Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Smiling Jack posted:

drop leg holsters suck

Well, I'm also the idiot still using the alice ruck, so let's not act like I have any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVJWu9q0oQ

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well, I'm also the idiot still using the alice ruck, so let's not act like I have any sense.

the usmc actually went back to something similar to the alice with polymer external frame and larger pack. Polymer frame + older smaller ruck is pretty dope.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 25, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Looks like it goes flat against the back as opposed to the alice frame, which juts it 4 inches out from the back.

I just like the old rucks more. I'm not spending hundreds to save ounces, I just don't need poo poo breaking when I slip, fall, bounce and slam off poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Looks like it goes flat against the back as opposed to the alice frame, which juts it 4 inches out from the back.

I just like the old rucks more. I'm not spending hundreds to save ounces, I just don't need poo poo breaking when I slip, fall, bounce and slam off poo poo.

the frame is probably cheap on ebay from some marine thief

PookBear fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 25, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008
What’s the consensus on a good folding knife with a blade under 3”? I finally broke the cheapo one I’d been carrying for years and am looking to upgrade.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Whatever Kershaw Amazon has on special at the moment

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Benchmade/Spyderco if you need a fancy tacticlol locking blade. Otherwise look no further than this: https://www.amazon.com/SWISS-ARMY-Cadet-Multitool-Silver/dp/B076N7W5HM

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Microtech

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like Coast knives but might be the only one in that boat.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Benchmade 4 lyfe

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What’s the consensus on a good folding knife with a blade under 3”? I finally broke the cheapo one I’d been carrying for years and am looking to upgrade.

I’m a huge fan of the Benchmade axis series, which gives you about 300 different ones to choose from. Looks like the 570’s are the most recent version of the line I continue to get. I'm pretty sure the one I carry with me is whatever number a 556 with the D2 blade is. Never had one break. I also have a 551 that has taken beatings for a long time.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 25, 2018

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZQH4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CkHAAbDQR2G34

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.amazon.com/Coast-RX321-Response-Blade-Assist-3-9-Inch/dp/B007HAAG0K

That's what I have. Amazon stopped carrying it though.

It's a decent knife, but I got it at cost.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mine is a bit unweildy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

uh

is the bayo lug+bayo CA legal?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

uh

is the bayo lug+bayo CA legal?

i bought it in california so i loving hope so

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Gun that can kill people at range, okay.

Put a knife at the end that you need to poke people with, ILLEGAL!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's a pump gun. It's probably OK. Even in NY, bayonet lugs are kosher on wood-stocked, pump Mossbergs. (Source: me.)

Of course, if it's a bayonet lug on a SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON then it's off the table and you're a baby rapist and literally Hitler.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What the hell makes that $105 pocket knife $95 better than the identical one I've had since probably 2000?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not a goddamn thing unless it went from being made in China to made in the states, Germany, Japan, or anywhere else with a reputation for decent blades.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Material quality. Edge retention. Lifetime warranty

The same thing that makes literally any gun better than a high point

tyler fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2018

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This is what I carry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUWW8OM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-EOAAb410Y3KW

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

What the hell makes that $105 pocket knife $95 better than the identical one I've had since probably 2000?

The locking mechanism and blade material. It's nice not chopping your fingers off.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I have a Kershaw Onion/Centofante I keep in my pocket. It's small and it keeps a good edge. I bought it with referral bucks from some taciclol site a few years ago, so it's not like it cost me anything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also having an anodized aluminum body rather than molded plastic.

It really is worth it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I think that’s gonna be it right there. I’m limited to 3” blade if I’m going to carry it, so this looks pretty good. Thanks for all the suggestions!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Go with the coated finish option. The black blade is the sexy version. And I find I use the partial serrations on the serrated version on cardboard pretty often.

That’s a 556 with the coated blade/serrated edge like amazon lists it as for an option.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 26, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/729918395

:stare:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah I always get partially serrated

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DoktorLoken posted:

The locking mechanism and blade material. It's nice not chopping your fingers off.

I have a $3 knife with the same locking mechanism.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I just noticed that, for all of the fancy stuff done to the receiver, barrel, and that beautiful wood, it still has the regular ol' front sight assembly and butt plate. Huh.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

I have a $3 knife with the same locking mechanism.

Put it under a lot of stress or hit the back of the blade and see what happens to a $3 liner lock vs. a Spyderco. Idk if they're still made, but Spyderco makes some cheaper knives in China for like $40. Really solid knife that I'm not afraid to lose or break.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

mine is a bit unweildy

What up wood and bayonet and heatshield Mossberg buddy

Henrys are cool but I still don't get their aversion to loading gates on center fire rifles. On a .22 lever I don't mind having to pull the tube out to load it but there's really no excuse for it otherwise.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Benchmade Mini-griptilian? You can even customize them!

http://customknife.benchmade.com/knives/

Slap some zazz on your knife :haw:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I think they're just trying to stick close to the original 1860's aesthetic. Yeah, the one I have is a great range toy and I love it, but I'd want a gate if I was going to carry it anywhere.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

laugh all you want at my lovely aim but i'm finally getting that loving scope on target.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWplN5sA14

nah for real, lookin' good, assuming the two lower corner shots are your final proofs? What distance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Terrible Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWplN5sA14

nah for real, lookin' good, assuming the two lower corner shots are your final proofs? What distance?

100 yards and my final two (5 shot) groups where the top left and top right corner.

also dont worry about those lil guys outside the target, my scope was grossly out of alignment.