Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hell yeah!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wish Low Blow wasn't so bad, because it's super satisfying to suddenly destroy someone with lurking arm.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lucifirius posted:

HGC being the thing they don't promote that well, with teams I don't know about because Blizzard doesn't care as much about their other games that aren't Weebwatch and World of Raidcraft?

Blizzard promotes games that make them a bazillion dollars.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

1stGear posted:

Overwatch had movie theater trailers and advertisements on mass transit systems before it launched.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If it makes you feel better i'm sure blizz has lost way more money on HotS than OW.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

If it makes you feel better i'm sure blizz has lost way more money on HotS than OW.

Have they actually lost money on HotS? Pretty sure OW has lost them no money.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

For every rear end and titty skin released in OW another $100k goes into Jeff Kaplan's hockey jersey fund overnight

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

1stGear posted:

Did they try?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Whoever captainspace is, you play a pretty mean Li-Ming. Good job on that Haunted Mines zero-death game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

For every rear end and titty skin released in OW another $100k goes into Jeff Kaplan's hockey jersey fund overnight

hahaha, right? ? He looks like a child

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Whoever captainspace is, you play a pretty mean Li-Ming. Good job on that Haunted Mines zero-death game.

lol that's me, had SA open on the other screen and was like wait a minute that name looks familiar...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fried Watermelon posted:

wrestle with Jeff
prepare for death

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

is bambam less awkward than grubby? everytime he says lol out loud I want to rip my ears off

bambam just acts like a huge bro

if you think grubby is 'awkward,' prepare yourself for "nah son dont even play me like that" etc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Grubby is one of the most well-adjusted streamers for any game I've ever watched tbh.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Grubby is like the Bob Ross of video games.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kai Tave posted:

Grubby is one of the most well-adjusted streamers for any game I've ever watched tbh.

Yeah I feel like the only thing "awkward" about Grubby is that he isn't a loving spaz, and everyone who loves watching video game streamers seems to be really into watching them be loving spazzes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MaliciousOnion posted:

No, the Bob Ross of video games is definitely Lethalfrag.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

MaliciousOnion posted:

And/or Mister Rogers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lucifirius posted:

Did they try?

I mean, they've made a bunch of cinematics, fund and host a tournament scene, and still giving this game a remarkable amount of high-quality updates on a regular basis. Blizzard is by no means abandoning HotS and they show no intention of doing so. I'm gonna make a wild guess and say its hitting its performance targets for them.

But the MOBA genre is dominated by DOTA and LoL and both of those games were well entrenched before HotS even entered open beta. Blizzard isn't going to spend the same money on HotS that they did on Overwatch unless a miracle happens and somehow the popularity of one of the other games tanks in proportion to a rise in HotS' population.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

1stGear posted:

I mean, they've made a bunch of cinematics, fund and host a tournament scene, and still giving this game a remarkable amount of high-quality updates on a regular basis. Blizzard is by no means abandoning HotS and they show no intention of doing so. I'm gonna make a wild guess and say its hitting its performance targets for them.

But the MOBA genre is dominated by DOTA and LoL and both of those games were well entrenched before HotS even entered open beta. Blizzard isn't going to spend the same money on HotS that they did on Overwatch unless a miracle happens and somehow the popularity of one of the other games tanks in proportion to a rise in HotS' population.

It appears to get slightly more attention than Starcraft 2 has gotten, but significantly less than Overwatch, which is competing with CS:GO and Call of Duty.

I mean yes, HotS is getting attention, has tournaments and pro teams, but Overwatch has it's own tab in the launcher while HGC is nowhere to be seen.

I'm kinda feeling what I'm sure D3 players have been feeling, and they've been getting much less attention short of the Necromancer release.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
OW League had like 100 million + of investment, HGC is scapped together by Blizzard. It's insane to expect even similar levels of advertisement.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

moush posted:

OW League had like 100 million + of investment, HGC is scapped together by Blizzard. It's insane to expect even similar levels of advertisement.

My complaint is that it appears that they didn't try nearly as hard with HotS esports as they are with Overwatch esports.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean, it's not really 'appear'. Blizzard has definitely put more money, time, and people into Overwatch than they have with HOTS.

But we keep on getting characters and reworks, and if this year's Midseason Brawl is as good as last year's, I'll be really, really happy. Because that event seemed more memorable to me than Blizzcon for HOTS, because it was a solid week+ dedicated solely to heroes, and between all of the actual matches there were some really rad showmatches.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kurona_bright posted:

I mean, it's not really 'appear'. Blizzard has definitely put more money, time, and people into Overwatch than they have with HOTS.

But we keep on getting characters and reworks, and if this year's Midseason Brawl is as good as last year's, I'll be really, really happy. Because that event seemed more memorable to me than Blizzcon for HOTS, because it was a solid week+ dedicated solely to heroes, and between all of the actual matches there were some really rad showmatches.

Yeah, HOTS seems to exist in a state of being popular enough that it can continue to merit continued gameplay updates through new characters and maps (yes, and cosmetics), I've seen rough guesstimates that put its playerbase around a million people which is a fraction of something like League, DOTA, PUBG, or Overwatch, so it's not surprising that it doesn't get a ton of money thrown at it because Blizzard probably correctly has figured that there isn't really a way they can just throw gobs of money at the esports angle and grow the playerbase a commensurate amount.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lucifirius posted:

My complaint is that it appears that they didn't try nearly as hard with HotS esports as they are with Overwatch esports.

Not as hard? Sure. But they did basically guarantee a decent income for the top 10 (?) teams iirc which is pretty big.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

For those interested, this is what Maiev looked like in Warcraft III (and the Warcraft III HD Remake Asset Pack for Starcraft II). Two interesting details:

1) People who like Maiev's design because it doesn't involve "tit plate" likely have never looked very closely at the Warcraft III model, 'cause it's pretty drat tit plate-y.
2) The Heroes design more closely resembles the Art that Samwise did than the actual unit from Warcraft III.

I can't say I'm a fan of the Samwise style full-face helmet - if it was a generic Warden then I wouldn't care, but Maiev is not a generic Warden.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kith posted:

I can't say I'm a fan of the Samwise style full-face helmet - if it was a generic Warden then I wouldn't care, but Maiev is not a generic Warden.

That's the appearance she uses in WoW, so.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Maiev doesn’t look like other Wardens in WoW at all. No other Warden has the big ponytail like she does and same goes for her shoulders. I don’t think they have that big cloak either. I think Maiev has a really strong character design to be honest

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If Blizzard is allowed to basically rewrite the entire history of the Warcraft universe multiple times, they're allowed to change a character's aesthetic slightly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Samwise warden artwork is one of the few Samwise pieces I actually like. It's spooky looking, it's cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wiegieman posted:

The Samwise warden artwork is one of the few Samwise pieces I actually like. It's spooky looking, it's cool.

Yeah she looks like she is ready to gently caress someone up. It's nice that a lady also gets to enjoy the "tiny heads and giant arms/hands" aesthetic.

edit:

Kith posted:

1) People who like Maiev's design because it doesn't involve "tit plate" likely have never looked very closely at the Warcraft III model, 'cause it's pretty drat tit plate-y.

I really don't think those are breasts on her plate. If they were, they'd be more than a 2D texture on her body. Trust me, Blizzard really wasn't restrained when they wanted to put tiddies on a model in Warcraft III. The concept art also doesn't show any sign of that either.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 26, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't play Warcraft 3 or early WoW so for years I thought Maiev was a demon or something underneath that armor because it's so incredibly un-elfy.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also WC3 was mostly top-down perspective, wardens were nothing but spinning capes and flying knives.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

She'd better be able to bust out an Avatar of Vengeance.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

BrianBoitano posted:

Not as hard? Sure. But they did basically guarantee a decent income for the top 10 (?) teams iirc which is pretty big.

Fair enough, I'm just salty from my experiences playing Overwatch and with Overwatch heroes in this game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

An absolute slobberknocker on Dragon Shire, going from practically defeated to an astonishing comeback. Early on we couldn't remotely get our poo poo together, our Zeratul and Li Li were duoqueue partners and I have no idea what either of them were up to half the time, Zera would wander away from perfectly served 2v1 ganks on a whim and hang out in lanes doing fuckall, the other team manages to take most of the dragons and we're eventually with one or two half dead keeps and a core at 58%.

Suddenly everything starts clicking, largely thanks to several factors:

1). Our Tyrande player being really good at landing those stuns.

2). Li Li thankfully taking Jug of 1000 Cups instead of Water Dragon, which meant even during Butcher hard engages it wasn't an instant slaughter.

3). A full button smashing Sonya engage consisting of Leap, Nerves of Steel, Feel No Pain, and every ability whenever they came off cooldown.

Suddenly we start winning each sloppy, messy fight on a pure numbers basis. We might lose one or two but they lose three or four. We take all the camps, we keep pressure on. Finally we get a dragon and go smash their mid keep when we notice that catapults have built up in our base. Tyrande and Lili port back and manage to salvage things at 4%. If Butcher so much as wanders into our base and sneezes we will lose the game.

What follows is a ridiculous map-wide back and forth of tentative scouting, owls flying everywhere, and our Zeratul finally just loving ganking Gazlowe like he should have been doing from the beginning, we take another dragon with three of the red team dead and Butcher running a Hail Mary down to our base, and we win the video game.

Question for the audience: With Sonya, how do you make the decision between War Paint and Block at level 1? I took Block in this game because of the number of autoattackers they had, Butcher and Artanis and Hammer, and also because we had a support. On the other hand being quickmatch, Li Li was sometimes nowhere to be found. Still, I think I made the right call especially near the end of the game when winning fights became a matter of winning a battle with Butcher, but there are other games I'm not quite as sure whether the regen sustain is better or if the block will suffice.

Also when do you consider Wrath of the Berserker over Leap?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I have a buncha gold now so I bought some cheap dudes. I played Anub'arak tonight and he's kind of fun. Tanky, good mobility, line stun, whats not to like. I remember someone saying he got nerfed? What's his deal?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
His voice actor is TERRIBLE, and unlike Tassdar or Zeratul's, his old one is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kai Tave posted:

Question for the audience: With Sonya, how do you make the decision between War Paint and Block at level 1? I took Block in this game because of the number of autoattackers they had, Butcher and Artanis and Hammer, and also because we had a support. On the other hand being quickmatch, Li Li was sometimes nowhere to be found. Still, I think I made the right call especially near the end of the game when winning fights became a matter of winning a battle with Butcher, but there are other games I'm not quite as sure whether the regen sustain is better or if the block will suffice.

Also when do you consider Wrath of the Berserker over Leap?
War Paint by default but if there's any realistic chance of getting decent block value I go block. This includes games against valla, greymane, jimmy, zuljin, valeera, zeratul, list goes on. Butcher is the best possible opponent to take block against because it will be preventing 1000+ damage over 2 AAs from him if he's stacked.

Wrath is the default choice - it's really insane - but if you see yourself getting leap value against heroes like Ana, Nova, Morales, Chromie, go for it. Take poison spear for sure if you go leap. I go something like 50/50 wrath/leap but I should probably pick wrath more.

One thing i see is a ton of players taking life funnel over mystical spear, which makes no sense to me. Mystical spear is busted.