Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gobbagool posted:

it’s not the job of the US government to be the most popular kid at day care, it’s to look after the interests of US citizens.

that's a lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything Gobbagool writes induces either tears or laughs. Sometimes both.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there's a south asian FM music station here because of the expats and it owns

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Discounting the idea of soft power when it comes to global monoculture is insanely retarded. The idea that india has a leg up on regional power bases that are comparatively very conservative is very fun to think about though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Commerz posted:

The Chinese are too arrogant and abrasive. They don't respect other cultures in Asia enough to export their culture meaningfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU3eDUNPfLQ
meanwhile in india

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMRRIMmICmM

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Bollywood is fun as hell and I hope it creates a flying kicks hegemon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Metal Cat posted:

Bollywood is fun as hell and I hope it creates a flying kicks hegemon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
last chinese movie i watched was a martial arts film with really strong anti-japan themes. left a sour taste. so yeah i'd rather join the bollywood global multicultural twerkfest

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Last one I saw was wolf warrior 2 and I'm thinking about becoming a Chinese flag all the time

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
China could possibly get better after several generations of poisoned/traumatized olds die, but I think American is a mature, fat round grape on the vine and its filled with worms

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the pro-China argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YjL9rZyR0

Talk kind of reminds me Khrushchev's "we will bury you."

What he says around 16:00 is interesting, though. "Our political model is not for export." Also "stop messing with us and sort yourself out." Is he wrong?

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 11:38 on Jan 25, 2018

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

gucci bane posted:

I'd humbly suggest you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. Your previous post about Indo-Pacific security and Chinese hegemony was completely wrong, and if you don't believe in soft power then you also don't believe interstate relations are socially constructed. That is a stupid as gently caress realist worldview shared by barely anybody who isn't stuck in the 1970s or alternatively up their own asses.

give an example of soft power’s effect on a nations actions, and explain how trump’s actions have hurt the US, something quantifiable, in international relations. I bet you breathlessly exclaimed that Trump recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital was going to be the end of times too. turns out that all the soft power in the world couldn’t do poo poo to stop that

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"soft power" is really a "wonk" (ugh) buzzword that means persuasion as opposed to coercion. obviously governments persuade each other all the time. the fact that french is still used in diplomacy is an example of soft power.

as far as examples, the U.S. has totally hosed itself in korea, the ROK of which is now moving to an accomodationist position vis-a-vis north korea, though i don't have a big problem with that. but i think a lot of the problems with the u.s. position globally are not going to be immediately obvious, but will be in retrospect.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

"soft power" is really a "wonk" (ugh) buzzword that means persuasion as opposed to coercion. obviously governments persuade each other all the time. the fact that french is still used in diplomacy is an example of soft power.

as far as examples, the U.S. has totally hosed itself in korea, the ROK of which is now moving to an accomodationist position vis-a-vis north korea, though i don't have a big problem with that. but i think a lot of the problems with the u.s. position globally are not going to be immediately obvious, but will be in retrospect.

regarding Korea, why wouldn’t it be in the US’s interest for there to be peace on the peninsula? the average American would be happy to see the troops come home and to let the Koreans pay for Korean security. the same for Germany. let those countries exercise all the soft power they like with China, Russia, whomever. it’s not like either country can afford to stop trading with the US, and beyond that who gives a gently caress if their diplomats clutch their pearls constantly over what trump tweets

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gobbagool posted:

regarding Korea, why wouldn’t it be in the US’s interest for there to be peace on the peninsula? the average American would be happy to see the troops come home and to let the Koreans pay for Korean security. the same for Germany. let those countries exercise all the soft power they like with China, Russia, whomever. it’s not like either country can afford to stop trading with the US, and beyond that who gives a gently caress if their diplomats clutch their pearls constantly over what trump tweets
i think the u.s. should totally withdraw from south korea, and i also think this has a chance of leading to reunification under the DPRK. but i don't think this would necessarily be good for the u.s. in a hard-power realist sense.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

give an example of soft power’s effect on a nations actions, and explain how trump’s actions have hurt the US, something quantifiable, in international relations. I bet you breathlessly exclaimed that Trump recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital was going to be the end of times too. turns out that all the soft power in the world couldn’t do poo poo to stop that

Egypt and Israel's border was a victory US's soft power if you want a recent history example.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Egypt and Israel's border was a victory US's soft power if you want a recent history example.

40 years ago? Yeah, i suppose that was soft power in the sense that it wasn't enforced from a carrier battle group, but it came with massive financial and security guarantees from the US. Look, i'm not saying that soft power isn't a worthy goal, but i am saying that it takes a distant back seat to hard power. French being spoken in diplomatic circles isn't really doing anything for the nation of France, and all the EU's soft power hasnt been able to solve problems in it's own back yard like the war in the balkans in the 90s, and even when they all get on the same page like in Libya, they still need the US to do the heavy lifting, both literally and figuratively.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

i think the u.s. should totally withdraw from south korea, and i also think this has a chance of leading to reunification under the DPRK. but i don't think this would necessarily be good for the u.s. in a hard-power realist sense.

Yeah, that would be an interesting thread on it's own. Why do you think SK would willingly hand itself over to the DPRK? I admit i don't know a lot about SK, but it seems like an economically successful more-or-less democracy wouldn't necessarily want to want to come under the rule of stone age autocrats?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You think that literal gunboat diplomacy is going to save american hegemony in the world. you literally think that you're going to be able to conduct diplomacy from the deck of an aircraft carrier

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gobbagool posted:

Yeah, that would be an interesting thread on it's own. Why do you think SK would willingly hand itself over to the DPRK? I admit i don't know a lot about SK, but it seems like an economically successful more-or-less democracy wouldn't necessarily want to want to come under the rule of stone age autocrats?
oh yeah, well there are explosive debates about this in the D&D korea thread but i've bought into the B.R. Myers argument that south koreans' loyalty to the republic is not as strong as assumed. the current government is full of people who grew up in pro-confederation groups -- notice how fast the rapprochement with the olympics have gone? (the war tension stuff in the U.S. media i think is hysterical.) reunification would take decades, but that is the north korean plan with the idea of it ending with the workers party in control, and a reunified korea might not look like north korea now except ruling over the peninsula, but something more like china.

start here: http://sthelepress.com/index.php/2017/12/21/north-koreas-unification-drive/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBGOM94PD4

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

40 years ago? Yeah, i suppose that was soft power in the sense that it wasn't enforced from a carrier battle group, but it came with massive financial and security guarantees from the US. Look, i'm not saying that soft power isn't a worthy goal, but i am saying that it takes a distant back seat to hard power. French being spoken in diplomatic circles isn't really doing anything for the nation of France, and all the EU's soft power hasnt been able to solve problems in it's own back yard like the war in the balkans in the 90s, and even when they all get on the same page like in Libya, they still need the US to do the heavy lifting, both literally and figuratively.

Yeah, 40 years of success. Soft power backed up by the fact that the U.S. was generally good for its word, something that went away pretty recently. It took, what, 2 months of the aftermath of Libya to show how loving bad of an idea that was, and that was an expression of "hard power". Not only that, the only reason WHY we could bomb Libya was the steady diplomatic and economic pressure over the decades discouraging them to not build nuclear weapons.

Of the balkan wars, the first had a negotiated peace after 10 days, and the other four wars dragged out because NATO went in guns blazing first, talking second.

I get the feeling that you don't read too deeply on the subjects you talk about.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Jan 25, 2018

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

lollontee posted:

You think that literal gunboat diplomacy is going to save american hegemony in the world. you literally think that you're going to be able to conduct diplomacy from the deck of an aircraft carrier

No? I mean that's the literal opposite of what I said? What i said is that despite all the 'soft power' that France and the EU have, they havent been able to solve any actual problems. Where was EU soft power in the Balkans? Libya? Syria?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i would suggest retiring the phrase "soft power" completely along with other phrases popular with the international relations 'experts'

also if i remember right, the phrase was used heavily by the hillary clinton state department

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gobbagool posted:

No? I mean that's the literal opposite of what I said? What i said is that despite all the 'soft power' that France and the EU have, they havent been able to solve any actual problems. Where was EU soft power in the Balkans? Libya? Syria?

oh ok, so europeans not joining your stupid rear end foreign interventions whenever called is your point. that's great.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

i would suggest retiring the phrase "soft power" completely along with other phrases popular with the international relations 'experts'

also if i remember right, the phrase was used heavily by the hillary clinton state department

Correct, the same State Department administration that both touted soft power while pursuing a literally retarded policy in Libya at the behest of Europe

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

lollontee posted:

oh ok, so europeans not joining your stupid rear end foreign interventions whenever called is your point. that's great.

I'll proceed under the assumption that english is a second or third language for you and not that you're purposefully misinterpreting what i'm saying. I'll ask again, why is a Finn so heavily invested in the idea of American collapse? Do things get better for Finland once Russia is the only military power in your neighborhood again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh merciful lord please forgive me from my sins and deliver me for evil

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gobbagool posted:

I'll proceed under the assumption that english is a second or third language for you and not that you're purposefully misinterpreting what i'm saying.
:rolleyes:

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
literally cant believe you all went 9 pages talking about the collapse of america and nobody has mentioned that climate change is going to collapse every industrialized country in the next 30 years

the political polarization of america or the railroads the chinese are building in africa are irrelevant, the next world war will be fought over stratospheric aerosol injections and it will end with nuclear annihilation

90s Rememberer has issued a correction as of 15:01 on Jan 25, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

self unaware posted:

literally cant believe you all went 9 pages talking about the collapse of america and nobody has mentioned that climate change is going to collapse every industrialized country in the next 30 years

the political polarization of america or the railroads the chinese are building in africa are irrelevant

we already have our climate nihilism thread in the succ forum.

i can't wait for our canfield oceans, personally.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

self unaware posted:

the political polarization of america or the railroads the chinese are building in africa are irrelevant, the next world war will be fought over stratospheric aerosol injections

maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it's not really about america?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MrWilderheap posted:

The thing about balkanization is that political divisions are most heated between the rural/urban divide rather than between regions. People living in Houston have more in common politically with people living in Chicago than they do with people in rural Texas. Maybe we'll get to see the emergence of city-states when this garbage country finally collapses. That would be cool imo

people won't be living in Houston unless we develop magical underwater city technology, i dont know if you missed last year but there's only so many times FEMA/the feds can bail out morons building cities next to the coasts while the seas rise up

lollontee posted:

maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it's not really about america?

how is it not? it's going to be the single largest factor in america's collapse

lol at "maybe it will, maybe it won't" who are you, sean hannity?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Of the balkan wars, the first had a negotiated peace after 10 days, and the other four wars dragged out because NATO went in guns blazing first, talking second.

The first had a negotiated peace because it was a "why not try, if we make it we make it" war. There weren't any separatists in Slovenia. Not everything is about NATO.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

self unaware posted:

the political polarization of america or the railroads the chinese are building in africa are irrelevant, the next world war will be fought over stratospheric aerosol injections and it will end with nuclear annihilation

Thank you. I give about 4 decades to pretty much everybody having some form of collapse or another.

Of course, the U.S. with it's land-to-population ratio is probably pretty well situated to live with that.

large adult son posted:

The first had a negotiated peace because it was a "why not try, if we make it we make it" war. There weren't any separatists in Slovenia. Not everything is about NATO.

If we are dithering about the U.S., I think it's OK if we assume we are critiquing whatever the U.S. is doing through NATO. I'm totally fine saying that the wars were not all about NATO poo poo, but all the U.S.'s involvement was NATO poo poo.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Jan 25, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

self unaware posted:

people won't be living in Houston unless we develop magical underwater city technology, i dont know if you missed last year but there's only so many times FEMA/the feds can bail out morons building cities next to the coasts while the seas rise up

how is it not? it's going to be the single largest factor in america's collapse

lol at "maybe it will, maybe it won't" who are you, sean hannity?

Because 30 years is long time for people to change their minds and do things and invent stuff that changes the course of history. i don't know if climate change is going to gently caress us up because i don't know what we're going to do about it. ok, satisfied? i don't think the world is going to end, i have fatih in tomorrow. shocking, yes?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lollontee posted:

Because 30 years is long time for people to change their minds and do things and invent stuff that changes the course of history. i don't know if climate change is going to gently caress us up because i don't know what we're going to do about it. ok, satisfied? i don't think the world is going to end, i have fatih in tomorrow. shocking, yes?

In this case, no, it's not enough time. 30 years ago we would have been pushing it. Now it's just a very slow moving crash.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"the world might end and we might not be able to stop it " is not a very shitmulating c-spam topic don't ya think?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

lollontee posted:

i just told you what "we're" going to do about it and what the consequences will be. sorry you're too stupid to understand?

"oh we cant possibly predict what 500ppm of co2 in the atmosphere will look like in 30 years despite having millions of years of data points but ill gladly speculate about the political trends in america over the coming decades as if those are more set in stone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lollontee posted:

"the world might end and we might not be able to stop it " is not a very shitmulating c-spam topic don't ya think?

Oh, the world won't end, not even modern civilization I suspect, but it is going to force a collapse of some unknown, but probably scary magnitude all of its own on everybody around the world.

• Locked thread