Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

People complain about casters being overpowered on 3/5e but my biggest loving gripe with them is that dailies/encounters were incredibly better than having to carry loving bat poo poo all the time to cast fireball and having to track which spells you are using during the day and how easily your GM could gently caress you over with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

I liked a post that about the Mearls tweet that was like "The guy who brought back vancian casting and spell components complaining about rules complexity and gatekeeping is unbelievable"

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/955558545872662528

and here I am thinking "why the hell is your game so hard to understand that people need to be mentored to get it?"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
"There are too many orcs for us to face with swords alone. Quick batman, poop into my hand!"

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, that's fine, it's kind of not what D&D has become, but Dying Earth is a cool series.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no one actually plays d&d 5e RAW anyway so it doesn't really matter how complex it is

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that old onion article thats like "man passionately defends what he assumes the constitution says", except it's everyone's vague idea about spell components and skill DCs

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

no one actually plays d&d 5e RAW anyway so it doesn't really matter how complex it is

Yep, this is why the best game is no game. Cheapest buy in, no preconceptions to constrain you, only possibilities. Sky's the limit!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'd rather play Lasers and Feelings than 5e so maybe you are onto something...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd rather have, a buffalo, take a diarrhea dump in my ear

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Spell components can be cool to RP out but RAW in 5E they're almost a complete nonissue unless you're stuck in a dungeon for days on end and/or separated from your arcane focus, I don't think there's as much rule flubbing happening here as you might expect. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, wasn't Mearls jsut a guy who wanted Wizards to always be the best and also made boring, barely functional classes?

I never pegged him as an evil mastermind who hated 4e, just a nerd with regressive design taste.
Mearls is a hack who failed upward because Wizards isn't interested in investing much into D&D. The team got pared down to (AFAIK) a handful of people who have never worked outside the D20 playpen. He's the perfect guy to have as Head of Creative when corporate doesn't want to do anything creative. A Lou Avery, if you will.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

and here I am thinking "why the hell is your game so hard to understand that people need to be mentored to get it?"

I think it’s reasonable to mentor someone to be a better GM.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to mentor someone to understand a rule set. Something is messed up there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

I kind of like the implied logic of "if you' know the rules and are not out there actively pushing our game and training people to play it, why, you're a gatekeeper!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mearls blocking women who were disagreeing with his implying that they can't understand setting lore and rules was cool too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The real gatekeepers are the people who selfishly refuse to do the work of our marketing department for free.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

Mearls blocking women who were disagreeing with his implying that they can't understand setting lore and rules was cool too

yeah this was the real headscratcher for me as well, moreso than the irony of mearls saying it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mearls jumping on the bandwagon of becoming a dishonest woke ally is the most predictable thing in the universe. If his social media feed were curated a little differently he'd be a Proud Boy.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Countblanc posted:

that old onion article thats like "man passionately defends what he assumes the constitution says", except it's everyone's vague idea about spell components and skill DCs

One could say the D&D license is a pretty good metaphor for the current state of American democracy: An outdated system that once set the standard, but still riddled with problems solved long ago by its imitators, mostly due to an entrenched fan base that despises change.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

One could say the D&D license is a pretty good metaphor for the current state of American democracy: An outdated system that once set the standard, but still riddled with problems solved long ago by its imitators, mostly due to an entrenched fan base that despises change.

Stop

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
No, keep going, I'm almost there.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Simian_Prime posted:

we just got the thread unlocked you dummy

Serf
May 5, 2011

i guess if by "the standard" you mean "terrible bullshit" then yeah that's accurate

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Did I miss the chance to make a "the real gatekeepers were the friends we made along the way" joke?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

D&D, much like American democracy, is imperfect -- but significantly better than people who are only interested in telling just-so stories rather than participating give it credit for

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also in that i sincerely apologize for the effects of its foreign policy :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Simian_Prime posted:

Also, it has always been obsessed with going into other people's homes and mass murdering them and taking all their stuff

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_pio0uCG0

this music video is the most accurate depiction of the universe of Unknown Armies

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, it has always been obsessed with going into other people's homes and mass murdering them and taking all their stuff
:nixon:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Moriatti posted:

I'd rather play Lasers and Feelings than 5e so maybe you are onto something...

Was Lasers and Feelings a hack of Trollbabe, or the other way around?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

hyphz posted:

Was Lasers and Feelings a hack of Trollbabe, or the other way around?

Trollbabe is 2002 so probably the former.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

D&D, much like American democracy, is imperfect -- but significantly better than people who are only interested in telling just-so stories rather than participating give it credit for

quote:

mostly due to an entrenched fan base that despises change.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

are you coming at me for not wanting D&D to change or just repeating your already-lame joke

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

are you coming at me for not wanting D&D to change or just repeating your already-lame joke

Nobody’s coming at you dude this isn’t RPGSite or grade-school recess

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: you know on second thought i think i misread you

i'm just kind of tired of criticisms of how much D&D sucks from the general direction of "because it should be Dungeon World," regardless of whether that's actually what you were saying

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I had a fascinating discussion today about role-playing and dnd that I wanted to recap here because it was inspired by a number of interesting points.
Basic point #1: Podcasts and twitch/YouTube replays of actual gaming combined with shows like Stranger Things etc. inspire people to seek out role-playing because "that looks cool"
Basic point #2: Role-playing can be divided in a wide variety of style, rules and genres, but mostly focuses on fantastical journey/narrative-games or mathematically heavy mechanical play
Basic point #3: DnD, as coming from war gaming origin, might not even simulate role-play at all, but rather is an amalgamated/varied war gaming experience that accidentally also allows for role-playing parts of it.
Basic point #4: The most successful genre of movies/books/narratives of any kind aren´t fantasy/sci-fi/whatever you think. It´s romance & general human drama.
Basic point #5: At any moment there are more successful real life narrative games/shows without any fantastic imagery on screen/available as books/comics than any role-playing game offers.

Based on those three points the discussion actually went around quite a bit, but it focused on a very interesting thought. With the rise of podcast and video replays, we see an ever greater number of people joining the ranks of role-players, as well as an extension of actual genres. However, how do we discern such tastes if we only ever offer the fantastical? The success of trash TV about making moonshine in Mississippi and talent shows, casting in general, cooking shows, soccer and related sports etc, there´s also been a rise of simulators and games for their particular ilk. For heaven´s sake, Cooking Mama is an enormous franchise with hundreds of millions of dollars worth. But I´ve yet to see a role-playing game try to snatch up the growing group of farmers yearning for a Seed Farmer RPG, or a Soccer Team RPG (imagine something like this where the final boss battle of an evening is the actual game. Instead of combat feats, you have ball manoeuvres etc. You can do this for just about every sport really) or something similar. Are we just caught up in our bottle of escapist fantasy or is this just a sector or genre that´s yet to grow out of the numerous indies currently flooding the pdf and general rpg market?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There are a fair amount of RPGs that go for a more realistic route or cover sports or what-have-you, but they are really really niche even within an already niche hobby because people who enjoy soccer are going to either go outside and play soccer or watch soccer on TV. The fantastical element seems so intrinsic to tabletop games because it permeates the most popular ones, which are popular because they offer experiences that would be impossible to replicate otherwise. I can't Indiana Jones my way through a cursed temple to kill some wizard nerd and steal his poo poo in real life.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
D&D, much like American politics, is fundamentally about killing things and taking their stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think some of it is a feedback loop where the types of gameplay that are most commonly used to simulate combat (and sports) have been refined on for so long that, if you're purely interested in mechanics, it's tempting to just decide you might as well build on those rather than trying to invent new good mechanics from scratch and get them to simulate something different.

Another is that tabletop has pretty specific costs and advantages compared to video games -- what about a farm simulator game demands a GM, or the kind of improvisational freedom that TRPGs offer, or 4-6 players who are always on board to play at a scheduled time, that can't be satisfied by Harvest Moon?

All the scheduling and bookkeeping and so on is enough overhead that TRPGs aren't really the "natural" solution to the question of "how do I make a game out of subject matter <X>?" -- instead you've got a hobby that's mostly about playing the kind of game that could only be a TRPG, which then coincidentally because it was founded by nerds is mostly fluffed as fantasy / sci-fi.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
D&D is actually like the french republic in that

okay I had a joke here but it required me to claim that the french fourth republic was good, so never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I mean, the first one was pretty good until Robespierre had his psychotic break.

Would that make Louis-Napoleon AD&D or Hackmaster?