Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

sounds like you went to a psychiatrist which was my mistake too

i think you specifically want a psychologist be it a PsyD or other board certified therapist

A lot of them will also have RX agreements with an MD (e.g. one in the same practice group) so you can still get happy pills and calm pills and attention pills.

Often cheaper, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jony neuemonic posted:

lolllllll, went to therapy. they:

- only talked to me for 20 mins
- asked nothing but leading questions
- interrupted me multiple times

then dumped a prescription for an ssri on me. fuckin pill pushers.

wait was this your first time talking to them?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

sounds like you went to a psychiatrist which was my mistake too

i think you specifically want a psychologist be it a PsyD or other board certified therapist

seems likely, i went through the public system so it was just "go see this guy," will have to do some digging and find someone myself i guess.

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait was this your first time talking to them?

yessir.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on starting a program for generating window quotes:

"leading provider of fenestration software"

heh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have a specially made camping backpack because I have an especially short torso. :rip:?

whoa just like this person in sla-oh dammit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i of course get external frame packs a: because theyre out of fashion and not really Optimal but good enough and well built, and b: i can clamp a ham radio antenna to it and traipse thru the woods

hell yeah

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

whoa just like this person in sla-oh dammit

You got birded. :birddrugs:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sounds like another first time talking to a therapist is in your future cause that's kinda hosed imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WrenP-Complete posted:

You got birded. :birddrugs:

the chaos squawk

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jony neuemonic posted:

seems likely, i went through the public system so it was just "go see this guy," will have to do some digging and find someone myself i guess.

yessir.

that's uh

sounds like malpractice but i have no clue how this stuff works

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Schadenboner posted:

Without making a FERPA thing, what is it they were threatening to fight about?

the student in question felt that they were talented enough to skip over three prerequisite classes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I went to the shady rear end eastern European market near my house and got this can of weird fish

Gonna open it and post the innards and eat it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

jony neuemonic posted:

yessir.

saying "let me tell you about the breakthrough i had in therapy!" is super cliched but it's true that after enough introspection you do start to have those moments where you suddenly realize something about yourself that changes your outlook on the world.

the first time something like that happened to me it was probably after like four months of going to a therapist weekly, worrying that i didn't know what to say, this is stupid and why am i doing it, there are other people with bigger problems than me, yada yada. then something just clicked and i was like, wow, i would never have come to this point on my own in a million years. this has genuinely changed who i am as a person. pretty cool

anyway find a therapist, not a psychiatrist (note that you may have to pay for this because they aren't doctors) and stick with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Butt posted:

I went to the shady rear end eastern European market near my house and got this can of weird fish

you should get a can of surstromming

Apr 7, 2003

ahahaha, no. I'll eat just about anything but I draw the line at surstromming. I don't even think you can buy it here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that’s encouraging to read. ferreting this kind of poo poo out can be an infuriatingly long process.

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that liquid rear end looks like it’s got a pretty solid track record.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

that’s encouraging to read. ferreting this kind of poo poo out can be an infuriatingly long process.

you do just really have to do it regularly. after my mom died when i was a teenager i went to a therapist for a while but did it every 2 weeks and it was mostly like "well, here's an update for what's happened since we talked last, okay, i guess the time's up" and it was not really helpful. if someone's really a mess (like, incapacitated by their issues, on the edge of hospitalization) the usual recommendation is to have appointments twice a week and add in things like group therapy to fill the gaps. once a week is good for most people.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of the classic indicators which confirms that someone you know is an alcoholic is when they flip out at any criticism of their drinking

My therapist has been on vacation the past two weeks, unfortunately.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You know bikes are relatively cheap, right? Like, you could save for a week or two and buy yourself a bitchin' huffy.
yea bikes are cheap and you can spend $200-$500 for super great bike that's about 90% as good as a $2000 bike, especially if a used one. but "bike culture" is definitely ol whitepeopling.txt with 55 year old white lawyers, doctors and poo poo, at least here in marin/sf area seem so anyways

i keep meaning to learn how to redo cables and stuff and really tune it up, my brakes sticks to the wheel taking more effort, and one squeels, one of them doesnt really apply enough pressure to stop even within 200-ft of holding it down. i bought some replacement poo poo nad tools but i tried once and it took half a day to replace one, did a bad job, and well... :effort:

but eh gets me to the train station.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its really fun and rewarding to wrench on bikes and really you dont need the whole park tool catalog, get the couple three weird bottom bracket wrenches and some really good long allen keys and you are in super good shape

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
app idea: a bicycle wheel truing assistant that listens to you tap each spoke and counts the frequency to tell you which ones are under or over tensioned

Apr 7, 2003

app idea: An app to summon a contractor who rides your bike for you, so you can talk about how cool you are for riding a bike but don't have to actually deal with doing it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

but "bike culture" is definitely ol whitepeopling.txt with 55 year old white lawyers, doctors and poo poo, at least here in marin/sf area seem so anyways

it’s become a mans thing over here too, bunch of corporate guys all going riding up a mountain without a woman in site. at least if you want to cynically adopt a sport for career reasons you don’t have to buy golf clubs any more

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

app idea: a bicycle wheel truing assistant that listens to you tap each spoke and counts the frequency to tell you which ones are under or over tensioned

tbh that could be nice if it was free but most apps dont even work. i wanted to get a truing stand but i have no where to put it. the wheels are definitely a bit wobbly though after i crashed once and hasn't been right every since.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i dated a girl who would eat that poo poo. not regularly or anything but she bought it to try it and actually ate the loving thing.

she also ate grubs.

she was hardcore.

Apr 7, 2003

I'd eat grubs. Rotten fish is right the gently caress out though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

one of the garages i used to work in had a bicycle shop in the front. every once in a while the bike shop guy would walk out into the auto garage with a rim and tire in his hand that needed straightening. he’d spin the wheel in his hands, eyeballing where the adjustment was needed, and then suddenly start smacking the assembly on the shop floor (only making contact with the tire). he’d spin it, wallop it on the floor a few times, spin it once more, and then go back up front.

it was alway entertaining to watch.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dated a girl who would eat that poo poo. not regularly or anything but she bought it to try it and actually ate the loving thing.

she also ate grubs.

she was hardcore.
*microwaves u some fermented rotten fish in the kitchen/breakroom*

hey want some??

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i of course get external frame packs a: because theyre out of fashion and not really Optimal but good enough and well built, and b: i can clamp a ham radio antenna to it and traipse thru the woods

hell yeah

Would hike through mountains w/ ham man

Not carrying your batteries though those things have weight

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cant you rig it to use some 18650s? pretty light and id have to imagine they'd last you weeks. if you start to freeze to death you can set yourself on fire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you can do this with any guitar tuning app though once you know the appropriate note

ducati has you tension their engines' timing belts by sound and for $150 will sell you a rebranded $10 electronic guitar tuner with a ducati logo on it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i bought a can of octopus packed in ink and i have no idea what to do with it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

octopus takes a long cook. it may be precooked or it may not be, but either way it'll take a long slow simmer or some time in the pressure cooker.

alternative, only if it's not precooked, is to broil or grill for a short enough time that it doesn't stiffen

most acids are good complements. a choice condiment is half gochujang half rice vinegar

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

eat it, canned fish things are good

Apr 7, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Vigo brand? I've eaten that. It's good poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

(You can put it on risotto btw)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

cant you rig it to use some 18650s? pretty light and id have to imagine they'd last you weeks. if you start to freeze to death you can set yourself on fire

lipo is the way forward you can get whole setups. sniep has a sick rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

saying "let me tell you about the breakthrough i had in therapy!" is super cliched but it's true that after enough introspection you do start to have those moments where you suddenly realize something about yourself that changes your outlook on the world.

the first time something like that happened to me it was probably after like four months of going to a therapist weekly, worrying that i didn't know what to say, this is stupid and why am i doing it, there are other people with bigger problems than me, yada yada. then something just clicked and i was like, wow, i would never have come to this point on my own in a million years. this has genuinely changed who i am as a person. pretty cool

anyway find a therapist, not a psychiatrist (note that you may have to pay for this because they aren't doctors) and stick with it

yeah, gonna stop derailing about it after this but thankfully i already have a good counsellor i can reach out to again. i was mostly worried about something being seriously wrong because things have been bad lately, so i’m not opposed to medication at all but that didn’t feel like we did nearly enough to establish the problem, let alone to throw meds at it.