Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

Its got 27 cards that deal damage to themselves?

I'm not sure what this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

I think Sickening means non-artifact cards to hit off madcap that deal damage to you

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 25, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Shortest Path posted:

:wtc:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I think most people would be happy to take on average 4-5 damage to summon a GPG or 6/6 with upside for 4 mana. That said, this is clearly not a serious deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I think Sickening means non-artifact cards to hit off madcap that deal damage to you

It has a lot more than 27 of those though.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically Jace owns Azor in combat without any effort at all.

In fairness, apparently Azor and Ugin had some kind of plan for Ugin to trap Nicol Bolas on Ixalan, but then Ugin went all Hedron Sleep and never showed up and Azor went insane. None of this explains exactly how this dumb plan would have worked given that obviously Jace and Vraska will leave at the end of this arc so obviously just getting the Immortal Sun is enough to break the lock and Bolas is stronger than Jace is.

I think just having the Immortal Sun on a plane prevents planeswalkers from planeswalking to another plane? But it doesn't stop, say, a planar bridge. One of the cards from the set indicates that Tezzeret shows up to swipe The Immortal Sun and move it elsewhere using the bridge. Bolas stole a planar bridge, created an army of Eternals, and now will have the anti-planeswalking power of the Immortal Sun, but we don't know what his endgame is yet.

Ugin's plans loving suck since they all depended on him not getting put into a coma by Nicol Bolas.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

moush posted:

I think most people would be happy to take on average 4-5 damage to summon a GPG or 6/6 with upside for 4 mana. That said, this is clearly not a serious deck.

Average damage is around 3. A bit over half the time it'll be 2 damage or less. ~80% of the time it's 5 damage or less. Then it's long tail from there.

It's not a serious deck, but it's not a terrible one. Went 4-1 in it's first league despite being super untuned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lets Pickle posted:

I think just having the Immortal Sun on a plane prevents planeswalkers from planeswalking to another plane? But it doesn't stop, say, a planar bridge. One of the cards from the set indicates that Tezzeret shows up to swipe The Immortal Sun and move it elsewhere using the bridge. Bolas stole a planar bridge, created an army of Eternals, and now will have the anti-planeswalking power of the Immortal Sun, but we don't know what his endgame is yet.

Ugin's plans loving suck since they all depended on him not getting put into a coma by Nicol Bolas.

His endgame is literally "kill all planeswalkers and life on all planes that won't serve him, become ruler of the multiverse muahahaha"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Count Bleck posted:

His endgame is literally "kill all planeswalkers and life on all planes that won't serve him, become ruler of the multiverse muahahaha"

He's replacing Cat Dad as my favorite PW. I appreciate his ambition and low-concept old-school scheming villainy.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He's replacing Cat Dad as my favorite PW. I appreciate his ambition and low-concept old-school scheming villainy.

Archenemy does a great job conveying that flavor actually. I’m not really into the whole 1 vs all thing, but the schemes were fun enough to play it once or twice.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Unfortunately when they actually had Nicol Bolas onscreen as a character instead of a sinister background Mastermind he was just kind of campy and boring

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

seems like nicol bolas's plan is literally the one from dbz where they tried to trap pink boi in the time zone. he's gonna trick all the walkers onto one plane and trap them

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lets Pickle posted:

To be fair, if all my plans needed a built-in contingency for my getting put into a coma, I'd find it a lot harder to get anything done.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Procrastinator posted:

seems like nicol bolas's plan is literally the one from dbz where they tried to trap pink boi in the time zone. he's gonna trick all the walkers onto one plane and trap them

Then he should have the phyrexians and the Eldrazi invade the plane at the same time, implode the whole loving thing and make Wizards start over with non poo poo characters.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

did mono black become more or less cool when it became capable of winning games before turn 30

you're asking a person who played enchantress before helm combo and who loves winning games by attacking people to death with a 1/3. what do you think

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

Its got 27 cards that deal damage to themselves? 10 of them 4 cmc. Almost half the deck.

Madcap Experiment is just damage equal to the number of cards, the CMC doesn't matter

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a way to access the meta pages for old standards on mtggoldfish?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Clearly that deck needs to replace the champion of wits with the brainstorm merfolk to get better madcap value.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Errant Gin Monks posted:

the phyrexians ... poo poo characters.

:frogout:

Phyrexians are cool villains. Bolas was okay until he was actually featured in the story.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bolas was cool until they decided to take his character in a dumbass direction

This is like the third time he's been featured in the story and the first two times they actually did interesting things with him

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Then he should have the phyrexians and the Eldrazi invade the plane at the same time, implode the whole loving thing and make Wizards start over with non poo poo characters.

Reboot the whole drat franchise, go back to the 5th Edition cardface (black border, though) and printing process, re-introduce Magic's colors and their identities with a brand-new culturually relevant and consistent storyline? I can get behind that. Hell, they could take a fresh stab at balancing the colors within their identities and actually print powerful-but-not-oppressive spells again! Sorceries could have flash, Planeswalkers could have personalities, design space from Unstable could be used! Classic Magic back, though, the blue looks WAY better than the yellow their graphic design-marketing fuckstains came up with.

Tangentially-related: does anyone here know enough about the manufacture of playing cards to tell me whether or not their new, petrol-reeking printing process is actually more secure against counterfeit? The cards smell disgusting now (vs euphoric and addictive before) and I'd think that it'd be easy work for a professional counterfeiter to remove the foil stamp from a post-modern rare and press it into a fake EMA Mana Crypt. It's not like sloppy quality control would betray its artificiality. :v:

I'd like to not endure another run of expansions like SOI onward before they realise that a re-boot is in everyone's best interests.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Reboot the whole drat franchise, go back to the 5th Edition cardface (black border, though) and printing process, re-introduce Magic's colors and their identities with a brand-new culturually relevant and consistent storyline? I can get behind that. Hell, they could take a fresh stab at balancing the colors within their identities and actually print powerful-but-not-oppressive spells again! Sorceries could have flash, Planeswalkers could have personalities, design space from Unstable could be used! Classic Magic back, though, the blue looks WAY better than the yellow their graphic design-marketing fuckstains came up with.

Tangentially-related: does anyone here know enough about the manufacture of playing cards to tell me whether or not their new, petrol-reeking printing process is actually more secure against counterfeit? The cards smell disgusting now (vs euphoric and addictive before) and I'd think that it'd be easy work for a professional counterfeiter to remove the foil stamp from apost-modern rare and press it into a fake EMA Mana Crypt. It's not like sloppy quality control would betray its artificiality. :v:

I'd like to not endure another run of expansions like SOI onward before they realise that a re-boot is in everyone's best interests.

I actually live close to the current place they print MTG cards (Dallas). I should probably make some friends there for some sweet cardboard leaks.

Whatever answer it is, its always associated with $$. Either the printing product supplier only makes cheap paper to make $, or the printing company only buys cheap paper to make $, or WOTC has it made with cheap paper to make more $.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Magic players are scum.

Oh, and remember that pro tour that they banned travis woo from? WOTC reported his travel expenses as income so that he has to pay taxes on it. You know, the pro tour he was banned from and couldn't attend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freemagic/comments/7srme1/wotc_is_making_travis_woo_pay_for_the_expenses/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1z7rWaa7E

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, but still loving weird.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

Magic players are scum.

Why is this spiking?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Why is this spiking?

Reserved list.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

Reserved list.

Oh. I thought there was some specific effort to corner the market, like by CHUDS because it's the KKK card by the racist artist with the Hitler gatherer number.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: my friend just got that card the other week to put in his edh deck for a laugh.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Why is this spiking?

Because it's not, anyone who actually uses tcgplayer mid for pricing in 2018 is stupid. There's one copy listed for 1275; you can still get a copy under 200 on ebay right now, and tcg market price is still 193, which means no one has actually been buying any copies.

Sickening posted:

Magic players are scum.

Yes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Oh, and remember that pro tour that they banned travis woo from? WOTC reported his travel expenses as income so that he has to pay taxes on it. You know, the pro tour he was banned from and couldn't attend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freemagic/comments/7srme1/wotc_is_making_travis_woo_pay_for_the_expenses/

Put it in my veins

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Because it's not, anyone who actually uses tcgplayer mid for pricing in 2018 is stupid. There's one copy listed for 1275; you can still get a copy under 200 on ebay right now, and tcg market price is still 193, which means no one has actually been buying any copies

People will believe that that is the "correct" price and they'll all rise. It's the way the shared delusion of markets and stocks works, just like it always has. (Remember the Nintendo Pokemon Go stock? :v:) There's a single copy <200 on ebay right now and I assume people will start pulling theirs to replace at the "correct" price later. There's already a new listed putting $450 for MP.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

Magic players are scum.

This can be written off

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Chill la Chill posted:

People will believe that that is the "correct" price and they'll all rise. It's the way the shared delusion of markets and stocks works, just like it always has. (Remember the Nintendo Pokemon Go stock? :v:) There's a single copy <200 on ebay right now and I assume people will start pulling theirs to replace at the "correct" price later. There's already a new listed putting $450 for MP.

Yeah, pretty much. It would be fascinating watching how irrational magic players are if it didn't constantly cause real problems for the game :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Magic players are scum.

Guess he had to pay his Travis expenses

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

One Promo Thalia is also "worth" more than I paid for my playset. What a good game we play.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

One Promo Thalia is also "worth" more than I paid for my playset. What a good game we play.

gently caress. This was next on my list for foiling out Legacy D&T :negative:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

LOL when did this happen? I have 1 in my EDH deck but pack foils for my modern taxes deck. Guess I should have went with all promo's after all!

edit: there's two still on ebay, one from China for $60 and another one for $85

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It all seemed to work better when each plane/set was just a self contained story and there was no need for an overarching meta-narrative. Mirrodin is a good example. Like yes, cool, Karn shows up and the Mirari is technically the cause of Memnarch but the story stands on its own and knowing what or who either of those things are is totally unnecessary. It's just an excuse for a cool bio-metallic world. Neat. Moving on.

What I'm saying is that it was better when Planeswalkers weren't much of a focus :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress. This was next on my list for foiling out Legacy D&T :negative:

Yeah, I jumped on them when humans became a deck. I knew this would happen eventually.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

LOL when did this happen? I have 1 in my EDH deck but pack foils for my modern taxes deck. Guess I should have went with all promo's after all!

edit: there's two still on ebay, one from China for $60 and another one for $85

The last few days AFAIK. I'm sure they'll end up closer to that range but it's still pretty far from the $40 they were not too long ago.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I jumped on them when humans became a deck. I knew this would happen eventually.

The last few days AFAIK. I'm sure they'll end up closer to that range but it's still pretty far from the $40 they were not too long ago.

But you don't like playing magic I thought. You just speccing for that amazing MTGfinance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Anyone dealt with selling/trading to TCGplayer for credit? How bad am I gonna get rooked if I trade in some random standard rares to TCGplayer for credit to finish my stupid stompy gruulasaur deck? The buylist prices are a lot less insulting than my friendly local magic shop for sure. If they are bad, is there a better option?