Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

About the only hope I see is the team PT coming up, and even then it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored a 28-32 DRS top 8. Or they'll ban Brainstorm or something instead.

???
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rgg-YsN1ad5HYkg2TecNU1sgWh9TkkE-YMGagXrJQKg/edit#gid=20846704

Sure, deathrite is in the most popular deck (11%), but it's also the only deck in the top 10 most popular decks that plays DRS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
My meta is 2 Lands, 1-2 Show and Tell Variants, 2-4 Death and Taxes, 3 Delver variants (UR, Sultai, Grixis), 1 Sultai Control, 2 Burn, 1 Belcher/Dredge, 2 Elves, and then the random stuff that shows up. I think the format is pretty healthy. It's been far worse. I play Lands (though I have 4 different decks). Punishing Fire is a sweet card.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EvilBeard posted:

My meta is 2 Lands, 1-2 Show and Tell Variants, 2-4 Death and Taxes, 3 Delver variants (UR, Sultai, Grixis), 1 Sultai Control, 2 Burn, 1 Belcher/Dredge, 2 Elves, and then the random stuff that shows up. I think the format is pretty healthy. It's been far worse. I play Lands (though I have 4 different decks). Punishing Fire is a sweet card.

Before I left my hometown our meta was Lands, Miracles, Eldrazi, Merfolk, Burn, Shardless BUG Leovold, SnT and DnT.

I haven't played since the ban though. RIP Miracles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I kind of want to re-build my Modern Goblins deck because I don't already have enough bad decks that I never get to play. Also it's gotten a couple of new toys since I last had it built-
15 Mountain
4 Ramunap Ruins
3 Fanatical Firebrand
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Frenzied Goblin
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Goblin Guide
2 Goblin Piledriver
1 Hellrider
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mogg War Marshal
3 Reckless Bushwhacker

Sideboard:
3 Abrade
2 Dragon's Claw
4 Leyline of Punishment
3 Magus of the Moon
3 Tormod's Crypt

Firebrand goes where Mogg Fanatic would go, I like that Firebrand can swing on turn 1 and then go over the top later when there are blockers. Ruins also gives the deck late-game reach if you're not already dead on turn 4. Lastly, Abrade could also be something like Shattering Spree or Smash to Smithereens but Abrade seems to be the current hotness. Also I like my SB cards to be flexible. Did I miss any obvious goblins to include?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
"Esper cards I found in boxes.dec"

Trying to decide if I should devote 4 slots to another gifts, unburial rites, iona, elesh norn... and if so, what to cut. I feel like the second I do that it's gonna take me off the control plan, though, and drawing those cards feels pretty bad, especially without thirst for knowledge to bin them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone going to be at the Philly Teams event this weekend?

I'm running Lands in the legacy seat for my team Saturday; and moving over to the Modern classic on Sunday if that doesnt pan out. Drop a line if you'll be there; I'm staying at a hotel right next to the event

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Trying to decide if I should devote 4 slots to another gifts, unburial rites, iona, elesh norn... and if so, what to cut. I feel like the second I do that it's gonna take me off the control plan, though, and drawing those cards feels pretty bad, especially without thirst for knowledge to bin them.

What would you be Gifts-ing for if not a big creature- Snapcaster targets and Lingering Souls? I'd rather be cheating a big creature into play. I'm also not sure how much I like the singleton Timely Reinforcements in the main deck, seems like it might be better in the sideboard.

Looks like it could be fun though, I've always wanted to make some sort of Esper Control list work because I have just about all of the cards I'd need, I just don't know how to fit them together. Also I'm too cheap to buy Colonnades.

Walked posted:

Anyone going to be at the Philly Teams event this weekend?

I'm running Lands in the legacy seat for my team Saturday; and moving over to the Modern classic on Sunday if that doesnt pan out. Drop a line if you'll be there; I'm staying at a hotel right next to the event

I didn't know there was something in Philly this weekend but if it's at the convention center then I live within walking distance of there, I might be able to sneak over Sunday afternoon. Lots of good food over there, hit me up if you need recommendations.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright I have a modern open and a 1K this weekend.

I'm taking Bant Spirits to the open, and Seismic Swans to the 1K

Expect tournament reports over the weekend.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to find room in swans for Spirebluff Canals

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

What would you be Gifts-ing for if not a big creature- Snapcaster targets and Lingering Souls? I'd rather be cheating a big creature into play.
When I was playing a more normal 4c gifts deck, it was not infrequent to go gifts for lingering souls, think twice, path, push. Just all around value. But, yeah, Iona just wins some games in a way that value doesn't.

quote:

I'm also not sure how much I like the singleton Timely Reinforcements in the main deck, seems like it might be better in the sideboard.
Last week a full half of the meta was burn, just trying to hedge against that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
OK yeah if your meta has a lot of Burn then I could see putting Reinforcements mainboard. Could you maybe clear a few sideboard slots for one each of Rites, Iona, and Norn instead?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 25, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

OK yeah if your meta has a lot of Burn then I could see putting Reinforcements mainboard. Could you maybe clear a few sideboard slots for one each of Rites, Iona, and Norn instead?

yeah, I just have to figure out where the gently caress my Iona is. Wasn't in the White box, wasn't in the foil binder. I own a Iona but oh no I 'o' know where Iona go.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I wanted to get a 2nd set of all the non-Port cards so I would have a deck to lend people/have something for my daughter to play eventually maybe for the exact same reason. Plus if WotC ever decides to do something good for once and unban Stoneforge (haha,) that card is just free money. It's just so unplayable right now, even with a splash, and the right people don't whine about the format so I don't see it ever getting better. Also nobody will take my dogecoin as payment for the cards.

About the only hope I see is the team PT coming up, and even then it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored a 28-32 DRS top 8. Or they'll ban Brainstorm or something instead.

Basically what I'm saying is ban fetches.

I'm hoping the February unban announcement has SFM, so I can swap out my blade splicers for SFM in modern.

What cards would you guys like to see unbanned? And what do you guys think it's safe to unban.

I think they're gonna unban BBE and maybe SFM, here's hoping!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
unban bloodbraid and keep SFM banned in my opinion. The meta could handle SFM but fair decks have suffered enough already

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Name a fair deck that will have a hard time beating Stoneforge. There isn't one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I see people mention BBE, SFM, and JMTS a lot, mostly the first two. I'd benefit from SFM getting unbanned and I don't think BBE would be too bad. At this point I kinda think they might do some unbans just to see what happens since those cards are mentioned so much. They update the B&R list so much now that they could give cards 3 month periods of unbanning to see if they overly warp the metagame or just shift it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I see people mention BBE, SFM, and JMTS a lot, mostly the first two. I'd benefit from SFM getting unbanned and I don't think BBE would be too bad. At this point I kinda think they might do some unbans just to see what happens since those cards are mentioned so much. They update the B&R list so much now that they could give cards 3 month periods of unbanning to see if they overly warp the metagame or just shift it.

Yeah that's what I feel as well, and I hope they see it that way as well.

I'm still on the fence about JTMS, like as a turn 4 control play, it's pretty meh unless you're really ahead, but no one is gonna play it on turn 4, but it would give control a really good finisher though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Thisuck posted:

What cards would you guys like to see unbanned? And what do you guys think it's safe to unban.

Let me play Jitte in Bogles (Wizards don't actually do this)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Name a fair deck that will have a hard time beating Stoneforge. There isn't one.

If anything fair decks get a boost from having Stoneforge around, especially white decks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also idk that current Modern control’s problem is having finishers so much as it is a lack of ways to have the right removal at the right time to answer every threat in the format

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Basically modern control needs cantrips that it can't have because modern combo is already so much better than control.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

UW Control is kind of a real deck in Modern because it can just wreck your mana

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

UW Control is kind of a real deck in Modern because it can just wreck your mana

Most or all of the UW decks at my store have moved to Jeskai and honestly I've had more trouble with my UWx matches since the shift. I lost to someone on it last FNM, and according to them having access to burn spells makes it way easier to close out games with Jeskai than straight UW. I've not piloted either deck though so I can't say for certain.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The strength of UWR has always been being a burn/tempo deck with Remands. It's not actually good at being a control deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

The strength of UWR has always been being a burn/tempo deck with Remands. It's not actually good at being a control deck.

That's because people have this weird fixation that "control" has to mean hardcore denial one step shy of Elixir of Sphinx's Rev.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

That's because people have this weird fixation that "control" has to mean hardcore denial one step shy of Elixir of Sphinx's Rev.

Those people are right :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Most or all of the UW decks at my store have moved to Jeskai and honestly I've had more trouble with my UWx matches since the shift. I lost to someone on it last FNM, and according to them having access to burn spells makes it way easier to close out games with Jeskai than straight UW. I've not piloted either deck though so I can't say for certain.

I've played with both UW and the new Secure the Wastes Jeskai build. Search for Azcanta may be the big reason these decks are coming back (even though UW was back before Search came out running Gideons.) It is not a proactive play, but it makes your late game so much better. Gearhulk can also block everything in the format besides Titans and Shadows if that is needed, and is a better clock than Snapcaster.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

please play supreme verdicts instead of those other wraths e: i know it's because you have gifts but please also do not play gifts

i hope those cowards at wizards of the coast print frantic search in a modern legal set and then don't ban it. that's my big prediction

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 26, 2018

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I want them to unban SFM so that knightfall has a good two-drop besides scavenging ooze.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

please play supreme verdicts instead of those other wraths

Listen to this guy. Supreme verdict is so much better than any other wrath against death's shadow and jeskai queller.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uninverted posted:

I want them to unban SFM so that knightfall has a good two-drop besides scavenging ooze.

Listen to this guy. Supreme verdict is so much better than any other wrath against death's shadow and jeskai queller.

I don’t think it’s any different against queller

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I've played with both UW and the new Secure the Wastes Jeskai build. Search for Azcanta may be the big reason these decks are coming back (even though UW was back before Search came out running Gideons.) It is not a proactive play, but it makes your late game so much better. Gearhulk can also block everything in the format besides Titans and Shadows if that is needed, and is a better clock than Snapcaster.

Yeah I kind of wish I had picked up an Azcanta or two right when Ixalan dropped, especially since I'm finishing up Blue Moon and starting to see it pop up in a few of those lists...

On a slightly related note, are there any cards in Modern that say a player can only cast spells on their own turn? I know Voice of Resurgence is kind of that but not exactly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I kind of wish I had picked up an Azcanta or two right when Ixalan dropped, especially since I'm finishing up Blue Moon and starting to see it pop up in a few of those lists...

On a slightly related note, are there any cards in Modern that say a player can only cast spells on their own turn? I know Voice of Resurgence is kind of that but not exactly.

Dosan and Grand Abolisher.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

teferi, dragonlord dromoka

Mezzanon posted:

I don’t think it’s any different against queller

i suspect the OP was just misremembering Spell Queller's text, but Spell Queller decks often have counterspells, so it is kinda better when have to cast it after killing their queller

anyway, search for azcanta is really, really good. i play three in legacy UW control

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
By jeskai queller I mean the tempo-oriented jeskai decks. I know you can spell queller a supreme verdict. The card is still a giant upgrade over straight Wrath against aggro-control, that one particular interaction excepted, because it's frequently going to kill a geist when your opponent held up logic knot or a gurmag angler when they held up stubborn denial.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hey thread what are your most fun to play as and play against modern decks? Any play style is fine.

I'm just getting back into this game after more than a year, since I have a new coworker and thus someone to play with without driving all over. She only plays tryhard Modern, and all my decks are (now old) Standard or hella casual. We have played ~10 games and I have lost every one. I want to stand a bit of a chance.

She's fine with me proxying cards, which is good since I don't want to spend $100s on land sets and if I didn't she'd have a huge advantage. That said, I don't want to proxy a $2000 deck and make it unfair the other direction.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Hey thread what are your most fun to play as and play against modern decks? Any play style is fine.

I'm just getting back into this game after more than a year, since I have a new coworker and thus someone to play with without driving all over. She only plays tryhard Modern, and all my decks are (now old) Standard or hella casual. We have played ~10 games and I have lost every one. I want to stand a bit of a chance.

She's fine with me proxying cards, which is good since I don't want to spend $100s on land sets and if I didn't she'd have a huge advantage. That said, I don't want to proxy a $2000 deck and make it unfair the other direction.

What deck is your friend playing? Modern is a pretty broad format with a lot of good decks. Higher priced deck in modern doesn't mean better at this point.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've slowly built out some modern decks to play with family members. Right now I've got:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Gifts Storm (which I am not allowed to play anymore :-( )
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

What would you guys build towards next?

Caveats:
- I've got most staples starting from Scars of Mirrodin, and can spend around 250 dollars.
- Currently leaning towards Reanimator (cheaper) or some variant of U/W Control (I don't have any collonades).
- Some people don't love side boarding.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm a poor who made off beat modern decks who also plays magic at work.

Decks that actually work-
Living end classic (no death's shadow missing lands and fulminator mages)
Abzan Evolution (missing lands)
WRG Hardened Allies and friend (The friend is Drana)
Soul Sisters

Wonky fun stuff

Sword Cats (only 2 of the 4 good swords and the cheap unbreakable equips)
Primal UG zendi Elves (joraga warcaller and friends with specual guest master biomancer)

Almost good.

RG werewolves (missing lands? might actually be viable cause of sometimes swinging for 20)

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

oryx posted:

I've slowly built out some modern decks to play with family members. Right now I've got:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

Caveats:
- I've got most staples starting from Scars of Mirrodin, and can spend around 250 dollars.
- Currently leaning towards Reanimator (cheaper) or some variant of U/W Control (I don't have any collonades).

Dredge. :getin:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What deck is your friend playing? Modern is a pretty broad format with a lot of good decks. Higher priced deck in modern doesn't mean better at this point.

She has a RG werewolf, a W exalted knight (splash... blue? I can't remember), and an Infect deck. She's building a merfolk deck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

oryx posted:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

Caveats:

Cheapish fun decks i have:

Soul Sisters
Blue living end
RW prison moon