few hours a quarter and only because I have an HMD and the sound/flight model/juice is loving amazing). Freelancer is only decent because it's modifiable and you can play with your friends but that even gets boring after a few hours. Evochron is probably the closest to Freelancer of recent games and suffers from the same problems. EVE is for masochists (I played for 6 years so I can comment...). Star Citizen finally made me rethink my nostalgia for large space sims and honestly I just think the genre itself doesn't have much to offer in terms of fun.

BTW that one guy is a Goon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
And yeah basically, the more time your game spends in space, the less fun it is.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/221947723?t=16m22s

:gary: :yarg: :yarg:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Raskolnikov posted:

Event Horizon faction please.

Liberate tuteme ex spacegames.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/956289201129099264

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Crane6251/status/956278351555067906

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

AP posted:

quote:

As a one-time courtesy and the get you back into the 'Verse, we've reset your account. You should now be able to log in and continue playing as normal.

What the fuuuuuck? "one-time courtesy" You know this is impacting hundreds if not thousands of users right? You're going to fix them one at a time if they beg enough as a one-time favor? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Take the google form feedback and triple the absurdity every second.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 25, 2018

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

"As a one time courtesy for our buggy as gently caress game loving your character, we've decided to take pity on you and allow you to play. Notice we said one time - meaning if our poo poo fucks up again, tough titties.

P.s. All your 'progress' in our 'game' has been wiped. Lol

P.p.s Have you answered the call yet?

P.p.p.s Send money"

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Redacted Podcast
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/221947723?t=16m22s

@ 16:22
WTFOsaurus:
I heard you got a, you got some sort of ship? Some little, some starter ship or something?

Boredgamer:

Yeah, so I'm... I was the first person to get 2017 JAVELIN, ah, referrals... recruits, ahm... through the, ah, Star Citizen recruiting system thing that they did, which means that I get a... I got a JAVELIN, ahm...

WTFOsaurus:
So does that confirm you as a cult leader?

Boredgamer:
So I'm... I... WELL!... So this... so there's a couple of interesting things here, as far as I'm aware the recruitment referral system is open to EVERYONE, so everyone has a CHANCE of getting a JAVELIN, as long as they have a MASSIVE YouTube following for starters! Ah-haha! For Star Citizen!

Ahm, there's quite a... it's obviously... well a-HAHA! What I'm trying to say is that it wasn't really very well thought out as a referral bonus, like they should keep them to the hundred and under sort of thing that are OBTAINABLE by people...

(Javelin costs $3,000 according to https://starcitizen.tools/Javelin)

e: correct £ to $

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also, what type of rendering glitch involves resetting a user's ENTIRE ACCOUNT?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hahahaha holy gently caress their temporary "fix" involves wiping your account. That's the most CIG thing ever. And 3.1 isn't coming for another two months (and probably more) :laffo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This is so drat laughable. A one-time courtesy? JFC.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:tif:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is so drat laughable. A one-time courtesy? JFC.

"Boy howdy, I sure hope I don't get that bug again. Good thing SC BDSSE ALPHA 3.0.A.C.UQB is as stable as a rock" I think to myself, right before my spaceman turns inside out, becomes a ball of pure light, and shoots silently off into space.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

"Boy howdy, I sure hope I don't get that bug again. Good thing SC BDSSE ALPHA 3.0.A.C.UQB is as stable as a rock" I think to myself, right before my spaceman turns inside out, becomes a ball of pure light, and shoots silently off into space.

It's Robert's vision of a space fetus from 2001.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The Titanic posted:

Just out of curiosity, do you have a thumb like head and a possible toupee? What are your thoughts on crowd funding that never ends?

Sorry to disappoint, but no toupee and my head is pretty normal in shape. Perhaps a bit on the large side, but generally human in appearance. My actual thumbs are glorious, though. As for the crowd funding, dunno, I oscillate between great joy from the entertainment of it all and feeling grief from the sheer ridiculousness of how this scam can possibly continue to stay afloat. But as a post developer, I do get annoyed at how my words tend to get missing at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ironically this may be the only thing CIG can deliver on. :allears: