Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I remember saying to my (already ex) wife "I'm ready for this final episode to gently caress ME UP emotionally," and boy, I didn't realize the extent of it when I went into Part 18.

Part 18 destroyed your marriage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

We're well beyond the need for spoiler tags, eh?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Def some timeline fuckery going on. Butterfly effect and all that. Except the butterfly makes no sense and sounds like this pt pt pt pt pt

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ep 18 legitimately caused me to confront my depression and seek positive life changes.
It sounds really stupid and cliche, but it changed my life.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm finally watching the Blu-ray extras, what do people think about the Jason S. films/behind the scenes things? I'm really mixed so far. The actual scenes of Lynch and the crew are pretty great but I feel like I'm completely missing something when it comes to these weirdly narrated interstitials. Do they add up to anything interesting?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

eSporks posted:

Ep 18 legitimately caused me to confront my depression and seek positive life changes.

Same but episode 8

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm finally watching the Blu-ray extras, what do people think about the Jason S. films/behind the scenes things? I'm really mixed so far. The actual scenes of Lynch and the crew are pretty great but I feel like I'm completely missing something when it comes to these weirdly narrated interstitials. Do they add up to anything interesting?

That stuff is stupid but it's like 2 minutes bookending each hour of raw Lynch footage. Don't read too much into it. It's not like Lynch was writing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that stuff is super loving annoying but it’s worth it. Plus some of the drone shots are nice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

eSporks posted:

The entire thing changed the way I look at how I create art and the nature of identity in what we put into the world. I really, really don’t like to gush over heroes and idols and all that but Lynch has taught me so much about life and art. It’s a little crazy.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Episode 18 was definitely my favorite of the season. It perfectly encapsulated the eccentricity of the Twin Peaks universe.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

That little cricket chirp/strange noise when Laura vanished off screen was probably the single most offputting thing in the entire show. Not sure what about it got to me so much

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
hard to imagine this one as anything other than a code

then there's the different colored Rancho Rosa titles, but that's more likely just an artistic choice

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that stuff is super loving annoying but it’s worth it. Plus some of the drone shots are nice.
I didn't care for the way things were presented either. But I did find the footage fascinating and a good complement to The Art Life. He is so guarded at describing his work in interviews and he always seems to be putting on a bit of an act in public appearances, so it was cool to see how he actually is as a person and as a director.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

that ivy guy posted:

That little cricket chirp/strange noise when Laura vanished off screen was probably the single most offputting thing in the entire show. Not sure what about it got to me so much

Since you didn't mention it, it's the same sound the Fireman plays Coop in the very first scene of the season, and I remember already feeling a bit intrigued but perturbed.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The narration was incredibly cringe-worthy faux Herzog. I'm assuming the guy who did it is the nephew of whoever owns Showtime or something.

As you said though: the cast and crew stuff is great!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My favorite takeaway from the extras so far is the fact that Robert Forster apparently never watched the original series. "So these two had a romance?" Talking about Bobby and Laura. :lol:

I thought his performance ended up being good, once I got over original Truman being left out.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ubiquitous_ posted:

encapsulated the eccentricity

I read this as, "captured the electricity," and I'm somehow okay with my mis-interpretation.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Haven't posted an update on my first time watch-thru in a while because I've slowed down my pace even more. I must say it does get tedious IMO if you watch consecutive episodes between 5-7, 9-15, because it takes its time and Lynch is definitely teasing and harassing me.

Like, that scenes with Bobby coming across that maniacal woman in a rush in her car, then a kid has a seizure and vomits up goo. Um, OK. I'm sure that will be explained later just like all the other random poo poo... Heh.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

that's def one of my favorite scenes in the show

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah that's really really high on the list of great scenes, up there with the screaming glasses girl and Mr Jackpots

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
yeah that's definitely one of my favorite scenes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thats one of the most important and best scenes by far

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It made me laugh and then recoil in horror. Which is what Lynch is so perfect at.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what's amazing about that scene is how much happens, it goes from shelly and bobby talking to their daughter, to red showing up, to it all being interrupted and it's just like the world shifts between the audiences feet just like it does bobby, because it all escalates so neatly but so dang quickly.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its bobby's dream

his alarm is going off

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The Policeman's Dream.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Maarak posted:

The Policeman's Dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOr7w2FE9k

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We were watching this via showtime on Amazon which I cancelled immediately. I found out when looking over my CC statements this month that I am separately paying for the showtime website, because I am dumb. Considering an s3 rewatch...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm rewatching the entirety of Twin Peaks, one episode a day until I get to S3 which I want to marathon. I may take breaks between seasons but I'll try and keep up.

It's already super weird to watch the pilot with S3 in mind, because I keep wondering how much of S3 was in Lynch and Frost's mind when they were filming this. Most likely not much, but I still can't help but think of it. Pretty much every scene with Sarah feels very strange, for one.

Cooper is kind of acting like a dick. Feels like he wasn't fully fleshed out yet in the pilot.

James status: cool. So far it holds up.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can guarantee that nothing of s3 was in either of their minds while filming the pilot.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I remember somebody on my facebook feed being amazed at how lynch had this whole thing meticulously planned out 25 years ago lol. he's said in several interviews that they were basically making poo poo up as they went along (like how things like bob and the red room were conceived during shooting)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Frankly reality is even more impressive than having a “grand master plan”. Just being able to turn poo poo and serendipity into something that affecting is nothing short of astounding.

Like, most of the season 2 finale was basically tossed and re-improvised by Lynch on the fly and it’s just one of the best things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 1: Cooper is rapidly on the way to the Coop we remember and love. Sarah is having unstable moods and visions of a certain set dresser which are, if anything, even creepier in hindsight, and I can already absolutely see where the idea for her S3 portrayal came from. Pete is making fish coffee.

James: the wool jumper and the goofy grin he gives Donna are not cool. But he's playing it cool, the meet-the-parents thing, and I feel that oughta count.

Talked to a friend today about the show and she said she'd only ever seen the first two or three episodes, years ago. I'm starting to wonder if that means she never even got to the Red Room. I think if you're watching Twin Peaks today and wondering what the deal is, that's what's gonna hook you.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Talked to a friend today about the show and she said she'd only ever seen the first two or three episodes, years ago. I'm starting to wonder if that means she never even got to the Red Room. I think if you're watching Twin Peaks today and wondering what the deal is, that's what's gonna hook you.
I was watching S1 with a friend a few months ago, and I was really anticipating their reaction to the red room scene. They didn't say a word or give any other kind of reaction. Afterwards I was like "Pretty weird huh?" and she was like "Yep, good dream sequence..." I think she stopped watching a few episodes later.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Did the guy who picked up on Bob being a nuclear bomb reference from the original series ever finish season 3? If so can I get his reading on it because that is an opinion I value.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m gonna wait a year or two before I do a complete rewatch. I only watched season 3 just once during the air dates and everything is still incredibly vivid in my mind.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Finished watching s3 a few weeks ago and hell, I'm still thinking about it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 2: the Red Room scene may not in fact be what hooks you. The first one kinda just comes across as weird for its own sake and I'd love to know what audiences thought of it back in the day. MIKE's recitation of the poem and subsequent monologue feel like the early 90s prototype of the ending to S3 episode 8. Actually, if you know what's to come regarding the Black Lodge stuff - and not even in S3, just the first two - these first glimpses of it still feel improperly fleshed out. Cooper's definitely found his stride by now, though.

James is barely in this episode. Status unchanged.

e: E3: to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding the show's not for them after this one. The soap opera aspects get painfully overt sometimes and 25 years remove a lot of context with the media landscape.

Fighting someone at a funeral isn't very cool. Being in a secret society, though? Totally.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2018

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's already super weird to watch the pilot with S3 in mind, because I keep wondering how much of S3 was in Lynch and Frost's mind when they were filming this. Most likely not much, but I still can't help but think of it. Pretty much every scene with Sarah feels very strange, for one.

The International Pilot presents the red room stuff from Episode 2 with a preface that says "25 Years Later..." which is why Kyle is in old man makeup. It also establishes BOB as an evil entity created by a "convenience store." Episode 3 has Cooper admitting that his supernatural sense of intuition was a gift to him in a dream.

I mean, I agree that they are making a lot of it up as they go along (which makes some of the crazier theories linking The Return to throwaway joke dialogue in the original series really funny), but I have a feeling they had an idea of where the show would be headed, even if it would have been presented in a completely different way on Season 6 of the hypothetical original show rather than The Return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I knew Twin Peaks was for me when Leland threw himself onto the coffin.