Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

JahRoo posted:

I mean, Naruto establishes that the source of all ninja powers was an alien princess that ate a demon fruit

All of Naruto is a single enemy-of-the-week in One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I enjoy the gatling gun versus power armor poo poo the manga is currently dealing with. The only thing is the dumb future opening thing we must inevitably lead to cuz otherwise it'd be cool if the age of the ninja really was gradually phased out and eventually it's just a series with people shooting ninja RPGs at each other and poo poo. until it's finally the stealth Mario continuation everyone really wants.

I like the general idea but dislike the most recent chapter because it felt like the protagonists let the redshirt die when they should have been able to beat Ao by all attacking at once.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really liked the resolution to the fight from last week. After years of Naruto it keeps surprising me that Sarada actually gets to do things and be just as strong or stronger than Bort and Mitsuki.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, this team 7 so far is much better than the last, which basically worked by Naruto and Sasuke kinda just doing their own thing while Sakura watched and got scared a lot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mymla posted:

Yeah, this team 7 so far is much better than the last, which basically worked by Naruto and Sasuke kinda just doing their own thing while Sakura watched and got scared a lot.

well, the old team 7 ran a few errands in town, had a single mission (while sakura contributed nothing), took an exam (while sakura contributed nothing), fought a giant sand monster (while sakura contributed nothing), and then years later fought a moon god (while sakura contributed nothing). also, i'm pretty sure that sasuke and naruto fought against each other more times than they fought alongside each other. i don't see how bort & co could possibly be worse than the previous team 7.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

To be fair with the final fight, nobody was gonna keep up with naruto and sasuke on their exponential power climb to ninja godhood at the rate kishi was giving them powerups. When you look at individual power levels at the end of the series, sakura is probably top 4/5 in konoha, only really eclipsed by naruto, sasuke and kakashi.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Which is kind of the overall problem with Sakura on the whole. She doesn't MATTER. You could remove her wholesale from the plot and lose nothing. They try to make a big deal out of her being a medical nin but...

That is literally just an excuse for her to sit on her knees and make her hands glow while other people move the plot. And people only need medical nin when she's around: when she's not there all wounds follow the shounen law of "Grit your teeth hard enough and it doesn't matter". Even her one big fight against puppet man was just her body being used like a puppet by an octogenarian.

And looking back, that fight is only an issue because it's Sakura. 100 puppets? Meet 10 billion shadow clones, chain Chidori, or gently caress It Here's A Kirin Enjoy Your Parking Lot.

There's a couple parts in part 1 where they hint that she could be a badass, but then her major character trait of being The Smart One is overshadowed by Shikamaru being the Douple Super Plus Smart One.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Even her one big fight against puppet man was just her body being used like a puppet by an octogenarian.

And looking back, that fight is only an issue because it's Sakura. 100 puppets? Meet 10 billion shadow clones, chain Chidori, or gently caress It Here's A Kirin Enjoy Your Parking Lot.

I think there were a few points in that fight where sakura genuinely did something cool and unexpected. She was one to prepare the antidote (which even chiyo couldn't do), used her strength to merk both of his puppet bodies, and faked being poisoned to get an almost fight ending punch in. Of course she needed chiyo's help to win the fight, but I don't think that was a problem at that point in the story. Nobody was really strong enough to beat akatsuki members on their own, and it made sense that they needed the advantage of someone with insider knowledge.

The sasori fight was really frustrating though, because at the start of part 2 it really felt like kishi was gonna take sakura in a new direction and make her relevant in the fights moving forward, but after the rescue arc she regressed back to part 1 sakura.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I think there were a few points in that fight where sakura genuinely did something cool and unexpected. She was one to prepare the antidote (which even chiyo couldn't do), used her strength to merk both of his puppet bodies, and faked being poisoned to get an almost fight ending punch in. Of course she needed chiyo's help to win the fight, but I don't think that was a problem at that point in the story. Nobody was really strong enough to beat akatsuki members on their own, and it made sense that they needed the advantage of someone with insider knowledge.

The sasori fight was really frustrating though, because at the start of part 2 it really felt like kishi was gonna take sakura in a new direction and make her relevant in the fights moving forward, but after the rescue arc she regressed back to part 1 sakura.

Yeah, not counting movies and anime filler I think her only real accomplishment after that was beating up a Zetsu once. She also held her own for a little while against the Sound Ninjas in part 1 but still wound up having to be rescued anyway. Come to think of it, I believe the only female ninjas in this series besides Sarada that have had a modicum of success as far as fights go are Tsunade and Ino. Sarada is also an Uchiha, which means she has a lot more built-in advantages than her mom did as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 25, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
her 'holding her own' was the most pathetic poo poo imaginable. she could only use the most basic ninja elementary school poo poo, like not even an exploding tag. sakura definitely needed that year of low-danger apprenticeship most kids took before attempting the chuunin exam, unlike every other kid in her ninja elementary school class. i guess no one thought they needed to explain to her that she needed to learn new skills and improve since sakura was supposed to be the smart one.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sakura is the kid everyone tells is really smart because she aces tests in middle school, so she stops studying in high school and drops out of college.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, if you think about it Sakura in part 1 was actually lower on the totem pole in regards to fighting than even Tenten was. She has no actual skills beyond the very basics and what she does learn later all comes from Tsunade's playbook (which Sakura still never really uses quite as effectively).

Which kind of makes me wonder how Sarada learned to fight as effectively as she does considering her mom pretty much sucks and her dad is barely around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

True, if you think about it Sakura in part 1 was actually lower on the totem pole in regards to fighting than even Tenten was. She has no actual skills beyond the very basics and what she does learn later all comes from Tsunade's playbook (which Sakura still never really uses quite as effectively).

Which kind of makes me wonder how Sarada learned to fight as effectively as she does considering her mom pretty much sucks and her dad is barely around.

sakura barely managed to reach a draw against ino via her undiagnosed mental illness. but then, even though ino was the second weakest person in the exam that's just because she wasn't terribly suited for 1 on 1 matches. that's a world of difference from sakura, who was equally useless in both team and solo battles.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It is kind of impressive how useless she is during part 1. Sakura never learns any cool secret techniques from her family, so all she really has is supposedly good chakra control that we never see in part 1. This is well utilized in early part 2, where they explain that Tsunade's monster strength is actually just precise chakra control, which lets Sakura plow once she's taught to do that as well (and she presumably passes on this control and teaches Sarada to use it effectively too).

It would've been cool for Sakura to develop something akin to the rasengan/chidori (although obviously less powerful) before the chuunin exams. The whole point of their team dynamic was supposed to be that while sasuke and naruto had a higher ceiling, sakura was a faster climber. Instead what we got was kishi trying to deliver on naruto and sasuke's power too quickly, which left sakura in the dust almost immediately. She regained some ground in part 2 and then fell behind again right away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does suck that Sakura never really develops a special skill of her own the way nearly every other character does (like I said, even Tenten is better at fighting than Sakura is initially and her role was basically "background prop that gets a few lines occasionally"). Though to be fair, the Rasengan/Chidori were technically borrowed techniques as well (the former coming from Minato/Jiraiya and the latter coming from Kakashi). Speaking of which, I kind of hope Sarada learns how to use Chidori eventually (if she hasn't already that is, I forget).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Salad basically gets the best of both world from her parents: super strong strength from her mom and eye hax from her dad. Bort so far has only shown partial strength from his dad (and his tenacity to inspire people, i guess) and nothing from his mom. It's pretty clear who the better one is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
salad's most important trait is something she didn't get from either of her parents- mental stability

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Salad basically gets the best of both world from her parents: super strong strength from her mom and eye hax from her dad. Bort so far has only shown partial strength from his dad (and his tenacity to inspire people, i guess) and nothing from his mom. It's pretty clear who the better one is.

He does tend to use a bit more Taijutsu in his fighting style (occasionally doing it open-palmed) so I guess you could say that's from his mom (he also had that weird one-eyed Byakugan at one point). But other than that no, he hasn't really used any Hyuga-style techniques yet, which is kind of weird considering that Hinata probably would have had more time to train him what with Naruto being busy as the Hokage and all. Conversely, Himawari hasn't been shown using anything from her dad's playbook yet, though to be fair we still haven't seen her actually fight yet beyond effortlessly kicking her brother's rear end a few times.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

salad's most important trait is something she didn't get from either of her parents- mental stability

Let's hope it lasts, she is still an Uchiha after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 25, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean boruto has definitely used open palm strikes already, which is probably the closest to hyuga he'll get until his byakugan kicks in.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Larryb posted:

It does suck that Sakura never really develops a special skill of her own the way nearly every other character does (like I said, even Tenten is better at fighting than Sakura is initially and her role was basically "background prop that gets a few lines occasionally"). Though to be fair, the Rasengan/Chidori were technically borrowed techniques as well (the former coming from Minato/Jiraiya and the latter coming from Kakashi). Speaking of which, I kind of hope Sarada learns how to use Chidori eventually (if she hasn't already that is, I forget).

That is completely false. She develops super strength and the instant regeneration skill that basically makes her immortal for a short period of time. The only other person who has that is her teacher. She was in a support role like nearly every other character in the entire series. That's the nature of these sort of stories.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

That is completely false. She develops super strength and the instant regeneration skill that basically makes her immortal for a short period of time. The only other person who has that is her teacher. She was in a support role like nearly every other character in the entire series. That's the nature of these sort of stories.

Fair, but technically that's not a unique skill since it came from Tsunade. That's all I was trying to say there (but it's better than nothing at the very least).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Larryb posted:

Fair, but technically that's not a unique skill since it came from Tsunade. That's all I was trying to say there (but it's better than nothing at the very least).

The only unique skills in the series are the mixing of chakra nature skills or the clan/genetic skills that people have. Not every character has one of those nor do they need to for the story they want to tell to progress.

People arguing about Sakura make it out to be some kind of sin for her not to have some super unique power that no one else has. I mean they even said in the story that she would become more powerful than her teacher. She's super powerful, it's just that Naruto and Sasuke are literally incarnations of the first ninja and were gifted by the sage with amazing power. But power that is from the sage so not even unique.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does she ever actually do anything though

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

The only unique skills in the series are the mixing of chakra nature skills or the clan/genetic skills that people have. Not every character has one of those nor do they need to for the story they want to tell to progress.

People arguing about Sakura make it out to be some kind of sin for her not to have some super unique power that no one else has. I mean they even said in the story that she would become more powerful than her teacher. She's super powerful, it's just that Naruto and Sasuke are literally incarnations of the first ninja and were gifted by the sage with amazing power. But power that is from the sage so not even unique.

My point was not so much that she needed some cool unique skill, but that she needed something that in any way utilized her supposed strengths. It's established almost immediately, that compared to both Sasuke and Naruto, Sakura has the best innate chakra control. This is balanced out by the fact that Sasuke and Naruto have higher "ceilings" (more chakra, eyeball stuff, demon foxes, etc.) and thus will eventually be stronger than her.

The logic would dictate that her precise control would allow her to easily learn ninjutsu that don't necessarily require a lot of chakra but instead good control (like the rasengan!!). It would have been cool for her to come into the chunin exam having learned some strong chunin or jonin level technique from someone, but instead her arsenal is limited to all the basic transformation and clone stuff. This is even more noticeable in the Sasuke retrieval arc where she basically hands off everything to Naruto + 4 dudes who really don't give a poo poo about Sasuke.

Her established strengths are well utilized at the beginning of part 2, where she's learned medical techniques and monster strength, but she doesn't really grow from there until the literal end of the story, at which point Naruto and Sasuke have reached godhood.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

She doesn't kill anyone important, but she probably saved a few thousand people with her snail healing stuff in the war. And she made a new arm for Naruto. (Or was that Tsunade? I forget.)

And I guess she punched god once so narusasu could seal her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mymla posted:

She doesn't kill anyone important, but she probably saved a few thousand people with her snail healing stuff in the war. And she made a new arm for Naruto. (Or was that Tsunade? I forget.)

Even back in Part I, she saved Naruto's life a couple times.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mymla posted:

Tsunade made the arm from cells from the first Hokage, similar to the stuff Yamato was injected with. She also made one for Sasuke but he rejected the implant because he was too emo about it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ninjewtsu posted:

She punched an alien.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ninjewtsu posted:

No, but on several occasions it looks like she is gonna do something only to then not do anything.

Subversion!

What's really hosed up is not that she didn't win fights (as that is overrated) it's that they didn't even let her try.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe this show is both Marxist and gay

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So what was the thing the scientist dude was showing Boruto? I know the manga has done more with him, but I haven't read it since I've heard it's pretty terrible, so I'm assuming someone who has probably has a better idea. It looks like a bracer and some kind of ammunition, presumably for one off magic ninja poo poo the bracer can allow the wearer to use.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Pretty sure it's the same thing that was in the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

Pretty sure it's the same thing that was in the movie.

Yeah, and from the looks of things the next major arc is going to be a remake of said movie (though we knew that was coming eventually).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So what was the thing in the movie then, since I haven't seen it given that it's not on Crunchyroll?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Your guess was exactly correct so I assumed you had. :v:

good work, you passed the chuunin exam

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The movie was basically:

- boruto and co. do the chunin exam
- boruto cheats at the chunin exam using ninja gear that science bro gave him
- another otsutsuki and his brother show up and ruin the party, kidnapping naruto
- boruto and sasuke + the other kage rescue naruto

e: oh sorry, the ninja gear in the movie specifically is a bracer type equipment that lets him use other jutsu, without the necessary chakra/hand signs/skill

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know, with one of those jutsu bracers I'm pretty sure Rock Lee would be the most powerful ninja like...ever. He's already the strongest and fastest several hundred times over, he's just limited by being too dumb to know how to cast jutsu. Give him that and suddenly you've got a Kaguya level threat on your hands.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Flytrap posted:

You know, with one of those jutsu bracers I'm pretty sure Rock Lee would be the most powerful ninja like...ever. He's already the strongest and fastest several hundred times over, he's just limited by being too dumb to know how to cast jutsu. Give him that and suddenly you've got a Kaguya level threat on your hands.
300km/h jutsu

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The villain in the most recent arc is completely reliant on them and is a fairly powerful threat. The Tools are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yinlock posted:

300km/h jutsu

Jesus Crist we gonna die!