Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Welp they broke/fixed magnification chaining which really loving sucks. Hopefully it gets reverted or my desire to play is gonna plummet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

hamsystem posted:

Welp they broke/fixed magnification chaining which really loving sucks. Hopefully it gets reverted or my desire to play is gonna plummet.

Unfortunately, the weird delay it creates is identical to the JP version, so I think that's a fix.

Goodbye spark-chaining.

Edit: Honestly I knew it was coming to GL eventually, so I stopped using that trick months ago just to prepare myself. It is very lovely since spark-chaining is basically just a freak accident mechanic for like 99% of people that play this game, since trying to tap two units in the span of microseconds is so obscenely difficult even if your phone is sensitive enough to register taps that fast (most aren't).

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2018

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
On iOS swiping up the control centre then swiping it down before queuing actions still creates perfect spark chains. The sound is no longer delayed though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Which creates a big disparity between iOS players and Android players, which is frankly bullshit.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Pulled a Basch this morning on the daily. He looks like a pretty good tank.

I was also reading this morning that for the new big boss you can use Xon to steal his 100% buff. It doesn't take the boss' buff away, but you guys will be both be immune for the duration.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Which creates a big disparity between iOS players and Android players, which is frankly bullshit.

Not that I disagree, but for months the Android magnification trick worked and there was no iOS equivalent. I doubt it’s an imbalance Gumi cares about now that it goes the other direction.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ratmtattat posted:

Pulled a Basch this morning on the daily. He looks like a pretty good tank.

I was also reading this morning that for the new big boss you can use Xon to steal his 100% buff. It doesn't take the boss' buff away, but you guys will be both be immune for the duration.

Already fixed.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Khisanth Magus posted:

Already fixed.

Of course we can't have funny things like this for too long.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
So if you use "magnify with button" instead of triple tap you can zoom in and perfect chain again. It's a little more cumbersome but it works fine.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Expeditions tell you the relevant stats in-game now.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Well, Reset Bird earned his name today. The new app has a bug where two resets in a row will act like a 100-lapis continue, reviving all units with full LB and a esper gauges. As long as one unit survives the pre-emptive strike, you can use this trick to summon Ifrit and pass the trial with all missions.

The Reddit thread on the new update (bugs and features) has the details. This works in other contexts of course, but I've only had time to use it on the bird. You could probably use it to cheese all the trials if you can do it before Gumi fixes it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

werdnam posted:

Well, Reset Bird earned his name today. The new app has a bug where two resets in a row will act like a 100-lapis continue, reviving all units with full LB and a esper gauges. As long as one unit survives the pre-emptive strike, you can use this trick to summon Ifrit and pass the trial with all missions.

The Reddit thread on the new update (bugs and features) has the details. This works in other contexts of course, but I've only had time to use it on the bird. You could probably use it to cheese all the trials if you can do it before Gumi fixes it.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
I tried it on the Chamber of Rebirth trials to get the esper clear (really, I could do it with Garnet and any LB/turn stuff now) and it works! I know games are made out of hopes and dreams and spaghetti, but it still blows my mind when these kinds of things exist.

Gotta try and cheese something while this is still up.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I would so do this, but I still don’t have the right fire weapons

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

iOS players had to sit and watch Android players pull off perfect chains for months until we found our own method.

The iOS trick was fixed on JP eventually too. We're all hosed.

It's HE frames forever now.

(edit - spelling/grammar)

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2018

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This game is rapidly becoming something you pretty much have to play on an emulator, since you need one to TMR farm and now to chain anyone who doesn't use tgc frames.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Khisanth Magus posted:

This game is rapidly becoming something you pretty much have to play on an emulator, since you need one to TMR farm and now to chain anyone who doesn't use tgc frames.

None of that is new though? Well, since the beginning of chaining anyway, which has been a thing since I started actually playing this game 9 months ago. The only changes have been the discovery of the ability to spark chain without emulators and the addition/change of units with proper chaining frames to match existing units (Christine comes to mind).

Gumi doesn’t really have the same anti-emulator stance for the US as it does in JP and I don’t imagine they’ll actively try to break spark chaining with phones. As was mentioned when we thought it had already happened: it’s going to hit their player base hard if they ever do.

I get complaining about the planning and conceptualization of chaining and the mishmash of chaining frames everywhere. But that’s a known problem since we’re a year behind the game’s development and implementation cycle. I doubt Gumi has the leeway to just start changing frame data for units - maybe very simply because they don’t want to spend the time re-doing animations to make sure it syncs up properly with new timings.

Gumi seems to be actually paying attention to stuff, and we get the added benefit of most of our localization getting to be a second pass over these things with massive amounts of “playtest” data to inform balance changes. Gumi’s still pretty obnoxious at times and very greedy but I’ve been surprised lately with the efforts they’ve made in some regards.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

werdnam posted:

If you haven't done bullshit icebird make sure to do it ASAP because the old method of reseting the turn 1000 times to get a favorable outcome has been fixed. Now its a massive NRG sink barring RNGesus blessing your attempt.

So now do the short term new reset bug before it too is fixed.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

dangerous.hotdog posted:

iOS players had to sit and watch Android players pull off perfect chains for months until we found our own method.

The iOS trick was fixed on JP eventually too. We're all hosed.

It's HE frames forever now.

(edit - spelling/grammar)

It's the same core game as in JP though, they could have just fixed it completely. So either they broke something unintentionally or they hosed up the fix they intended to implement.

On a side note, it is surprisingly easy to chain a TDH FD Onion Bro's Splendor of Earth into two Aileen's Piledriver+2s. Maybe I should finally attempt the dumb robot again.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It's still possible to spark chain on Android if you have a version that has the magnification button option. You hit it to bring up magnify mode, click somewhere on the screen where you can hit the guys you want to chain with (it'll zoom in), and then fire away and it'll chain like it did with the old magnification trick.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

say no to bats posted:

If you haven't done bullshit icebird make sure to do it ASAP because the old method of reseting the turn 1000 times to get a favorable outcome has been fixed. Now its a massive NRG sink barring RNGesus blessing your attempt.

So now do the short term new reset bug before it too is fixed.

It just lasers and murdered everyone still.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It just lasers and murdered everyone still.

I had to try twice to get one party member to survive. So there's still some RNG.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I was curious about Ice Bird so I tried making somebody who could tank the opener with the goal of surviving and using the reset bug to revive the party. I figured I'd try Barusa: He has innate paralysis immunity and good equips for ice resistance. Big Ice Bird doesn't use his ice imperil attack until after his actual ice&wind attack so I just needed to hit 100% ice & wind resistance (average) and as much tankiness as possible. Here's what I tried:

Ulric's Kukri: +10% all resistance and +20 SPR is nice.
Snowstorm Shield: +30% Ice&Wind resistance
Frozen Crown: +30% ice resistance, +500 HP, +50 SPR makes this a great slot
Ice Amor: +50% ice resistance, easy to build up high ice resistance
Arsha's Talisman & Jake's Pirate Ring: Huge HP, DEF, and SPR buffing gear
Mechanical Heart, Full Moon, Resentment, and Patriotic Recall for +HP, +DEF, and +SPR. Crowe is only 80% done so no Thirst for Survival.
Esper: Shiva

HP: 10794
DEF: 412
SPR: 326
170% ice resist, 40% wind resist, 105% average

I gave it a test run with a different build (Galkan Dagger, Great Raven Cape, Elven Gloves, Tetra Sylpheed. I still had 100% average resistance but less HP&DEF&SPR. I hoped the Great Raven Cape would offset Draw Attack and mean less lasers). Barusa survived but it was RNG dependent: He got one laser, resisted the big ice&wind attack, and took four hits on the jaw. He survived but only with ~500 HP and two of those hits were pretty low rolls. The revised build should have better odds of surviving unless he eats both lasers.

I haven't tried a second test run with the above build yet but I'm sharing him if it'll help anybody. IGN Buttz. I'd imagine somebody with actual 5* tanks like WKN could make somebody more likely to survive that initial attack and then reset glitch to one shot the ice bird.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what's this about oneshotting the ice bird?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i thought it was regarded as being pretty easy to one shot the ice bird. two OKs with fire weapons can do it without much fuss

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ice Bird is a giant glass cannon. You can just kill it in one turn with some good fire attack chains. When I did the ice bird back in the rng reset days I just had two DPS: 2B and a friend Orlandu, both with fire weapons and Tetra Sylpheed for the half effective Bird Killer. Just did a decent enough chain to oneshot the boss. My buffer (Soleil) died in the opener, Rikku could've used breaks via Pouch but instead just revived. I had a Garnet to do the evoke Ifrit and that straight up killed the little birds too. Didn't even enhance her EVO MAG or give her any materia that does the same.

e:
With the reset glitch you can bring 3-4 DPS, maybe a breaker (bird has 50% break resistance) or a buffer, and the one guy whose job is to survive. Survive the opener, reset to revive the party and get the esper gauge filled, and kill the bird. If you need all characters to kill the bird then ignore the little birds and Ifrit them on the 2nd turn. Just make sure that if you hit a bird with a fire weapon that bird dies that turn because otherwise they'll counter with bad times and likely wipe you, speaking from experience.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 25, 2018

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
You literally only needs two phys fire chainers of any decent gear to do it. Or semi-chainers, I did it with two Queens.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If you have two good phys chainers, mystea can cover the bird by herself without many issues (maybe w reset). I can throw one up if someone needs it

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
Did this update increase the buff for the series bonus in arena? I could have sworn that before my buffed Ashes used to have 7k HP, but now they have 8k HP?

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PDQ Law posted:

Did this update increase the buff for the series bonus in arena? I could have sworn that before my buffed Ashes used to have 7k HP, but now they have 8k HP?

I've seen other people report similar.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I beat the bird with an Ifrit Friendlandu (thanks man!) Need to do it again for the Hat Arts, I used WoL, 9S, Soleil (Ramza needs crysts badly!) and two Orlandeu of my own.

I swapped out WoL instead of 9S for the 5-man and in retrospect that was a huge mistake.

EDIT: Got the Hat Arts. Is there a way I can exploit this, uh, exploit, to take down the Marlboro or Wicked Moon? Is it possible to be carried through those?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 26, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Daily! Rainbow! Gilgamesh! Blargh!

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Elnath down, used Ashe with dualcast as my magic DPS and one-shotted phase 3 using the reflect trick

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
10+1 pull on the DV banner got me a 2nd Ramza as the first pull which I'm ok with as now I have a 7* Bard.

Another 15 tickets gets me nothing but oh well.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I put up a pretty strong Fohlen (also has aquan killer) for the new exploration if anyone needs:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Threw a couple tickets at the VotD banner. Got a rainbow! So hype for a second VotD or a Ramza...

...oh. Ok. That’s cool too I suppose.

No John
Nov 18, 2012
I pulled Ramza. Is he any good?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

No John posted:

I pulled Ramza. Is he any good?

Post-enhancement he is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I got a Crowe. I liked Crowe, too bad she has like thirty seconds of screen time. She's got damage reduction skills, so she's not useless.

Chasiu
Dec 30, 2007
Has anyone else's unit sorting all out of order? I have my sorted by Unit name and the bottom of my list is now:

Zyrus
Vanille
Vaan
Veritas of the Earth
Ovelia
Cloud of Darkness (I have another one that is sorted properly by C)
Silvia
King Giott
Veritas of Water
Seabreeze Dark Fina
Veritas of the Heavens
Summer Lid
Beach Time Fina
Magitek Armor Terra

Doesn't seem to be any logic to the sorting either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Chasiu posted:

Has anyone else's unit sorting all out of order? I have my sorted by Unit name and the bottom of my list is now:

Zyrus
Vanille
Vaan
Veritas of the Earth
Ovelia
Cloud of Darkness (I have another one that is sorted properly by C)
Silvia
King Giott
Veritas of Water
Seabreeze Dark Fina
Veritas of the Heavens
Summer Lid
Beach Time Fina
Magitek Armor Terra

Doesn't seem to be any logic to the sorting either

That's one of the new bugs. Sorting alphabetically apparently isn't using localized names.

• Locked thread