Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Lobok posted:

I wouldn't want to be around a guy saying "yummy" to a woman and I'm a guy.

Agreed.

My point has been lost in all this. But I can tell you regular people just hear another "sexual impropriety" in the news and they dont know anymore if it means the guy was a serial rapist or he made an inappropriate joke. The headline is all the same, guy resigns in shame from his job after sexual accusations. They are all bad, but some are worse. We need to be a lot tougher on rapists, and do more to support victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

twitter sucks and canadians are poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

patonthebach posted:

The headline is all the same, guy resigns in shame from his job after sexual accusations.

So what you're saying is the system works?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I, for one, am tired of enduring the constant cat-calls from women in my office.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I, for one, am tired of enduring the constant cat-calls from women in my office.

I'm sorry, but that's just the normal background-level sexual harassment. Everyone has to deal with that, which is why it's critical to distinguish between it and say, the particularly bad sexual harassments.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

legitimate sexual harassment

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My body has a way to reject that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm also sick of grabbing hairy pussies who claw my face at work so I'm quitting my job at the cat cafe yes that's the joke.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as I think ideas like "light sexual harassment" are absurd and stupid, I think we have to recognize there's been a huge generational and cultural shift with regards to what's seen as sexual harassment and what's seen as even normal or acceptable, and perhaps everyone on what's presently just slightly on the wrong side isn't necessarily Rape Hitler.

I think we have to accept that many of them aren't necessarily acting with malicious intent, and in turn they have to accept that the culture has shifted, and, no, these victims are not simply being oversensitive or making a big deal out of nothing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It’s a shame that we haven’t found a way to deal with both sexual harassers and rapists. Society can only do one singular thing at a time at all times.

:thunk:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

JawKnee posted:

500 partners lmao

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JawKnee posted:

Report the oval office.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's important not to over react to people who only sexually harass a little. They probably don't mean to, hell, they probably don't even know they're doing it.

Sexually harassing comes as natural as breathing to some folk.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

It's important not to over react to people who only sexually harass a little. They probably don't mean to, hell, they probably don't even know they're doing it.

Last post on this topic but seriously. Do you think I should be reporting to the media, the police, or my supervisors when a woman makes a comment about how she'd like to spend time some quality time with me?

I dont in fact treat it seriously when its a 40 year old woman and I dont have any realistic fear of her forcing herself on me.

Its wrong, but its not the same as rape. K thanks.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

THC posted:

Report the oval office.

done so, not sure it'll matter given Twitter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Last post on this topic but seriously. Do you think I should be reporting to the media, the police, or my supervisors when a woman makes a comment about how shed like to spend time some quality time with me?

Nothing I've said disagrees with your statements in any way.

And yes, you probably should mention that to a supervisor or HR.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

patonthebach posted:

Last post on this topic but seriously. Do you think I should be reporting to the media, the police, or my supervisors when a woman makes a comment about how shed like to spend time some quality time with me?

I dunno dude, has society at large, and workplaces in general favored the domination of women over men to the point where it's expected of you to just deal with it, and where any internal mechanisms to handle it are token at best, and honey traps to get you fired and harassed more at worst?

Actually don't answer, just shut the gently caress up, K thanks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

patonthebach posted:

Last post on this topic but seriously. Do you think I should be reporting to the media, the police, or my supervisors when a woman makes a comment about how she'd like to spend time some quality time with me?

I dont in fact treat it seriously when its a 40 year old woman and I dont have any realistic fear of her forcing herself on me.

Keep posting, I almost have a bingo

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Unwanted advances is still sexual harassment.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PT6A posted:

As much as I think ideas like "light sexual harassment" are absurd and stupid, I think we have to recognize there's been a huge generational and cultural shift with regards to what's seen as sexual harassment and what's seen as even normal or acceptable, and perhaps everyone on what's presently just slightly on the wrong side isn't necessarily Rape Hitler.

I think we have to accept that many of them aren't necessarily acting with malicious intent, and in turn they have to accept that the culture has shifted, and, no, these victims are not simply being oversensitive or making a big deal out of nothing.

Historical relativism only goes so far. The toxic culture that such statements are symptomatic of are no less damaging to women with Such relativism in mind. Similarly, as perhaps a more clear cut example, “belief in slavery was normal back then!!!” might have some limited use in analysis of “great men” or whatever, but it does nothing to normalize or lessen the centuries of trauma inflicted on millions of bodies, and it does nothing to help us grapple with the reverberations of it carrying forward to this day.

Calling a woman yummy is extremely inappropriate in like 99% of situations and if used is pretty revealing of general attitudes. Should that person go to jail? No. Should that person be in a position of societal authority? Probably not.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 26, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Nothing I've said disagrees with your statements in any way.

And yes, you probably should mention that to a supervisor or HR.

Why not the Toronto Star?

Also if you haven't women talk like this to you in the office. You are probably super socially awkward and not accepted, or you have never had more than 25% women in the office. Its incredibly common, where its happened at multiple workplaces I've been at it. But its a very different dynamic when I'm not scared of them. Thats why there are degrees of sexual inappropriateness. All the way at the bottom from a too long look at an body and a rude joke all the way up to rape. The fact that a headline for either of those are reported the same just makes the criminal acts not taken as seriously by the public. Thats bad. We should be sentencing guys who are convicted of rape for 50 years not 2.

So TL:DR : The PC leader who is giving liquor and getting blowjobs from young interns is infinitely degrees worse than the guy in the wheelchair who made a "youre hot" joke.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 26, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

patonthebach posted:

So are you saying that the loss of one’s job is an equivalent punishment for both sexual harassment and rape? Seems like a strawman and a false equivalence.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

It happens a lot therefore it should be OK. Pack it in, folks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Before:
No consequence for sexual assault.
Consequence for rape.

Now:
Consequence for sexual assault.
Consequence for rape.

No fair! Now they are treated equally! Men are the real victims!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

So are you saying that the loss of one’s job is an equivalent punishment for both sexual harassment and rape? Seems like a strawman and a false equivalence.

Not at all. Both should not be in that working environment. I don't think its acceptable at all. You should lose your job for being violent or sexual in the workplace (no matter if harassment or sexual assault). They are both terrible.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

patonthebach posted:

Also if you haven't women talk like this to you in the office. You are probably super socially awkward and not accepted, or you have never had more than 25% women in the office. Its incredibly common, where its happened at multiple workplaces I've been at it. But its a very different dynamic when I'm not scared of them. Thats why there are degrees of sexual inappropriateness. All the way at the bottom from a too long look at an body and a rude joke all the way up to rape.

you're such a loving goof

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

Before:
No consequence for sexual assault.
Consequence for rape.

Now:
Consequence for sexual assault.
Consequence for rape.

No fair! Now they are treated equally! Men are the real victims!

Ok seriously I feel I am being egged on at this point. I agree with virtually everyone's points. Sexual assault is rape so I have no clue what you are talking about. Both should be treated incredibly seriously,because they are the same in Canada. Thanks

My whole point was about harassment. I'm done. You guys win.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawKnee posted:

you're such a loving goof

Actually, if you're not being sexually harassed by your coworkers, it's because you're ugly.

True fact.

e: C'mon everyone, stop bullying patonthebach, they're clearly a victim of workplace harassment and they need our support.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This is literally the problem -- in a lot of cases, they don't know what they're doing, or what they're in some cases advising other people to do, is sexual harassment. And while it's not okay, and it absolutely cannot be ignored, it's not really productive to treat it the same way as we would an action with clear intent.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It’s not sexual harassment because you are socially awkward and nobody likes you

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Anyone that doesnt work in IT and has actually has women in the office, you never have had a female coworker comment on your body, what they would do to you if you werent married, your smell that day, etc?

Maybe I haven't been sticking up for myself enough in my professional experience. This has been done dozens of times to me. In multiple offices. I dont appreciate it and it always made me feel sick.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

What the gently caress is going on

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm shocked that the goon who defends Patrick Kane and Louis CK is on the wrong side of this stuff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Duggler posted:

A Canpol poster is discovering that he's been the victim of harassment for years.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's really just bad timing. If Brown had waited another decade until he was a 48 year old federal cabinet minister and then started dating the 18 year old, he could have just gone on to become the most popular prime minister in history.

patonthebach posted:

Anyone that doesnt work in IT and has actually has women in the office, you never have had a female coworker comment on your body, what they would do to you if you werent married, your smell that day, etc?

Maybe I haven't been sticking up for myself enough in my professional experience. This has been done dozens of times to me. In multiple offices. I dont appreciate it and it always made me feel sick.

What about the lean over boob touch

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's really just bad timing. If Brown had waited another decade until he was a 48 year old federal cabinet minister and then started dating the 18 year old, he could have just gone on to become the most popular prime minister in history.

Just as long as he hadn't been grooming her since she was a teenager. Most he could hope for in that case is a senate seat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Yes, that's what we call "sexual harassment" and it's not okay. It's not okay when men do it, it's not okay when women do it.

There is a big generational gap when it comes to what is acceptable to do/say, and what should simply be "put up with" when you're on the receiving end. That's why we need a sustained and reasonable conversation on this issue, instead of bunch of people on one side yelling "kill the harasser" and a bunch of people on the other side yelling "you're too sensitive!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Duggler posted:

apparently it's okay to sexually harass women because if you're hot they'll do it to you too, I pinky swear

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I guess I got upset because on my facebook right now two different women shared that National Post article about how Patrick Brown got a raw deal and both of them said either "Hell ya" or "Thumbs Up" and neither are conservative idiots. They can't tell the difference anymore between legit , disgusting, hosed up sexual inappropriateness where someone was buying drinks for a kid and abusing their power in a community, or a bad joke in an office. The fact they still defend this gently caress shows they are overloaded with sexual inappropriateness stories. I hate it. This guy should be getting criminally charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What about the lean over boob touch

I always just assume that's accidental.