Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and don’t forget there’s also a patchwork of tiny local transit authorities instead of any large regional ones

so lol building out transit becomes a huge collaborative effort across not just all those little cities but also these little transit kingdoms too

at least there’s progress being made tho, in both the bay and la

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and don’t forget there’s also a patchwork of tiny local transit authorities instead of any large regional ones

so lol building out transit becomes a huge collaborative effort across not just all those little cities but also these little transit kingdoms too

at least there’s progress being made tho, in both the bay and la

A smart state not held back by bullshit like prop 13 would be able to force together redundant Cities and agencies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it’s such bullshit that they were legally allowed to build into a law like that a requirement of 2/3 of the vote to modify or remove

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you won't get rid of prop 13 until you stabilize housing prices

you're going to have a direct fight against stable housing prices from a group of people that have now turned it into a crazy asset class or are part of an inflated house-flipping industry

beyond that, to stabilize the prices you need more housing, and well planned, well executed high density housing, because just filling the Central Valley with more single family suburbs just means even more hellish commuting and traffic and all the social and ecological impacts that come with that

but people will fight density because they operate under the assumption that density == more traffic and no parking and wrecking their neighborhoods character and people hate change

you can manage the increased density with well planned and organized transportation options, but people hate these because we have such a toxic embedded car culture + racism

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
california has basically band-aided itself into a horrible position, taking the easy way out over and over again, which is no surprise given the way politics functions in this country

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

i was thinking peak "active" as in 1000 simultaneous requests, not 1000 people logged in, but same diff the conclusion is the same i guess

I wonder what kind of load a modern NNTP server could manage

I’ve honestly been wondering how hard it’d be to set up a stand-alone NNTP server that

• only supports MODE READER (no distribution/transfer)
  • requires some secure authentication
  • has a simple web form for registration
  • requires you to put a hash in your SA profile to claim your username

if only the registration required SSL and the auto did some other crypto key exchange (that newsreaders actually support, of course) it shouldn’t actually take much CPU or storage to run

I toy with the idea of ripping apart Papercut and using it to make the thing above but :effort:

maybe I should write a business plan and get angel investors and VCs to pay me millions to do it, they still fund “open source companies” right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

all those cool cs projects make me want to get back to that dinky operating system I was making forever ago in Easy68K lol

you could write an IBM-style editor for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lancemantis posted:

between yegge's post and some person experiences I feel like you could almost formalize a lot of nerd hubris (and they would probably hate you for it); though some of this is probably universalizable to anyone today

nerd speech has been formalized, there was a long Usenet post about how nerds talk from someone whose sister was a linguist or speech pathologist or something, and whom he took to a science fiction convention

nerds talk in paragraphs, not conversationally

nerds have a tendency to over-enunciate

nerds make weird pronunciation mistakes, almost as if they’ve never heard the words they’re saying spoken aloud by another human being, only ever read them

etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

nerd speech has been formalized, there was a long Usenet post about how nerds talk from someone whose sister was a linguist or speech pathologist or something, and whom he took to a science fiction convention

nerds talk in paragraphs, not conversationally

nerds have a tendency to over-enunciate

nerds make weird pronunciation mistakes, almost as if they’ve never heard the words they’re saying spoken aloud by another human being, only ever read them

etc.

I would like to read this post if you can find it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I would like to read this post if you can find it

took a bit of searching but here it is: Fanspeak

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

Today I just want to tell you about my new gig, because I think you’re going to be amazed. In fact I think I can safely predict that no matter who you are, something in this post is going to amaze you.

quote:

So what is Grab? Well, the simple and unsatisfying answer is: They’re the Uber of Southeast Asia.

what a fuckin nerd

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also him going "I just came back from Indonesia and they have cell phones and stare at them all day just like us!" is so loving rich

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

eschaton posted:

took a bit of searching but here it is: Fanspeak

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Xaris posted:

"oh no this is too development friendly, stop being in developers pockets!"

I guy I knew went to his Bay Area suburb city council meeting, and it was filled with exactly the types of people you'd expect--old retired people who bought their house in the 1970's for $20k.

The topic of developers came up and all of the old hippies were getting mad about developers coming in and 'taking over the town' and 'not paying their fair share'. He looked up the fees that the developers had to pay to the city for every new townhouse built in the town and it was much higher than the old hippies' property tax bill added up over the past 45 years lol

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 25, 2018

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I guy I knew went to his Bay Area suburb city council meeting, and it was filled with exactly the types of people you'd expect--old retired people who bought their house in the 1970's for $20k.

The topic of developers came up and all of the old hippies were getting mad about developers coming in and 'taking over the town' and 'not paying their fair share'. He looked up the fees that the developers had to pay to the city for every new townhouse built in the town and it was much higher than the each old hippies' property tax bill added up over the past 45 years lol

those developers are making houses to sell and make a profit from so the fees being high isnt actually good because it means the poorest sections of society have no access to any form of stable or secure accommodation

also this isnt me arguing to lower the fees

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
all this talk of high density aversion has me triggered this morning.

where i'm at, the master plan calls for preserving the ~*rural character*~ of the western 2/3 of the of the municipality. planning staff think "cool, we've got our marching orders, let's make that happen", so we start looking to implement initiatives that'll help to deflect development pressure towards the more urbanized 1/3. we start pitching ideas like PUDs that allow higher density in certain areas, and transfer of development rights programs that'll let farmers/owners of old, large parcels out in the country to still get some money for their land while simultaneously allowing a greater buildup where development has already happened but where there's also room for infill.

the feedback we received from the board of trustees was essentially a resounding no. "we want you to fulfill the master plan, but not like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". it turns out that this centrist democrat board pretty much just wants development stasis, and wants to take things back to the good ol' days or some poo poo. they give zero fucks about good planning, nor do they care about anything that's happening outside of their little 36 square mile fiefdom. plenty of residents support this as well. it was perfectly okay to level a bunch of woods for their subdivision, but god forbid something gets built next to them.

planning is hosed around here. it's so very hosed. i would welcome the nuclear holocaust, but only if it obliterates humanity.

:rant:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

Lol no because the only way to knock em back to earth is to abolish prop 13

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

those developers are making houses to sell and make a profit from so the fees being high isnt actually good because it means the poorest sections of society have no access to any form of stable or secure accommodation

also this isnt me arguing to lower the fees

I get what you are saying. My response to this has pretty much already been covered by Xaris and lancemantis’s posts earlier in this thread but I’ll repeat it anyway.

The fees developers are paying to the city governments is not the main cause of ballooning housing prices in the Bay Area. Incredible demand for housing, in short supply, is what is driving up the price.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I get what you are saying. My response to this has pretty much already been covered by Xaris and lancemantiss posts earlier in this thread but Ill repeat it anyway.

The fees developers are paying to the city governments is not the main cause of ballooning housing prices in the Bay Area. Incredible demand for housing, in short supply, is what is driving up the price.

yeah but the housing is in short supply because its expensive to make housing at a profit and housing that is built is also built for profit so its not accessible to the poorest sections

without tackling for profit housing you cant even begin to properly address (lol) the housing crisis

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

sorry im not trying to hammer my fist down and be all "its this or nothing" i just think if your going to try and reform stuff its important that those reforms be part of a path to actually solving the problem not just mitigating for someone else to deal with

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

yeah but the housing is in short supply because its expensive to make housing at a profit and housing that is built is also built for profit so its not accessible to the poorest sections

without tackling for profit housing you cant even begin to properly address (lol) the housing crisis

i think that's the long and short of it too. i've heard of some places offering development incentives (higher density, etc.) in exchange for including a certain portion of units at below-market rate, but i'm not sure how well that's worked in practice. i'm also of the understanding that such requirements also often lapse after a certain number of years, so lol at that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So like 50 pages back someone posted that unoccupied rental units could be deducted by the landlord at market. Does anyone have any sourcing on that?

It seems like :psyduck:-level fuckery but :capitalism:.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

President Beep posted:

i think that's the long and short of it too. i've heard of some places offering development incentives (higher density, etc.) in exchange for including a certain portion of units at below-market rate, but i'm not sure how well that's worked in practice. i'm also of the understanding that such requirements also often lapse after a certain number of years, so lol at that.

Britain has this but then developer pressure put in ‘profit clawback’ clauses which is basically them saying ‘well make not money though :(‘ and the local authorities just waive the requirements for cheaper housing

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Schadenboner posted:

So like 50 pages back someone posted that unoccupied rental units could be deducted by the landlord at market. Does anyone have any sourcing on that?

it’s not true.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

the 49 pages after that were people arguing over it being real or not maybe you should read that part

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

have another predictive keyboard book

https://twitter.com/botnikstudios/status/955501681604792322

botnik studios is producing so many of these it's probably already annoyingly unfunny to many people but fuk u I still giggle

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

housing is in short supply because it’s basically impossible to build anything but single family developments in large parts of California; these “expensive” developments are basically huge political battles between everyone to make special projects

Los Angeles (proper) was, long long ago, zoned to hold like 10 million people, then in like the postwar era it was downzoned to 4 million, so it’s basically “full”

part of this was originally motivated by racism — minorities, especially the immigrating black families, couldn’t afford single family homes (and with redlining couldn’t get loans as well), so zone everything but where you want them to be designated to live as for single family developments

racism is maybe a little better, certainly a little less official in these matters, but it still influences the politics, and now people are super concerned with their ideas of traffic and parking and character, etc

the rezoning process is also designed in a conservative as hell, difficult process to begin with, so these constant fights are just exacerbating things

California is the land of horrendous commuting because of this; it would be fun to see numbers on what portion of the bay areas daytime population has to transfer in and out of the Central Valley and related areas every day, with the limited capacity routing (with serious environmental limits, we’re surrounded by mountains) which leaves the few freeways packed and the narrow mountain passes clogged to the extreme

the same applies for like inland empire and related areas for LA

this is where hell traffic in California comes from, and everyone has to use cars because it’s incredibly difficult politically and logistically to build alternative transportation for this sprawl; and now of course people are buying into self driving cars as another terrible bandaid solution

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

botnik studios is producing so many of these it's probably already annoyingly unfunny to many people but fuk u I still giggle

U should post these in the Markov thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

these sound curated but still delicious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

these sound curated but still delicious

well of course they're curated, they admit it in the description of what they do. i still think they're weirdly funny, like some kind of absurd-comedy-generator tool :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lancemantis posted:

you're going to have a direct fight against stable housing prices from a group of people that have now turned it into a crazy asset class or are part of an inflated house-flipping industry

beyond that, to stabilize the prices you need more housing, and well planned, well executed high density housing, because just filling the Central Valley with more single family suburbs just means even more hellish commuting and traffic and all the social and ecological impacts that come with that

but people will fight density because they operate under the assumption that density == more traffic and no parking and wrecking their neighborhoods character and people hate change

you can manage the increased density with well planned and organized transportation options, but people hate these because we have such a toxic embedded car culture + racism

you cant stabilize housing prices without getting rid of prop13

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you could have enough destruction of housing from a single short natural disaster that even the olds are left homeless

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

you cant stabilize housing prices without getting rid of prop13

and getting rid of prop13 with things as they are would just lead to a lot of "gently caress you, this neighborhood is for rich people now. don't worry, i'm sure you can find someplace where you can afford the taxes that only comes with a 2-3 hour commute each way. you can even use the extra money from the sale of your house to pay for gas!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:qq: we can't get rid of prop 13 or else all the grandmas won't be able to afford the taxes on their multimillion dollar homes :qq:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Franz posted:

and getting rid of prop13 with things as they are would just lead to a lot of "gently caress you, this neighborhood is for rich people now. don't worry, i'm sure you can find someplace where you can afford the taxes that only comes with a 2-3 hour commute each way. you can even use the extra money from the sale of your house to pay for gas!"

The neighborhood is already for rich people though???

Dump the old Republicans who voted for prop 13 in a loving ditch outside Fresno who cares. Everyone else already bought in once prices started going up.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
or they're the children who inherited those prices because lol what a completely lovely law

it makes me wonder what the sales tax could be reduced to if prop 13 was eliminated

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the text equivalent of that one engineer who gives a long wandering explanation of why the bug you're seeing is not actually a bug but a natural consequence of your sensible design decisions (except instead of throwing an http error or something now it'll kill you)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Botnik's stuff is made by users (usually comedy writers) selecting one word at time from a constantly updating pallet of predictions

it's just "monkeycheese lol so random" writing like you used to see in webcomics

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Volvo's semi-autonomous system, Pilot Assist, has the same shortcoming. Say the car in front of the Volvo changes lanes or turns off the road, leaving nothing between the Volvo and a stopped car. "Pilot Assist will ignore the stationary vehicle and instead accelerate to the stored speed," Volvo's manual reads, meaning the cruise speed the driver punched in. "The driver must then intervene and apply the brakes.” In other words, your Volvo won't brake to avoid hitting a stopped car that suddenly appears up ahead. It might even accelerate towards it.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we've developed an algorithm that will try to murder you, entirely by accident

• Locked thread