Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Slice of life: lol at my coworker parroting Jesse Ventura’s statement that Chris Kyle’s lie about clocking him ruined The Body’s life and that he’s no longer able to get work because of it.

That whole episode in history is kind of amazing. It's one stupid idiot telling absurd lies about a different stupid idiot. The two idiots try race each other to the bottom of Dumbass Mountain and both lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Kaufman, fuckers!

http://deadline.com/2018/01/charlie-kaufman-adapt-direct-im-thinking-of-ending-things-film-netflix-1202268811/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Of course, Netflix is the only studio willing to fund his financial blackholes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gently caress.

YES.

Vegetable posted:

Of course, Netflix is the only studio willing to fund his financial blackholes

Well they just got me to keep my membership, so it's working.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was really surprised that not only are subscriptions up for them, they're really up. Stranger Things/Black Mirror/whatever else really seem to be doing it for people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not theirs but End of the loving World was very good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was really surprised that not only are subscriptions up for them, they're really up. Stranger Things/Black Mirror/whatever else really seem to be doing it for people.

I'm only looking forward to more Bojack and Love's final season. I never watched ST2 or the new Black Mirrors, and I've been bored by the service for a few months now. Amazon Prime's selection is just way loving better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i might finally cancel Netflix once i get around to the last 2/3 of Mudbound

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's shocking to me that none of Netflix's bad decisions affect their business in any way, it's remarkable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll cancel Netflix when they murder the office.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

(Would have started my venture into Pasolini's films with the Trilogy of Life, but they didn't have the Blu-rays)

While it's his most infamous, I'll note that it's not indicative of the rest of his filmography, in the sense that of what I've seen his other works don't feature the same violent extremism. The Decameron, for example, is an enjoyable sex-comedy. The Hawks and the Sparrows a philosophical neorealist film. His Oedipus Rex is a unique, low-budget adaptation.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if Salo is too much for you his other works don't include quite so much on-screen torture or feces.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Subject matter aside, Salo is absolutely indicative of the rest of his filmography, at least the films that aren't about saints.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

It's shocking to me that none of Netflix's bad decisions affect their business in any way, it's remarkable.

People just want to put something in their eyeballs that's relatively consistent and easily accessible.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Subject matter aside, Salo is absolutely indicative of the rest of his filmography, at least the films that aren't about saints.

Yeah, I didn't phrase it well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

While it's his most infamous, I'll note that it's not indicative of the rest of his filmography, in the sense that of what I've seen his other works don't feature the same violent extremism. The Decameron, for example, is an enjoyable sex-comedy. The Hawks and the Sparrows a philosophical neorealist film. His Oedipus Rex is a unique, low-budget adaptation.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if Salo is too much for you his other works don't include quite so much on-screen torture or feces.

The Gospel According to Saint Matthew is probably the best religious film ever made

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Gospel According to Saint Matthew is probably the best religious film ever made

The fact that there was a notable objection to it from Marxists is the most mid-60s European art scene thing ever

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The fact that there was a notable objection to it from Marxists is the most mid-60s European art scene thing ever

:ughh: I hate everyone

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The Marxists in the 60s that were analyzing films were a buncha revisionist dogs anyways

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

therattle posted:

Where did I say a nice shot can't do both? I love Children of Men; I think it's an amazing film. I just don't think that Atonement does both, because Joe Wright is an overrated hack and Alfonso Cuaron isn't. So, you think that I watch films wrongly because my views don't coincide with yours, and you read things into what I've written which just aren't there. What next?

I've just seen the text below your avatar. Quite.
So you go in with expectations and then don't engage with a movie. That you think Atonement is just flash is on you as a viewer. That you can't understand one of the biggest events in war history deserved a big shot sequence is baffling. Did you just throw your hands up when there wasn't a cut after a couple seconds? "Why isn't anyone explaining how this connects?"

My text on my avatar was given to me lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did you like the last jedi?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Atonement is a sappy bad film and deserves no further mention other than that it unearthed the cinematic gift that is Saoirse Ronan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It is according to the Vatican's official newspaper.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Pasolini is easily my favorite filmmaker ever and, yeah, The Gospel According to St. Matthew is magnificent. I think my favorite of his is still The Decameron.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kid actor Saoirse Ronan was better than most adult actors, jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_O21Lb_fI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of Joe Wright, I really like Hanna.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CelticPredator posted:

Did you like the last jedi?

It's the most excited I've been for star wars ever. Actual themes beyond good v evil, with nuanced acting.

Vegetable posted:

Atonement is a sappy bad film and deserves no further mention other than that it unearthed the cinematic gift that is Saoirse Ronan

How is a movie where a girl wrongfully accuses someone of child rape, who then is forced into the military where he dies, only for the accuser to ease their own conscious by writing a romantic version of events sappy? The end of the movie is, I successfully got away with destroying and profiting off someone's life, neat. Did you all actually watch the movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is according to the Vatican's official newspaper.

iirc the Vatican's list of good religious films is actually really solid

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Speaking of Joe Wright, I really like Hanna.

Joe Wright needs to do more stuff like that and less stuff like... everything else he's done

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
gently caress The Deer Hunter is an experience.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bows1 posted:

gently caress The Deer Hunter is an experience.

gently caress The Deer Hunter is also an experience.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
gently caress The Deer Hunter is also the name of my book full of hot takes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the Deer Hunter

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
gently caress the deer, Hunter.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vegetable posted:

Kid actor Saoirse Ronan was better than most adult actors, jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_O21Lb_fI

Man her accent is impeccable. And Nicole Kidman can't cover hers after 30 years!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

This list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican%27s_list_of_films

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/bnPGyFxJUe0
That's an impressive tracking shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://youtu.be/bnPGyFxJUe0
That's an impressive tracking shot.

The bulkiness of early sound equipment probably set back advanced camera techniques in film by a decade or more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Referenced most recently in TLJ, which I dug a lot.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Netflix seems like a massive financial scheme that will ultimately collapse in a few years, when it's revealed they've never actually been profitable. I mean, the opacity of their measurement of their own success SHOULD be ringing alarm bells for people, but everyone's just happy to let Netflix define their own value. Netflix is profitable so long as they claim to be, and people buy into that claim.
I do give Netflix props for realizing they were gonna bleed content that wasn't theirs rapidly, and in response building a gigantic engine of original production and international content acquisition.
but their user interfaces have never, ever been good. I hate that I have to be on the ball to make sure it doesn't autoplay the next episode so I can enjoy the credits in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Guess who managed to drop his Sundance tickets on the bus?

Me

It was me

I'll probably only end up missing one screening from it but god damnit

• Locked thread