Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I guess I should know this but if its a beta will we be starting from scratch if we opt in? Will it affect our current account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I'm in love with the Type-10 Defender in VR. I have always wished for a big combat-capable ship with an Asp Explorer style cockpit, it finally happened and it's glorious. Maximum visibility wherever you look, even under your feet. The multicrew seats are a level below you, so you literally look down at the multi-crew plebs under you while you bask in your throne above them.

My previous main ship was an over-engineered combat Cutter, but I don't know if I can go back to that. I'm currently working on rolling a single grade 5 engineering mod for every module on the Type 10 Defender, and then when the patch drops I will convert them all to the new system. If a mod is grade 5, you can convert it to the new engineering system and it drops down to a maxxed out grade 4 module, which will save you a good 15-20 rolls leveling it from 1-4. I recommend slapping a single grade 5 mod on any module you think you might want to engineer in the future, it'll save you a ton of time with the new system.

The Type-10 will probably never be a good PvP ship but it should make a good Thargoid killer and all around PvE boat. I have a feeling the new Technology Brokers are going to require a ton of Thargoid grinding.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Straight from the beta FAQ

quote:

9) Do I have to start from the beginning of the game during the beta?No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you'll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.

10) Does my progress during the beta carry over to the main game?
No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Straight from the beta FAQ

Technically this is indirectly from the FAQ but thanks for posting this.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Does anybody know how one opts into the beta if you bought it through the Oculus Rift store?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Thought this planet was pretty cool plus so close to the sun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jubjub64 posted:

Does anybody know how one opts into the beta if you bought it through the Oculus Rift store?

You can go to frontier's website and get a steam key for the game and use that key to add it to your steam library and opt in to the beta on steam. The steam version still plays through the oculus sdk, not steam VR but it will need to be launched from steam and not the oculus app.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Custom COVAS/Ship's voices. God, I'll be happy if they just get that Yorkshire lass from traffic control to record a pack for my ship.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Any word about being able to change to HUD colors without changing the station UI to a more mauve-y shade of pinky russet? That's what we're all waiting for, right? I enjoy posting demands on the internet for things I really don't care much about.

However, I wish they'd hurry along with my Diamond Frogs decal already.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
3.0 patch notes.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401680-3-0-Open-Beta-Patch-Notes

Something called Recon Limpet Controller and they upgraded the T10 power distributer by 1.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

they upgraded the T10 power distributer by 1.

:getin: i've seen people make good use of the T10 even with the size 6 distrib (personal favorite was catching a stream where someone boated up the packhounds and ran support in a res site) but this is a pretty nice change up.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Galaxy Map: Filters added for Thargoid & Guardian sites

:allears:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Those are some extremely good patch notes. It makes 3.0 sound like it’s going to be fun.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm relatively new to elite. i have plenty of credits but haven't done any engineering yet... would it be a waste of time starting down the engineering path now vs. waiting until the patch?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

the milk machine posted:

i'm relatively new to elite. i have plenty of credits but haven't done any engineering yet... would it be a waste of time starting down the engineering path now vs. waiting until the patch?

It really depends on how much time you have on your hands. Getting one or two up wouldn't be a big deal and you could save yourself some time when the new system drops. We don't really know what the time sink is going to be on the new system so it's hard to know.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's sort of what i figured. i was thinking i may at least go see felicity farseer and upgrade my FSD

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

the milk machine posted:

that's sort of what i figured. i was thinking i may at least go see felicity farseer and upgrade my FSD

I wouldn't bother doing the Palin grind this late into it but getting FSD and maybe Power isn't that bad and those two probably have the biggest impacts for most players.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Definitely do the easy first-level QOL stuff, it'll playing until the patch much less painful. And it's never too early to start gathering materials alongside whatever else you're doing.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Other thing to consider is:

1) The beta just started, it's going to be a few weeks before any of the changes go to live.

2) They are NOT changing how you unlock the various engineers.

So, it might be worth going around and unlocking the engineers while you wait.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The 5kLY trip for Qwent is a lot less of a hassle now that you can plot it all at once, and it gives you a fair bit of money from explo data. Even if you're not gonna visit him for a while it's a nice change of pace with a decent payout.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

The 5kLY trip for Qwent is a lot less of a hassle now that you can plot it all at once, and it gives you a fair bit of money from explo data. Even if you're not gonna visit him for a while it's a nice change of pace with a decent payout.

Qwent is 25 maguffins and sirius corp rep. Palin is the 5k.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm more curious to see the planet changes.

No I do not have a problem with getting lost in the black NOT AT ALL :shepface:

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Palin also requires 25 MacGuffins but his are much easier to find.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Oops.

I recall making this exact mixup when I did the trip too...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If you take the 5k LY journey, you can sell your data to Sirius to start the process of unlocking Quent. After I did my trip to the Center I shopped my data around and got almost every permit in the game outside of military unlocks.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I just realized that one reason I love Elite so much, even with the grinding, is because it reminds me of playing Star Raiders on my 800XL with my dad on Saturday afternoons. Just thought I would share a warm fuzzy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

the milk machine posted:

If you've got money and time to burn, I doesn't really matter. If you want god-rolls, you may as well get your mods up to G5 now, so that you can just max them when the patch drops. But if you don't have any mats, may as well wait until they put the mat-trader in game, rather than trying to scrounge them up while the beta ticks down.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
elite reminds me of playing Escape Velocity on mac for hours on end

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Zuur posted:

Work yourself towards a Cobra MkIII, it will be a great workhorse for you and has a nice boost speed when you need to gtfo of some place. Otherwise, if you feel the need for speed, try out a viper. They are a little harder to outfit because the power plant sucks, but they are pretty great fun.

So I bought the Cobra MkIII last night. Awesome ship so far. Do ships have different physics? I am guessing yes. The down/Up thrust of this ship seems definitely slower than the sidewinder. To the point where I was landing on a base on a planet, went to manuever with down thrust, and the entire ship just plummeted into the ground and I couldn't use my upward thrust to get higher. I had to pitch up and increase throttle to get out of it. It seemed the downward thrust was super powerful and would just clank me down very hard. Gravity of the planet maybe?

Also quick question. There have been a couple times now (At least about 6-7) when I am in Super Cruise and heading to a station, and for whatever reason when I am close, my ship increases to full speed and I cannot throttle down until it reaches max speed and then it catches up and goes back to zero throttle (Which it was at for at least 10 seconds by now) and thereby I definitely over fly my destination and have to turn around. Is that a bug or am I doing something wonky?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ships definitely have different physics models. some are more like airplanes, some are more newtonian. it makes for fun pew-pew spaceship shooting. the planet situation you mentioned may be because the planet was higher gravity... your ship uses the vertical thrusters to hover above the surface, so when you thrust down on high-grav planets you lose all vertical thrust and just fall. it helps to use the vertical thrusters under boost to take off.

as for supercruise, you're going too fast when you approach your destination. the trick is you can go full-throttle towards your destination, then before the timer reaches 0:07, throttle back to 75% (the middle of the blue zone). then you'll approach your destination and not overshoot. (though "going too fast and overshooting then looping back from the other side" is a fun way to avoid npc interdictions)

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2018

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

jubjub64 posted:

I just realized that one reason I love Elite so much, even with the grinding, is because it reminds me of playing Star Raiders on my 800XL with my dad on Saturday afternoons. Just thought I would share a warm fuzzy.

Same, but with The Halley Project on Apple IIc

edit:

the milk machine posted:

the trick is you can go full-throttle towards your destination, then before the timer reaches 0:07, throttle back to 75% (the middle of the blue zone).

Noobhack: nobody ever regretted setting a hotkey for 75% throttle

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 25, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
EV :allears:

Utnayan posted:

So I bought the Cobra MkIII last night. Awesome ship so far. Do ships have different physics? I am guessing yes.

If by physics you mean power in their thrusters and general maneuverability, then yes. Upgrading the thruster module will improve handling.

quote:

Gravity of the planet maybe?

Yes, planetary gravity is a thing and affects maneuvering.

quote:

Also quick question. There have been a couple times now (At least about 6-7) when I am in Super Cruise and heading to a station, and for whatever reason when I am close, my ship increases to full speed and I cannot throttle down until it reaches max speed and then it catches up and goes back to zero throttle (Which it was at for at least 10 seconds by now) and thereby I definitely over fly my destination and have to turn around. Is that a bug or am I doing something wonky?

The throttle shouldn't be changing what it's set to without your input but that's not the only thing that affects ship speed. If you're talking about how easy it is to overshoot stations, that's a side effect of the gravity well mechanics and something you get better at handling over time.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 25, 2018

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

haveblue posted:

EV :allears:

If by physics you mean power in their thrusters and general maneuverability, then yes. Upgrading the thruster module will improve handling.

Yes, planetary gravity is a thing and affects maneuvering.

The throttle shouldn't be changing what it's set to without your input but that's not the only thing that affects ship speed. If you're talking about how easy it is to overshoot stations, that's a side effect of the gravity well mechanics and something you get better at handling over time.

Ok thanks :) Maybe that's it. It's weird. Sometimes I flip the throttle to the top of the blue line in Supercruise, and when getting closer to the planet I end up automatically going to max speed and then it slows down once I pass the station/planet. That's cool that gravity has that type of effect. If I go lower than recommended on the blue line, I don't typically speed up like that. I'll definitely upgrade the thrusters. There is a lot of depth to this game I am just now getting into.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

:hfive:

that game was like a 2d elite. good times.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So the new patch seems cool and good. But are there still serious grievances with the base game that the patch doesn't address? When I stopped following Elite people were still really upset that there was "basically no game" and how crummy rewards are.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are they ever going to fix that some engineers have bridges directly overhead some of their landing pads?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
In some ways Star Raiders was even more harcore than ED. On hard mode you had to basically do the interdiction game every time you jumped to a new system. If you didn't win the interdiction game you ended up somewhere in the middle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_VDM8nC9sM

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 25, 2018

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There still isn’t much “game” in a very traditional sense and it is still up to the player to find their own fun. You’re very much dropped into a sandbox with next to no guidance that you’d have from other games (there’s no breadcrumbed missions strung together as a plot or anything.)

That isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it’s not for everyone. I think my personal gripes are that while I find some parts of the game fun, they don’t also feel rewarding. I can do what I want, but it doesn’t earn me much money. Alternatively I can hit the next big gold mine, get the ships and things I want, and then go do what’s actually fun but not really be meaningfully rewarded for it.

That’s admittedly more systemic of an issue than something that a patch could hit, though. If you’re asking because of whether or not you want to play the game I think it very much still depends on how guided you like to be in games. There’s no theme parks in Elite, and it’s clear that they don’t intend to make any grand ones, though the new ‘puzzle-vault breaking’ style missions might be a little more involved.

Overall I think this patch is going to do a LOT of good things and if you’re OK with the general feel of the game this is a straight improvement in every way, probably. If you are already turned off by its style this patch won’t introduce anything to woo you unless you really only just hated RNG with engineers.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

So the new patch seems cool and good. But are there still serious grievances with the base game that the patch doesn't address? When I stopped following Elite people were still really upset that there was "basically no game" and how crummy rewards are.

Basically, if you didn't find the trading, exploring, or fighting fun before (I'm not sure when you left), you won't find them fun now. Everything is getting streamlined, generally easier to accomplish (and possible with groups), everything polished, concepts finally finished, and about 10,000 bugs fixed in 3.0. There will be a few new unique (to others in Elite) ships released. There are some new mechanics like trading materials, base assaults, and a fleshing out of criminal activities (mostly focused on consequences at the moment).

I'm most excited for the megaship base assaults. That was kind of thrown out of left field.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Mike the TV posted:

Basically, if you didn't find the trading, exploring, or fighting fun before (I'm not sure when you left), you won't find them fun now. Everything is getting streamlined, generally easier to accomplish (and possible with groups), everything polished, concepts finally finished, and about 10,000 bugs fixed in 3.0. There will be a few new unique (to others in Elite) ships released. There are some new mechanics like trading materials, base assaults, and a fleshing out of criminal activities (mostly focused on consequences at the moment).

I'm most excited for the megaship base assaults. That was kind of thrown out of left field.

I read the patch notes related to the new crime and punishment systems but I still really don't get what is different, how it works, or why its significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There still isn’t much “game” in a very traditional sense and it is still up to the player to find their own fun. You’re very much dropped into a sandbox with next to no guidance that you’d have from other games (there’s no breadcrumbed missions strung together as a plot or anything.)

Actually, Elite has a lot in common with one of the first video games ever created, Spacewar!, which had a planetarium subroutine, but was otherwise a very simple game.

• Locked thread