Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Adding a nato strap to my misfit vapor really helped bulk it up so it doesn't look so tiny on my wrist. Obviously, heart rate tracking is broken by doing this, but I wasn't too worried about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
They have so many cool color combo multi-packs of those nato straps on Amazon, I'm going loving buckwild on straps after Xmas

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Got me a Fossil Q Marshal. Its great but battery life isnt good. I suspect it's because I keep pissing about with it... This might make me jump from IOS.

Any killer apps I need to get? I got the bubble launcher and it's nicer than the original list system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

thegasman2000 posted:

Got me a Fossil Q Marshal. Its great but battery life isnt good. I suspect it's because I keep pissing about with it... This might make me jump from IOS.

Any killer apps I need to get? I got the bubble launcher and it's nicer than the original list system.

Gen 3 has better battery life than the gen 2 models.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Its been fine since I stopped messing about with it and turned the screen always on feature off!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fossil has added Android Wear options from two other brands they own, Kate Spade New York and Skagen

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/kate-spade-designed-an-android-wear-smartwatch/

How many fashion brands are there in Fossil Group anyway?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Their brands include Fossil, Relic,Abacus, Michele Watch,Skagen Denmark,Misfit, WSI, andZodiac Watches. Fossil also makes licensed accessories for brands such asAdidas,Emporio Armani,Karl Lagerfeld,Michael Kors,Marc by Marc Jacobs,Burberry,DKNY,Diesel,Kate Spade New York,Tory Burch, Chaps, andArmani Exchange.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So of their brands the following have Wear devices (or promised):
Fossil
Relic
MICHELE
Skagen Denmark
Misfit
Emporio Armani
Armani Exchange
Michael Kors
Diesel
DKNY
Chaps
Kate Spade New York
Marc by Marc Jacobs
Tory Burch

Which means these are the only ones left out:
Abacus
WSI
Zodiac Watches
Adidas (seems unlikely as they have a dedicated Digital accessories division)
Karl Lagerfeld (Karl is known for sporting an Apple Watch with a dead battery)
Burberry

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And for completeness here are the fashion brands that have Wear devices but weren't in the Fossil list

Louis Vuitton
Montblanc
Guess
Gc
Hugo BOSS
Movado
Nixon
TAG Heuer
Tommy Hilfiger

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so i really, really hate my iphone, but really like my apple watch. is there something aesthetically similar i could get for android that wouldn't leave too much of the functionality of my apple watch if i get a pixel 2 or something and throw my iphone in a landfill?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so i really, really hate my iphone, but really like my apple watch. is there something aesthetically similar i could get for android that wouldn't leave too much of the functionality of my apple watch if i get a pixel 2 or something and throw my iphone in a landfill?

Aesthetically similar probably isn't going to happen. The list of currently supported devices is here, the only remaining squareish device is the Polar M600. If you use your Apple Watch with a silicone/fitness style, that might be up your alley. Otherwise if you use your Apple Watch in more of a leather/fashion configuration, I'd say look at the options from the various fashion brands we were just discussing above. The Misfit Vapor / Fossil Q Control have been getting some favorable reviews.

Edit: and also look at the Gear Sport and Gear S3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

It would be easier if we knew what functionality you'd like to retain. Fitness tracking? Payments? Wrist tweeting? Telling time? All of this is possible (though payments are a bit crappy on Android Wear) but the answer isn't the same for each use case.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I currently have an iPhone but have an upgrade coming soon. Using my fossil q on iOS seems ok, am I loosing any functionality that would make the switch to an android phone worth it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

If he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for aw 2 being so much worse than 1.5, then good riddance.

Positive signs:

https://support.google.com/androidwear/thread/30587?hl=en

quote:

Hi everyone,

We are pleased to announce a new Android Wear update, Android Wear 2.8

This new update has improved notification glanceability with a new layout which shows more of your message at a glance.
We have also made the background darker for better readability.

Of course darker backgrounds are also better for battery life (on most displays)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since this is the app, everyone should get it, right?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Short answer yes, long answer is the rollout seems to be controlled/limited so far.

But in theory it should be able to go to every 2.x device I think?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just wanted to say I'm still really happy with my Armani Connected, a month+ later. Looks great, works great, better than expected battery.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More positive signs:

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/01/android-wear-sdk-and-emulator-update.html

quote:

Notification is a vital part of the Wear experience. As a result, starting from the next consumer release of Wear (version 2.9.0), a dot-shaped indicator will be displayed by default at the bottom of the watch face if there are new, unread notifications. Watch face developers can preview the indicator with their watch faces by using the latest version of the emulator. Developers can customise the indicator's accent color via WatchFaceStyle.setAccentColor - the default color is white as shown in the example below, but developers can set the color for the ring around the dot to an accent color of their choice, to match the rest of the watch face.

If the new indicator does not fit with the design of your watch face, you can switch it off using WatchFaceStyle.setHideNotificationIndicator and choose another option for displaying the notification, including:
1) displaying the number of unread notifications in the system tray using WatchFaceStyle.setShowUnreadCountIndicator, or
2) getting the number of unread notifications using WatchFaceStyle.getUnreadCount and displaying the number in a way that fits your watch face's unique style.

Also in Wear 2.9.0:

* Complications will ask for permissions when selected from the settings (no custom code is needed anymore).
* New features which allow face developers to draw watch faces more efficiently when they contain large images or icons.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Still lovely for a couple reasons. One, they already have an unread notification complication that I tried out on my Pujie Black watchface. It turns out most notifications don't fall into that category and instead are actually read notifications so I was forced to create a complication that shows unread/total notifications if I ever wanted useful information.

Secondly, and still the thing all us 1.5 fans want, there's still not a way to see at a glance what the notification is.

The implementation in the second one is terrible because it looks so similar to the No Connection icon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 2nd-gen Moto 360 suddenly stopped mirroring notifications. I tried un-pairing and re-pairing it today but no dice. What else can I check?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hooah posted:

My 2nd-gen Moto 360 suddenly stopped mirroring notifications. I tried un-pairing and re-pairing it today but no dice. What else can I check?

If it's not the watch, maybe it's the phone. Try power cycling the phone if you haven't yet, clearing cache for Play Services app, clearing cache for Android Wear app, if none of the above make a difference, clearing data for Android Wear app and going through the Wear setup again

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I got 2.8 on my Misfit Vapor a couple of days ago but the various panes still have the gray background instead of the black background of the OLED theme that was supposed to come with 2.8. Anyone else in the same boat?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The last of the Verizon Wear24 watches are being cleared out for $50 each

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/29/deal-verizons-wear24-android-watch-can-50-today/

They aren't going to receive Oreo or any other updates, but if you were looking for a way to set $50 on fire, there you go

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
RIP, it's showing as an invalid code for me atm.

Realistically, I already have a Vapor and a Skagen hybrid smartwatch as testaments to me being v susceptible to sales on smartwatches, I was going to get one to try and introduce my partner to this world of wasted money but it's probably for the best.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Positive signs:

https://support.google.com/androidwear/thread/30587?hl=en

Of course darker backgrounds are also better for battery life (on most displays)

I woke up to this being on my Moto 360/2. The white on black notifications are so much better than the white on grey. Why I got this but not 2.9 is anyone's guess but at least it's an improvement.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

2.9 isn't being rolled out yet, they were just previewing what's going to be in it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Switching from iOS/Apple Watch. Is Android Pay really that rare on the watches? I'd like something at least as thin and light as my 38mm Apple Watch, but I guess I'll sacrifice NFC if it has decent battery life (and preferably currently supported)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

Switching from iOS/Apple Watch. Is Android Pay really that rare on the watches? I'd like something at least as thin and light as my 38mm Apple Watch, but I guess I'll sacrifice NFC if it has decent battery life (and preferably currently supported)

There's literally no Android watches that small.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also Android Pay on Wear is kind of garbage because Wear doesn't have that concept of your phone keeping your watch unlocked therefore you have to enter a code or pattern or something before you can use it to make a payment.

I spent a year waiting for a non-huge non-ugly watch with NFC. In the end I gave up worrying about NFC and bought a Vapor. Nobody is interested in making that kind of watch.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really see the appeal of paying with my watch, truth be told. My phone is right there. Watch does it's job of showing you why your phone is vibrating so you don't have to take it out of your pocket every 5 minutes throughout the day and is great for workout tracking, that's the job I want it to do.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Samung gear? My bank doesn't support Android pay/Samsung pay yet so I have yet to try it, but I've heard good things.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

AA is for Quitters posted:

Samung gear? My bank doesn't support Android pay/Samsung pay yet so I have yet to try it, but I've heard good things.

The Samsung Gear is not an Android Wear device though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rastor posted:

The last of the Verizon Wear24 watches are being cleared out for $50 each

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/29/deal-verizons-wear24-android-watch-can-50-today/

They aren't going to receive Oreo or any other updates, but if you were looking for a way to set $50 on fire, there you go

I got one. It seems fine for $50. Biggest problem is that it has antennas in the strap so changing them out is limited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Wear update seems to have screwed something up with spacing of elements for Minimal and Elegant presets on my Misfit Vapor.

Also, while I like my Vapor, the black one gets dinged up VERY easily. It's clear the case is painted rather than anodized and the paint is really thin around the upper edge. I already have a quarter moon of bare metal showing even though I can't think of any times I've banged up against something. I really think it just rubbed clean from wearing long sleeves.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

Android Wear is getting killed, and it’s all Qualcomm’s fault 

This weekend will mark two years since Qualcomm's last smartwatch chip was announced. 

Ars Technica would like to wish a very special second birthday to the Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 SoC. While most flagship SoCs have a life cycle of about one year on the top of the market, over the weekend the Wear 2100 will celebrate two years as the least awful smartwatch SoC you can use in an Android Wear device. It's positively ancient at this point. 

Seriously though, Qualcomm has seemingly abandoned the smartwatch market. The Wear 2100 SoC was announced in February 2016, Qualcomm skipped out on an upgrade for February 2017, and it doesn't seem like we're getting a new smartwatch chip any time soon. 

In a healthy SoC market, this would be fine. Qualcomm would ignore the smartwatch SoC market, make very little money, and all the Android Wear OEMs would buy their SoCs from a chip vendor that was addressing smartwatch demand with a quality chip. The problem is, the SoC market isn't healthy at all. Qualcomm has a monopoly on smartwatch chips and doesn't seem interested in making any smartwatch chips. For companies like Google, LG, Huawei, Motorola, and Asus, it is absolutely crippling. There are literally zero other options in a reasonable price range (although we'd like to give a shoutout to the $1,600 Intel Atom-equipped Tag Heuer Connected Modular 45), so companies either keep shipping two-year-old Qualcomm chips or stop building smartwatches.Android Wear is not a perfect smartwatch operating system, but the primary problem with Android Wear watches is the hardware, like size, design (which is closely related to size), speed, and battery life. All of these are primarily influenced by the SoC, and there hasn't been a new option for OEMs since 2016. There are only so many ways you can wrap a screen, battery, and body around an SoC, so Android smartwatch hardware has totally stagnated. 

To make matters worse, the Wear 2100 wasn't even a good chip when it was new. The chip is built with a 28nm process, which was old and busted even in 2016. Qualcomm's flagship smartphone SoC at the time was the Snapdragon 820, which used a much better 14nm process. To find a flagship 28nm smartphone chip, you'd have to go back in time to the Snapdragon 801/800. That's right, 28nm was state-of-the-art smartphone technology in 2013. A smaller transistor manufacturing process will lead to a chip that is cooler, smaller, and more battery-efficient. While these attributes matter in smartphones, they matter far more in smartwatches, and Qualcomm has never put real effort into its smartwatch chips.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw that too and went straight here to see what's really happening. After actually RTFA more carefully, it seems that Wear isn't actually getting dropped by Google, at least for now, and it's just an opinion piece. That said, Samsung has been the only option I ever even remotely considered so it's not at all surprising. Weird though that more aren't using the Atoms if the 2100 is such a piece of poo poo (YSOCPOS).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Of all the legitimate complaints about the current state of Wear I haven't heard the processor being too slow or Wear specific battery life issues. There are other upsides to one chip like lower production costs and faster development time.

Qualcomm has probably not produced a new chip because the old one is good enough that nobody wants a new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, using an old, slow SOC also means it's using an old, power-hungry SOC, which necessitates a bigger battery, and by extension bigger device. The current state of Android Wear is that the smallest devices are the size of large men's watch, which is functionally cutting out half the potential market.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I asked my wife if she'd like a Misfit vapor and she tired mine on, looked comically large on her little woman wrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

Of all the legitimate complaints about the current state of Wear I haven't heard the processor being too slow or Wear specific battery life issues. There are other upsides to one chip like lower production costs and faster development time.

Qualcomm has probably not produced a new chip because the old one is good enough that nobody wants a new one.

People complain about the lagginess of Wear devices and the shortness of battery life all the time.