Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Maluco Marinero posted:

JK Simmons has that quality to take a role, seemingly any role, and then make it impossible to imagine any one else who could be better suited for it.
rip raúl juliá

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

JK Simmons has that quality to take a role, seemingly any role, and then make it impossible to imagine any one else who could be better suited for it.

plus she wrote all those harry potter books

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cool startup feel posted:

plus she wrote all those harry potter books

youre thinkin thats rockys mom.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

its fun to replay just the second act of portal 2 for that reason alone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

rip raúl juliá

i legit had no idea he was dead.

bit sad really

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

for a second I thought you were watching Sledge Hammer, which would have been very cool.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

i legit had no idea he was dead.

bit sad really

He died just before street fighter the movie was released iirc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i was saddened to learn he died and scared to learn that you could die from injury to your dignity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gonna go watch overdrawn at the memory bank in remembrance

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oops wrong thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

public school and sanitation are public goods

highways, not so much

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

for a second I thought you were watching Sledge Hammer, which would have been very cool.

glad i wasn't the only one

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

anthonypants posted:

rip raúl juliá

I saw the Addams Family movies for the first time the other day. They're strangely patchy affairs but Raúl Juliá was an absolute delight anytime he was on the screen. (Also Anjelica Huston.)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Doom Mathematic posted:

I saw the Addams Family movies for the first time the other day. They're strangely patchy affairs but Raúl Juliá was an absolute delight anytime he was on the screen. (Also Anjelica Huston.)

the second one has more quick one liners than any movie i've ever seen and even having seen it like 20 times i still catch something new on rewatch

also this happened today

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/955771016319590400
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956012274942128128

the onion is going to go out of business due to not being able to make up anything more absurd than reality

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the second one has more quick one liners than any movie i've ever seen and even having seen it like 20 times i still catch something new on rewatch

also this happened today

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/955771016319590400
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956012274942128128

the onion is going to go out of business due to not being able to make up anything more absurd than reality

lol but also take this to the gbs thread instead thanks and “god” bless

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lol but also take this to the gbs thread instead thanks and “god” bless

who the gently caress are you

feel free to go gently caress yourself

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the american president will someday simply tweet

“anroid”

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

samsunged again

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plz rename this or the android thread to "Blaming Samsung!" tyia

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Maluco Marinero posted:

gene wilder
denzel washington

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

rip raúl juliá

reminder that even as he was dying, as his kids were street fighter fans, he took the role of m bison so he could show his kids he could be a big bad villain too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

he worked so hard to polish that turd

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

he worked so hard to polish that turd

:bisonyes:

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Have you actually watched street fighter the movie? It's a fantastic film. Less than 2 hours, jokes everywhere, great props, constant one liners. It's not amazing but it's certainly not boring

Android bad chat: I've had 3 lg v20s and something has failed on all of them. Lg makes bad phones, I'm going to try a xiaomi next :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
street fighter is from the wonderful era where video game and comic book movies were just studios licensing popular properties and then taking the characters and maybe a little of their backgrounds and just doing whatever the hell they wanted to make a movie; they may have often been terrible but at least they weren't all just pure fan-service

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krakox posted:

Have you actually watched street fighter the movie? It's a fantastic film. Less than 2 hours, jokes everywhere, great props, constant one liners. It's not amazing but it's certainly not boring

Android bad chat: I've had 3 lg v20s and something has failed on all of them. Lg makes bad phones, I'm going to try a xiaomi next :v:

ah yes someone who bought an lg and is going to buy a xiaomi telling me whats fantastic

whatever you say

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i have an lg tv and instead of running an android it runs webos and it's a pretty good tv so maybe lg should make a webos phone

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

infernal machines posted:

fuchsia on pixelbook, no i don't know why they bothered either

Why does Google keep funding this stupid, lovely OS project?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fiedler posted:

Why does Google keep funding this stupid, lovely project?

evergreen post

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

Why does Google keep funding this stupid, lovely OS project?

let’s ask noted google luminary steve yegge

https://medium.com/@steve.yegge/why-i-left-google-to-join-grab-86dfffc0be84

quote:

Third, Google is arrogant. It has taken me years to understand that a company full of humble individuals can still be an arrogant company. Google has the arrogance of the “we”, not the “I”. When a company is as dramatically successful as Google has been, the organization can become afflicted with a sense of invincibility and almost manifest destiny, which leads to tragic outcomes: complacency, not-invented-here syndrome, loss of touch with customers, poor strategic decision-making. So I love the people at Google; they’re super smart and world class and always humble individuals, no matter how badass they are in their respective disciplines. But the company strategy is a mess.

I think this is obvious to anyone who has followed Google’s public launches over the past five or ten years. Google does all sorts of things these days that leave everyone scratching their heads: Picking unwinnable fights and then trying to force their product on us (e.g. Google+), launching products that are universally panned (e.g. Allo), deprecating and turning down well-loved services (e.g. Reader, Hangouts), launching official APIs with competing and incompatible frameworks (e.g. gRPC vs. REST), launching obviously competing stacks that don’t talk to each other (e.g. Android native vs. Dart/Flutter), etc. Their attempts at innovation have been confusing and mostly unsuccessful for close to a decade. Googlers know this is happening and are as frustrated by it as you are, but their leadership is failing them.

But fourth, last, and probably worst of all, Google has become 100% competitor-focused rather than customer focused. They’ve made a weak attempt to pivot from this, with their new internal slogan “Focus on the user and all else will follow.” But unfortunately it’s just lip service. It’s not that they don’t care. The problem is that their incentive structure isn’t aligned for focusing on their customers, so they wind up being too busy and it always gets deprioritized. A slogan isn’t good enough. It takes real effort to set aside time regularly for every employee to interact with your customers. Instead they play the dangerous but easier game of using competitor activity as a proxy for what customers really need. This is where their incentives are focused. Google incentivizes successful feature and product launches, and by far the easiest, safest way to produce those is by copying competitors.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their customers are advertisers, their products really only need to be able to help convert views into engagement, if they could find a way to do this by strapping you to a chair and jamming a needle into your brain, that would be a product

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
not sure what steve yegge hopes to accomplish by writing a wall of text denouncing every company he works for

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's like he's arrogant or something

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
in a few years he'll have one calling grab a bunch of hype-crazy kool-aid drinkers (while licking the stains off his own lips)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lancemantis posted:

street fighter is from the wonderful era where video game and comic book movies were just studios licensing popular properties and then taking the characters and maybe a little of their backgrounds and just doing whatever the hell they wanted to make a movie; they may have often been terrible but at least they weren't all just pure fan-service

fun for the actors too! van damme had a 2gram a day habit while loving kylie minogue and the rest were getting nonstop handjobs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
literally cannot imagine wokring 10+ years for the same company (currently going on 5 years in my current job, the longest yet and i only meant to stay for 1)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lancemantis posted:

it's like he's arrogant or something

how could that be? google is filled with the most humble people ever. every one of them, the most humble person alive

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm 10+ years in and if I make it to 25 I can retire before 50 with full health benefits it owns if you can find a place with the right perks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Man why didn't the Palm Pre take off?

Oh yeah, now I remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9aPp2ldO_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMj5RoYdEI

• Locked thread