Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Ibadi Constantinople thats a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How worthwhile is spawning institutions rather than waiting for them to spread your way, if you're a long way from Europe (East Asia, Southeast Africa)?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Red Bones posted:

How worthwhile is spawning institutions rather than waiting for them to spread your way, if you're a long way from Europe (East Asia, Southeast Africa)?

Very.

Also I replaced all my cav with big guns and this seems to work way better, despite lacking cav.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Red Bones posted:

Extremely very. Especially if you’re landlocked, just dump your diplo points into as good a province as you can (farmlands/grasslands) and then dump remaining points into it as needed. If you can, try to put the seeded province in the middle of your country to prevent it spreading for as long as possible so your rivals don’t get the benefits of your dumped points.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I wish Age objectives and rewards were a little less specialized (barring the unique nation rewards obvs). I basically ignore it unless the goals are already congruent with whatever else I'm doing

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Red Bones posted:

IN terms of monarch points spent, I think it ends up about even, but by turbo-developing you also get a super good province out of it, so it's definitely worth it anyway.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In east africa you get the added bonus of dev pushing a gold province so you get to basically double your income at the same time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fuligin posted:

I wish Age objectives and rewards were a little less specialized (barring the unique nation rewards obvs). I basically ignore it unless the goals are already congruent with whatever else I'm doing

A lot of them are extremely good though, and it's not like you can spend splendor on anything else. Why wouldn't you take them?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of them are extremely good though, and it's not like you can spend splendor on anything else. Why wouldn't you take them?

Yeah when age of absolutism starts I beeline for the yearly absolutism bonus asap.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The first ones seem pretty niche, apart from the AE reduction one and the colonisation one if you're a coloniser. Maybe I just usually quit before they get relevant. I'm terrible at actually finishing paradox games tbh

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

About to finish my Sikh Punjab -> Bharat -> Unite India playthrough and I'm finishing up by beating up on Vijayanagar. It's super fun to completely leave a nation destitute and occupied by rebels, take one province, then go to war with their ally and have them join despite having nothing to fight against me because I have 166 aggressive expansion :allears:. Also Ming still sucks, though maybe I got unlucky with them having several top tier monarchs.

Also, have a normal 1646 europe:

extremely normal europe over here:

hey chief where can i get that map pack

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I just realized I haven't played a game long enough to get to absolutism. I guess I should fix that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spectralent posted:

The first ones seem pretty niche, apart from the AE reduction one and the colonisation one if you're a coloniser. Maybe I just usually quit before they get relevant. I'm terrible at actually finishing paradox games tbh

Age of Discovery has free war taxes which is good for anyone

e: I do agree that some times with some countries in some ages you find yourself in a situation where you find yourself with enough splendor to pick a bonus and no bonus worth picking in your specific situation, but I think there is almost always at least one bonus per age which is good for any given run. It’s more a problem for picking a second, or more likely third or even later bonus.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 25, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pog boyfriend posted:

TBARW with the white text submod, the objectively best EU4 map mod.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

pog boyfriend posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309155854
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310638421
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=297339191

When you download them, it will say the mods are out of date but just ignore that- they still work.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

e: nm I'm dumb

feller fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

TBARW with the white text submod, the objectively best EU4 map mod.

Honest question, what is it people like about white text? To me it looks absolutely godawful and I cannot even begin to comprehend the appeal of it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More legible, especially against dark colours/noisy backgrounds.

You could get the same legibility with a white outline around black text, but lol that'd probably look even worse

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Black is perfectly legible though? Unless you have a really dark monitor or something maybe idk

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Wafflecopper posted:

Black is perfectly legible though? Unless you have a really dark monitor or something maybe idk

Black on dark green isn't very legible, for instance. For light colors, dark text is great, and for dark colors, light text is great.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

Can you read any of that poo poo in northern italy?

If it was white text, you could.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could you though?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i could read it if you zoomed in, cheers

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So I decided to play Burgundy as my first EUIV Ironman game... well after 3-4 flubs I finally got through the game and got the Burgundian Conquest.

It was a pain in the rear end to get into the Empire, I had to boost up the province development of Picardy so I could move my capital... then I had to give away all my other non-empire territory to my vassals, then I declare War on England immediately surrender my capital and bam in the Empire, and shielded from France. Because when I tried to go third way... France kept rivaling and murdering me brutally.

Except the play-through I figure out how to do this I end up with a France that allied me and an Austria that hates my guts. Although France as an ally gave me a big loving stick for when Austria tried to stop me from seizing unlawful territory and they just got owned, especially since I allied Bohemia too.

It took till around 1780 because I eventually turned on France once I got the nationalism casus-beli and slowly ate them, until the amusingly only held provinces on the other side of the Pyrenees and I could finally vassalize them... and their pretty decently sized colonial Empire. Austria somehow got eaten by a Super Salzburg, which annexed all of South Germany, Switzerland and Austria and ended up in a PU under my king. It took like 50 years to integrate them and I released a vassal Austria and got the Burgundian Conquest.

Also Castille colonized the 13 colonies... the USA revolted around 1630 somehow won and expanded across the continent.

Then the age of revolutions was boring because the revolution started in the Crimean Khanate and they got crushed in a few years by Russia and the Ottomans.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

oddium posted:

i could read it if you zoomed in, cheers

Click on it to make it bigger.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I never use the culture map and so never had to read tiny text on a dark green background. If I did need to I'd zoom in a little yeah. But I've never had a problem reading the text in normal political mode or any of the map modes I use the 1% of the time I'm in something else. That said if you find the white text easier to read then power to you. Just stop posting screenshots of it and hurting my eyes, tia :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

Then the age of revolutions was boring because the revolution started in the Crimean Khanate and they got crushed in a few years by Russia and the Ottomans.

Has anyone actually had a decent revolution happen? it always seems to spawn in the weakest countries (probably because the disaster requires low prestige for god knows what reason) and just get crushed in about a decade with no fanfare. Also I never seem to be able to get it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

AnoHito posted:

Has anyone actually had a decent revolution happen? it always seems to spawn in the weakest countries (probably because the disaster requires low prestige for god knows what reason) and just get crushed in about a decade with no fanfare. Also I never seem to be able to get it.

I think they should change the triggers/modifiers so it always happens to either a great power or a nation hanging around the bubble that can actually do something with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jabor posted:

Click on it to make it bigger.

italian culture is big enough if you ask me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

spectralent posted:

The only one I'd call niche is colonization one, because it obviously does nothing for you if you're not colonizing. But it's really good if you are.

The -5 unrest state edict is great, especially in the early game when manpower is tight.
Being able to chain forge claims can be pretty useful. It lets you reach distant targets that would have otherwise required a no-CB war. Also the same ability lets you take vassals from other countries at half price, which can be very useful.
Free war taxes is amazing, if I can ever remember to actually use it.
+1 to combat rolls on your capitol's terrain is, at the very least, a bonus to defending your capitol.
The bonus to inf/cav ratio is pretty much useless though, unless you can use it to push your ratio to 100% AND you can afford to field full cavalry armies.

Typically by the end of an age I can grab most or all of the abilities, and I usually only have 3 or 4 objectives completed.

Even if you don't care about the splendor abilities themselves, it's still worth it to complete age objectives if you can, because they give you power projection. A lot of people overlook this. It makes it a lot easier to hit the 50 threshold.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Is there anything for EU4 like the miscmods scenarios? Those were fun.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Fister Roboto posted:

The only one I'd call niche is colonization one, because it obviously does nothing for you if you're not colonizing. But it's really good if you are.

The -5 unrest state edict is great, especially in the early game when manpower is tight.
Being able to chain forge claims can be pretty useful. It lets you reach distant targets that would have otherwise required a no-CB war. Also the same ability lets you take vassals from other countries at half price, which can be very useful.
Free war taxes is amazing, if I can ever remember to actually use it.
+1 to combat rolls on your capitol's terrain is, at the very least, a bonus to defending your capitol.
The bonus to inf/cav ratio is pretty much useless though, unless you can use it to push your ratio to 100% AND you can afford to field full cavalry armies.

Typically by the end of an age I can grab most or all of the abilities, and I usually only have 3 or 4 objectives completed.

Even if you don't care about the splendor abilities themselves, it's still worth it to complete age objectives if you can, because they give you power projection. A lot of people overlook this. It makes it a lot easier to hit the 50 threshold.
Yeah, if you take Exploration first and can make good use of it, the +1 tax/pro/man thing from Age of Discovery is really good. That's literally doubling the value of a 1/1/1 province. Also, if you're in Europe and can reasonably take on anyone with vassals, the transfer vassalage one allows you to pull off some great bullshit, like taking Naples as a vassal off Aragon, or sniping Muscovy's vassals. And the war taxes one is straight baller no matter what your situation, but I too forget to activate war taxes...

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

James Garfield posted:

Is there anything for EU4 like the miscmods scenarios? Those were fun.

This is very much a wip and you'd need to backdate your EU4 version to work but I'm working on updating it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303749032&searchtext=

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If I was gonna complain about an age's objectives/abilities I'd go with the reformation. It's just... so so reformation based, with NOTHING as a replacement for anyone outside it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Firebatgyro posted:

Ibadi Constantinople thats a new one

I am guessing the AI hosed up and conceded to Ibadi rebels or something, but it's pretty funny.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm colonizing/conquering the malacca and Philippines trade nodes. So far, I've just thrown every province I acquired into a trading company, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, because the provinces are very high development and if I trade-company the province I can no longer convert it. The goal is to push as much trade as possible into the Madagascar trade node.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

If I was gonna complain about an age's objectives/abilities I'd go with the reformation. It's just... so so reformation based, with NOTHING as a replacement for anyone outside it.

You’ve still got the +1 to sieges that are blockaded (which works on landlocked provinces), +90% institution spread in state religion provinces, and converting provinces giving prestige. Which I think are all useful to anyone worldwide. Though yeah, there’s definitely a case where a couple are good for anyone per age and the rest are highly specialized.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

double nine posted:

I'm colonizing/conquering the malacca and Philippines trade nodes. So far, I've just thrown every province I acquired into a trading company, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, because the provinces are very high development and if I trade-company the province I can no longer convert it. The goal is to push as much trade as possible into the Madagascar trade node.

If you don't put them in a trade company or state them they'll be stuck at 75% autonomy, which means you'll make way less money off of them. Due to the state limit it's probably better to put them in the trade company, especially since that also has the benefit of giving you an extra merchant once your trade power in that node gets big enough. If you want to convert them then you have to do it beforehand. I guess you can always take a province out of the trade company and convert it later, but it'll be next to useless for a couple of years afterwards.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So now that Ming can't Tribute absolutely everyone apparently they've found a new way to gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm thinking that they have interesting ideas about Islamic dietary restrictions.