Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Well the 5-7% returns is in nominal terms, so you include inflation in that value. If you were to adjust for inflation then it cancels out on both sides and you would need, clearly, 3.1% real returns to break even. But it's pretty hard to tell what of your gains are real and what is inflation, so.

The loan rate is already nominal, you don't need to add inflation back in. You can compare nominal loan rate to nominal investment rate straight across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It’s because millennial are busy saving money by killing every single industry, as news media is so apt to point out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm only going to award that guy the "good with money" stamp if he was already itemizing and will be able to deduct 100% of the interest on what has got to be some type of mortgage.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

Please describe the length and girth of your dick:
    * Super huge
    * Very huge
    * Pretty huge
    * Definitely huge
    * Seriously dude, you gotta see this thing

If you have that much faith in the average person's ability to calculate net worth then you must not have been reading this thread for very long my dude.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In some places investment loan interest is deductible, so borrowing to invest can give you as little as half the nominal rate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wasn't the savings rate of people who grew up through the Depression higher also? Makes sense that some people would be a bit more cautious after seeing a lot of people lose everything in the late 2000s.

The unemployment rate for college graduates is also insanely low (like 2%) and Millennials are the most educated generation, so maybe they benefit from that. But it probably means non-college millennials are getting a disproportionate load of the bad stuff.

But I'm sure seeing their parents freak out after their home suddenly went $100k underwater helps.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I didn't see this posted. 1 in 6 Millennials have over $100k in savings and nearly half have $15k saved up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/23/millennials-1-6-now-have-100-000-socked-away/1053803001/

Kind of interesting to see the savings threads for Millennials during the period of time most people are taking on debt and making lots of stupid mistakes like Ford Mustangs and condos.

So a few things. 1) This isn't net worth, so it doesn't account for student loans, mortgage, etc. It's just money in accounts. 2) It's not terribly surprising that the top 16% or so of people are doing well; the median is more informative (and 47% at $15k between all accounts isn't exactly mind-blowing, though it is good news). 3) Millennials are getting pretty old now so many of them have had a decent opportunity to save up over 10-15 years, particularly in the ten or so years following the crash.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dogcow posted:

If you have that much faith in the average person's ability to calculate net worth then you must not have been reading this thread for very long my dude.
Yea, my post history in this thread is very long, and very stunning. Many attractive people have been stunned by the length and girth of my post history in this thread.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Reported for self posting

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There's no checkbox for: shaped like a corkscrew.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Reported for self posting
I knew one day my huge, throbbing hubris would take me down.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://ponzicoin.co/home.html

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

omg, the text at the bottom

This has gotten crazy out of hand, I apologize but we will no longer be selling PonziCoin on this site because this was a joke. I cannot terminate the contract but I will not be selling any coins that I own.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

omg, the text at the bottom

This has gotten crazy out of hand, I apologize but we will no longer be selling PonziCoin on this site because this was a joke. I cannot terminate the contract but I will not be selling any coins that I own.

It's even funnier given these bits of the FAQ:

quote:

Q: This seems like a great investment opportunity! I need to get back all the money I lost in BitConnect, so can I put my entire pension fund/college fund/retirement savings/second home mortgage in?

A: No, this is a joke. Don't put any significant amount of money in this, follow /r/personalfinance's advice and please don't invest more than you can lose in crypto.

Q: Is this a scam?

A: Yes, it's as much a scam as 99% of the ICOs out there, but it's more transparent about it :)

Q: Is this site secure?

A: We use Equifax-grade security.

Q: This seems to be too good to be true, how am I getting screwed?

A: It's a literal pyramid scheme. You are fairly likely to be one of the last people to buy PonziCoins, so another 100 tokens probably will not be sold and the price may not ever double again, in which case you could lose up to 75% of your investment. There's also a chance the contract runs out of money or gets hacked in which case you could lose all of your investment.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BWM 2018: I invest my companys funds in a ponzi and they run wit da money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

So a few things. 1) This isn't net worth, so it doesn't account for student loans, mortgage, etc. It's just money in accounts. 2) It's not terribly surprising that the top 16% or so of people are doing well; the median is more informative (and 47% at $15k between all accounts isn't exactly mind-blowing, though it is good news). 3) Millennials are getting pretty old now so many of them have had a decent opportunity to save up over 10-15 years, particularly in the ten or so years following the crash.

Oh sure. All of that is true. But I found another statistic had the average 401k balances at around $88k, but the average Millennial balance at $92k. Which means the average is being dragged down by people who've had decades more to save.

By all accounts Millennials are saving more earlier than older generations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Saving money by killing the Olive Garden.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Saving money by killing the Olive Garden.

Bullshit, they love endless breadsticks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Bullshit, they love endless breadsticks.

That’s not at Olive Garden though... It’s in my pants.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

Considering how common fears are about social security evaporating by the time we reach retirement age combined with general assumptions that the economy has been wrecked enough that we'll probably never have things as nice as our parents did while working a similar class of job(no comment on how realistic either is, because :can:), it's not hard to see why.

That and it's easier than ever to find good info about personal finance(including retirement savings), instead of relying on some schlub at Edward Jones or hearsay from your parents/friends for it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Check back in ten years and see how much of those kids' money went to keeping their broke parents from starving in retirement. :shepicide:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sundae posted:

Check back in ten years and see how much of those kids' money went to keeping their broke parents from starving in retirement. :shepicide:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Let them starve.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They should have stocked up at Costco before we killed them. :smug:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SlapActionJackson posted:

The loan rate is already nominal, you don't need to add inflation back in. You can compare nominal loan rate to nominal investment rate straight across.

Oh right, because loan interest + inflation = real dollars.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7rg45m/texas_invested_my_company_money_in_ponzi_and_lost/?st=JCQB8Z5D&sh=49a47982

Was this posted yet because lolololol

"I didnt do nothin wrong tho."

ahahahahaaaaa

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

That’s not at Olive Garden though... It’s in my pants.

I doubt it, but I would believe you last as long as one Olive Garden breadstick

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

drat, how did people miss this one?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moneyball posted:

drat, how did people miss this one?

Phanatic posted it last page.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Phanatic posted it last page.

:thunk: no this is the first I’m seeing it. Definitely isn’t the third time it’s been posted here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh sure. All of that is true. But I found another statistic had the average 401k balances at around $88k, but the average Millennial balance at $92k. Which means the average is being dragged down by people who've had decades more to save.

That's really awesome, can you share the source?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Haifisch posted:

Considering how common fears are about social security evaporating by the time we reach retirement age combined with general assumptions that the economy has been wrecked enough that we'll probably never have things as nice as our parents did while working a similar class of job(no comment on how realistic either is, because :can:), it's not hard to see why.

That and it's easier than ever to find good info about personal finance(including retirement savings), instead of relying on some schlub at Edward Jones or hearsay from your parents/friends for it.

Could've had a slight payroll tax increase on high earners but hey, seeing 20-30 years of my SS contributions vanish into the ether is freedom.

Edit: It took me like 5-7 years to find a decent 401K match. Every company used 2008 to take them away. Where the gently caress are all these millenials finding jobs that have them?!!?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 25, 2018

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Could've had a slight payroll tax increase on high earners but hey, seeing 20-30 years of my SS contributions vanish into the ether is freedom.

You do realize that SS is a "pay-as-you-go" scheme, meaning your SS contributions have already vanished into the ether (aka your grandparents bank accounts), regardless of what is done to "fix" SS this time around.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

SlapActionJackson posted:

You do realize that SS is a "pay-as-you-go" scheme, meaning your SS contributions have already vanished into the ether (aka your grandparents bank accounts), regardless of what is done to "fix" SS this time around.

Yes, and I'm sure you understood that I'm talking about SS being solvent unless you're being unintentionally obtuse instead of the standard intentionally obtuse

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Higgy posted:

:thunk: no this is the first I’m seeing it. Definitely isn’t the third time it’s been posted here.

Investing in Bitconnect still makes me laugh though. I've been watching the pump on youtube where those youtuber returns were entirely commissions. I should investigate to see if the comments on the videos are death threats.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can see there being a difference whereby older generations, particular those who've worked in government, have actual pensions rather than retirement accounts with their own money in it which presumably wouldn't show up in these figures.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

I can see there being a difference whereby older generations, particular those who've worked in government, have actual pensions rather than retirement accounts with their own money in it which presumably wouldn't show up in these figures.

Probably, but the problem with pensions is that you're tied to one job for life. Unless you've also contributed to a IRA, by the time you've got 10+ years in, your employer has you by the short hairs. Like I don't know anyone who got a pension who actually liked their job by the end. Almost everyone of my parents, uncles and aunts, and grandparents hated their companies by the time they retired.

You can earn more by moving jobs and taking your retirement with you. You just actually need the forethought to save on your own.

Vox Nihili posted:

That's really awesome, can you share the source?

I can't find the article now, but I think it was on Forbes. I did find a bunch of other articles that play into the same results though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/07/26/millennials-may-far-retirement-but-think-ahead-401-k/510665001/

https://www.planadviser.com/millennials-better-savers-than-boomers/

Considering 401k contribution and participation rates increase with age, those are some pretty good numbers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I worked at a place that had a solid gold pension plan.

Turnover was super low, people were miserable and you couldn't change anything because you'd upset the old timers. I'm talking referring to print outs for repetitive entries and transferring data from one database to another by retyping it.

When I left I pulled the money out and put it into an RSP. Glad I didn't spend another 30 years there.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Probably, but the problem with pensions is that you're tied to one job for life.

Nah, once you're vested, you can just get another job somewhere else and you'll still get a pension payout. It won't be as high as if you stayed for 40 years, but that's true of companies with 401(k) matching as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

Nah, once you're vested, you can just get another job somewhere else and you'll still get a pension payout. It won't be as high as if you stayed for 40 years, but that's true of companies with 401(k) matching as well.

Listening to people bitch about pensions, there's a big difference between 25 years of service and 30 years. I imagine a handful of 5 to 10 year service pensions would be miserable. As for company 401k vesting, most do it in 5 years or less.

I get it, defined benefit is generally better than defined contribution in that it requires zero effort and if you want more you can save more. But it also means you have to work at the same job forever in order to make a decent retirement.