Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

:piss:

:piaa:

Except this happened because the smilie purchasing broke. Required admin intervention to make :piss: work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Inescapable Duck posted:

Usually, the idea comes up in a thread and overenthusiastic random goons buy them before the thread consensus has settled on a particular one and miss the obvious flaws.

Right, but how even does one purchase a smiley with the same tag?
code:
:emptyquote:
is the tag for both of them so one of them is never going to be able to be used.

razorfront is the best thing I've seen on these forums

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I thought for sure that we had
:gary:
:yarg:
:yrag:

but I was mistaken.

But then I found out that the smilies have alt text on the smilies bbcode page and now I'm gonna lose an hour finding all of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Right, but how even does one purchase a smiley with the same tag?
code:
:emptyquote:
is the tag for both of them so one of them is never going to be able to be used.

razorfront is the best thing I've seen on these forums

The empty quote smilies were brought within literal seconds of each other, so no downtime for the system to block one from being brought

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mandatory lesbian posted:

The empty quote smilies were brought within literal seconds of each other, so no downtime for the system to block one from being brought
Poor emptyquote001 was uploaded first and never even had a chance to get used :( It looks like the tag uses emptyquote002.png

http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/smilies/f/f/emptyquote.001.png
http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/smilies/f/f/emptyquote.002.png

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does the system need downtime? A few seconds is a lot of computer time!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subjunctive posted:

Why does the system need downtime? A few seconds is a lot of computer time!

Because Radium, most likely

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fair enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sometimes it takes as much as 30 minutes for new smilies to actually be added to the list, I don't know much about computer stuff but I'm pretty sure that's not ideal

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Sometimes it takes as much as 30 minutes for new smilies to actually be added to the list, I don't know much about computer stuff but I'm pretty sure that's not ideal

If the magnetic tape reels on the SA server spin too fast, the tape breaks, and then Debbie at the front desk has to stop answering the phone and go tape it again, and they don't even make the right brand of sellotape anymore for fixing magnetic reels, so she has to use the off-brand stuff, which never really fixes the problem...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone knows the forums are kept running by tiny elves who live in server racks, and they keep quitting to go back to working for Santa Claus. The conditions suck but the bonuses are great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SomethingAwful's artisanal smilies are each handcrafted by skilled goons and lovingly coded by servers that care. It may take a little longer for the smilies to be added, but that just comes with the quality and craftsmanship that you get with a genuine SomethingAwful smilie.

:robble:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This forum would not have anywhere near as much interesting folklore (necessitating a thread like this) if the software worked at all well. :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be honest, I'm not sure there's a social media website that isn't run on the programming equivalent of duct tape and string, has a near-incomprehensible interface probably by design, hasn't changed its formatting in a decade at least, or some combination of the above.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SA is still maintained by radium, the elemental manifestation of bad programming, under a series of false identities to trick lowtax into rehiring him every time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
wheres the like button

and the REALLY like button

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

wheres the like button

and the REALLY like button

They're both the Report button

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Where's the like like button?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Where's the like like button?

It ate your shield

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's not a smilie but can someone tell me the origin of the 'Poor Y, thought of X and died'?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

It's not a smilie but can someone tell me the origin of the 'Poor Y, thought of X and died'?

I think Ruddah was talking about how lovely horses were and said "Poor old Freckles, thought about ants and died." There was a lot more to the posts and a lot more examples, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

http://fishmech.tumblr.com/post/127359129398/horses

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Good ol' Fishmech. :allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's up with the Assless chaps gang tag? I've seen it with something about the AGDQ Awful Block - I'm guessing it has something to do with the SA thread for this year's AGDQ?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oxyclean posted:

What's up with the Assless chaps gang tag? I've seen it with something about the AGDQ Awful Block - I'm guessing it has something to do with the SA thread for this year's AGDQ?

I dunno about the thread, but this year's Awful Block featured a game where the out-of-bounds glitch the runners were exploiting also caused the main character's rear end/groin region to disappear. Said main character is the little turbaned dude in the gangtag.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Antivehicular posted:

I dunno about the thread, but this year's Awful Block featured a game where the out-of-bounds glitch the runners were exploiting also caused the main character's rear end/groin region to disappear. Said main character is the little turbaned dude in the gangtag.

That's pretty much the whole story. The AGDQ chat thread went bonkers during the awful block and some ideas for a gang tag were posted so we put them together and people bought it. v:v:v

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just thought it was a mra response to girls who squat on tinder

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Your Computer posted:

That's pretty much the whole story. The AGDQ chat thread went bonkers during the awful block and some ideas for a gang tag were posted so we put them together and people bought it. v:v:v

EmmyOk posted:

I just thought it was a mra response to girls who squat on tinder
Sight unseen, I'd give those both even odds.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosSNHRPWZA&t=2089s

It's literally just this chap, who is assless.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Don't horses also get spooked if you walk around behind their back, because they see you with one eye, then they briefly don't see you anymore and completely forget you exist, then suddenly they see you with the other eye and freak out and likely kick you in the chest or face? so when you have to go behind their back, you have to keep a hand on their rear end the whole time so they won't think you stopped existing as soon you left their sight?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Much like goons, really

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Much like goons, really

I need a hand on my rear end at all times or else I start freaking out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No one wants to touch my rear end, so I'm in a perpetual state of agitation :smith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

Don't horses also get spooked if you walk around behind their back, because they see you with one eye, then they briefly don't see you anymore and completely forget you exist, then suddenly they see you with the other eye and freak out and likely kick you in the chest or face? so when you have to go behind their back, you have to keep a hand on their rear end the whole time so they won't think you stopped existing as soon you left their sight?

It’s less that they forget you exist, and more a risk mitigation of “if this horse freaks out and kicks me I’m in deep poo poo, I’ll give a helpful reminder that I’m still here and I’m not a monster about to eat them.”

So they’re still dumb, but they at least still have object permanence

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Horses do have object permanence but the connection between their left and right hemisphere is worse than an ancient 56k modem that's connected with a bunch of loose wires that shortcircuit half the time.

So the left side of their brain doesn't really know what their right side is doing and vice versa. One half of their brain might get spooked if you go around their back.

Also, it's not like their short-term memory lasts long. Apparently they did a test once with a horse on one side of an arena, and a couple of buckets on the other. They'd drop a horse snack in one bucket and use something to cover the smell, and it turned out the average horse only knew which bucket to go to to get the snack if they were released within 3 seconds.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
horses are dumb loving animals and it kind of astounds me that they haven't gone extinct

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

horses are dumb loving animals and it kind of astounds me that they haven't gone extinct

i mean they couldn't if they tried (and they do) people are breeding them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, wild horses evolved natively in places like the Mongolian plains, which are nature's sensory deprivation chamber.

Plus, racehorses are a super skittish and probably overly inbred case, ponies are more belligerent little shits and work horses tend to be huge and super chill.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Carbon dioxide posted:

Horses do have object permanence but the connection between their left and right hemisphere is worse than an ancient 56k modem that's connected with a bunch of loose wires that shortcircuit half the time.

So the left side of their brain doesn't really know what their right side is doing and vice versa. One half of their brain might get spooked if you go around their back.

That's "better" than a complete lack of object permanence because it's not even predictable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They're pretty fast.