Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When in doubt...

Castle Death posted:

The passage leads to an enormous compound of cells that holds the slaves of Kazan-Oud. They are, in the main, a pitiful herd of gangling, black-skinned creatures, with sorrowful eyes and backs bent crooked by years of hard labour. These prisoners press their sad faces against the tiny grates of their cells, curious to see the fair-skinned warrior who walks upright among them.

They hiss as you pass until the entire complex echoes to the sound of their sibilant scorn. At the end of the block, there is a cell that resembles a cage, denying its prisoner even the small degree of privacy provided by the others. You stare through the bars at a dark-skinned man sleeping on the straw-covered floor. His blond hair and red and gold tunic are stained with blood and grime. A key to his cell hangs by a cord on a peg driven into the nearby wall.

Healing: +1 EP (12/32).
Do we release this prisoner or ignore him and keep moving?

I've never been sure if the "gangling, black-skinned creatures" are supposed to be human or not.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
A comrade? Release this guy, maybe it will make up for our earlier friendly fire?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Release the prisoner. I think we met his brother in the intro scene.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Release the prisoner because we need to buy as much time as possible, with pages of dialogue, to heal.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Morrow posted:

Release the prisoner because we need to buy as much time as possible, with pages of dialogue, to heal.
Release the prisoner Because that's sadly the right meta-gaming answer but also the non-dickish thing to do.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Welease Bwian!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
We need someone who can catch a bullet for us, even if we fire that bullet our self.

Release him.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Our track record isn't stellar, but surely freeing him will fix that! :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Helios Grime posted:

We need someone who can catch a bullet for us, even if we fire that bullet our self.

Release him.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Sheriff, release my buddy! I mean, release the prisoner!

Also,

Castle Death posted:

The passage leads to an enormous compound of cells that holds the slaves of Kazan-Oud. They are, in the main, a pitiful herd of gangling, black-skinned creatures, with sorrowful eyes and backs bent crooked by years of hard labour. These prisoners press their sad faces against the tiny grates of their cells, curious to see the fair-skinned warrior who walks upright among them.

Jesus Christ, Dever. (The sad part is, IIRC, this is only the second most horrifying description in Castle Death, but I think we avoided the path it comes up on.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Because that's sadly the right meta-gaming answer
Please don't say stuff like that. It's perfectly fine to let your prior knowledge of the book/series inform your voting, but actually saying you're doing so is too close to spoiler territory.

Castle Death posted:

The creaking door stirs the man from sleep, and he rolls over and cowers in the corner of his foul-smelling cage. His eyes are cloudy, like frosted glass, and his face and hands are pitted with disease.

Healing: +1 EP (13/32).

‘You need not fear me,’ you say, trying to calm the frightened man. ‘I will not harm you.’

The sound of your voice stops him shaking. He turns his scarred face towards you and asks, ‘Have the Elder Magi sent you here?’

Healing: +1 EP (14/32).
Do we answer him or just leave?

If we'd had Curing we could have done something about his eyes, but Healing just isn't up to it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Answer the nice man.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Let's have a chat

The image of just up and leaving after entering the cage is for some reason really funny to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

The image of just up and leaving after entering the cage is for some reason really funny to me.
It's not just you, it's definitely funny.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Please don't say stuff like that. It's perfectly fine to let your prior knowledge of the book/series inform your voting, but actually saying you're doing so is too close to spoiler territory.
Okay then so let's keep talking with that guy FOR PURELY ROLEPLAY reasons.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Helios Grime posted:

Let's have a chat

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Answer him but say “No, the Darklords sent me. Psych!” Is that funny too?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
LOOT the conversation.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's talk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

You tell him of your quest and the help the Elder Magi have given to enable you to enter Kazan-Oud. When you recount your air voyage to Herdos aboard Lord Paido’s skyship, you notice a tear trickle from the blind man’s eye. ‘My name is Kasin,’ he says, sorrowfully. ‘Lord Paido is my brother.’

Pity fills your heart for this unfortunate warrior, for you know that he is doomed to die. Blindness occurs in the final stage of takadea, the disease that is ravaging his body. ‘I am beyond help,’ he says, his face lined with pain, ‘but I can and will help your quest, Kai Lord. Listen to me carefully. There are stairs at the end of the corridor that lead down to the throne-hall of Zahda. At the entrance to the hall there is a tapestry behind which there is a secret passage. It leads to Zahda’s throne. Above the throne is the Lorestone you seek, but beware. Zahda has coupled its power to a Doomstone from the realm of Naaros—Zahda draws all his power from this accursed gem. If you are to succeed, you must first destroy the gem or you will surely perish. Sadly I cannot help you escape from Kazan-Oud, for I myself was captured long before I reached the surface, but if you reach the beach, make your way to the old stone jetty. Beneath the steps is the place where I hid my boat.’

He grips your hand in friendship, his face now calm and peaceful. ‘When you return to Elzian, tell my brother that my death was not in vain. May the gods protect you, Lone Wolf.’

The sound of approaching guards forces you to leave the cell. As you close the door, you promise that his bravery will live forever in the legends of the Vakeros—his warrior kin.

Healing: +1 EP (15/32).

At the end of the cell block corridor a staircase descends to a lower level. It is guarded by a grim-faced creature armed with an axe.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 15
Beastman Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 22
Combat Ratio: 1

We roll: 10
Beastman Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 8

Beastman Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

Castle Death posted:

Rolling the body over with the toe of your boot, you quickly check for useful items and discover the following:
  • Axe
  • Short Sword
  • Dagger
  • 2 Gold Crowns
Remember to mark any items you wish to keep on your Action Chart before making your escape down the stairs.

Healing: +1 EP (16/32).
I'm assuming that we take the dagger and and the money here. Whether or not we take a second weapon will be up for a vote.

Castle Death posted:

At the bottom of the stairs is a deserted hallway that leads to two great doors of gleaming bronze. Sumptuous tapestries and statuettes of gold line the walls on either side, and an ornate fountain of silvered marble fills the hall with a melodious bubbling sound.

You have covered only a few yards when an armoured guard steps into view from behind the fountain. He is armed with a crossbow and is taking aim at your chest.

Healing: +1 EP (17/32).

The guard fires as you run at him, the sneer on his face boasting his confidence that you will soon be a dead man. You twist aside to avoid the lethal bolt, escaping with nothing more serious than a torn sleeve, and shattering his confidence. You attack and he attempts to parry your first blow with his empty crossbow; you knock it from his trembling fingers, leaving him without a weapon to hand.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 17
Throne-hall Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 22
Combat Ratio: 11+

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 17
Throne-hall Guard: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

Castle Death posted:

You hear footsteps on the stairs—more of the enemy are approaching. If they, too, are armed with crossbows, your chances of survival will be very slim indeed. Before you stand two great bronze doors, flanked on either side by tapestries and gold statuettes.

Healing: +1 EP (18/32).
  1. Did we take the axe, the short sword, or neither?
  2. Shall we open the doors, examine the tapestries, or stand and fight?

Rolling two tens in a row for that first fight was especially lucky as winning that fight too slowly results in more beastmen arriving and attacking you. If you have Huntmastery (as we do) or Divination then the crossbow bolt automatically misses you, otherwise there's a 30% chance of instant death there. Our Combat Skill is now 25 as we have Weaponmastery with the dagger (+3) and lost our unarmed penalty (+4). We now have 32 Gold Crowns.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Remind me- I know Zahda took the Sommerswerd, but what happened to our Silver Bow of Duadon? Or does it no longer count as a weapon?

Vote- Take dagger and examine tapestries- quickly. Hiding behind tapestries has worked in these situations before.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Check behind the tapestries

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The helpful dying man said to look at the tapestries, so that we shall do.

Take the cash and the dagger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Remind me- I know Zahda took the Sommerswerd, but what happened to our Silver Bow of Duadon? Or does it no longer count as a weapon?
Zahda took it too. He takes all your weapons and weapon-like special items, it's just that the Sommerswerd gets singled out in particular because it zaps the guy who takes it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Take the short sword, examine the tapestries.

I hope it's not possible to end this book without finding our poo poo.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Leraika posted:

Take the short sword, examine the tapestries.

I hope it's not possible to end this book without finding our poo poo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Zahda took it too. He takes all your weapons and weapon-like special items, it's just that the Sommerswerd gets singled out in particular because it zaps the guy who takes it.

Luckily that dude didn't try to use it in anything approaching a combat or, not being a Kai Lord, the power of the Sommerswerd would have faded and been lost forever. Hell of a weakness, that.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

anakha posted:

The helpful dying man said to look at the tapestries, so that we shall do.

Take the cash and the dagger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

look at the tapestries, Take the cash and the dagger.
OK, we'll leave the other weapons then.

Castle Death posted:

The tapestries are similar to others you have seen in the lower levels of Kazan-Oud; they are extremely beautiful and exceedingly valuable. However, it is what you discover behind them that is of greater interest, for they conceal a secret door. Your basic Kai senses alert you to a tiny button set into the wall. You press it and the door slides open to reveal a circular tunnel of gleaming steel. Quickly you enter and the door slides shut, moments before the hall is filled with Zahda’s guards.

Fifty feet along the gleaming steel tube, you arrive at a circular door in the wall to your left.

Healing: +1 EP (19/32).
Do we go through the door or continue along the tube?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

OK, we'll leave the other weapons then.

Do we go through the door or continue along the tube?

door

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check the door.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The door's conveniently on our left, so :goleft:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Check the door.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Door

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

You spin a screw-like handle set in the centre of the door, releasing the lock. You open the door and enter: inside, you discover a room of steel. The walls, ceiling, and floor are all constructed of metal plate, which is polished to give a mirror-like shine. Low, iron tables are set out with the implements and accessories of magic: crucibles, retorts, aludels, flasks, and all manner of twisting glass tubes, which bubble and seethe with multi-coloured liquids. Vellum-bound tomes and crumbling parchments litter the shelves, competing for space with repulsive-looking pink organs floating in glass jars of vile-smelling preservative. Quickly you scan the shelves in search of useful items and, to your delight, rediscover all your confiscated Weapons. (Re-enter on your Action Chart everything that was taken from you before you were sent to the maze.)

In addition to your Weapons, you discover a large jar of concentrated Laumspur (restores 8 ENDURANCE points) and a Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet. If you wish to take the Amulet, mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item, which you wear on your wrist. It will protect you from injury due to exposure to high temperatures.

Elated by the rediscovery of your equipment, you leave the chamber and press on along the shiny steel tube.

Healing: +1 EP (20/32).

As you walk the temperature steadily rises until you are bathed in sweat. The steel plates of the tunnel become too hot to touch, and wisps of smoke rise from the soles of your boots, where the leather is close to igniting.

Healing: +1 EP (21/32).

After what seems like an hour, but in reality is only a few minutes at the most, the scorching heat subsides and the tunnel air becomes painless to breathe. You press on and soon arrive at an archway, where the shiny steel tube enters a chamber gouged out of solid black iron. There a spiral staircase ascends to a portal. You climb the stairs and peer out through the portal. A sight greets you that sets your pulse racing. Before you stands a gleaming block of solid gold—the back of Lord Zahda’s throne. Above it, hovering motionless in the air, are two perfect crystals: one glows darkly with black fire; the other radiates a pure golden light that sends a shiver down your spine. It is the object of your quest—the Lorestone of Herdos.

Healing: +1 EP (22/32).
  1. Do we take the laumspur? If so, we'll need to either drink it now or replace an item in our backpack.
  2. Do we take the amulet?
  3. Do we grab the lorestone, smash the doomstone, or have a look around first?

OK, we've got the Sommerswerd and the silver bow back (I'm just assuming we're dropping the dagger) so our Combat Skill is back to 33. And yes, you can walk straight past that room and never get your stuff back.

If you don't have Nexus then the platinum amulet is the only way to avoid being burned in the corridor.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Drink laumspur, take amulet, Lone Wolf smash

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Drink Laumspur, take amulet, look around. Always check for traps before you get smashy.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Get Crunk on Laumspur, take the platinum bling, and look around for any and all bullshit. Getting our stuff back was almost too easy, let's get paranoid instead of lulled to sleep.

Furthermore, drink any additional laumspur we might have on hand. If the last book is any indicator, lorestones and boss fights are likely to be in close proximity. Best to cram for the exam

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Quaff Potion

Equip Amulet

Smash Doomstone