Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Orions Lord posted:

Birthday present by roland luijken, on Flickr

I think she had deep thoughts at that very moment.
That thingy on her neck is a kids tattoo fyi.

Portrait is fine but whats with the watermark and vignette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

iSheep posted:

He is a professional.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

iSheep posted:

I am surprised you don't watermark your photo's.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Orions Lord posted:

Birthday present by roland luijken, on Flickr

I think she had deep thoughts at that very moment.
That thingy on her neck is a kids tattoo fyi.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Orions Lord posted:

I am surprised you don't watermark your photo's.

The only photos people are going to steal are hdr landscapes and celebrity nudes

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

just did some portraits, hope ya'll like this one

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Hey man you should put a watermark on that or something might steal it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm not a fan of how the vignette has thicker line weight on the top than the sides. Also for these styles of vignettes that don't have much of a gradient I like seeing opaque white/black vignettes. Other than than it's a good portrait and much better without the watermark

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wish watermark shaming was a bigger thing outside of these forums. It’s a nice portrait once you remove the distractions.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Maybe I think to much when editing the pictures.

I (try) to leave them more pure next time.

Thanks for the responses.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

akadajet posted:

I wish watermark shaming was a bigger thing outside of these forums. It’s a nice portrait once you remove the distractions.

Oh dear Lord yes. I used to do it when I first started putting out work under my own name but between here and reading/watching things elsewhere I quickly stopped. And I'm totally glad I did. Whenever I see them now (especially the people who use the big ugly rear end ones) I just want to yell at them to stop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I don't even watermark stuff I send to clients as proofs. Steal it and print it I don't give a gently caress but if you publish it online I will find you serve a DMCA and a bill.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

8th-snype posted:

I don't even watermark stuff I send to clients as proofs. Steal it and print it I don't give a gently caress but if you publish it online I will find you serve a DMCA and a bill.

how do you track that?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Dren posted:

expose for the subject's face

:(

The Empty Chair by Jason, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

underage at the vape shop posted:

how do you track that?

There are services you can use like Pixsy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Glare of the Ice Queen by B. B., on Flickr

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
IMG_2794 by Joe Bush, on Flickr

IMG_3421 by Joe Bush, on Flickr

Here's portrait I snapped of girlfriend without her knowing two summer ago.
https://i.imgur.com/0DdGBOZ.jpg

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Pet photos work a lot better when you are down at their level. On the second one, you've missed focus. Normally you'd focus on the eyes (just like for a human portrait), in this case, it looks like your lens was hunting between the nose and the eyes and just said 'gently caress it, random spot of empty space it is'. Even at 200mm, you should have enough DoF to get all of the face in focus at ƒ/5.6. On both of the dog photos, the crop is awkward, you've got a lot of dead space, but you've cut the legs off.

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Helen Highwater posted:

Pet photos work a lot better when you are down at their level. On the second one, you've missed focus. Normally you'd focus on the eyes (just like for a human portrait), in this case, it looks like your lens was hunting between the nose and the eyes and just said 'gently caress it, random spot of empty space it is'. Even at 200mm, you should have enough DoF to get all of the face in focus at ƒ/5.6. On both of the dog photos, the crop is awkward, you've got a lot of dead space, but you've cut the legs off.

Thanks for the feedback. I have trouble with her and have been trying to work with her more. She's so small and when I get down to her level with the camera, she either completely dodges me or wants to rough house. Lately I've been working with her on a stoop or the like so I'm not shooting down.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You have a longish lens. Lay down, throw a ball and catch her as she is playing with it. Animals are basically impossible to pose because they want to see what you are doing, or they want to move just as you're about to nail focus. Your best hope is to keep some distance so that they aren't interacting directly with you and try and catch some good poses as they move.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just got into photography and had a fun weekend with a photographer friend.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

From one of my last sessions of 2017.

The Ill Fitting Dress by Jason, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
JT_BH_Wedding-529 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

JT_BH_Wedding-314 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

No

Eh I'm not in love with his facial expression but it's an okay wedding photo.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Why? He was lit by a bonfire, there wasn't much light.If not the light, why else would I get a no?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

huhu posted:

Why? He was lit by a bonfire, there wasn't much light.If not the light, why else would I get a no?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Sometimes the feedback is great, sometimes it's this.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

huhu posted:

Sometimes the feedback is great, sometimes it's this.

I think you're confusing this with not being great.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

His eyes aren't lit. That's undesirable 99% of the time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

His eyes aren't lit. That's undesirable 99% of the time.

Yeah that's why I said it's a decent wedding pic, because this kind of candid portrait works well in a series like if the next photo os of the bride walking or something. On it's own merits it's a bit weak.

huhu posted:

It's a poor angle with bad lighting and atrocious color balance. It might be salvageable in B&W especially if you have other images in similar lighting to add a narrative element when viewed in sequence. On it's own it's just bad.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
look at them foreheard wrinkles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

huhu posted:

Light source is under him giving it a horror film look. Maybe better if he were sitting down with the fire more parallel to his face? The plastic cup looks out of place for the mood. Color balance doesn't bother me that much, but the pose and cheap plastic cup do.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He looks like a community theater Mephistopheles.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He looks like a community theater Mephistopheles.

christ almighty that was savage

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I last got slammed for my terrible lighting choices, so here's the next set of experiments. This time, high-key lighting.

IMG_9885-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9900-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9946-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And a MF shot, Arax-88 on Fomapan 100.

Chloe High-Key003-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
lighting/makeup/blackeye in #2 makes it look like she has a black eye

don't shoot people at a downwards angle or they look short

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I haven't really done any portrait photography before, and am obviously terrible at posing people. Looking for help and input.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Megabound posted:

I haven't really done any portrait photography before, and am obviously terrible at posing people. Looking for help and input.

that flower is really bad, have your model be in the light too. if she's squinting, have her close her eyes gently, count down 3 2 1, have her open her eyes and hit the shutter on 1. helps a lot if you are there at golden hour, the light is much less bright.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Helen Highwater posted:

It's been a while since I last got slammed for my terrible lighting choices, so here's the next set of experiments. This time, high-key lighting.

I would heal over the wrinkles in the backdrop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I don't normally share high ISO, out of focus snapshot portraits, but sometimes they just have a pull. I think this one shows the importance of knowing how to pose a model.

Stand Awkwardly Please by B. B., on Flickr