Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

torgeaux posted:

I don't normally share high ISO, out of focus snapshot portraits, but sometimes they just have a pull. I think this one shows the importance of knowing how to pose a model.

Stand Awkwardly Please by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Man, I didn't know SA had an avatar.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_0039.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Subject:"Please make my face look as wide and flat as possible"

HH:"Ma'am, you have come to the right place"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
She does have a wide, flat face though. I shot her with an 80mm eFOV (50mm ƒ/4 macro Takumar on a crop Canon).

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Helen Highwater posted:

She does have a wide, flat face though. I shot her with an 80mm eFOV (50mm ƒ/4 macro Takumar on a crop Canon).

I don't mind the wide/flat thing going on, but that highlight on her left nose/frame right kills it for me. It doesn't flow with the framing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

McMadCow posted:

I don't mind the wide/flat thing going on, but that highlight on her left nose/frame right kills it for me. It doesn't flow with the framing.

Yeah HH, I would fill that in with black and see how it looks, it would probably be better.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Studio portrait photography is dead! Wrap it up photog-ailures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbppmWYqPc

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
One of the things I'm doing quite a lot these days is taking pictures of people to use for dating sites. I ask them if they have some reference photo that they like the look of so that I can try and incorporate that style into the shoot. Nearly always (for women, at least) they send me a picture that they took on their phone with some kind of 'beauty filter' applied that smooths skin, brightens and embiggens eyes, and adds fake catch lights. Every. Single. Time, this filter has been pushed as far to the right as it will go and they look like some kind of anime nightmare.

So yeah, there's a lot of stuff that can be done with smart filters. None of that will matter for most end users.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In my almost 5 years of photography I just did my second photo shoot. I messed up the focus in a bunch of shots, but what I didn't gently caress up I feel isn't the worst for someone new to portraits. Hopefully I can get some more experience soon :shobon:

(The focus isn't the best in this one, but I like it enough that I thought it could be overlooked)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your first photo's background is hilarious. Second the clarity/contrast is way too high. Your model looks horrendously sunburned in the third and fourth.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

um excuse me posted:

Your first photo's background is hilarious. Second the clarity/contrast is way too high. Your model looks horrendously sunburned in the third and fourth.

The makeup artist put a bunch of purple skinpaint on the model dressed as Poison Ivy, so I didn't really know exactly how to treat that

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spaced God posted:

The makeup artist put a bunch of purple skinpaint on the model dressed as Poison Ivy, so I didn't really know exactly how to treat that

Politely pull the mua aside and ask them what they were trying to accomplish with that look

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's not the body paint that's the problem, its the fact that when the model is horizontal, her breasts move and the line where the paint stops looks like a bad tanline. You should have either asked the model to tuck herself in a bit or asked the MUA to cover it up.

I like the funky skin tone even though it doesn't say Poison Ivy at all, but you have to watch for things like that if your model is moving around a lot.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Downside: Got assaulted
Upside: What better excuse to explore self-portraiture.

Any tips for making these better other than "Shoot a gently caress ton and hope it's in focus?" I'm using a tripod and remote.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

Any tips for making these better other than "Shoot a gently caress ton and hope it's in focus?" I'm using a tripod and remote.
Lighting, posing, backgrounds. All of those will make your selfies better.

Put something where you expect your eyes to be. Focus manually on that. Turn off autofocus. That way the lens won't randomly decide to refocus on some random background detail.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Megabound posted:

Man, that's rough. What happened if I may ask?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

Man, that's rough. What happened if I may ask?

Got rolled trying to buy some weed. He decided it'd be best to choke me to the ground, kick me in the head, and make off with the cash. I wish he stole my phone too. The one time my fancy phone security subscription could have come in use.

It's been reported to the police and thankfully in Australia the Queensland government will pay to fix my teeth up under a victims assistance program.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

Shoot with a narrower aperture so you don't have to worry as much about focus. Put light on your face. Remove light from your background / think more about your background.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Is just found this guy on flickr... https://www.flickr.com/photos/marikoen/

I am sharing this because I think he makes very nice urban photo's you can enjoy.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I am trying out older lenses this one was an Helios 44-2.
Getting focus on the eyes was not that easy next time I will use a smaller aperture to get some more DoF.

Helios 44-2 by roland luijken, on Flickr

Also no watermark and or vignette this time.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Don't know if you do Instragram but this photo and your stuff in the landscape thread would be a perfect fit around the #ig_onstandby tag. Lots of empty urban neon. Anyway, your photos are awesome.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 17, 2018

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I am going to be deeply saddened when my daughter gets tired of the camera.

Logan Lily kitty cat by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with how this candid portrait of my wife came out. This is her in in her natural state: naked, in bed, on her phone.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

More from my LF paper neg project.

Sam by Jason, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Don't know if you do Instragram but this photo and your stuff in the landscape thread would be a perfect fit around the #ig_onstandy tag. Lots of empty urban neon. Anyway, your photos are awesome.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I wanted to say thanks. :)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a backlog of shoots that I did when I was still in Slovakia, which I hadn't got around to editing. The weekend was a washout for the stuff I had planned so I worked my way through one of them. I had trouble trying to come up with a nice aesthetic for the shoot, editing it 'flat' looked crap so I went for a more vintage look with aggressive contrast curves and a bit of split-toning abuse.

The model was a girl who had been booked by a guy who wanted me to give him photography lessons. He didn't turn up so we ended up improvising. Yes, yes, yes, that loving green chair. I know. The good news for this thread is that I don't live there any more so future shoots will be 100% antique furniture free.

IMG_1578.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1600-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1592-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I think editing works best when it isn't obvious., and the processing in especially the first and third become the defining features of the photos, and not in a good way. The first and third are so contrasty, with the highlights and blacks taken so far, that at first glance it's all I really think about. The clarity sculpting out all of the model's imperfections and veins on her face and throwing shadows, and then the super-strong highlights on the model's face in the third one -- they immediately make me think "oh, they went aggressive on the editing and unintentionally hosed up the skin and face."

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 25, 2018

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is loving brilliant portrait.

This looks like a corpse.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The slow load of this image made my day.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Anyone have good tips or advice on finding models to work with? Model mayhem feels creepy/outdated, and I'm messed around on instagram a bit but don't really have the connections or experience I feel like I need to start approaching people for shoots.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I found a few models on Facebook. There was a Fb group for TFP shoots in the area where I lived. I have also had some success with approaching people randomly. I give them a card with my IG and portfolio site on it and say that if they like the sort of stuff I do, I'd love to do a shoot with them. You need to be careful that your pitch is basically, 'I like to shoot portraits with random people who I think look cool and maybe you'd like to work with me' rather than 'How do you feel about this opportunity to potentially be sexually assaulted?' Especially, if like me you are a dude approaching women.

Instagram is another source of potential models. Look for people who are uploading a lot of fitness/beauty selfies in your area and ask if they'd like to take part in a more organised shoot.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

I found a few models on Facebook. There was a Fb group for TFP shoots in the area where I lived. I have also had some success with approaching people randomly. I give them a card with my IG and portfolio site on it and say that if they like the sort of stuff I do, I'd love to do a shoot with them. You need to be careful that your pitch is basically, 'I like to shoot portraits with random people who I think look cool and maybe you'd like to work with me' rather than 'How do you feel about this opportunity to potentially be sexually assaulted?' Especially, if like me you are a dude approaching women.

Instagram is another source of potential models. Look for people who are uploading a lot of fitness/beauty selfies in your area and ask if they'd like to take part in a more organised shoot.

Hmm. Ok, yea, I guess I have to just put myself out there more. Thanks for the feedback.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

hi liter posted:

Anyone have good tips or advice on finding models to work with? Model mayhem feels creepy/outdated, and I'm messed around on instagram a bit but don't really have the connections or experience I feel like I need to start approaching people for shoots.

I've worked with probably 50 models through MM over the years with a 98% success rate. If you're not creepy about what you're trying to accomplish by networking there it's a good resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
IMG_0104 by Nathan Nixon, on Flickr