Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I lit here was a time when cyclops did nothing but dress in red and black and deliver monologue. That was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Habibi posted:

Counterpoint: Professor X / Patrick Stewart. Somewhere in my parents' storage is a 1993 Wizard magazine testifying to this.

Oh yeah people were calling that for years on the basis "beloved genre actor" and "is bald".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Setting aside everyone having a supermodel body because comics, pretty much none of the male X-Men in particular look like people who could be real, as they are drawn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And if the costumes in the movies matched the ones in the comics over the years, they'd be rated NC-17.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah people were calling that for years on the basis "beloved genre actor" and "is bald".

And has a classically trained voice, so inspiring speeches SOUND inspiring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samizdata posted:

And has a classically trained voice, so inspiring speeches SOUND inspiring.

All that and I think throughout the movies he only gets dumped out of the wheelchair once IIRC.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though didn't one of the first class sequels have him gain and lose his ability to walk? Good to know that persistent story line continued at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Though didn't one of the first class sequels have him gain and lose his ability to walk? Good to know that persistent story line continued at least.

Days of Future Past.

Yeah, he became addicted to the medicine that allowed him to walk, but I think it also blocked or hosed up his abilities as well. I don't remember the full effects, it's been ages since I watched that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Days of Future Past.

Yeah, he became addicted to the medicine that allowed him to walk, but I think it also blocked or hosed up his abilities as well. I don't remember the full effects, it's been ages since I watched that.

It was a trade. Either you could walk and no telepathy, or telepathy but no legs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Days of Future Past.

You have it a bit backwards. He was addicted to not having powers because he could hear all the people he thought he couldn’t help. The walking was the side effect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Right. I guessed I had it wrong, but I remember he was extremely resistant to stopping.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is this still the Netflix thread?

What do you guys think would be a good character to tackle moving forward? Moon Knight seems obvious but what if they did something not connected to the MCU like ROM? I'd really dig a Netflix Elric series or even Conan. Maybe something wild like Devil Dinosaur.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

What do you guys think would be a good character to tackle moving forward? Moon Knight seems obvious but what if they did something not connected to the MCU like ROM? I'd really dig a Netflix Elric series or even Conan. Maybe something wild like Devil Dinosaur.

The Netflix and Marvel thread. Otherwise, I would discuss how good I thought The End of The F*^%ing World was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I tell you what I want. "Phase 1" of the Netflix shows was "Defenders." I want "Phase 2" to be "Midnight Sons." Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blade, Hellstorm, Nightstalkers. Take the supernatural element that the Hand awkwardly inserted into Defenders and run with it (without the Hand). They kind of have their fill of street heroes, especially if they're continuing the shows. So add a twist by having the same basic punch/kick heroes but with supernatural spin.

I might be a little more pricy but Disney has money and Netflix just spit out Bright so it can't be a dealbreaker if Marvel has a real plan.

The one "Defenders" series I'd like to see add is an ensemble Heroes for Hires with Luke, Danny, Misty, and Colleen (and I guess Claire). Just something a little more team orientated without the need to try and force something for a Defenders S2. And that gives Misty and Colleen more showcase.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Midnight Sons you're describing is something I've wanted since I was like 13, so I have no expectation that it will ever happen. No point getting my hopes up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I loved Matt's interactions with Jessica in Defenders, so I'd like to see more of them together. Frank could be a nice addition to that mix, too.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Was ghost rider good in agents of shield? I haven’t watched for a long time

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yep.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

After the corpse fire of Iron Fist, I'd love to see a competently-made Shang-Chi series. I guess I haven't learned my lesson about magic ninjas.

But yeah, Blade and Moon Knight would be amazing. My weird pitch: Jennifer Kale re-interpreted as a sort of female John Constantine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The challenge of a Shang-Chi series is that a good martial arts film requires time and attentive camera work. Marvel TV isn't consistent where that's concerned; Daredevil S1 and the Punisher are head and shoulders above the rest.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hercules and Amadeus Cho buddy series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well, that, and the fact that Jean-Luc Picard was basically Charles Xavier with a bit more on the leg front and a bit less telepathy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I tell you what I want. "Phase 1" of the Netflix shows was "Defenders." I want "Phase 2" to be "Midnight Sons." Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blade, Hellstorm, Nightstalkers. Take the supernatural element that the Hand awkwardly inserted into Defenders and run with it (without the Hand). They kind of have their fill of street heroes, especially if they're continuing the shows. So add a twist by having the same basic punch/kick heroes but with supernatural spin.

I might be a little more pricy but Disney has money and Netflix just spit out Bright so it can't be a dealbreaker if Marvel has a real plan.

The one "Defenders" series I'd like to see add is an ensemble Heroes for Hires with Luke, Danny, Misty, and Colleen (and I guess Claire). Just something a little more team orientated without the need to try and force something for a Defenders S2. And that gives Misty and Colleen more showcase.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Midnight Sons you're describing is something I've wanted since I was like 13, so I have no expectation that it will ever happen. No point getting my hopes up.

I would SO tune in for Midnight Sons.

Netflix Marvel goon rush here? https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'd love a Midnight Sons run, it's something I think I've mentioned on here before. But does Netflix have any shot at getting any more new Marvel shows now that Disney will be doing their streaming service in a year or so? I figure we got a season or two left in all their current series, and maybe another Defenders series to close it out. Disney could move them over feasibly though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

ROM is IDW now, not Marvel.

Billzasilver posted:

So good.

Xealot posted:

But yeah, Blade and Moon Knight would be amazing. My weird pitch: Jennifer Kale re-interpreted as a sort of female John Constantine.

I would love this Midnight Sons idea. Near the end of the Danny Ketch Ghost Rider comics, they had Johnny Blaze do something similar, he was free of the curse and searching for his family, accompanied by Jennifer Kale.

Of course, it being comics, Johnny couldn't be free of Zarathos because status quo when the writer was a child, so...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Flaming. Chain. Whip.

Granted they probably blew the entire seasons SFX budget on Ghost Rider, but he looks good.

https://i.imgur.com/FhiSdkw.mp4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Granted they probably blew the entire seasons SFX budget on Ghost Rider, but he looks good.

I read that the most SFX intensive episode was the second last episode last season (the one where AIDA learns about rejection). Presumably because it has the flooding base sequence, the robots, and AIDA's amazing teleport sequence.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Billzasilver posted:

Well, this happened.

Also:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'd kill to see an adaptation of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raserys posted:

I'd kill to see an adaptation of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight.

Frankly, any Warren Ellis would make me happy. Look how good the Castlevania series turned out, IMO.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ghostrider is fun but you kind of have to make him his own, new thing in any show or movie because he’s arguably one of the 5 most powerful Marvel characters and the scope of his abilities is just barely understood but he’s pretty much as S-Tier as you can get.

(He lost to the Punisher because his main attack, Penance Stare, didn’t work on Frank because he literally feels no remorse for the murders he’s committed)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My Midnight Sons idea is probably an unrealistic elevation of stakes and power. Like you start with Moon Knight doing street stuff and have him come at odds with Morbius or something. Then you do Blade where he's just slashing up vampires while he chases down a book or emblem or macguffin of some kind with supernatural powers and links to evil poo poo. Then Ghost Rider is frying criminals but its all an end to real evil poo poo and demons. And then Hellstorm is trying to stop his sister Santana from literally raising hell or some poo poo like that.

So yeah... its probably way, way, too much. But its fun to think about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

(He lost to the Punisher because his main attack, Penance Stare, didn’t work on Frank because he literally feels no remorse for the murders he’s committed)

That's dumb, because most characters in comics have no remorse, especially the evil ones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dont even fink about it posted:

That's dumb, because most characters in comics have no remorse, especially the evil ones.

Yeah, it seems like Ghost Rider would encounter a lot of people who don't regret the poo poo they did.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Samizdata posted:

Frankly, any Warren Ellis would make me happy. Look how good the Castlevania series turned out, IMO.

imo the castlevania series was kinda poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There was a pilot based on Global Frequency, but it was never picked up. I haven't seen it myself.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Penance Stare makes you feel all the pain you've inflicted upon the innocent at once, until you break eye contact.

Frank just doesn't care, he knows he's hellbound and has an iron will.

Interesting development in some Marvel comics recently, apparently...

Anyway, most Marvel bad guys aren't that level of monster, the Stare will work on most of them. And if it doesn't, that's what the chains and hellfire are for.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Penance Stare makes you feel all the pain you've inflicted upon the innocent at once, until you break eye contact.

Frank just doesn't care, he knows he's hellbound and has an iron will.

I thought Frank's thing was that he goes out of his way to ensure he never injures anyone innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crashbee posted:

I thought Frank's thing was that he goes out of his way to ensure he never injures anyone innocent.

Yes, but he still murders a lot of people.