Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah "some anime is incomprehensible unless you're already a weeaboo" is one of the coldest takes about anime imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Much like when reading postmodernist fiction you have to let everything that happens in Eromanga-Sensei wash over you and try to make sense of it later

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just finished binge watching this and goddamn

I'm sad

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

DisDisDis posted:

Much like when reading postmodernist fiction you have to let everything that happens in Eromanga-Sensei wash over you and try to make sense of it later

i'd really rather not

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If people think of anime as being uniquely insular, it's because there's a much bigger global demand for it than any other non-American country, and that demand elevates its profile. French animation for instance is extremely impenetrable, and it mostly has to do with its navel-gazing.

The Gatchaman reboot is a pretty great example of how something that would seem insular because it utilizes a decades long established property, really isn't at all. You don't have to know anything about Gatchaman, or Battle of the Planets to appreciate Gatchaman: Crowds, and Crybaby pulls off the same thing only with a much wider release on Netflix.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DisDisDis posted:

honestly you bringing that up basically made it click for me

there's a lot of anime targeted toward weeb shits that is pretty much about anime, and probably completely loving incomprehensible unless you're already really familiar with anime fandom in Japan because it's assuming you're going into it with a deep knowledge of that poo poo already. Lucky Star or that I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying show or Genshiken would be more... uh, benign examples of this phenomenon (less so Genshiken than the other two IIRC but it's there). it's not all anime, and it's not even necessarily a large chunk of anime, but it tends to get outsized prominence in anime discussion communities because the loudest weeaboos are the ones who tend to actually understand that poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who spends that much money on 10 episodes?

me, immediately after i found out it would actually have english subs

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
unlike the version on Netflix, which... i guess doesn't? :psyduck:

e: like, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would buy the BDs, it's not like we can't watch the series easily already and they give a poo poo about streaming numbers waaaay more than physical media sales.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would buy the BDs, it's not like we can't watch the series easily already and they give a poo poo about streaming numbers waaaay more than physical media sales.

the netflix version absolutely has an English dub

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Netflix takes stuff off of the streaming service all the time, and while I'm sure Crybaby will be streaming for probably years to come it's good to have the insurance of a physical copy. That said, I wouldn't buy blu rays unless they came with some special features that are actually worthwhile, if a show is still streaming.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

netflix has rear end video quality, also the bluray comes with exclusive goods and is an additional way for me to support yuasa

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Considering Netflix helped fund Crybaby, wouldn't they be able to stream it legally for free indefinitely? If that's the case it doesn't seem like there would be much reason to take it off.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

dogsicle posted:

netflix has rear end video quality, also the bluray comes with exclusive goods and is an additional way for me to support yuasa

these seem like the most important reasons. especially the last one.

i'm of a mind that it's important to show support to media creators who are creating content you enjoy. it fuels the cycle so they can keep it up.

that said, i'm not in a position to spend that much money myself right now. but it does look nice.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Considering Netflix helped fund Crybaby, wouldn't they be able to stream it legally for free indefinitely? If that's the case it doesn't seem like there would be much reason to take it off.

Who knows what the fickle minds at streaming networks will do. Maybe an executive team will be replaced the the new ones will decide to get rid of all the shows they had a hand in green-lighting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

This, essentially

Also: watching it on Netflix encourages Netflix to throw more fucktons of money at Yuasa to make cool poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

Who knows what the fickle minds at streaming networks will do. Maybe an executive team will be replaced the the new ones will decide to get rid of all the shows they had a hand in green-lighting.

there is absolutely no way in hell they would do that. that would be completely insane.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I should add that if Crybaby gets a blu-ray release in the U.S. I'll 100% buy it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want that soundtrack. I doubly want it on vinyl. Not for $300 though lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dogsicle posted:

me, immediately after i found out it would actually have english subs

I will be waiting for the english blu ray that will have all the same features and a japanese voice track and english subtitles but for a price that isn't absurd.

(The real price is waiting for it to come out, if it ever does)

Alan_Shore posted:

I want that soundtrack. I doubly want it on vinyl. Not for $300 though lol

:yossame:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

will the bluray come with updated animation? obviously there's no censoring to remove

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i assume the production had way fewer time constraints so there's probably not much need to touch anything up. i don't think any of yuasa's other shows have had ovas on their disc releases either.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The box set they're planning for May of 2019 is really impressive but boy. $295. Yikes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Raxivace posted:

I should add that if Crybaby gets a blu-ray release in the U.S. I'll 100% buy it.

Netflix has physical releases for several of their other original projects, iirc, so it's just a matter of time.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'd buy Crybaby but not for the price of a game system

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anime fans realize that the medium is strange of strange tropes they take as given, and in denial try to argue that yandere is a respectable storytelling tradition stretching back to Elizabethan theatre because Ophelia is mad.

I wanted to say that this is a bad post since you're already banned and probated for a month.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, I logged into Netflix today and after seeing the trailer play (couldn't reach the mute button in time :D), I saw the letters "Watch Season 1 Now" and curiosity got the better of me: Did they announce / has there been any rumors about a potential second season? Hopefully Devil Lady but more hopefully Violence Jack?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It would be entirely in keeping with the Go Nagai ExperienceTM for the sequel to Crybaby to be some kind of insane fusion of Violence Jack and Devilman Lady.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What if Netflix just kept paying new directors to do Devilman again but with an extra moon each time?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jesus Christ that was an EXPERIENCE.

I went into this blind and I honestly don't know what to say. It's easily one of the best things I've ever watched anime or not. It was such a surreal experience and I did not expect that ending. I thought it was going to be a hero story and that he'd save Miki but,

It's been a week and I still don't know how to talk about this. I need to re-watch it for sure.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It would be entirely in keeping with the Go Nagai ExperienceTM for the sequel to Crybaby to be some kind of insane fusion of Violence Jack and Devilman Lady.

Violence Jill

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Improbable Lobster posted:

What if Netflix just kept paying new directors to do Devilman again but with an extra moon each time?

this is unironically my hope

like, it's not like Devilman is a premise you can't keep riffing on. Nagai himself has remade the loving thing at least twice, and there's countless anime that's basically just Devilman all over again. get Shinichiro Watanabe and Takeshi Koike and Mamoru Oshii to do their own takes on the plot and you've got me hard already.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wark Say posted:

So, I logged into Netflix today and after seeing the trailer play (couldn't reach the mute button in time :D), I saw the letters "Watch Season 1 Now" and curiosity got the better of me: Did they announce / has there been any rumors about a potential second season? Hopefully Devil Lady but more hopefully Violence Jack?

Doesn't Netflix call a lot of things "season one" by default? That has been my experience. It's not impossible to see a sequel one day in the future, although I doubt Yuasa would return so another cool director would need to be hired, but I don't think we should read too much into that specific detail.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Most Devilman spinoffs seem very dodgy/creepy and maybe a really good director could salvage them, but I feel like doing something like Violence Jack would be a safer bet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah no everything is 'season 1' even if it got cancelled after one years ago.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
let's take this in an alternate direction and get Sciencesaru's version of Cyborg 009

They could make it into the Fast and Furious except with cyborgs and also half of them aren't insufferable and it doesn't take seven hours to get good

and if they did change the character designs, they'd know better than to make everyone generically handsome like in those dogshit cg movies

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if Netflix paid Oshii to direct one of these he'd probably make it an awful live action series

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman crossover is pure fanservice. I kept falling asleep trying to watch it because it's so exposition heavy that my brain died.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Get the Mine Fujiko lady to direct one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

yamamoto could do a great devilman lady, or cutey honey even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

wielder posted:

Doesn't Netflix call a lot of things "season one" by default? At that has been my experience. It's not impossible to see a sequel one day in the future, although I doubt Yuasa would return so another cool director would need to be hired, but I don't think we should read too much into that specific detail.
Oh, well I'll be. I should probably use my Netflix account more often. :cheeky:

DisDisDis posted:

Sayo Yamamoto or Mari Okada?

Honestly, I'm fine with either of them.

• Locked thread