Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I think I would say that, yes. Why would that be a bad precedent?

Pizza would be fictional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Grunty Secret posted:

There is, it's "watch cap".

Watch like you're on watch? I kinda like it but I have never heard of it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Prunes are plums.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember several years ago Sunsweet rebranded their prunes as dried plums to escape the prune stigma, or something. For whatever reason, it didn't stick.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GopherFlats posted:

I didn't realize until today that the word cable could also be used as a verb. Apparently you can cable something which actually means to send a message to and a couple more general definitions.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cable

I guess it makes sense, but as a native English speaker I've never heard the word used to describe any form of message. Cablegram was also a new one for me, which autocorrect also doesn't recognize.

I mean you CAN cable something, but unless you’re posting from 1903, you never will.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GopherFlats posted:

I didn't realize until today that the word cable could also be used as a verb. Apparently you can cable something which actually means to send a message to and a couple more general definitions.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cable

I guess it makes sense, but as a native English speaker I've never heard the word used to describe any form of message. Cablegram was also a new one for me, which autocorrect also doesn't recognize.

I've only ever heard or read about wiring someone (often money instead of a message) but sure why not :shrug:

Dross posted:

Prunes are plums.

Yeah this took me a few years as a kid because in my native language there is no separate word for dried plums specifically.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

rydiafan posted:

Also there's currently a bit of disagreement about which races of people should have rights and stuff, so probably shouldn't leave that one up for debate

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
John Voigt and Vince Vaughn are separate people.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

rydiafan posted:

Pizza is fictional.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Life is a never ending search for the platonic ideal of pizza

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean you CAN cable something, but unless you’re posting from 1903, you never will.

You can 'cable' a ton of IT projects actually.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

"Tut" "tsk" and "tch" are all regional different onomatopoeia for the same sound, which is the clicking sound made by sucking on your front teeth (the sound you might make right before saying "whatever").

When I was a bookworm kid I used to actually go around saying "tisk tisk tisk."

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Dross posted:

"Tut" "tsk" and "tch" are all regional different onomatopoeia for the same sound, which is the clicking sound made by sucking on your front teeth (the sound you might make right before saying "whatever").

When I was a bookworm kid I used to actually go around saying "tisk tisk tisk."

I would have said 'tch' was the opposite of 'tut', one being inhaled, the other exhaled.

'tut' is the noise you make when someone pushes in front of you in a queue, 'tch' is the noise you make at your cat when he's being a little bitch

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The words "giorno" (Italian for "day"), "journal", and "diurnal" all come from the same source: the Latin word "diurnus", which essentially means "daily"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doctor Bishop posted:

The words "giorno" (Italian for "day"), "journal", and "diurnal" all come from the same source: the Latin word "diurnus", which essentially means "daily"

Reminded me of Jupiter, via *djous patēr, and Zeus, via Ζεῦ πάτερ, and (Norse) Týr, via *Tīwaz – all variants on "heavenly father", "father in the sky", etc (our father who art in heaven?) – likely the "original" chief god of the Indo-Europeans some 4-5000 years ago.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Jan 26, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We have a term for all father for the old celtic gods too. Once he was dared to eat an enormous bowl of stew or he'd be killed by demons or something

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

EmmyOk posted:

We have a term for all father for the old celtic gods too. Once he was dared to eat an enormous bowl of stew or he'd be killed by demons or something

Ye Olde Tide Pod Challenge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

Badass! Did he do it or was there trickery involved?

Thor once bet Útgarða-Loki that he could empty Lokis drinking horn in one draught, not knowing Útgarða-Loki was tricking him into drinking all the world's oceans. Hence the tides, from when he almost managed it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Krankenstyle posted:

Badass! Did he do it or was there trickery involved?

Thor once bet Útgarða-Loki that he could empty Lokis drinking horn in one draught, not knowing Útgarða-Loki was tricking him into drinking all the world's oceans. Hence the tides, from when he almost managed it.

To be fair, he got three pulls and only managed to drop it down a couple knuckles worth.

And Loki's such a bitch he didn't even eat the bones or the plate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

True, as illustrated in the original sagas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSs4pwokCg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thor lifting Utgarda-Lokis cat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNyu_p4ZPQ

Jormungandr / midgårdsormen

e: wow it's hard to find clips that used to be there before the marvel movies with the weird blond thor

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Jared Leto is the blond guy that gets the poo poo beaten out of him in Fight Club.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mister Facetious posted:

Jared Leto is the blond guy that gets the poo poo beaten out of him in Fight Club.

I looked him up on IMDB after Suicide Squad and whoa, yeah. For a performance that (iirc) doesn't have any lines, he sure makes an impact.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

How else was the narrator supposed to destroy something beautiful?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

purple death ray posted:

Also there's currently a bit of disagreement about which races of people should have rights and stuff, so probably shouldn't leave that one up for debate
I don't see how that relates? Rights are inherently only "real" by consensus, and up for debate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tiggums intelligence was up for debate

consensus says hes a big butt

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people literally won't agree that the earth is round but tiggum still thinks consensus reality is a decent idea

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
today i learned that the french have a phrase for the urge to be a goon. “l’appel de l’escalier” :france:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

InediblePenguin posted:

people literally won't agree that the earth is round but tiggum still thinks consensus reality is a decent idea

reality doesnt matter or need to exist

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

today i learned that the french have a phrase for the urge to be a goon. “l’appel de l’escalier” :france:

C'est vrais, je suis protégé

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 30, 2018

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

No, that's les Grognards

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Star Wars both start out with the same music interval, a perfect fifth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fred Breakfast posted:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Star Wars both start out with the same music interval, a perfect fifth.

Haha yeah that doesn't even mean anything.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Fred Breakfast posted:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and ABCD are both the same song.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No. The tune is the same, the lyrics are way different. :smuggo:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fred Breakfast posted:

Actually they both start off with the same note played twice, then the fifth.

But so do literally thousands, if not millions of songs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Actually they both start off with the same note played twice, then the fifth.

But so do literally thousands, if not millions of songs.

nvm

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fair enough!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nah, I had the intervals wrong (but still not the same). I think this is right without looking it up (because super lazy)

TTLS - is 1 1 5 5

SW is (humming it out) - 1 1 1 4 8

EDIT: Now I looked it up, because it was bugging me, since the 4th sounds like it should be a 5th. And it is. In the key of Cmaj it's actually D D D G D. So the intervals are "right", but should actually be (corrected for key) 2 2 2 5 9

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh yeah, do the commonwealth countries even do the ABC song? because doesn’t their hosed up “zed” thing gently caress up the whole rhyming structure at the end?