Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Sword of the Stars 2 will always ground my release day expectations in both reason and horror.

That one involved naked duplicity though. Paradox has had some rather hosed releases but nothing like that abortion. They probably still regret publishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm a little ways into an ironman game, I really like the game so far although I haven't actually gotten into any fights yet. How is the combat? I played Endless Space before and I hated the combat in that one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thyrork posted:

Sword of the Stars 2 will always ground my release day expectations in both reason and horror.

-restored sound

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I'm a little ways into an ironman game, I really like the game so far although I haven't actually gotten into any fights yet. How is the combat? I played Endless Space before and I hated the combat in that one.

Combat is better than Endless Space, although it's in the vein of other Paradox games. Instead of small men smushing into each other, it's tiny spaceships. The ship designer and the options it presents are much more interesting than in ES2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I have a 10-11 hour flight on the 24th, so this is pretty much perfect. Thanks once again Paradox for releasing expansions just before my long trips.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any link to the stream?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws

Here's a youtube version of the announcement trailer because the one from Twitter didn't work for me and I love these Paradox trailers

Holy moly that is an amazing trailer. Probably my favorite of any Paradox trailers to-date. Very excited.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

-restored sound

This made me pop onto Kerberos' forums to see what they're up to now. They've decided to continue their strategy of not getting better at any particular genre by making a board game now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hobbesmaster posted:

:rip: UNE. Must’ve spawned next to an advanced start purifier

As someone who's mostly been sticking with the UNE for figuring out the game...this trailer hurts.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so I bought this since it was a part of the humble bundle and im having fun, but it seems like sectors are incredibly bad and dumb?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yvonmukluk posted:

As someone who's mostly been sticking with the UNE for figuring out the game...this trailer hurts.
Some of the best scifi comebacks start with homeworlds blowing up.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Splicer posted:

Some good scifi comebacks start with homeworld blowing up.

I, too, enjoyed Titan A.E.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NEED MORE MILK posted:

so I bought this since it was a part of the humble bundle and im having fun, but it seems like sectors are incredibly bad and dumb?

They're never going to be as smart as a human, no.

I prefer (economy allowing) to put my developed planets in a sector rather than new ones, so I can intelligently develop my planets into something effective. Make sure you disable "Redevelopment" or they'll just undo your hard work for whatever they think they need.

Late game if I've gone really wide, then I'll let them build themselves. But before that? Nah.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is this what it feels like to be genocided? Why am I so quick to do it if I don't want it done to me? Looks like I've got some thinking to do.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

They're never going to be as smart as a human, no.

I prefer (economy allowing) to put my developed planets in a sector rather than new ones, so I can intelligently develop my planets into something effective. Make sure you disable "Redevelopment" or they'll just undo your hard work for whatever they think they need.

Late game if I've gone really wide, then I'll let them build themselves. But before that? Nah.

yeah but it seems like once I turn planets into a sector I stop getting resources out of them, and then I have to spend influence to get my own resources out of my planets?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah but it seems like once I turn planets into a sector I stop getting resources out of them, and then I have to spend influence to get my own resources out of my planets?

Sectors earn resources based on their planet, what stations you gift them, etc. You can tax this income at 0/25/50/75%.

So yes, they always keep SOME of their resources to themselves, but not all. And they can spend these resources on stuff within their borders, like spending some of their stockpile to build a new mining station on a planet.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ExtraNoise posted:

Holy moly that is an amazing trailer. Probably my favorite of any Paradox trailers to-date. Very excited.
Yeah - that was baller.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NEED MORE MILK posted:

It was a great idea, the early game has you micro-managing the tiles on your planets which is fine and even a bit fun for some people, but once you get 5 planets, 10 planets, 30 planets it becomes a mindless chore so why not automate it? The problem of course is that making an AI that can automate things "correctly" is extremely hard because although the tile system seems very simple and even tedious for a player, it's extremely hard to get an AI to do it in an optimal way AND a way that the player doesn't think is "doing it wrong". A year later of constant complaints and constant "sectors work way better now in the upcoming patch!" they just threw up their hands in the air and let us fiddle with sector planets as much as we want (previously if you put a sector in a planet you couldn't touch them, you could see them doing something very stupid but not intervene)

It's a shame because in CK2 a big focus of the game mechanics is that you as a player can only directly manage a few provinces, the rest of your empire will be managed by AI characters. But this is fine unlike for stellaris for a few big reasons. The first big one is that your vassals are characters not just faceless AI, and them doing kinda dumb poo poo can easily be excused as that duke being an idiot or having his own personal agenda, and half the game is pretty much trying to keep your vassals in line and loyal by respecting their autonomy. The other big difference is that there's just not that many choices for "doing it wrong" in CK2 province/city development. You might not agree that they upgraded their castle instead of their city but they can't really "ruin" a province. In Stellaris the tile management is a huge min/maxing puzzle game where, depending on your goals, there's absolutely wrong and bad solutions and it triggers OCD watching the AI build twice as many farms as they need, or building that mine on an energy tile and the power plant on a mineral tile.

Besides the core problem of the tile system just not being a good design choice in a game with the scale of Stellaris (it's only fun or relevant in the early game) it's the classic problem of a fiddly tedious little system where a lot of people feel they "have" to personally manage everything to avoid non-optimal planets because it really does add up, but at the same time as you grow each individual planet becomes less and less important. Sure managing your planet by hand might give you 5 more minerals on your planet and only take you 2 minutes to do, and at the start of the game those 5 minerals might be a +25% boost. But later in the game those same 2 minutes of work still only gives you those same 5 more minerals, but you need to do it on 30 planets. The same investment in player-time is only giving you a tiny percentage bonus, but if you don't do it on every single planet you'll be losing that empire-wide 25% bonus. So you can either say gently caress it, I've got enough minerals I'll just learn to cast aside my OCD and let the AI poorly manage my planets, or spend more and more of the game micro-managing every single planet to squeeze less and less of a relative bonus out of them.

I'd love to see a planet/tile redesign with the scope of the movement/border redesign coming in 2.0 but I doubt we'll ever get it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm pretty bad at planetary layouts, I just stick to the preexisting resources when I'm developing my planets.

It's me, I'm the player dumber than the AI. :saddowns:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Just play tall and then you never have to deal with sector AI. :smug:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Splicer posted:

Some of the best scifi comebacks start with homeworlds blowing up.

if they're going to continue with alternate start civics this would be a cool one

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Actually yeah, I name stuff "Mineral Planet 1" or "Energy Planet 4".

"Airstrip One"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NEED MORE MILK posted:

Sectors keep some of their resources to spend upgrading themselves. Unfortunately, their decisions on what to spend this on ranges between "Not what I would have done, personally" and "What the loving gently caress are you doing???" As of the last major patch you can hop in and force it to build the things you want, so the best settings in my opinion are:
Turn off space construction
Turn off robits
Turn off redevelopment
Turn on respect tile resources
This limits how badly they can gently caress up your poo poo, so they'll pretty much just build and upgrade basic buildings and you can swing by and build robots and weird stuff whenever you think of it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Leave robits on if you're a robit race, of course.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shugojin posted:

Leave robits on if you're a robit race, of course.
Oh yeah obviously otherwise RIP wrists. They'll do some stupid stuff with them sometimes but lesser of two evils etc.

StashAugustine posted:

if they're going to continue with alternate start civics this would be a cool one
I wonder if nuking a planet's moon has any effect. Be a great show of force, blowing up the moon but leaving the planet intact to deal with messed up tides and continual meteor strikes. "We could have destroyed you. Instead we educated you. It would be best if the lesson ended here."

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 25, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Shibawanko posted:

There are some additional tricks and quirks to it, but the short version really is that big fleet power beats small fleet power. Don't mash your smaller fleet into their bigger fleet unless you designed your ships specifically as a counter for your enemy or you have a Cunning Plan (please note, currently there are almost no Cunning Plans except for very edge cases. 2.0 is supposed to help change this.)

NEED MORE MILK posted:

Personally what I do is to make sure I have a strong core sector with a healthy economy, and then start setting up my outlying sectors. Once the sectors are actually set up, I turn off all the taxes so that the sector keeps everything it makes, and then dump a shitload of my spare energy and minerals on them and then forget about them for a while. Later on, once they've built up their economy reasonably/when I remember, I go back and crank up the taxes as I see fit and rake in that sweet, sweet micro-free resource flow. It's probably not as efficient as managing the planets myself but I don't care, it works well enough and I absolutely do NOT want to personally manage that many planets.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Splicer posted:

I wonder if nuking a planet's moon has any effect. Be a great show of force, blowing up the moon but leaving the planet intact to deal with messed up tides and continual meteor strikes. "We could have destroyed you. Instead we educated you. It would be best if the lesson ended here."

I doubt it's going to have any real effect but boy howdy this is now a personal war goal.

Bonus points if the enemy's homeworld is the moon and you blow up the planet they're orbiting. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
FORGIVE ME LORD FOR I HAVE SYNTH

Just bought Synthetic Dawn, plantbots are loving adorable. Starting a new game as the Hortibot Network: rogue servitors with my usual parrot species as bio-trophies.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody got a link to an archive of the stream from today?

Just got in from work and I can't find it. :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The stream didn't go very far because they kept desyncing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

The stream didn't go very far because they kept desyncing.

That's pretty sad considering how much they hyped it up :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ehh, they were probably hyping it for the release date+trailer and that sure happened :v:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just do singleplayer instead surely. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I find the single player streams a lot more informative because they can just focus on the one game and one person can pay while the other person comments.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

why does the trailer make me want to wipe the galaxy of all non-humans

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's Commonwealth propaganda trying to convince UNE citizens to vote for integration under the Commonwealth.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

That's pretty sad considering how much they hyped it up :(

The hype was mainly for the trailer/announcement. We'll probably do an extra stream to compensate (we've already fixed the OOS).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

why does the trailer make me want to wipe the galaxy of all non-humans

they hate us for are freedom

its the only way to be sure

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If only they had the visionary leadership of Emperor Zelevas.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
sorry humans; I have been spoiled by robots and am never going back ~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wow ok holy gently caress, 2.0 fixes defensive wars, right? I've never been on the "ally" side of a defensive war and being just trapped and helpless as the AI throws away its fleets and refuses to recapture planets, meaning my poo poo gets stolen in the peace agreement is super infuriating.

Xenophobic all the way I guess. gently caress "friends"

• Locked thread