Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

turn off the TV posted:

Apparently this was incorrect, it's specifically when enemies are in that range it will be active, but nobody knew that it wasn't working correctly because nobody knew what it was supposed to actually do.

Yeah, it is pretty impressive how bad the tooltips are in this game considering how much information there is that needs to be conveyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well Settra lost his entire stack except for Snowball and one unit of chariots vs savage orcs... and the power bar was still half in my favour. True to form, Settra and the kitten killed the entire orc melee line while the chariots fought archers.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Do Realm of the Souls Ushabti just not show up sometimes for y'all? I've found them really unreliable. Realm of Souls in general is really underwhelming.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Panfilo posted:

Be sure to mouse over their weapon strength to get the exact numbers. A unit with armor piercing icon just means it does more ap damage than regular, but the exact amount varies across different units. Some units aren't described as armor piercing but get a respectable amount regardless, just not more than their regular damage.

Same thing with anti large or anti infantry. The bonus can vary a lot; there's a big difference between +5 dmg vs large and +50.

Ahhh, I almost forgot this was a Total War game. poo poo is just not going to make sense sometimes.

Thanks again!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah iirc one big one is eternal guard who are just about 50/50 normal/AP and thus do a surprising amount of damage to high tier units

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

turn off the TV posted:

Apparently this was incorrect, it's specifically when enemies are in that range it will be active, but nobody knew that it wasn't working correctly because nobody knew what it was supposed to actually do.

Maybe it's the hidden ranged accuracy stat?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

peer posted:

I think the only units with this keyword but no bonus are cavalry (and maybe monsters or chariots) in which case it refers to their extra mass, charge impact and disruption

Nehekhara Warriors also have the anti-infantry keyword, for no discernible reason. Come to think of it, that unit would make a lot more sense if it had an anti-infantry bonus.

Speaking of Lord testing, I am in the midst of running Khalida against every meaningful Lord in the game, to try to figure out why she seems so underwhelming to me. I'll post my findings when they're ready, but I've noticed an interesting behavior up-front: Khalida's snake mount has a very short wind-up for its charge, and its AI is quite good about disengaging right to the edge of its charge bonus range and then making a short dash back in. Some lords don't even get their attacks in because the fuckin' snake is literally circle-strafing around them until Khalida is ready to charge, at which point they get smashed about 20' away and knocked on their rear end, recovering just in time to get snaked in the face again. Khalida on foot will get destroyed by a standard naked Vampire Count, but with her snake she wins literally without being hit. Spellcasting lords like Mannfred can't even get their magic off, because the wind-up time for casting a spell is just long enough that she can charge you again and knock you down.

This advantage vanishes against mounted or monstrous lords, and fights that were completely one-sided become very close indeed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just started an Empire campaign for the first time and it's incredibly fun. I wasn't expecting to be impressed coming from playing through DE, HE, and Lizardmen campaigns, but I sure am. Gelt's starting units are not that great statwise, but they're super fun. Your tier 1 infantry provides a reasonable line, if weaker than I'm used to from TW2 units. He also gets to start with 1 artillery, 1 archer, and 1 ranged cav. So you're initial battles have lots of moving parts and you get to play around with lots of different strategies.

One of the major weaknesses of most of the campaign starts, TK especially, is that you don't get to start with fun units, and by the time you can recruit them, the campaign is almost over. Empire gets fun units right from the get go. I can hardly wait to play more.

Greatswords are also suprisingly killy. After being disappointed by witch-elves, swordmasters, and slayers I wasn't expecting much from them but they've been almost as effective as the mortar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kestral posted:

Nehekhara Warriors also have the anti-infantry keyword, for no discernible reason. Come to think of it, that unit would make a lot more sense if it had an anti-infantry bonus.

I think the idea is that it has a much better time fighting infantry than, say, any other skellington. It's still poo poo, of course, but it's relatively less bad at infantry than the others.

LLSix posted:

I just started an Empire campaign for the first time and it's incredibly fun. I wasn't expecting to be impressed coming from playing through DE, HE, and Lizardmen campaigns, but I sure am. Gelt's starting units are not that great statwise, but they're super fun. Your tier 1 infantry provides a reasonable line, if weaker than I'm used to from TW2 units. He also gets to start with 1 artillery, 1 archer, and 1 ranged cav. So you're initial battles have lots of moving parts and you get to play around with lots of different strategies.

One of the major weaknesses of most of the campaign starts, TK especially, is that you don't get to start with fun units, and by the time you can recruit them, the campaign is almost over. Empire gets fun units right from the get go. I can hardly wait to play more.

Greatswords are also suprisingly killy. After being disappointed by witch-elves, swordmasters, and slayers I wasn't expecting much from them but they've been almost as effective as the mortar.

This is a major problem, I think, with how Empire settlements all require you to build walls or else they'll be instantly lost. I really think they should get the Bretonnian treatment and have walls built into the settlement upgrade.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
After some playing, I've determined that the Tomb Kings suck. I like the mechanics of the books of Nagash, built items, basically everything about the campaign but the army itself and the way you build it up sucks. Their base units are just utter poo poo and somehow even worse on auto-resolve so you end up fighting a lot of tedious battles. I'm glad they're in the game as variety for me to fight as other factions but playing them right now is a boring chore. Limiting the amount of units I can put in armies using building seems ok at first until you realize how much you actually have to conquer and build with rather anemic income using boring stacks of chaff. Vampires were my favorite army by far in the first game, so I don't mind the undead mechanics but at least their chaff eventually becomes useful and unlocking their mid-tier stuff really makes your armies interesting. Tomb Kings have really neat high-level poo poo that you're only going to see and use a limited amount unless you really slog through a lot of tedious bullshit.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Most factions are way cooler if you lower the required settlement level for recruitment buildings. This is 10x truer with TK.

TK armies are so boring until level 3 and then just okay until 4.

I feel theres more creativity that could have been shown with the unit caps as well

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like the changes that SFO is going to use for the TK, differentiating them from the VC by making their basic skeleton infantry significantly more skilled and with higher morale, but with lovely old weapons that have been rusting for centuries.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SickZip posted:

Most factions are way cooler if you lower the required settlement level for recruitment buildings. This is 10x truer with TK.

TK armies are so boring until level 3 and then just okay until 4.

I feel theres more creativity that could have been shown with the unit caps as well

More importantly, I never felt like I had to make a choice between "build up for a few good T4/T5 units or build out for more T2/3 units. I basically used all T2-3 units until I got Ushabti (who I know are T3) and by the time I had a T4 building, I had enough Necrotects/techs/etc that my one main army could really snowball and just kit out a construct deathball.

TK's growth is so limiting that you can't really chose to have a single huge monster with a horde of low-level stuff (besides your starting units) so you just putter around on chariots and hopefully TG before you unleash a tide of constructs. Its a really interesting recruit system and I like the idea behind it, I just think it needs some tweaks. Also, they suffer hard from the fact that your T2/3 stuff is massively obsoleted. Empire armies always need halberdiers, crossbows, guns, and greatswords with some support high-tier units, but by the end of the game I had 3+ armies with all Ushabti of both types backed by whatever mix of the T5 monsters I wanted. Not a single skeleton around besides the Lords and Heroes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I feel like this is the biggest problem with the game regardless of faction. By the time you get beyond tier 1 infantry you might as auto resolve most of your fights.

I play on Very Hard, so just increasing the difficulty isn't enough.

Most mods for this issue seem to just make the early game more of a slog.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did they reduce the money you get from sea trash by 70% for just tomb kings or every faction? skull island gave 3000g instead of 10,000g from last patch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
One possible solution is to rebels rebalance red skills for low tier units, especially the more underpowered ones. Distribute out the Stacking bonuses so it takes a good while to get all of them, but ultimately keeps those low tier units relevant long term.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like this is the biggest problem with the game regardless of faction. By the time you get beyond tier 1 infantry you might as auto resolve most of your fights.

This is mostly because the AI does dumb stuff with it's stacks on the strategic map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KPC_Mammon posted:

:ironicat:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I know I'm not good at TW games, but I've beaten every single campaign on normal and usually at least have fun. I am having 0 fun with TK. Not being able to recruit anything but units that exist only to die and give a loving worthless regen effect isn't clicking. Savage orc boar boys explode through my braced spears to obliterate my archers before they can do any work, warbosses beat Settra to death in the blink of an eye, chariots get stuck in even against moving crypt ghouls which don't even form ranks. I love everything about the aesthetics and the idea of this army, but I cannot loving play it more than 25 turns before it's game over for me. Does anyone have any advice beyond "I play on very hard and beat it already with every LL so git gud"?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

More importantly, I never felt like I had to make a choice between "build up for a few good T4/T5 units or build out for more T2/3 units. I basically used all T2-3 units until I got Ushabti (who I know are T3) and by the time I had a T4 building, I had enough Necrotects/techs/etc that my one main army could really snowball and just kit out a construct deathball.

TK's growth is so limiting that you can't really chose to have a single huge monster with a horde of low-level stuff (besides your starting units) so you just putter around on chariots and hopefully TG before you unleash a tide of constructs. Its a really interesting recruit system and I like the idea behind it, I just think it needs some tweaks. Also, they suffer hard from the fact that your T2/3 stuff is massively obsoleted. Empire armies always need halberdiers, crossbows, guns, and greatswords with some support high-tier units, but by the end of the game I had 3+ armies with all Ushabti of both types backed by whatever mix of the T5 monsters I wanted. Not a single skeleton around besides the Lords and Heroes.

I feel like TK is some tweaks away from being a really interesting faction.

On the campaign side, the current recruitment system is too rigid. There's few options at each tier, too many clustered at higher settlement levels, and the cap you get for each is really low. The result is an extremely linear rigid path through army compositions through the midgame. There's no option to go heavy cav or ranged focus or what-have-you. Since your basic infantry is garbage and literally anything is better, there's no incentive to leave units out either.

My idea for a fix would that instead of individual unit caps, you have type caps. So instead of a Hierotitan Cap and a Scorpion Cap, you just have a Construct Cap and different constructs take different amounts of slots. Add buildings and hero skills that effect the cap in various ways and mix things up and give you room to specialize. Things like the base Hierotitan recruitment building is only level 3 but they consume extra cap until you get the level 5 upgrade. Or a hero/lord skill that lets its army have 1 "free" Ushabti that doesn't count against the cap or one that removes the cap on chariots for that army but constructs cost triple. You could even just add more buildings that increase the cap so you could fill up a province with different Sphynx cap buildings, giving you the ability to recruit 4 of them from a single province, but giving up all other unit increases in exchange since you used up all the slots on all those Sphynxes. There's all sorts of way to get interesting and wacky with it but they fundamentally just need to provide more room for choice and specialization.

On the battle side, I think the infantry is too weak and the constructs are too strong. Everything but constructs struggles to rise above feeling like an empty slot filler and constructs feel like "attack-move-to-win". They average out to a normal strength faction but in an uninteresting way. The weak stuff is weak to the point that I don't care about using it well and the strong stuff is strong to the point that it would be hard not to use it well. Normally I like diverse factions but TK doesn't feel diverse because of this. I really think that WH2 overdid it on the heavily armored monsters in general (do all dinosaurs really need that much armor?) but TK really emphasizes to me that big fast heavily armored monsters are cool but not very interesting or sufficiently differentiated.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

One possible solution is to rebels rebalance red skills for low tier units, especially the more underpowered ones. Distribute out the Stacking bonuses so it takes a good while to get all of them, but ultimately keeps those low tier units relevant long term.

Am I losing my mind or are there no techs that boost the humble basic skellington?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SickZip posted:

Am I losing my mind or are there no techs that boost the humble basic skellington?

Nope the there is a red line skill that does, and that's it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah Tomb Kings isn't Fun Mode
they're kinda lame

it's not exactly a misstep but its close to it, CA's only other mistakes with the games (aside from Norsca/not fixing simple bugs/reintroducing old bugs) are the poo poo rear end mini-campaigns

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im having fun with TKs but im bad at this game and like all the canopic jar poo poo and the recruiting mechanic

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NeurosisHead posted:

I know I'm not good at TW games, but I've beaten every single campaign on normal and usually at least have fun. I am having 0 fun with TK. Not being able to recruit anything but units that exist only to die and give a loving worthless regen effect isn't clicking. Savage orc boar boys explode through my braced spears to obliterate my archers before they can do any work, warbosses beat Settra to death in the blink of an eye, chariots get stuck in even against moving crypt ghouls which don't even form ranks. I love everything about the aesthetics and the idea of this army, but I cannot loving play it more than 25 turns before it's game over for me. Does anyone have any advice beyond "I play on very hard and beat it already with every LL so git gud"?

Spam more archers and use cat to kill everything.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NeurosisHead posted:

1. Make sure you protect your starting construct like your life depending on it. If you loose it then prepare for a World Of poo poo. This is because...
2. Everything that isn't a construct manages to rise to the level of okay-I-guess on a good day. Meanwhile on a normal day, everything that is a construct will win the superbowl and then go to your house to gently caress your wife
3. Get constructs as face as you can.

TK chariots are far more fragile and easily stuck then other chariots, but can be devastating if used carefully. Save them for rear charges against engaged enemies until you get a feel for them. Also, savage orcs are basically custom designed to ruin low tier TK armies. When fighting against other factions, low tier TK armies still feel weak (besides that starting construct) but I haven't encountered anyone that makes me feel as miserable as Savage Orcs/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think the bigger problems is the TK campaign is uh, not set up well.

Like I get it, you can do well with Settra. But despite the Settra hype, Settra isn't fun. He's a chariot focused dude with lovely initial units who can hold battles by himself, but you don't want that. So half your game is fighting poo poo that smacks you around and you win a ton of battles with just him/kitty/chariots. And that works for awhile, but eh. And then it's just TK fights forever while you slowly get more constructs which takes forever because you have to fight dozens more TK or....

Khalida has a rougher start but a funner growth pattern.

Arkhan has an absurdly easy start with tons of fun stuff to do and a bunch of cool spells. He only starts getting hard to exact moment you switch over to constructs which works perfectly.

Khatep is loving hilarious because despite how bad that matchup should be, it really isn't and you can really gently caress the DElves with Khatep's spells/units. And once you get going to get to fight Tretch super quickly ( because Tretch rips apart southern Naggarond, it's beautiful ) and you get a bunch of varied fights with basically all the core WH2 races but HElves. It's just a harder start, but still a very fun game.

You also get a lot of weird poo poo the game doesn't bother to explain to you. Like Entomb Beneath the Sands let's you get global recruitment, and your global recruitment is still free.

The whole thing is once you start going you GET GOING fast and then become rear end in a top hat faction, beating up the other kids around you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Panfilo posted:

The catapult should work as a chariot that whizzes around hurling yelling skulls at enemies then when it runs out of skulls it just whips the spine arm thing around with a big skull as a wrecking ball.

Funny enough, honga has the ark of bones, or bone ark, or bark, as a chariot. That might be because one of the LLs can use it as a mount.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel if tomb kings just had better garrisons and the base skeletons were at the very least equal if not slightly better then vampire equivalents they wouldn't be so rough to get going with.

That and probably nerf tomb king rebels, multiple rank 6 units of their strongest constructs and tomb guards is... yikes, that's rough.

Also never noticed how much "the dead raise again" after a battle helped out when I had good units disintegrate with no way to stop it as vampire counts, as other factions those units would run off and survive with a couple left.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 26, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For people who are having a hard time with their skelemans going up against Savage Orcs, have you tried taking the follower that gives every melee skeleton unit Deathblow?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I still think the solution to this is the point buy system from multiplayer but for your armies and maybe giving speed boosts on campaign map for smaller armies.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

idgi, is this some "i only play legendary" dick waving?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Senor Dog posted:

idgi, is this some "i only play legendary" dick waving?

No, until this patch all of the difficulties were buggy in one way or another, so that the harder difficulties were significantly easier than easy.

e:

Barely made it out by the skin of my teeth, I guess?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 26, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m really glad CA kept the relative balance/difficulty of Tomb Kings to what it was like on TT, if they were easy to play and OP then it just wouldn’t feel right

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

No, until this patch all of the difficulties were buggy in one way or another, so that the harder difficulties were significantly easier than easy.

I don't think Legendary was bugged? Or at least I'm not really noticing a difference post patch.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

turn off the TV posted:

e:

Barely made it out by the skin of my teeth, I guess?

wow that was really helpful advice thanks

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I don't think Legendary was bugged? Or at least I'm not really noticing a difference post patch.

I'm not sure what, if anything, was wrong with the campaign level of legendary, but in battles the AI had all of the penalties/decision making of the easy difficulty AI.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So after buying TW2 over xmas, I just discovered that all the cool cosmetic changes that came with regions switching hands in TW1 (so like orky places becoming dwarfy) no longer occur in ME. That's lame. It sucks bigtime.

How does vampiric corruption work with this setup? If I'm at high corruption in a province, do my battlefields look like happy little sunny glades, or do they look like spooky grimdark hellscapes?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So what am I meant to do about Kroq-Gar as the tomb kings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

So what am I meant to do about Kroq-Gar as the tomb kings?

Get as many tomb guards as possible to hold the line and then chuck every big thing you have at him.