Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe it's not the exact same master. Maybe you're just hearing a small volume difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe. But Spotify Premium is what? 320kbit Vorbis? That sure ought to be transparent.

You need to set it to ‘extreme’ quality for streaming to get 320kbps

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What happens to it if your internet decides to slow down, is it like youtube and it drops the bitrate?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
It will buffer. Spotify has a couple gigs of music data in the local folder on my computer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What happens to it if your internet decides to slow down, is it like youtube and it drops the bitrate?

The desktop app buffers quite a lot, and AFAIK it will not drop the bit rate in case of slowdowns.

Besides, 320kbps is a minuscule amount of bandwidth for the connections used by most desktops and laptops.

The mobile app defaults to automatic bit rate selection, so you will be dropped to 160kbps or 96kbps if your connection quality is bad. Usually it tries to buffer at least the whole song you're listening to, so you need to be in an area with quite bad coverage to actually hit the lowest quality.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

iirc it will also pre-buffer the next song in your playlist if you have bandwidth to spare, and caches any song you have already played.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neurophonic posted:

You need to set it to ‘extreme’ quality for streaming to get 320kbps
Have it enabled.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I've stumbled across some lovely masters on Spotify, so it's possible that the non-Spotify version sounds better. As far as I know it's pretty common to use different masters for different formats. It could also be the ReplayGain present in Spotify makes it sound different due to different volume levels. :shrug:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the files on their servers are actually lower than 320kbps originally and they just serve them up as 320kbps anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Checkmate audiofools.

$6 for the Amp
$20 for the speakers
$7.50 for the replacement foam surrounds

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the files on their servers are actually lower than 320kbps originally and they just serve them up as 320kbps anyway.

If it's anything like the streaming service I worked on a teeny-tiny bit, they store everything as lossless and either batch encode into a selection of bit rates, or encode to whichever format and bit rate is needed on the fly.

We served (and possibly still serve) Dolby Pulse HE-AAC to mobile apps, and MP3 to the browser client.

Spotify Ogg Vorbis to the desktop and mobile clients, and AAC to the Chromecast (and probably Airplay, too).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 16, 2018

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Minimus 11's? I like my 7's but they're painfully bright at higher volumes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Minimus 11's? I like my 7's but they're painfully bright at higher volumes.

Those are Minimus-77's, they're slightly larger than the minimus-7 and they're gonna sound a whole lot better once I build a proper crossover for them.
I do have a pair of black Minimus 11's though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hope you paid nothing for that bookshelf.

e: Also, I'm EGG WORKOUT :mmmhmm:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hope you paid nothing for that bookshelf.

e: Also, I'm EGG WORKOUT :mmmhmm:

Technically I didn't. I think my wife paid $5 and then painted it. It's not even real wood it's a veneer. I have no idea how the paint hasn't peeled off of every part of it, let alone any part of it.
The funny thing about using those speakers a bookends, they actually sound a shitton better that way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
New video from Techmoan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenl2f0o6AQ

This is why I like this guy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/thriftstorm/status/954512948801822720

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I'd plug my subwoofer into that.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'd say it's the mid 20th century version of the etherkiller, but that would make more sense if the RCA side was female or a cable. Maybe you're supposed to use it with an extension cord?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I'd plug my subwoofer into that.

If it can handle ~2000W or more, it will just put out a lot of 60Hz.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KozmoNaut posted:

If it can handle ~2000W or more, it will just put out a lot of 60Hz.

The AC's more bassy down under.

Theris posted:

I'd say it's the mid 20th century version of the etherkiller, but that would make more sense if the RCA side was female or a cable. Maybe you're supposed to use it with an extension cord?

Of course you're supposed to use it with an extension cord. It would be dangerous to run 120v through an rca lead.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 23, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
apparently it's used to sync photo strobes but it's still pretty :pwn:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Somewhere in deepest Scotland, Big Clive wakes up in a cold sweat knowing the most dangerous device ever has been unearthed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Somewhere in deepest Scotland, Big Clive wakes up in a cold sweat knowing the most dangerous device ever has been unearthed.

I dunno... It's a toss up between that adapter and the electrode water heaters. Any water they touch becoming live...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He also showed off those cheap lantern things, that decide to throw 110/220v across the usb socket when plugged in. I’m glad I watched that one as my wife wanted to get one for our outside area, and until I can find one that isn’t so thoughtlessly designed we’ll just stick to our torches.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Do you have a link for that? it sounds hilarious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

He also showed off those cheap lantern things, that decide to throw 110/220v across the usb socket when plugged in. I’m glad I watched that one as my wife wanted to get one for our outside area, and until I can find one that isn’t so thoughtlessly designed we’ll just stick to our torches.

I was looking into those for my wood shed but then just went to Ikea and bought a 6,99€ battery-powered motion-sensing Stötta instead and so far it has worked great despite the temperatures we've been having (like -12 or -13 degrees at its lowest I think).

Also since it's fixed, I don't have to carry a lantern with me when I go get more fire wood so that's a big plus.

e: And Big Clive lives on the Isle of Man, not "deepest Scotland".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well I’ve learnt something new today. I’m terrible with accents and jumped to conclusions.

synthetik posted:

Do you have a link for that? it sounds hilarious.

https://youtu.be/4cNKGrvD1ro

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EL BROMANCE posted:

Well I’ve learnt something new today. I’m terrible with accents and jumped to conclusions.

https://youtu.be/4cNKGrvD1ro

Oh great now I'm going to fall down a Big Clive hole again

(no not THAT hole Clive, simmer down)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BobHoward posted:

Oh great now I'm going to fall down a Big Clive hole again

(no not THAT hole Clive, simmer down)

He's everybody's favorite Big Gay Scottish Uncle, with all the cool toys and a bit of a mad engineer vibe :gay:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/vizcomic/status/951184865126477824

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pop rocks, for those of us not in the UK.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had this saved to post but got lazy :awesomelon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, there's a small, but loud-mouthed segment of Spotify users who are trying to make them add lossless streaming, "hi-res" formats and even MQA and DSD to their service, because apparently bandwidth is just unlimited everywhere. One guy even seriously advocated DSD512, which is just absolutely insane.

The worst part is that they're drowning out the perfectly reasonable suggestions to migrate their lossy codec from Ogg Vorbis to Opus, in order to save bandwidth and/or provide better quality at lower bitrates.

But nope, the "MORE MORE MORE HI-RES GOLDEN EARS" crowd drowns out everything else.

I know there is probably a PR problem associated with reducing bitrates, as Soundcloud found out when they went from 128kbps MP3 to 64kbps (a net improvement in sound quality, based on the newest encoders). People went apeshit with comments like "I wouldn't even download 64kbps back in the Napster days!", as if absolutely no codec development had happened over the last two decades.

So trying to convince people that 160kbps Opus is the same sound quality as 320kbps Ogg Vorbis would be one hell of an uphill battle. Everyone just looks at the drat number, it's like the MHz/GHz race all over again. "I'm paying for 320kbps, why are you only giving me 160kbps?!" and so on.

Part of me is happy that they're open about which bitrates and codecs they use, but I also kind of wish they would just hide it away and leave the settings as "normal, high, extreme" or whatever, and ignore all queries about exact codecs and bitrates. It doesn't matter, as long as it's Good Enough.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 25, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spotify won't even let you have more than 10k songs in your library, I can't imagine them ever adding lossless.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

He's everybody's favorite Big Gay Scottish Uncle, with all the cool toys and a bit of a mad engineer vibe :gay:

I love that guy to death. Waaaaaay better in EE knowledge and humor than other snobbish "my toys are so much more expensive than your Chinesium crap" YT personalities.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Whoo boy... The Apple Homepod adds FLAC support.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/24/homepod-flac-support/

There is only one single argument I could make for this and it's, "I'm lazy and don't want to convert all my music."

But why would you be buying a lovely little device like this to listen to lossless audio anyway?!?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Does it support Opus, though?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
My Apple whoreitude may be showing, but the Homepod is hardly a "lovely little device" - it's getting a lot of legitimate audio enthusiast hype for its listed specs, like beamforming technology only currently available on 5-figure speakers. I want two!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There is no such thing as legitimate audio enthusiast hype.