Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A couple from the christmas bird count yesterday. I didn't think hummingbird shot would work because of the chain link but I think it was farther away from the fence than I realized.

Pt. Isabel Annas Hummingbird-9744 on Flickr

also this sexy beast.
Turkeys- Sunset View cemetery-0026 , on Flickr

Tom between two Tom's
Tom hanging out with two Thomas graves-9948 on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_8562.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Turkey beards are such a weird thing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Word. Turkeys have a lot of weird stuff going on.

Wildcat Eucalyptus Owl-0138 on Flickr

Wildcat Bushtit Square-0144 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I was so happy to see temperatures in the -30 range for a change since I was finally getting some owls again, but it's back above zero again today.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I was so happy to see temperatures in the above zero range because gently caress standing around when the air temperature is -30 with a -37 windchill in a spot where there's zero protection from the wind.

Rough-legged Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

This is a different Prairie Falcon than last time, it doesn't have the weird toe and there's a bit of noticeable/identifiable damage to the tip of one of the feathers on the right wing. A juvenile Prairie has also been showing up

Prairie Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Prairie Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Balmy here, although the light was crap. Missed the king tide by 2 hours but the Ridgway's Rails put on a pretty good show.

Arrowhead Ridgways Rail-0524 on Flickr

Arrowhead Ridgways Rail-0468 on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Quick sample of the filming I've been working on for a little video project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcThkD1qQXQ

The D500 isn't the easiest or best body to film with (none of the live tracking autofocus that bodies like the GH5 have) but if you can deal with or ameliorate the limitations it can create some beautiful high-bitrate 4K footage (it seems to vary based on the scene but 120-145 Mbps). Paired with the Nikon 200-500mm lens it makes some real pretty video.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 3, 2018

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Wonderful!

Kenshin posted:

Quick sample of the filming I've been working on for a little video project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcThkD1qQXQ

That's a fine looking sparrow. What's the film for?

I went for a hike at a canyon today and, fittingly, saw a Canyon Wren. It's a lifer for me! It kept hopping between the rocks and shrubbery, so I have quite a lot of photos of it slightly out of focus or with a twig across it's face.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

That's a fine looking sparrow. What's the film for?
I'm going to make my own mini documentary about the wetlands of Magnuson Park here in Seattle during the winter.

I figured hey, I have the equipment, the interest, and the ability, so why not? I have some pretty killer 4K drone footage of the wetlands too. I need a few more mornings of filming though, I have some good footage of various species including of that golden-crowned sparrow but I need more interesting behavior footage, and that can involve a bit of luck sometimes. I'd also really like to catch one of the resident beavers on camera, I've seen them but haven't been able to get usable footage yet.

Using a D500 + 200-500mm + 16-80mm, DJI Mavic Pro, and a Pixel 2 on a 3-axis motorized stabilizer, plus a Zoom H4n Pro mic for audio (including ambient/background). Shooting it all in 4K30.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Big post incoming

As I was arriving at the grain terminal I saw a big blob on a telephone pole down the road. Sure enough, it was the bald eagle that hangs around on a frequent basis

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

After about 5-10 minutes it flew north across the train tracks onto a different pole

About 40 min later we observed a raven hunt and kill a pigeon and proceed to start eating it atop the roof of one of the closer buildings. The bald eagle came in and chased the raven off and steal the pigeon. It made a pretty low, close, pass by the parking lot, wasn't able to zoom out quite fast enough on the second pic, they're both uncropped

After the fly-by it went back north and ate lunch on a pole, but was facing westward so I didn't have the grain terminal as a background for these shots

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Big post incoming
Holy poo poo what an opportunity. Those photos are incredible.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Wow, those are beautiful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How cool, neckbeard!

It was so dark when I took this that I didn't even realize the owl had turned it's head and was facing me.
Wildcat Evening Owl Scowl-0658 on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I'm going to make my own mini documentary about the wetlands of Magnuson Park here in Seattle during the winter.

Cool! Make sure to share it when you finish.

That is astounding (but also kind of gross).

I visited the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix yesterday. It was lovely there. If you're ever in the area, I'd recommend a visit. It's a little pricey ($25 admission), but there are all sorts of neat cacti and other desert plants. I was listening to David Attenborough's autobiography on the drive there (which is great) and it got me in the mood to explore.

Here's a female Gambel's Quail. I love those goofy feathers on their heads.

Here's the male.

A hummingbird of some sort. (How do I tell hummingbirds apart? I'm a little colorblind, so sometimes color isn't the best indicator for me.)

This hummingbird was tamer than most, so I could get fairly close.

A Gila Woodpecker in the evening light.

A European Starling (?).

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 10, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the quail- great backgrounds on those (especially the male). Don't know if you are looking for feedback but you might play around with brightening up the hummingbird and woodpecker.

I checked the ebird hotspot for that location, and it looks like a young male Rufous Hummingbird was reported on Jan 8. I think that's probably what you have given the extensive tawny color. FWIW I think hummingbirds are really hard anywhere you have more than a couple of species and I have normal color vision so don't feel bad! They're too fast when they're flying and they all tend to look like green lumps with lighter bellies when they are perched.

Anyone planning to enter the Audubon Photography Awards?. I've never done it before, but I think I might do it this year.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Anyone planning to enter the Audubon Photography Awards?. I've never done it before, but I think I might do it this year.
I wasn't planning on it until you linked it. :arghfist:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I probably will if I can figure out what to enter, though I suppose I can enter more than one photo.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I love the quail- great backgrounds on those (especially the male). Don't know if you are looking for feedback but you might play around with brightening up the hummingbird and woodpecker.

I checked the ebird hotspot for that location, and it looks like a young male Rufous Hummingbird was reported on Jan 8. I think that's probably what you have given the extensive tawny color. FWIW I think hummingbirds are really hard anywhere you have more than a couple of species and I have normal color vision so don't feel bad! They're too fast when they're flying and they all tend to look like green lumps with lighter bellies when they are perched.

Thanks! I saw the quail immediately after entering the gardens, so it was a nice start. They let me get within five or ten feet. I saw a hummingbird with a dark neck too. And feedback is always welcome! I've gone back and brightened several of the photos, and you're right: it's an improvement. Here's a couple more:

A Curve-billed Thrasher:

That does sound like fun. Any idea if they give any feedback on submissions?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

DorianGravy posted:

That does sound like fun. Any idea if they give any feedback on submissions?
If they ask for the RAW file you know you got shortlisted, but other than that you won't get feedback.

[edit]
I went ahead and entered 3 photos. This contest and the Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest are probably the only two photo contests that aren't giant scams online right now.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 10, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

Cool. I subscribed to your Youtube channel so now you're contractually bound to deliver (that's how it works, right?).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Cool. I subscribed to your Youtube channel so now you're contractually bound to deliver (that's how it works, right?).

Sounds about right!

I'm hoping to have it done sometime in February, I work full time and only some of the mornings are usable for shooting this (i.e. when it isn't raining hard and there's at least some light).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

I went ahead and entered 3 photos. This contest and the Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest are probably the only two photo contests that aren't giant scams online right now.
One that's become increasingly popular this side of the pond is the GDT European Wildlife Photographer of the Year, GDT being the Gesellschaft Deutscher Tierfotografen (aka the German Society of Nature Photographers). It's a non-profit and they don't do any mass cashing in using the winners. (although just as I can't enter the Audubon one, you can't enter EWPOTY)

What sort of regard is the Nature's Best competition stuff held?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Whitehead

Whitehead by Marc, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
From Monday morning's filming session (1440p export from 4K original, just for quick upload to YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorXehB0xdc

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kenshin posted:

From Monday morning's filming session (1440p export from 4K original, just for quick upload to YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorXehB0xdc

Nice. It looks sped up when the bird is scratching itself.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love that little tail shake they do...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, similar to my post in the wildlife photography thread, first pass through my family's archive for bird photos. My dad took all of these, I think - I'm including my best guess for species.

Juvenile bald eagle

Great blue heron

Turkey

Flamingos

Barred owl

Bald eagle

Loggerhead shrike parking only

No idea

Swans

Black-legged stilts

Nature (or, ignoring the label, red-winged blackbird)

Great white heron

Cattle egret

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

Nice. It looks sped up when the bird is scratching itself.

Yeah, unfortunately one of the biggest drawbacks to shooting in 30fps is that small, fast motions like that can get so blurred they look slightly sped up.

If this (and the next) video go well I'm probably going to invest in a Panasonic GH5 with a 100-400mm lens as a dedicated video rig. Should give me the same reach as my current setup (D500+200-500mm) but 4K60fps recording, 5-axis stabilizer on the sensor, and video auto-focus with subject following. Also will weigh about 1/3 of my current setup. Just not as good as the D500 for photos. I'd still be exporting the final products in 4K30fps but that 60fps would give me some nice slow motion options, and even converted to 30fps without slowing it down should still be better for that sort of fast motion.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cool photos

Cythereal posted:

Barred owl
Probably a young Great-horned Owl

quote:

No idea
Rough-legged hawk- I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming in March/April and this is really evocative of those big, cold landscapes. love it!

quote:

Black-legged stilts
Close- Black-necked Stilt (assuming you are in US)

quote:

Great white heron
Great Egret- the lighting on this is fantastic

quote:

Cattle egret
Snowy Egret- about the same size as Cattle but look for the black bill and bright yellow "slippers"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Probably a young Great-horned Owl

Huh. Didn't realize we had great horned owls this far south in Florida - my dad took that in his backyard.

quote:

Rough-legged hawk- I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming in March/April and this is really evocative of those big, cold landscapes. love it!

That was taken in Oregon, actually. :) From our California trip on our way up to Crater Lake.

quote:

Great Egret- the lighting on this is fantastic

I checked and "great white heron" is what people in my area tend to call great egrets. Late evening in the Florida mangroves.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I for some reason completely forgot we had a bird shootin' thread and god drat I am an idiot because I shoot a ton of 'em. The Olympus 300mm f/4 is a phenomenal lens too.

BRW11037 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

An Osprey on the Florida gulf coast with lunch.

BRW30178 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

A heron (?) of some variety at the Cincinnati Zoo.

I'll get some more up when I can. I'm going to Tanzania and Kenya in March and really looking forward to it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Cythereal posted:

I checked and "great white heron" is what people in my area tend to call great egrets. Late evening in the Florida mangroves.

To make it even more confusing, southern Florida has Great Blue Herons that are completely white instead of blue and are sometimes called "Great White Herons." They have darker, thicker bills than Great Egrets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More from the family archive.

Little blue heron - Ding Darling Bird Sanctuary

Brown thrasher - backyard

Carolina wren - backyard

Northern cardinal - backyard

Blue jay - backyard

rear end in a top hat (red-bellied woodpecker) - bird feeder

Owl - backyard

Limpkins? - Everglades National Park

Goshawk? - Yellowstone National Park

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple rainbow lorikeet shots. They have a tongue like a swimming pool cleaner. Considering that they eat a lot of nectar, it makes sense.

High on sugar water:

Really enjoying this GH5+Olympus 40-150 / teleconverter combo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
MLK Shoreline cackling geese-1625 on Flickr

MLK Shoreline Cinnamon Teal-1665 on Flickr

MLK Shoreline blue-winged teal pair-1748 on Flickr

MLK Shoreline BuOw -1797 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon city-view owl-1938 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

This one looks sweet, but is it possible to do some clone stamping/content-aware fill for where that branch is in front of the building on the left? Maybe it's me, but I just find my eye drawn to it and it distracts from the scene

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

This one looks sweet, but is it possible to do some clone stamping/content-aware fill for where that branch is in front of the building on the left? Maybe it's me, but I just find my eye drawn to it and it distracts from the scene

I can try! thanks for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Swamp hens getting worried by a water dragon.

Eastern Great Egret

Duck Butt