Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Somehow protag lives through certain death once again. Fuckin weird.

Molothecat posted:

what's up. Why have I been benched for so long? I'm a killing MACHINE.

They're in the process of reattaching your arm. If you want you could go in wounded but I wouldn't recommend it because one shot could kill you.

poisonpill posted:

Can you sub me in for one mission? Just one tho, I don’t want to die

I guess if you want, depends how the votes go.

So once again almost all our guys are injured. Akratic, the littlest prince, Cantorsdust, SavageGentleman, & poverty goat are the only ones in fighting shape.

the infiltration situation is getting to be hosed. If we don't act we might lose somebody. We just did missions in Sensovision & Marsec buildings, so hopefully those will be ok without further missions.

We have living space for exactly one more agent, to take WWN's place. I'll get em' hired. There's only one living prospect too, kinda lovely stats on this bum, but better than nobody.

That leaves us with 6 agents, enough for one effective squad if they stick together and I play conservatively. It'll be mostly noobs, but better than nothing. We can't afford any more losses unless we're willing to lose an org to the alien menace.

Choose an Option:
  1. Investigate:
    a) Diablo, 20%, our ally and a gang
    b) The Cult, 15%, our enemy and basically a doomsday cult
    c) Osiron, 12%, neutral gang
    d) Synthmesh, 8%, general manufacturer. Neutral.
    e) Sensovision, 5%, Psi entertainment. Neutral.
    f) Megapol, 4%, our ally the cops
    g) Marsec, 0%, high tech sector, vehicles, exotic weapons manufacturer. Neutral.
  2. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

We have living space for exactly one more agent, to take WWN's place. I'll get em' hired. There's only one living prospect too, kinda lovely stats on this bum, but better than nobody.

Leave that bum in the slum and give me a gun. Wanna raid that cult!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Somehow protag lives through certain death once again. Fuckin weird.

They're in the process of reattaching your arm. If you want you could go in wounded but I wouldn't recommend it because one shot could kill you.

I guess if you want, depends how the votes go.

So once again almost all our guys are injured. Akratic, the littlest prince, Cantorsdust, SavageGentleman, & poverty goat are the only ones in fighting shape.

the infiltration situation is getting to be hosed. If we don't act we might lose somebody. We just did missions in Sensovision & Marsec buildings, so hopefully those will be ok without further missions.

That leaves us with 6 agents, enough for one effective squad if they stick together and I play conservatively. It'll be mostly noobs, but better than nothing. We can't afford any more losses unless we're willing to lose an org to the alien menace.

Choose an Option:
  1. Investigate:
    a) Diablo, 20%, our ally and a gang
    b) The Cult, 15%, our enemy and basically a doomsday cult
    c) Osiron, 12%, neutral gang
    d) Synthmesh, 8%, general manufacturer. Neutral.
    e) Sensovision, 5%, Psi entertainment. Neutral.
    f) Megapol, 4%, our ally the cops
    g) Marsec, 0%, high tech sector, vehicles, exotic weapons manufacturer. Neutral.
  2. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research

As eager as I am to get made squaddie, it sounds like we're one invasion or base raid away from a wipe. You desperately need to get guys healed up and finish a second med bay. #2, let's live to fight again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
iirc we gotta lose both bases to game over, and if we get raided we can mostly duct tape everyone together enough to survive. Except the second base, there are no security stations to assist, so the bots will have to carry the mission on their cracked and broken backs.

Now if someone 9/11'd both our bases we'd be in bad shape but I don't think we'd get game over from just that. Everyone would be murdered tho.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1A Ally Diablo
then
1D Synthmesh

We need our friends in the slums and we need our construction workers in the city.

We're basically the mafia but we kill aliens.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1B, if we don't intervene the cult will fall to the aliens in about a day. And if we get any loot, sell it to lease hire some shiny new robots. Or their fragile organic counterparts, whatever's available.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So what are the actual consequences of The Cult falling to the aliens? Aren't they already pretty hostile?

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I think the cult would be a pretty difficult mission to take right now so I'm gonna vote 1a

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

1A, investigate our pyromaniac ganger buddies
then
2, research, we need better poo poo

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Living up to all my expectations by appearing immediately and loving things up.

I vote 2, we need to just wait for some people to come out of the hospital, and hopefully develop a way to keep them out in the mean time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

VikingofRock posted:

So what are the actual consequences of The Cult falling to the aliens? Aren't they already pretty hostile?

Now they're just a hostile org. Going alien means they're an actual arm of the alien menace. Iirc they get access to any alien tech that comes thru the gate, not just black market stuff. Their buildings become breeding grounds for more aliens and they will spread from those buildings in addition to the usual drop off points.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Now they're just a hostile org. Going alien means they're an actual arm of the alien menace. Iirc they get access to any alien tech that comes thru the gate, not just black market stuff. Their buildings become breeding grounds for more aliens and they will spread from those buildings in addition to the usual drop off points.

Okay, yeah, that sounds bad.

Still, they are only at 15% so we have some time. Let's get a little less aggressive on the investigations so our guys can heal up.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
RIP me. I think that leaves about four agents left of the original starting lineup?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's grim. We've only got five originals left.

pop fly to McGillicutty
poverty goat
Blue Train
The Protagonist
Chillgamesh

This is the core of our elite squad and the only ones who can rival their kills would be walrus and snot, who are also very old compared to most agents.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I know that this is a meta suggestion, but maybe you can switch over to real-time combat?

In a lot of missions, you can set up kill zones and let the aliens walk into them and get murdered. It also gives you a leg up against poppers and brain suckers; agents should be able to kill them before they get close.

The only problem is that these investigations are in tight quarter hallways, and if you try to wait out the aliens they will escape.

Once the personal shields are finished researching, it would be very hard for the aliens to make a dent in the agents with real time combat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah, sure next mission will be realtime. I did a base attack like that but I was spooked by how much damage we took. Also it glitched out pretty bad.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

1B because the end of times is coming... FOR THEM

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Didn't we just investigate diablo? What the gently caress are they doing...

Also I think my kill count on the graph is wrong, don't want to take credit for someone else's work!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

straight from the horse's mouth. Them stats is accurate.

Yeah this is even after all the diablo missions we did. Barely slowed the aliens down. They're gunning for our ally.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I vote we help our ally, Diablo. 20% is an ugly fuckin' number. It may be whack-a-mole but it's a-stickin' out and we should be hankerin' ta whack it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

straight from the horse's mouth. Them stats is accurate.

Yeah this is even after all the diablo missions we did. Barely slowed the aliens down. They're gunning for our ally.

drat, I guess I'm even better than I thought I was!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

*Approaches table in the cafeteria*

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to turn the tide against these alien baddies!

*Sits down at the table with a bunch of veteran agents*

I’ve got a bunch of great ideas I hope to share, that I’m sure will help us out a bunch. Not that you probably haven’t already thought of some great ones of course, just that sometimes you need a fresher perspective, uncolored by the foggy veil of past months. Like for starters, for some reason we brought some pineapples on the last few missions. Wouldn’t it be better to put pineapples here in the caf? So to start kicking off this new wave of optimized resource allocation, I brought one with me today!

*Starts cutting into a grenade*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
*eats a hunk of exposed RDX*
*barely seizes, not even noticeably postictal*
"your turn, rook"

prob update later today

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

the littlest prince posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to turn the tide against these alien baddies!

I’ve got a bunch of great ideas I hope to share, that I’m sure will help us out a bunch. Not that you probably haven’t already thought of some great ones of course, just that sometimes you need a fresher perspective, uncolored by the foggy veil of past months. Like for starters, for some reason we brought some pineapples on the last few missions. Wouldn’t it be better to put pineapples here in the caf? So to start kicking off this new wave of optimized resource allocation, I brought one with me today!

God drat this is some good poo poo.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Look guys, we're getting close to figuring out these personal shields, so let's hold off on new missions for a bit and finish building that second medbay so our people can heal up.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

the littlest prince posted:

Let's do whatever this dude says

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
*bursts into the cafeteria at a run, glancing frantically around, before rushing to a table and grabbing a grenade out from a soldier's mouth*

"I need to borrow this. The ReMeat restraints have failed! The sex dolls won't hold them off long."

*flees back through the door, leaving only the sound of pounding footsteps in the direction of Biology*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"Look, you're my agent. If I'm not getting cast in this alien show I'm gonna have to be the pedophile in that upcoming SVU episode and how am I going to explain that to gram-gram??"

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

We should put ourselves in a better position before we launch another investigation. Let's build them bases up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I went to update, but I was looking at steam and thought "dang stellaris is coming out with that big update, I should play a little before it comes out, been a while. Drink this coffee then update xcom."

then I fell into a time wormhole and lost 14 hours. Still never beat even one game. The Serene Empire of Raktuur will teach these violent anarchists the value of peace, and their many vassal states will give unflinching support.

right so looking at the votes investigate diablo and ⏭ are tied. Gonna load up and look at the map while the pot brews and if there's no new vote i'll figure it out. The only other votes were for investigating the cult so we'll prob investigate somebody? Dunno.

@ minimum we'll make sure we have everyone geared up and at least one squad prepped in case there's any alerts.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Change my vote to fast forward but make sure we've got enough alien meat stockpiled to BBQ on Super Bowl Sunday

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alright but if diablo gets briansucked i'll be peeved we blew 8 grand on them and also it's a big pain whenever anyone gets brainsucked.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I vote build up a bit. When we visit my old gang stompin' grounds I want to appear strong, not weak.....Sir! Besides if we are stronger and have more tech then we should be even more effective against the aliens and reduce the infiltrations at a rapid pace.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alright. That's what we'll do. Current progress on the personal shield is 6%.
We've recovered some aliens from the last mission. Normally I don't look at them but we've actually recovered so many they wouldn't be able to store them all. That's a lot!

1 live egg
1 live multiworm
2 live chrysalises
4 live skeletoids
2 dead brainsuckers
2 dead hyperworms
3 dead anthropods
1 dead skeletoid
1 dead spitter

That's a hell of a meat. It was a 9 versus 16 mission and we lost one guy while wiping the other team. Rip WWN.

I'm gonna hold off on hiring a new agent, because the only one available has lame stats. This will backfire severely if there is an alert before new guys email resumes to HR. Actually no, Molo is still 55/56 HP so we can send him if we have to.

While I was waiting for some deliveries I noticed Psyke and Nutrivend sending cars to various other orgs. Nutrivend in particular sends quite a few all over the city. The cops blew up a psyke car, but Psyke sent some U-hauls that made it. I assume it was a shipment of drug implants.

The only weapons we have that can penetrate shields are stun gas and toxin. We are plum gave out on toxin ammo so I make sure everyone who isn't in the medbay has at least one stun grenade. PSI and stun grapples may also be effective but I'm not going out of my way to give them out anyone who doesn't already have one.

We're also getting low on plasma ammo, we've been using them as a good sidearm because they hold a shitload of shots per clip and normally we can get through a couple missions without even reloading, but we may run out soon. I'm not gonna buy more because we can fall back to regular LAWPISTOLS™ if we have to. If it really comes down to it we can switch to the heavier and less accurate disruptor beams.

Also all of our plasma has been looted from other orgs, so that's fun.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Engineering pulls through with a few more toxin clips and The Last Squad is fully equipped.

In the couple of hours that passed the aliens have not been idle:

pre:
   The Cult: 24% (+9)
     Diablo: 19% (-1)
  Synthmesh: 13% (+5)
     Osiron: 11% (-1)
Sensovision: 5%  (0)
    Megapol: 3%  (-1)
     Marsec: 3%  (+3)
I'd be interested to see what happens when a civilian notices aliens but the org is hostile to us. Will we still get an alert? If anybody approaches 50% I'll stop and poll the thread with agent status updates, ask what to do about it.

I don't know for sure but if someone goes alien they either need to hit 100% or it might be some thing where above 50% they start getting dice rolls and flip if they fail. I honestly cannot remember at all, maybe there's someone here who does.

We make it to midnight without any alerts. Infiltration trends change:

pre:
   The Cult: 25%
     Diablo: 19%
  Synthmesh: 13%
     Osiron: 11%
Sensovision: 5%
    Megapol: 3%
     Marsec: 3%
Seems to have stabilized. If the aliens keep up with their lifecycles it may continue to increase. IMO once the aliens get a critical mass the numbers will continue to go up unless we intervene, otherwise they'll drop back down because the aliens don't have a good enough grip.

Personal Shield is now at 8%.

Molo, Hairtytaint, Deadbeat, HBar, and Kobolds are now fully healed. The other two injured scientists and most agents are still in. Medbay is now at 120% capacity, so as more and more guys get out the rest will heal faster until we hit 100.

We're gonna need to buy some more psi amps at some point but there are none available.

Additional time passes and Psyke is raided by the Government itself. That's cool and I thought the Senate offloaded all that poo poo to the cops.

Again the aliens have not been loving around, and don't like to have all their eggs in one basket:

pre:
     The Cult: 34%
       Diablo: 17%
    Synthmesh: 15%
       Osiron: 9%
       Marsec: 5%
   Sensovison: 2%
      Megapol: 1%
Superdynamics: 1%
    Nutrivend: 1%
       Evonet: 1%
Superdynamics is a vehicle manufacturer, also does fuel refining I think.
Evonet is sorta Nutrivend's competitor, but they focus mostly on recycling and water purification stuff.

Nobody else got healed up. Our current crop of functional agents are:
poverty goat, SavageGentleman, Molothecat, Cantorsdust, William Henry Hairytaint, Deadbeat Poetry, HBar, the littlest prince, Akratic Method.

9 Guys. Some good heavy weapons in there, some medium styles, but heavy on psi and light weapons. Got some good toxin clips tho. What do?

Choose an Option:
  1. Raid:
    a) Psyke
    b) The Cult
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult. Hostile, alien lovers
    b) Diablo. Ally, gang
    c) Synthmesh. Neutral, construction company
    d) Osiron. Neutral, gang
    e) Marsec. Neutral, exotic equipment and vehicles
    f) Sensovison. Neutral, space-tv
    g) Megapol. Ally, the cops
    h) Superdynamics. Neutral, invented people tubes & power systems
    i) Nutrivend. Hostile, farms
    j) Evonet. Neutral, recycling & water supply
  3. gently caress em, ⏭ & build up the bases / research

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also, it's interesting, but you can really see where the aliens are coming from if you have some info and you take a look at where these buildings are. In our last mission some of the aliens must have escaped, because all the buildings next to it are owned by someone who either was already on the list or is now.

e: i guess another thing i forgot, if someone goes hostile (including getting alien'd) they will refuse to sell you poo poo. So if e.g. Marsec goes then the only source of advanced armors or ships or elerium or psi amps would come from raids. I don't think you can actually raid for ships. If Nanotech goes then we're out of medkits. Either Transtellar or Superdynamics does fuel, if that guy goes we're hosed on gas. If Transtellar goes hostile then we can't even transfer items between bases unless I have someone hoof it over. They're currently unfriendly for some reason.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 29, 2018

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

We are getting our rear end kicked, maybe it's time to focus on building our strength for a bit.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If you think you have a good bead on which buildings are infiltrated, then Investigate Diablo and Synthmesh and get those numbers down. I think the cult is a write off at this point.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the cult will be eternally hostile unless we pay them off and then play nice with the aliens (read: get game over). But there's a difference between hostile and infiltrated. If someone gets infiltrated then the aliens can use their buildings to breed and spread into the city (i think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
As far as trying to detective out where these fuckers are:

So there's not really a good way to show this because everything is a muddy DOS game, but the building in the upper left is where our last mission was. It's the one that looks like little paths between pink towers. The brown thing to the south is Evonet, the blue bars is Synthmesh, the red fork thing is Synthmesh, The glass ovals are Nutrivend, and the brown thing north of the glass is Sensovision.

The purple arrow over the wasteland is a space shuttle from offworld. They yellow arrow in the sewer plant is one of our few remaining ships.

trying to find where the aliens are in Diablo is going to be more of a crap shoot. They're the boxed in slums. The one in the upper right is connected to a Sensovison building, which is connected to a Nutrivend farm and a Cult temple. That's connected to a Superdynamics factory and a Cop factory. So they're all interlinked. Aliens could be in any of these or none of them, we would have to wait for an alert or do an educated guess.

That Sensovision building is also where there was a recent drop.

I think the diablo building closest to us would have the aliens, but i don't want to piss them off too much by rifling through all their poo poo repeatedly with no aliens to show for it.

• Locked thread