Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also throw Daitarn 3 in one of these hypothetical OYW SRW's so Amuro and Banjo could do a combination attack involving their respective Hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Would Banpresto have the restraint to use Amuro without the Nu Gundam?
Restraint, a feature SRW has always been known for.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That would actually be the perfect time to include Getter Robo Go. It's still a Super Robot, but in a world where the RX-78-2 is practically The Ideon. Towards the end of the game, The Getter Team breaks the seal on a frighteningly powerful prototype: The regular-rear end Getter.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Restraint, a feature SRW has always been known for.

I'm always excited to see FMP because it means more Bonta-Kun.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

here's my 0079-compatible series list

0080 War In the Pocket
08th MS Team
Ironblooded Orphans
Code Geass Season 1
VOTOMs
Front Mission
Dai-Guard
Patlabor
The Big O
Gasaraki
Dorvack
Tetsujin No. 28
Giant Robo
Girls und Panzer

Dougram would also work I think? Good luck fitting that plot into a mainline though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If we're going for a 0079 compatible series list, I'd probably stick with other 70's era robot shows.

The frightening thing about the Gundam in that context wouldn't just be that it's a particularly mighty robot (although, where it not for SRW conventions the original MSG probably could be given super robot stats while being faithful to the show) but that, unlike all the other super robots that are controlled by various benevolent science fortresses, this super robot is controlled by the government!

I'd emphasize how it represented the end of an era.

Onmi posted:

SRW The Origin should have a strength level comparable to SRW OG1. Where the Grungust was this big, hulking, untouchable machine, and the SRX was held together by spit, prayers and duct tape.

I still consider OG1 the greatest of the OG games.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 25, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Do a trilogy where the og characters are a family through three generations, with The first game being OYW, the second being Mid-UC and the last being Late-UC (and all the series and timeskips that fits with those).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So you're saying you want more AGE in SRW?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Give me a game with AGE part 3, Crossbone and G-Reco for Maximum Pirate.

And 0083, too, I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I unironically want to see the entire AGE story adapted in SRW. Work that magic that helped Destiny on it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The way I see it, it's not that "Robots more powerful than the Gundam can't exist." You can make a Mazinger, and you can even have the Mazinger Army, but making a horde of mass produced beam rifle shooting robots to say... fight back against Zeon's Zaku II's is NOT an option. Not to mention you get the usual "Don't you know we're in a war?" "Don't you know we're being attacked from Dinosaurs from beneath the magma layer? Also we're not Government funded."

And you get that wonderful crossover stuff, Zeon fighting Doctor Hell in Africa to keep a hold on Odessa which is the location of some Super Robot project. A big old "Earth is really being hosed right now." situation. And that's what makes the Gundam special, or the Dragonar's. It's not that the Federation has a mobile suit to replace the Guntank and Guncannon, it's not even that it necessarily has a battleship class weapon that can operate in any climate. It's the federation rising and growing to the threat that's before it. It's one of those things that, if anything else, demands something like the Titan's emerge "We went through a blood war where Aliens, Zeon, and monsters emerged to kill us all, we were not prepared, that cannot happen again."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've mentioned in these threads before my thoughts on a OYW focused SRW concept, and I'll probably talk about them again later when I'm not posting from the app

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope we get to save Instructor Dellensen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was the new breaker game announced to be a worldwide release?

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think so, there was an english trailer i believe.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Bandai Namco SEA posted some stuff on magic customization.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoSEA/status/956469247227527169

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It's still called the Factory? Not, like, the Mystic Forge or the Arcane Armory?

Edit: In regards to the OYW in SRW: Gimme dat Mudrock, son.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 25, 2018

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Even wizards have to modernize.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

HitTheTargets posted:

It's still called the Factory? Not, like, the Mystic Forge or the Arcane Armory?

Menu is tagged as Magic Customize, so I'm guessing they used V's term to make the correlation simpler.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Looks like the fourth Magic level is the same as the third TAC level from V, the one that gives bonuses to any unit that collects 3 ExC. Only, "Critical Boost" (which was a damage buff, despite the name) has been replaced by Range Boost.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Article about these systems.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, and Ex stuff is back. Information about it will be up next month.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I'm so glad Sal Romano is staying on top of this stuff. Thanks for the link!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't see IBO working with Original Gundam. It doesn't have beam weapons but only because the Gundams are so advanced they literally ignore beam weapons existing, plus it relies on a OYW-style war that blew up the moon being a part of the past.

I'd say that the power thing isn't too much of an issue. We got halfway into the second season before we found out how screwed anyone who relied on beams would be against IBO grunts, and removing that information wouldn't destroy the setting.

A much bigger issue is that IBO is a setting where giant robots are a known technology. They've been a part of military strategy for centuries, and that's an important part of their treatment in the setting. People figure they know their uses and their limits, which makes Tekkadan come as a bolt from the blue. OYW, everybody's still trying to figure out what the gently caress. They don't have a default to be undermined.

It's also got the thing where Gjallarhorn is used to pushing people around, and wholly unused to full on war, so you can't really fit them into an existing war without skipping ahead to the second season and Rustal. And even beyond that, they've got an issue where they're not great as later game antagonists they're... kind of not terrible enough? Sure, personally Izanio and Iok are hateful pieces of poo poo, but nobody in Gjallarhorn is building a doom laser to wipe out humanity. If Zeon wins, billions more will die. If Gamilas wins, humanity goes extinct. If Gjallarhorn wins... then the lovely status quo stays lovely.

It's a fine conflict on its own, but it feels less urgent in comparison.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a list anywhere of precisely which Mazinger movies have been featured in SRW over the years? Even Akurasu just vaguely says "Mazinger movie series" for some series list pages.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 26, 2018

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Raxivace posted:

Is there a list anywhere of precisely which Mazinger movies have been featured in SRW over the years? Even Akurasu just vaguely says "Mazinger movie series" for some series list pages.

Well, Gilgilgan is from Great vs Getter, Pikadron is from Great vs Getter G, I know MX used Grendizer vs Great, since that featured Kouji getting brainwashed and one of the generals from Grendizer piloting Great, and Grendizer, Getter G and Great had Dragonsaurus and was the originator of the Final Dynamic Special IIRC. If you want which ones appear in which SRW, I've got nothing, save all of them being in MX.

Edit: Strange idea, but perhaps using pictures instead of vague descriptions would be a good idea, me.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 26, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Inferno-sama posted:

Well, Gilgilgan is from Great vs Getter, Pikadron is from Great vs Getter G, I know MX used Grendizer vs Great, since that featured Kouji getting brainwashed and one of the generals from Grendizer piloting Great, and Grendizer, Getter G and Great had Dragonsaurus and was the originator of the Final Dynamic Special IIRC. If you want which ones appear in which SRW, I've got nothing, save all of them being in MX.

Edit: Strange idea, but perhaps using pictures instead of vague descriptions would be a good idea, me.
This is actually pretty helpful, thank you. :)

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t think I’m gonna get the special soundtrack edition of X. In the end I have special feelings about the synth versions of the music and think the vocals clash with the lines and stuff of combat animations.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Raxivace posted:

This is actually pretty helpful, thanks you. :)

No problem. The only ones that haven't been used are Mazinger Z vs Devilman (and it's the old anime Devilman, so it's only got the amazing theme song to its name) and Infinity, which is new... Unless the final episodes of Mazinger Z and Z vs GGD are drastically different, in which case that might not have been covered. But if Gilgilgan, Pikadron, brainwashed Kouji and Dragonsaurus appear, at least you'll know which ones they come from.

Edit: Also, with regards to OYW, I'm down for some OYW side stories, like Space Beyond the Flash (or Blaze, I've seen both) and Blue Destiny.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 26, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Inferno-sama posted:

No problem. The only ones that haven't been used are Mazinger Z vs Devilman (and it's the old anime Devilman, so it's only got the amazing theme song to its name) and Infinity, which is new... Unless the final episodes of Mazinger Z and Z vs GGD are drastically different, in which case that might not have been covered. But if Gilgilgan, Pikadron, brainwashed Kouji and Dragonsaurus appear, at least you'll know which ones they come from.

Edit: Also, with regards to OYW, I'm down for some OYW side stories, like Space Beyond the Flash (or Blaze, I've seen both) and Blue Destiny.

I'd love for those side stories to get to show themselves off. I loved that aspect of the Gihren's Greed games, I loved that dumb animated intro Journey to Jaburo had basically the side story characters and Amuro like a more modern Gundam Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpW6AJTnqT8

Like I'm kinda sad about The Origin because for the longest time all I've really wanted them to do is go back and do this like Megastory for UC, it's like an anime covering the whole OYW and the various teams and protagonists involved and following those dudes through history and really just like... Well to explain I'm a huge fan of Zoids, and the Battle Story for Zoids (Which I so want to see in SRW) is like... really surprisingly good Sci-Fi fiction attached to this toy line with this expanded timeline and all these cool things and I know it probably wouldn't work as an anime. But seeing all these aces and their trials and tribulations and the stories it's all I ever wanted.

So yeah my 3 SRW wants

SRW - The Origin. An SRW where the RX-78-2 is treated as a big loving deal and the only gundam representation is OYW stories and all the mecha are picked in such a way to give me the same feelings I got with OG1 which I love so much.

SRW - The Sports Anime. So it's G Gundam and Zoids: New Century Zero/Fuzors and Basquash and Iron Leaguer and IGPX Immortal Grand Prix
and ya know, any anime about robot tournaments/competitions. Smash em all together, use G-Gundam as the overall basis (Winner rules earth) and you got Team Neo Japan as the protagonists or whatever, and the bad guy is the rich kids team with all the training and facilities or some poo poo I dunno.

SRW - The Zoids one. Just a game that really makes use of Zoids whole "Planet Zi" scenario and... I mean I guess this has been done in both Alpha Gaiden and Z, it's SRW "There's a lot of desert" basically.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2018

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Onmi posted:

SRW - The Origin. An SRW where the RX-78-2 is treated as a big loving deal and the only gundam representation is OYW stories and all the mecha are picked in such a way to give me the same feelings I got with OG1 which I love so much.

I can definitely see something with this. We've got a Super or two before we go to Side 7 (I'd say Getter, since it can go space) but at first it's the Getter and the Gundam as the main power guys, but with Getter not being as energy efficient as the Gundam to give it more importance. Outside of the Ground types, we don't get another Gundam type until Jaburo (either as a secret or as part of Space Beyond the Blaze/Flash), which isn't that long before we meet the Gelgoog, which at worst is equal to the Gundam. We got a few Supers and Mazinger can fly by now, but the Gundam is much easier to mass produce and, of course, Amuro has newtype hax.

Edit: Nothing to say about the others, because sadly I don't know enough mecha anime that'd fit the setting... I mean, unless we can make Zoids and Xabungle work in the same setting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

SRW - The Sports Anime. So it's G Gundam and Zoids: New Century Zero/Fuzors and Basquash and Iron Leaguer and IGPX Immortal Grand Prix
and ya know, any anime about robot tournaments/competitions. Smash em all together, use G-Gundam as the overall basis (Winner rules earth) and you got Team Neo Japan as the protagonists or whatever, and the bad guy is the rich kids team with all the training and facilities or some poo poo I dunno.
girls. und. panzer.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Inferno-sama posted:

I can definitely see something with this. We've got a Super or two before we go to Side 7 (I'd say Getter, since it can go space) but at first it's the Getter and the Gundam as the main power guys, but with Getter not being as energy efficient as the Gundam to give it more importance. Outside of the Ground types, we don't get another Gundam type until Jaburo (either as a secret or as part of Space Beyond the Blaze/Flash), which isn't that long before we meet the Gelgoog, which at worst is equal to the Gundam. We got a few Supers and Mazinger can fly by now, but the Gundam is much easier to mass produce and, of course, Amuro has newtype hax.

Edit: Nothing to say about the others, because sadly I don't know enough mecha anime that'd fit the setting... I mean, unless we can make Zoids and Xabungle work in the same setting.

Oh, that's interesting; there are two ways you could set up the Gundam's importance in the One Year War. Now, in either case it's essentially a real robot that punches above its weight class with a high-power beam rifle and Lunar Titanium armor. Your first option is to lean into the mass-production angle, with the G3 and Alex and some version of Full Armor Gundam. The second option is to keep it as a super prototype, on par with Mazinger, where even the custom GMs from Blue Destiny and Feddie Hooligans/Katana can't come close to Gundam's power despite being based on it. You can emphasize the Gundam's role as a powerful new technological advancement or its role as a singularly untouched force multiplier.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZuMjCCGZg

Robots

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

RYUUUJINMARUUU

For real though I wasn't expecting an SRW F style anime cutscene. It seems oddly fitting for Wataru.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Make Lunar Titanium like a barrier, it reduces non beam damage by 1000 or something to make it really tanky against pretty much everything until Gelgoogs show up. Another option is just making it a slightly dodgy Super (basically Raideen/Getter Dragon in MX?) with predominantly ranged attacks with the game paced as such that Amuro will hit the significant Newtype levels to get the evasion boost when the big boys show up. Z2 showed that even basic Mazinger can seem apocalyptically powerful with the right animations and I think the RX-78-2 would be no different. OG1 power level but with actual series would be rad, where even your most garbage reals are pretty tanky and Amuro in a Core Fighter and Kouji in a TFO are your best units.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If we're doing the OYW again bring Limit back. :twisted:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway the video reveals that Wataru and Shou have been around long enough to know each other, though Shou is in Dunbine and Wataru is pre-Ryujinmaru.

It also reveals a new ExC3 Action, I'm guessing called Trick Attack (or Tricky Attack), which, from what I can suss out, lets you ignore EN, ammo, and morale for one attack.

I just really want to see some originals but I'm guessing that's next month.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

BTW Hokuto, the Inspector anime ain't great. But it does feature my favorite OG character moment of all time: Katina eating a whole roast chicken on one fork.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 26, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

BTW Hokuto, the Inspector anime ain't great. But it does feature my favorite OG character moment of all time: Katina eating a whole roast chicken on one fork.

Okay that's pretty good. It's a thing I want to watch for sure, but not high-priority since I'm group-watching like 3 other things right now and this isn't the kind of thing I can group-watch due to the ridiculous pacing and outside knowledge required for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I remember Inspector as a whirlwind of high profile battles and events with just enough talking in between to serve as connective tissue, with a final episode that was essentially just a showcase of every final and combo attack they could be assed to animate in 20 minutes.

• Locked thread