Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

A sweet ending for a bad episode. Chris Carter has no grasp of his own character in Scully. Worried about aging, having kids--asking Mulder to hold her? I totally didn't understand their relationship so I'm glad they're back together, by the way. They live together and she's giving him funny looks about ordering the suite?

Props to the make up people for Chucky, I didn't clock that as a woman or the same actress until his second scene.

Can't wait for the Darin Morgan episode next week.

Edit: oh and her religious beliefs were a lot more important to her in the original series than she implied here. And it's silly to point out at this point but really, ghosts aren't real? C'mon Scully

Wax Lion fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Spoiler I guess:

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/953809292120948736

@GillianA: ATTHS. Twice. 😏 #TheXFiles https://t.co/xyXWXaTe3Y

ATTHS means And Then They Had Sex

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gravitee posted:

Spoiler I guess:

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/953809292120948736

@GillianA: ATTHS. Twice. 😏 #TheXFiles https://t.co/xyXWXaTe3Y

ATTHS means And Then They Had Sex

Aww yeah.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This felt a lot more like what the revival should be, spooky weird poo poo is going on and Mulder and Scully are together for the most part. They're still an awkward mess but that doesn't seem surprising given everything that's gone down. Plus they avoided over-explaining what was going on, a few these revival episodes have felt the need to spell everything out so clearly and it's nice to have a little more ambiguity.

Edit: They do need to take it easy on altering "The Truth Is Out There" in the title sequence though. In the original run it was a big loving deal when it changed to sort of pseudo-philosophical crap, if you do it every week it loses the punch. That said I did title a presentation at work last week "Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate" so I'm part of the problem.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 18, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm avoiding this season but keeping up with this thread. What in particular is happening to bring this up?

She kept talking about how old she was.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Now that was an x files episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So, Mulder and Scully save the day by being...hot? Is that what the takeaway is supposed to be?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

wtf the thread ate my other reply

That was probably the most solid Carter-penned episode we've had so far. It was still dumb at points, but at least it didn't feel like it was edited by someone high on adderall. The Scully characterization was stupid too but welp, Carter.

Darin Morgan ep's next week :woop:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It has that curse where it will eat whichever post is supposed to start a new page. Then the post after that one actually will start a new page.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Chris Carter.....episode.....good?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

that was pretty much classic good x-files

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

J33uk posted:

This felt a lot more like what the revival should be, spooky weird poo poo is going on and Mulder and Scully are together for the most part. They're still an awkward mess but that doesn't seem surprising given everything that's gone down. Plus they avoided over-explaining what was going on, a few these revival episodes have felt the need to spell everything out so clearly and it's nice to have a little more ambiguity.

Edit: They do need to take it easy on altering "The Truth Is Out There" in the title sequence though. In the original run it was a big loving deal when it changed to sort of pseudo-philosophical crap, if you do it every week it loses the punch. That said I did title a presentation at work last week "Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate" so I'm part of the problem.

Wasn’t that one the most gratuitous instance, used in a weak-rear end immigrant-fear plot, with a really tenuous link to anything that happens in the episode?

You should have used the Navajo one, imo.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Chris Carter.....episode.....good?

A redeeming distinction of this episode is that, unlike all the other Carter-penned episodes since the revival, someone else directed it. Kevin Hooks is new to X-Files, his directing credits are mostly Prison Break episodes, the finale of Netflix's Punisher and the Prison Break movie. There's also the terrific portrayal of Karin Konoval (and gently caress, that is some helluva work by the makeup artists) who knocks it out of the park once again. Plus a touching, if somewhat clumsy scene with Mulder and Scully where they talk about their future and what is to come for them.

Thanks to all that it's much easier to overlook the flimsy setting for the case, the fact that Carter basically just wrote again that S7 ep with Kathy Griffin, and the dumb handling of Scully at points (her skepticism about ghosts doesn't work twenty-some years later). Also, as a shipper myself, I think Carter could've eased on the shipping a li'l bit too, cuz as adorable as it was to see them together like that, the MOTW story suffered a bit from it. There was some dark stuff they definitely could've explored that was taken up by Scully's insecurities during the second act.

Oh, and it's not nausea-inducing! :v:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 18, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly all she’d have to say is that just because it was ghosts like eight other times, it’s still relatively unlikely that it would turn out to be ghosts this time. That seems more like a classic Scully position.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I always wished they had brought back the werewolf from season one. If I remember right it was supposed to come back every 17 years or something like that. Seems like they had that story element several times now that I think of it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ignis posted:

her skepticism about ghosts doesn't work twenty-some years later

I was basically yelling at my screen "Bitch! You have personally had experiences with ghosts on multiple occasions!!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think whatever talent any of these people had, is long gone. The show, had one of the cooler looks around for a TV show. Especially when all the episodes went to HD. It was so stylish and moody. Now everything looks generic like an average crap Fox action show.

Also the editor is loving dreadful and it has some of the worst most incomprehensible editing I've ever seen. Especially in the lovely Langly phone episode, which was awful. There must've been over 60 cuts during the raid sequence. Like, holy poo poo. It's just cutting for the sake of it.

Bring on Darren Morgan's episode so I can put this show out of it's misery in my mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The credits call the one waitress in this episode “attractive waitress.” What’s going on there?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

business hammocks posted:

The credits call the one waitress in this episode “attractive waitress.” What’s going on there?

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".

She's in the cafe scene with the lawyer guy. He hits on her, and she rejects him. (It's just before he sees his double through the window.)

There's nothing inherently creepy about it, if that's what you're suggesting, unless you're gesturing at sexism in general.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".=

Hell, that's where Well-Manicured Man got his name from.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's a principal part, and they're typically given one or two word descriptors that relate to their role on the show, like "Creepy Man" or "Eager Customer".

She's in the cafe scene with the lawyer guy. He hits on her, and she rejects him. (It's just before he sees his double through the window.)

There's nothing inherently creepy about it, if that's what you're suggesting, unless you're gesturing at sexism in general.

I’ve never noticed an adjective that wasn’t distinguishing one similar character from another (like if there’s more than one man with a speaking part in the same location or multiple old men in conspiracy scenes) and there was just the one waitress. I wasn’t aware it was an industry practice to give characters like that a descriptive name. Everyone else was just boring poo poo like “nurse” or “clerk” or whatever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Happens all the time with extras and bit parts, male or female.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Wax Lion posted:

Props to the make up people for Chucky, I didn't clock that as a woman or the same actress until his second scene.

Nor did I recognize her as Mrs. Peacock

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Hell, that's where Well-Manicured Man got his name from.

Didn't the one credited as "Red-Haired Man" not actually have red hair?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if that one guy was named First Elder because they couldn’t find a distinctive trait of his that they could name in a flattering or neutral way (old but not the oldest man, neck-waddle man, fat man, cheap haircut man, wheezy-voiced man).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

While this wasn't exactly a classic episode, it felt like classic X Files, from the cold open to the way the case progressed. I'll take that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

business hammocks posted:

I wonder if that one guy was named First Elder because they couldn’t find a distinctive trait of his that they could name in a flattering or neutral way (old but not the oldest man, neck-waddle man, fat man, cheap haircut man, wheezy-voiced man).

Don S. Williams?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lamb posted:

Nor did I recognize her as Mrs. Peacock

Holy poo poo you're right. :aaa:

She's got a hell of a range. I just watched her in Dirk Gently's 2nd season too.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
She was also The Engineer on Travelers S1.

sticklefifer posted:

Holy poo poo you're right. :aaa:

She's got a hell of a range. I just watched her in Dirk Gently's 2nd season too.

:chanpop:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

sticklefifer posted:

Oh man. Never woulda noticed. I'm bad with actors though.

Alright I just read the thread all the way back to the beginning of the season and I don't think anyone mentioned this (but watch me be wrong), but what in hell was the point of changing the En Ami audio in My Struggle III (garbage episode all around but I can't at all complain because after S10 I just expect each Carter episode to be worse than the one before) from "I carried you" to "We carried you, my housekeeper and I ... you can ask her"? Did someone decide it didn't seem feasible for CGB to have carried Scully into the house by himself without waking her up, but two people could do it? Or, more likely, because they added the revelation that he'd impregnated her then, having the presence of another person makes it seem less objectionable? Like in the sense of "well he obviously didn't rape-rape her; his housekeeper was there". I don't know if it was only because I'd recently rewatched En Ami, but the audio edit seemed really noticeable and awkward to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Usually been watching this the day after on Hulu, but a Darin Morgan episode gets a live watch from me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Little kid Mulder was hilarious.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

Little kid Mulder was hilarious.

So was the Twilight Zone. Fun episode so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just let Darin Morgan write all the episodes already.

It's always been Ozzie's Razor.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 25, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ahahahahahahahaha, the record skip

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mulder is right though, it's parallel universes!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ka-Blam

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This montage is unfuckingbelievable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Part of me hated that montage, and part of me loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"I've lost the plot"

• Locked thread