Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I still can't handle it when you two post right after the other :psyduck:

It's a relevant point though, Yorr/Quick/Inq I expect will be quite in vogue, there's has been a lot of imp ace players out there waiting for the Sign of the return, and I expect there to be quite a few kicking around. Australian meta especially skews pretty heavy Imperials. Our war gamers have a fascist streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

I still can't handle it when you two post right after the other :psyduck:

It's a relevant point though, Yorr/Quick/Inq I expect will be quite in vogue, there's has been a lot of imp ace players out there waiting for the Sign of the return, and I expect there to be quite a few kicking around. Australian meta especially skews pretty heavy Imperials. Our war gamers have a fascist streak.

Yep. So many imp players and more are coming out of the woodwork since gunboats came out.

I do like that the availability of beer or the location of the closest pub are also key factors in any large tournament.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Going deep down a rabbit hole making alt art cards. A friend of mine I play with is a professional printer and is going to print up cards for me to hand out at Aussie regionals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (32)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
•R7-T1 (3)

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (55)
Tactical Jammers (1)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
•R2-D2 (4)

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Squadron Pilot (13)
Guidance Chips (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)

Total: 100/100

Doing some adjustments; is getting Gunner worth losing R2-D2, and would going down to an R2 on Dutch and dropping the Tracers to get CM on Chewie a good idea?

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (31)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (56)
Tactical Jammers (1)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
Gunner (5)

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Squadron Pilot (13)
Guidance Chips (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Have you considered Rex instead of the Bandit? Could do it easily by switching to a different mech on Duch.

Gunner instead of R2 depends on if you want to be a little tankier or more offensive.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did forget about Rex!

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (27)
BTL-A4 Y-wing (0)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (58)
Counter-Measures (3)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
Gunner (5)

TIE Fighter: •Captain Rex (15)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 25, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

I know that all to well. I always offer to switch to a newbie list, they always say no and I end up feeling bad 15 min later.

I taught one of my autistic clients how to talk trash during games to help him interact socially with everyone. He looooves doing it. However it has led to people accidentally smashing him in games because he is really friggin good at talking poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I taught one of my autistic clients how to talk trash during games to help him interact socially with everyone. He looooves doing it. However it has led to people accidentally smashing him in games because he is really friggin good at talking poo poo.

This is one of the funniest things I ever read, especially because I'm picturing a gigantic hammer involved like that screenshot up above.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Raged posted:

Pretty sure I am going to run this at regionals in a couple of weeks. Played around with it a few weeks ago and got to watch Travis Foss run it last weekend and have run some more games with it. It's pretty much the Alpha of Alphas. Nym/Miranda will just vanish, gunboats go straight to hell and RAC if everything goes right can go down in 1 turn. Kylo himself is a challenge though. Tempted to run Kong's Ion Dong list, but I won't have time to practice it

Really wish I could run Dengar/Assaj, but even when everything goes right it bleeds MOV all over the place.

Captain Jostero (24)
Deadeye (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Contraband Cybernetics (1)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Vaksai (0)

Captain Nym (Scum) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
"Genius" (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Havoc (0)

Torani Kulda (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
R5-TK (0)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Any reason for the R5-TK or is it just there because it's free?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Actually what use case does R5-TK have in general?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a really fringe case but I can imagine you could harpoon Nym so he becomes a literal suicide bomber that deals extra damage.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

Any reason for the R5-TK or is it just there because it's free?

It's free and for the one in a million shot.

Say one of your ships with a harpoon token is at r1 to an enemy ship with 1 hull. Another of your ships is out of range to the enemy ship but just in range to the friendly. Drop a TL and try to cause a crit and go for one of the stupidest wins in X-Wing history.

Really though it's free. If it ever was useful I would probably have a heart attack

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Shooting your own guy to blow him up to splash damage someone else to trigger Captain Jostero would be amazing.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Also, Dead Man's Switch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

uncle blog posted:

Also, Dead Man's Switch.

Cartel Brute (22)
Extra Munitions (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
R5-TK (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Enforcer (1)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Total: 99

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

If you could somehow get them down to one hull first, you could trigger a glorius chain reaction. And lose most of your list. And the game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Let's talk about measuring range for "may" abilities.

Example, Kanan Jarrus's ability reads:
"When an enemy ship at Range 1-2 is attacking, you may spend a focus token. If you do, the attacker rolls 1 fewer attack die."

FAQ reads, on measuring:
"Players may only measure range and/or use the range ruler to determine whether a ship is inside or outside of a firing arc at the following times:
[...]
When a player declares a ship’s ability that requires another ship (or ships) to be at a certain range, the player trying to resolve the ability can measure range from their ship to any valid ships before resolving the ability."

OK, a ship near Kanan declares a different ship a target of their attack, and the Kanan player is considering spending a focus to use his ability.
If the Kanan player declares that he is measuring for the ability and the condition is met (within range 2), is the Kanan player committed at that point to spend the focus and use the ability, or can they elect to NOT spend the focus?

My thought is that per the first clause, you're measuring to see if it's even possible. Then you have an optional MAY ability, which you can choose to pay the cost of or not. Correct?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Iirc it’s like target lock where if you can, you must, but I’m not 100% on that

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Basically, triggering Harpoons, triggering Dead Man's Switches, splashing damage with Assault missiles or Jam tokens with Scrambler MIssiles. A few other vanishingly rare cases like shooting your own Thweek who's copied Quickdraw's ability to get him the free attack, triggering Toarni's ability against a ship you're bumped into, etc.

There are a bunch of edge-case uses but nothing particularly amazing, which is what you'd expect from a 0 point card.

Unlike, say, Genius, which is worth WAY more than 0 points on named Scurrgs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Played a few people with my scum list and they were surprised I did not have bomblet gen. One day when they face a palp list they will learn true pain as he palps a miss on every bomblet that is in r1.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Looking at the FAQ, it doesn't appear to be that straightforward here. There's language in the target lock section that explicitly says that if the target is in range, you must lock it. Case closed there.

The "may" language on abilities like Kanan, Lone Wolf, Rebel Fenn, scum pilot Boba Fett, and Flight Assist Astromech makes me think that once you've determined that an ability is possible, you still have the option of electing to do or not do the things that follow after "may".

Probably needs to be added to the "shutup, nerd" document.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Second week of the league I’m in at my local game store - it has achievements so I decided to go with attempting the following
[X] fly 4 or more of the same ship
[X] fly a list with no upgrades
[] win with a list less than 90 points
[] Win with a list where each ship has two or fewer upgrades

My list was two Alpha Squad Interceptors and 4 Academy TIEs. I almost won against QuickDraw and 3 Harpoon Gunboats. Went to time and in the end I destroyed 1 Gunboat, had two Gunboats to either 1 or two health, and QuickDraw was down to two health. I lost 2 TIEs and 1 interceptor for an MoV difference of 22.

It was a blast and it helped me realize that a swarm can really take on Gunboat list if you close the distance quickly as possible. Focused fire helped and there were two times my opponent fired his harpoons and wiped out my ship - therefore it didn’t trigger harpoon condition. It was decided that if we had one more round it would have possibly led to a win for me.

I might keep using the list because it’s fun as hell to fly and see people trying to escape from TIEs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Ringo Star Get posted:

[] win with a list less than 90 points

This one is easy if you are playing to a time limit

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 86

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Raged posted:

This one is easy if you are playing to a time limit

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 86

What about this?

Darth Vader (29)
Lone Wolf (2)
Sensor Jammer (0)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x1 (0)

Push the Limit (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 81

Bear Is Driving
Mar 30, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I had this come up in a game at the Chicago regional with Flight Assist Astro. It was ruled that you can check range/arc, and you can choose not to boost/b-roll if you want.

It was funny though, my opponent (who was flying Kanan/Fenn) is the one who called the judge over about it. That guy put on a master class in how to slow-play.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Buddy of mine dropped off my first batch of handout alt art cards

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

canyoneer posted:

Let's talk about measuring range for "may" abilities.

Example, Kanan Jarrus's ability reads:
"When an enemy ship at Range 1-2 is attacking, you may spend a focus token. If you do, the attacker rolls 1 fewer attack die."

FAQ reads, on measuring:
"Players may only measure range and/or use the range ruler to determine whether a ship is inside or outside of a firing arc at the following times:
[...]
When a player declares a ship’s ability that requires another ship (or ships) to be at a certain range, the player trying to resolve the ability can measure range from their ship to any valid ships before resolving the ability."

OK, a ship near Kanan declares a different ship a target of their attack, and the Kanan player is considering spending a focus to use his ability.
If the Kanan player declares that he is measuring for the ability and the condition is met (within range 2), is the Kanan player committed at that point to spend the focus and use the ability, or can they elect to NOT spend the focus?

My thought is that per the first clause, you're measuring to see if it's even possible. Then you have an optional MAY ability, which you can choose to pay the cost of or not. Correct?

I don't see that there's any ambiguity here. You need to check to see if they're actually in range one or two, then, you *may* spend a focus token. Checking to see if they're in range doesn't then obligate you to spend your focus token.

Sure, you wind up being able to gather information you wouldn't have had before, but oh well. No different than 'checking for target lock' when the opponent ship is clearly out of range, but now you have a much better idea of *how much* out of range.

I do wonder if the wording was originally intended to be 'When an enemy ship of range 1-2 is attacking *you*' though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It's almost as if FFG didn't think through the wording entirely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

So, my girlfriend, who has whooped my butt, came with me to game night on Wednesday. She rolled 5 evades on 6 green dice in her first game against a real competent opponent. I think she's got potential!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Six greens? That's Whisper, Soontir + Stealth Device, or possibly some other 3-green ship with Stealth Device.

At range 3. Through a rock.

That's the kind of shot you only take if you literally have no one else in arc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ConfusedUs posted:

Six greens? That's Whisper, Soontir + Stealth Device, or possibly some other 3-green ship with Stealth Device.

At range 3. Through a rock.

That's the kind of shot you only take if you literally have no one else in arc.

It was whisper r3 through a rock, and yes, she did manage to get only whisper in arc, while O'Leader and Pure Sabacc blew poo poo up. She's doing real good,

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Can your girlfriend Talk to my wife about how this is a fun game to play and not a waste of money, thanks in advance.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I've gone 3-0 twice in the last week, once with Kanan & Fenn and once with Lothal & Fenn. Regional is tomorrow and I'm not sure which one I'd rather run:

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
Phantom (0)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Ezra Bridger (3)
Maul (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Ghost (0)

Total: 99

OR

Ezra Bridger (20)
Selflessness (1)
"Chopper" (0)
Phantom (0)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Rey (2)
Maul (3)
Ghost (0)

Total: 100

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You're aware that Maul can't be used on both TLT shots, right, due to the new FAQ on the timing of "after attacking" effects?

So you could re-roll one of the two TLT shots, but you wouldn't remove the stress for hitting until after both.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yep, but with Ezra that usually doesn't matter. Assuming average rolls on TLT 1: Hit Focus Blank. Reroll the Blank, take 1 stress. It rerolls blank. Turn Focus to a crit with Ezra. It hits 1 agi ships, it probably hits 2 agi ships, it maybe hits 3 agi ships. TLT 2, well I'm already stressed so I can't Maul, but again assuming average rolls: Hit Focus Blank = Hit Crit Blank with Ezra, so same deal.

Remove stress if one of the TLTs hit

End of Combat TLTs and do it all over again.

Edit: How does Maul's stress and Latts interact? I TLT Asajj, take a stress to reroll a die. Asajj rolls defense, uses Latts to add an evade by removing one of my stress. Can I use Maul on the next TLT since I'm not stressed?

canyonero fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 26, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Yep, but with Ezra that usually doesn't matter. Assuming average rolls on TLT 1: Hit Focus Blank. Reroll the Blank, take 1 stress. It rerolls blank. Turn Focus to a crit with Ezra. It hits 1 agi ships, it probably hits 2 agi ships, it maybe hits 3 agi ships. TLT 2, well I'm already stressed so I can't Maul, but again assuming average rolls: Hit Focus Blank = Hit Crit Blank with Ezra, so same deal.

Remove stress if one of the TLTs hit

End of Combat TLTs and do it all over again.

Fair!

What's the thought on Selflessness on the Ezra shuttle? Do you find yourself popping it out early to eat some damage for the rest of the list?

If not, why not do Zeb + Ezra crew. Same points, and at least it could potentially help the shuttle if it were to be the last guy on the board.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Literally never once used Selflessness because I'm too dense to ever remember to use the Shuttle as a meat shield.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Edit: How does Maul's stress and Latts interact? I TLT Asajj, take a stress to reroll a die. Asajj rolls defense, uses Latts to add an evade by removing one of my stress. Can I use Maul on the next TLT since I'm not stressed?

As long as you're not stressed when you roll reds, you can use Maul. If Latts ate it, great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

Shooting your own guy to blow him up to splash damage someone else to trigger Captain Jostero would be amazing.

This is also the other thing I was thinking. The 1/million possibilities are pretty neat.

Also the Nym bomber looks cool enough for a repaint. I'm thinking you could play with perspective and blocky cube art for the thing

• Locked thread