Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
yeah I think re birth is the only version of 1 on vita

what the gently caress is this game why did she almost black out from being bandaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Original Rorona is better than Original Neptunia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting fed feet first into a woodchipper is better than original Neptunia though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Has anyone had an issue on their Vita of the memory card frequently being 'removed', despite not actually being removed? I'll grab my system out of my bag to play it and at least once or twice a week, it'll have booted back to the menu with that message, losing progress in a game I'm playing. Then I'll need to pull the card out and put it back in, then restart the system, to actually have it recognize the card.

Jailbreak that poo poo and put one of the SD adapters in it

Unless you're not on 3.6 in which case lol and rip

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

If you're not on 3.60 spend the $35 and get a fresh motherboard in there it is absolutely worth it just for sd2vita.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
gamestop has a giant box version of Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception for $20 what is this poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a VN where every couple of hours it makes you play an SRPG bit

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the uh 4th? best game of 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Truth maybe, Deception no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the uh 4th? best game of 2017

sorry I forget when botw and Mario oddysey came out it's 6th

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Yakuza 0 is my GOTY 2017

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Dehry posted:

One of these days I'm going to play original Atelier Rorona, original Neptunia, and Sonic 2006.

Why is the original Rorona lumped in with these piles of poo poo? I don't remember it having any glaring issues. There was one tiny exploit I remember using to regain health for party members without using time, but that was it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Megalixir posted:

Why is the original Rorona lumped in with these piles of poo poo? I don't remember it having any glaring issues. There was one tiny exploit I remember using to regain health for party members without using time, but that was it.

It's missing a bunch of QoL features compared to later games and has a number of frustrating issues. Passing on traits during item synthesis is random, rather than being able to pick the ones you want. You have to run around town constantly without any kind of fast travel system to visit NPCs if you want to build friendship with them, which is necessary for most of the game's endings. All special abilities in combat require spending HP to cast and it's pretty badly balanced (in fairness, Rorona Plus has pretty shaky balance too, but mostly in your favour, which is at least more fun).

Rorona Plus fixes all the major gameplay issues and adds a significant amount of extra content, so there's not much reason to play the original now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/956188008344182784

:allears: I love Pqube

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is one hell of a grab for controversy dollars.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ha ha! Hilarious! Sacrilege!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's so trite that it didn't even occur to me somebody wanted it to be offensive

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i don't think they're going to be that big

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes I forget that there are people religious enough to be offended by that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will never be allowed to forget, thanks america

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's less that someone will find it offensive and more that it'll act as a "edgy and not PC" dog whistle for a specific type of person. Also, it's really tacky.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*posts photo of hot anime babe eating cheeseburger*

oh im sorry, is it Good Friday? well excuuuuuuse me princess :smugdog:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Takoluka posted:

It's less that someone will find it offensive and more that it'll act as a "edgy and not PC" dog whistle for a specific type of person. Also, it's really tacky.

so it's perfect for Omega Labyrinth then

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Takoluka posted:

Also, it's really tacky.

Yeah but it's been there almost a century, it's historical now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Takoluka posted:

Everyone forgot about Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball being a symbol of gamergate already.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mycot posted:

Everyone forgot about Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball being a symbol of gamergate already.

I remember it selling like trash and everyone forgetting about it, mostly. Once people realized that "sticking it to the man" meant dropping over $100 on a bad game, they just kinda vanished.

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah but it's been there almost a century, it's historical now.

:golfclap:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Takoluka posted:

Once people realized that "sticking it to the man" meant dropping over $100 on a bad game

The 2017 version of this is the lootbox thread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I remember it selling like trash and everyone forgetting about it, mostly. Once people realized that "sticking it to the man" meant dropping over $100 on a bad game, they just kinda vanished.

Speaking of this is there seriously no way to buy the latest DOA fighting game on Vita without it being packaged with the weird minigame dating simulator? I always liked the counter system in DOA but I can't find any way to just buy the fighter.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They ended up turning DOAX3 into a Free to Play PC game and added more characters.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Speaking of this is there seriously no way to buy the latest DOA fighting game on Vita without it being packaged with the weird minigame dating simulator? I always liked the counter system in DOA but I can't find any way to just buy the fighter.

Vita has DOA5+, which might not have all the latest balance changes (if any even exist!) of DOA5LR, but it's pretty much all you've got.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Vita has DOA5+, which might not have all the latest balance changes (if any even exist!) of DOA5LR, but it's pretty much all you've got.

That's what I'm saying, Vita actually doesn't have DOA5+ on the (US) store, just a bundle of DOA5+ & DOA Paradise for fifty bucks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's what I'm saying, Vita actually doesn't have DOA5+ on the (US) store, just a bundle of DOA5+ & DOA Paradise for fifty bucks.

I guess it goes to show how unpopular the Vita was in the west but Gamestop has plenty of left over codes for things like that.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/dead-or-alive-5-plus/107771

$40 download.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ha ha, really? I didn't even know they were a bundle. I always just saw the game in the wild at GameStop.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm the guy who follows the Twitter account of a titty game company while being religious enough to be genuinely offended by that tweet.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Weaponized lesbians.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Has anyone played Ray Gigant? The screenshots of big monster fighting look really pretty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's babbies first dungeon crawler, the enemies look nice but outside of that it's visually boring and is incredibly simplistic and hand holdy.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's babbies first dungeon crawler, the enemies look nice but outside of that it's visually boring and is incredibly simplistic and hand holdy.

It's not even easy in a fun way, thanks to the implications of the following features:

* The experience system allows you to distribute various different kinds of XP freely among your party members.
* The action system gives you a limited number of action points each turn, which you can also distribute freely among your party on a turn-by-turn basis: you could have all three of your party members take one action, or for the same AP cost you could have one party member take three actions.
* You regenerate action points faster if you have some of your party members take no action for a turn.
* Two of your party members at any given point in the game are obviously temporary characters; they're generally weaker than whoever your main character is in that chapter of the game, and any XP spent on them is wasted in the long run
* Your permanent party members don't all come together into a single party until literally the final dungeon, which is also the point where you get a useful degree of access to a game mechanic that lets you bypass the AP system and have all your characters take actions without stepping on each other's toes. (You can technically access this mechanic earlier, but only under specific circumstances that you usually want to avoid).

The upshot of all this is for most of the game, the mechanics encourage you to pump all your experience into one character and have them take all the actions while the other two sit around doing nothing.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 25, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really really like that AP system as an idea, tho I guess the game doesn't quite get it right with balancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
what is omega labyrinth