Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Anyone here has a WileyFox SparkX? I bought it to play around with it, rooted it, but now I want the Nougat update. WileyFox promised to update all their phones to Android 7.

It doesn't find anything at the address it looks for when it searches for updates, probably because Cyanogen Mod is discontinued. Do I need to set it back to... factory settings in order for it to find the update when it comes (June I think)? How do I do that?

WileFox SparkX
Android Version 6.0.1
CyanogenMod API level Fig (6)
Android Sec. Patch Level 1 December 2016
Kernel Version 3.18.19-canogenmod #1

Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just bought a new unlocked S7 (the Verizon version) and activated it on the Bell Canada network. It works fine, except for two annoyances:

1) I have to reboot the phone to reconnect to the network because Verizon is deathly afraid of people accidentially roaming and complaining about their huge bills and has installed some software to prevent accidental roaming (so I am told)

2) I have no options for tethering or settign up a wifi hotspot.

I have been told that rooting will enable me to be rid of these annoyances. T/F? If so, presumably links were posted somewhere in the previous 500 or so pages?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rooting should allow you to rectify both problems but the method varies between phones. There are subforums devoted to most phones on xda that have rooting guides and roms etc, I'd look there

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blue Train posted:

Rooting should allow you to rectify both problems but the method varies between phones. There are subforums devoted to most phones on xda that have rooting guides and roms etc, I'd look there

Thanks, appreciated

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hopefully anyone still reads this thread:

Anyway, I'm trying to root my Nexus 6P but none of the internal storage shows up. I can see it via USB in windows but in TWRP it's just blank. Is this a bug?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hopefully anyone still reads this thread:

Anyway, I'm trying to root my Nexus 6P but none of the internal storage shows up. I can see it via USB in windows but in TWRP it's just blank. Is this a bug?

Why not just sideload with ADB?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't know I could. I'm fighting the 6p bootloop of death right now and I'm not very phone savvy.

All the XDA guides for rooting and putting roms on have side loading for other things, but very specifically using TWRP for the 4 core fix and rooting. Is that just something they prefer and isn't necessary?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I didn't know I could. I'm fighting the 6p bootloop of death right now and I'm not very phone savvy.

All the XDA guides for rooting and putting roms on have side loading for other things, but very specifically using TWRP for the 4 core fix and rooting. Is that just something they prefer and isn't necessary?

Gotcha. While I don't have a guide in front of me and I don't know what exactly you're doing, you can flash something that would be in local storage by putting it in the directory you're working from and doing "ADB sideload filename" in the terminal. Turning it on in TWRP is under Advanced I think.

Sorry but I'm phoneposting and this is from memory.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Gotcha. While I don't have a guide in front of me and I don't know what exactly you're doing, you can flash something that would be in local storage by putting it in the directory you're working from and doing "ADB sideload filename" in the terminal. Turning it on in TWRP is under Advanced I think.

I found a guide for that exact process actually. It's apparently something about Android sometimes encrypting poo poo when it's not supposed to which is why I can't see it. But it should work in theory!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I got around to sideloading that rom and it greatly improved my phone. It's much, much more usable and wasn't too too bad for your average nerd. Thanks for the tip in the right direction

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2nd gen Kindle Fire HD 7" (2012), update 7.5.1. I've gone to the XDA site for guides to root it but different problems pop up with each guide. Files that won't download or don't exist, methods that stopped working after the fire was upgraded to 7.5.1, a command prompt that worked in windows 8 but not windows 10.

Is it even still possible to root the device? Are there any current guides to root it someplace else?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any luck with rooting a Nokia 6 yet? I have one and I'd like to get the Amazon bloatware off it but I've seen nothing but what I suspect are scam sites. Nothing on XDA yet that I've seen. Is it a case of the phone being too new?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It doesn't seem so and you need not only time but developer interest which seems to be lacking

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

It doesn't seem so and you need not only time but developer interest which seems to be lacking

It's a shame because it's a good, sturdy phone. Only bad thing about it is the subpar CPU, but I don't really game on my phone so not a big deal to me.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
My lenovo A5500-F (a cheap 8" tablet from ~5 yrs back) is running slow. The battery is still good and I'd like to keep on using it for streaming poo poo onto my chromecast. Is rooting it likely to speed it up at all? I'm keen to give it a shot as it's such a cheap tablet, and there's some bloatware. Is Kingoroot on Windows the way to go? Is there an Ubuntu alternative that doesn't involve using loads of terminal commands?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Al2001 posted:

My lenovo A5500-F (a cheap 8" tablet from ~5 yrs back) is running slow. The battery is still good and I'd like to keep on using it for streaming poo poo onto my chromecast. Is rooting it likely to speed it up at all? I'm keen to give it a shot as it's such a cheap tablet, and there's some bloatware. Is Kingoroot on Windows the way to go? Is there an Ubuntu alternative that doesn't involve using loads of terminal commands?

That's only 3 years old, but it may well feel like it's 5 years old - the CPU used is on par with nicer phones of 2012 only and it's only got a single gigabyte of RAM. It IS slow and nothing you can do will make it fast, lots of stuff simply needs more power and the bloatware isn't doing anything besides using up spare space which doesn't matter for streaming.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who is rooted I just wanted to let you know XPosed started working on Oreo as of about a month ago. And yesterday, GravityBox finally got ported to Oreo. This is 80% of the reason why I am rooted.

If you want to be convinced, here are some of the tweaks I use in GravityBox:

-Slide finger across the status bar to adjust brightness (I am constantly messing with brightness because I never like how auto brightness operates, and not having to block what I am looking at to adjust it is a godsend)

-Move cursor in text field entry left and right using volume keys. Anyone who has ever made a typo knows how annoying it is trying to go back to the middle of some word in a sentence and meticulously trying to get the cursor to be in the exact spot you want is impossible. Using this is like having a d-pad again

-Advanced options in power menu. Hold the power button as usual except now you are given the options of taking screen shots, quick reboot, rebooting to recovery, rebooting to bootloader, etc.

-All notifications automatically expanded (no need to click a tiny down arrow to read them)

-Hold back to force kill foreground app. Google Maps annoys me how there's no real exit button; you click back to stop navigation but it still runs. Holding the back button now force exits it.

-Tap back twice very quickly to enable/disable auto rotate

-All volume sliders shown (instead of just 1)

-Custom notification LED colors depending on contact and what kind of notification

-Repeat notification alerts for specific apps (for example, a text message) every X amount of minutes if you don't respond to it

-Day of the week in the status bar (this is a huge one for me because I work rotating shifts and having it right there all the time lets me know what day it is)

There's a million more tweaks GravityBox allows; I just named the ones I particularly love. I really recommend it and best of all, these are tweaks to the systemUI so these are not extra apps installed to your phone meaning there is zero extra ram usage and zero extra battery use because of them.

Anyway like I said gravitybox is 80% of why I refuse to buy a phone that can't be rooted so I figured someone here might be as excited as me that it finally got ported to Oreo.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

These are all sort of things that I liked about Pure Nexus on my Nexus 6P.

Stock Android + stuff thats already in android, but disabled most of the time for whatever the hell reason.

Question, though, does it have the tweak to swipe the bottom bar to shrink the screen for one handed mode?

Also what about data transfer speeds and arrows in the status bar?

Just the 2 things I like that are never in stock android it seems. Living with crappy internet its nice to see actual numbers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

These are all sort of things that I liked about Pure Nexus on my Nexus 6P.

Stock Android + stuff thats already in android, but disabled most of the time for whatever the hell reason.

Question, though, does it have the tweak to swipe the bottom bar to shrink the screen for one handed mode?

Also what about data transfer speeds and arrows in the status bar?

Just the 2 things I like that are never in stock android it seems. Living with crappy internet its nice to see actual numbers.

For the one handed mode, yes you can do this: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/move-any-screen-freely-for-easier-one-handed-use-android-0161610/

You can even change Niwatori to just be the "One Handed Mode" app in the Play Store.

And yes, the data transfer speeds and download % and all that is a native option in GravityBox.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sweet, Unfortunately Xposed looks to still break SafetyNet. Nuts.

Dammit Beans, get Pure Nexus cooking again. :argh:

You have 2 P2XL's to work with even.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sweet, Unfortunately Xposed looks to still break SafetyNet. Nuts.

Dammit Beans, get Pure Nexus cooking again. :argh:

You have 2 P2XL's to work with even.

You can use Magisk to "hide" apps from detecting root. It works for things like Samsung Pay for me. Android Pay is the only thing that seems impossible to unblock.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
IIRC, Android pay won't run if you have an unlocked bootloader. I'm still pissed about that. I'm on Pure Nexus, not rooted, purely so I could use Android pay, then it broke because of the bootloader.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's where Magisk comes in. Just flash it and it should root and hide both the root and bootloader allowing AP to work again.

But AP breaking because you cant hide exposed is a bummer. The main/only reason I root these days is Titanium backup for certain apps that still don't have cloud backup, and Tethering on my ancient Sprint SERO plan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I tried, several times. Magisk said it was working, but no bueno. Maybe I need to update and try again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I use my phone for hours per day and whip out a credit card for four seconds three times a week so I just learned to live without Android Pay. It's a tradeoff but an easy decision for me personally.

edit: Also I love using Samsung Pay because I get notifications every single time any charge is made on any of my credit cards. Very nice way to know if my credit card is ever stolen.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 26, 2018

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Anyone see how much progress the xda people have made on the Essential? The Pixel 2 "Experience, including launcher plus the pixel 2 camera through Magisk on a stock rooted Oreo build is the best experience I've ever had on an android phone. The Jelly text effect seems to be completely gone as well.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I'm gonna have to check that out.

Does it still work with the 360 Camera as well?

I really hope Essential can put out a good 8.1 build soon and with that, make it literally the Essential Pixel.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The ironic thing is I have a Pixel and the first thing I did was get rid of the Pixel launcher and installed Nova.

What specifically did you like about it? Not being facetious, I'm just wondering if I am missing something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've had Nexus devices and I always used nova. I'm just too used to it and poweramp since 2010 that I don't think I could use an android phone without these two.

Is like using my PC without winamp, like, is there even an alternative to the last ancient version?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nope. I've never even tagged my mp3s. I just double click the ones I want to listen to

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guillermus posted:

Is like using my PC without winamp, like, is there even an alternative to the last ancient version?

Winamp 5.666 is still pretty recent and the people who bought Winamp from AOL will probably do a proper new version soon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can now use WinAmp in a browser even (Just saw this today actually so great timing!)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

Winamp 5.666 is still pretty recent and the people who bought Winamp from AOL will probably do a proper new version soon.

Yeah, using 5.666. From time to time I check the site to see if they released something new. Time I ago I tried Quintessential (like 7-8 years ago) and was nice but Winamp was always more stable.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I've had Nexus devices and I always used nova. I'm just too used to it and poweramp since 2010 that I don't think I could use an android phone without these two.

I just switched from Poweramp to proplayer because it can actually handle hi res music files without choking.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DonkeyHotay posted:

I just switched from Poweramp to proplayer because it can actually handle hi res music files without choking.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yuvarajindia.mp14

Is this the one? might give it a shot.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Sorry, I meant PlayerPro.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbig.playerprotrial

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
People rooting their androids still using winamp. I'd say that checks out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nocal posted:

People rooting their androids still using winamp. I'd say that checks out.

Who said that? I'm sitting on a N7 2013 unrooted and Huawei P9 unrooted and I use winamp on my PC. Not having winamp on PC is like not even having firewall activated on windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Not having winamp on PC is like not even having firewall activated on windows.

This has to be bait.