Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Venus has two Nazi installations: the floating aerostat and the ground-based Obercommando. That they have a ground based anything (let alone walkable suits) is, uh, wow. DY Science!

With the globe thing, there's also a readable that mentions the passage under the globe directly, so it's less bullshit than you may think if you're looking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the craft can accelerate constatnly because it's powered by magic then yeah you can use a brachistochrone trajectory which is much, much faster than traditional orbital maneuvers, but we can't do them in real life because they consume massive amounts of fuel.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

That all changes when you have constant acceleration. Yes, the Apollo missions took 3 days but that was a ballistic orbit. They were fired like a bullet and coasted the rest of the way, with the occasional course correction.

If they had accelerated at 1G all the way (with a halfway turnaround) it would only have taken 3 hours.

d=(1/2)at2, so t=√(2d/a)

With a= 1 gravity of 9.98ms-2 and t = distance from Venus to Earth of 261,000,000km (max distance)

Therefore the journey would have lasted for t=7,232 seconds or 120 hours or just a hair over 5 days.

At 3G it goes down to 2.9 days.

(these are rough calculations as I didn't factor in turnaround or orbital shenanigans)

Magic, got it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Since the US base was all about antigrav research, and one of the inventions found there was enough to make grandpa go "What the gently caress is this bullshit", I'm guessing gravity well nullification, probably coupled with some alcubierre drive like device to punt you to other planets fast. I'm a sucker for the nazi spacetech/magitek hybrid they went with this series.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

White Coke posted:

Yeah that's the next step of their plan. Maybe their reverse engineered jewish super science is already making huge improvements to the atmosphere.

There's an 'Erdumbildungslabor' - literally, German for Terraforming Laboratory - right in the video. So yeah, the Nazis are hard at work terraforming Venus.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Having the moon museum exhibit in mind from the first game, the only thing I was thinking from the second I saw the Venus model was, "When's he gonna shoot the Venus model?" So the game's urging would've caught me instantly, but I can see how it' wasn't entirely clear.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Gotta say, I love the Nazi robots. Specifically the little Mouse Droid things and the poor idiots that just run around on tracks all day. What would the ones on the tracks even do?

e: Also, if what I think is about to happen, happens, that is how people get shot/hatcheted at a baby shower (or whatever the introduction is called).

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 25, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lynneth posted:

There's an 'Erdumbildungslabor' - literally, German for Terraforming Laboratory - right in the video. So yeah, the Nazis are hard at work terraforming Venus.

I mean, if the Nazis have control over gravity, what's to stop them from making a gravity funnel from the surface all the way to space and just hoovering up all the excess atmosphere?

It would also create a loving insanely massive storm around it as the 'eye' would have a pressure approaching vacuum. Man, I wouldn't even want to be in the same hemisphere as that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That sounds like a shortsighted plan that, while it briefly gets results, also creates a massive disaster which has millennia of repercussions.

A perfect Nazi plan, in other words.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I mean, if the Nazis have control over gravity, what's to stop them from making a gravity funnel from the surface all the way to space and just hoovering up all the excess atmosphere?

It would also create a loving insanely massive storm around it as the 'eye' would have a pressure approaching vacuum. Man, I wouldn't even want to be in the same hemisphere as that.

Haha wasn't this the plot of "The day after tomorrow", where the eye of the storm was so loving huge that it reached into space and anyone who got caught in it froze to death instantly?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That sounds like a shortsighted plan that, while it briefly gets results, also creates a massive disaster which has millennia of repercussions.

A perfect Nazi plan, in other words.

They just need to finish draining the Mediterranean first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lynneth posted:

Ah I was trying to figure out what that meant and I will accept that my German is not good enough to translate "terraforming laboratory"

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Ah I was trying to figure out what that meant and I will accept that my German is not good enough to translate "terraforming laboratory"

Erd-umbildungs-labor

Earth-Rebuilding/Remodeling/Alteration-Laboratory

German gets easier once you separate the wordchains. Though I do believe terraform is used in german too, from what I'm looking at I think they just took the german wikipedia article for terraforming and snatched Erdumbildung from the description there.

Also I doubt they'd suck out all the co2, that shits valuable for getting a good sized plant population going, especially if they're gonna keep to the time line of "a couple of decades" like they were planning.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 25, 2018

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Erd-umbildungs-labor

Earth-Rebuilding/Remodeling/Alteration-Laboratory

German gets easier once you separate the wordchains. Though I do believe terraform is used in german too, from what I'm looking at I think they just took the german wikipedia article for terraforming and snatched Erdumbildung from the description there.

This.

:eng101: :ger101:

"Erdumbildung" would mean that you remodel Earth, not another planet into something Earth-like. Although maybe it's a Evil-Nazi-Plot to remodel Earth. :iiam:

Feels kind of wrong to be that picky with the game's German translations though, because the German voice-overs are far and beyond anything seen elsewhere in games.

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It just causes it to stand out even more.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Early in the LP people were saying they weren't really going to watch more because the game appeared to be dark and fatalistic. I stand by saying nothing about the shift in tone the game takes in the back 1/4 because it's a hell of a ride to that point and I didn't want to be all "BJ head on a supersoldier body gets drunk and rides a pig" because jesus, no one who hadn't played the game would have believed me. One of the things I loved about this game was that it understood it couldn't carry the tone of the previous game all the way through without being a one note deal. BJ's life sucks, we get it. That can't mean he doesn't get to have fun with his friends after a point.

There's also something I want to say about the weird pacing of the game. You get the new body and get the Obercommando board before you are basically thrust into going to Venus and then this mission. If you don't realize the end of the game is fast approaching when Grace tasks you with finding Fergus' arm you may well end up leaving a bunch of stuff on the metaphorical and literal table so far as side content is concerned. In the Subway side content video 3Toes basically admitted he hadn't done any of the Obercommando missions and his save is at the final few minutes of the game from what he told me. Grace hints that the end is near during the party speech she gives, but they never give you an indication that it is that close and that you should make your peace with god/side missions.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That portrait was touching.

I really enjoy Max Hass's portrayal in this game. It is done much better I think.

Klaus would be proud.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I missed his finished mural my first time through. It's amazing.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

That book Professor was reading. "Night of the Velvet Assassin". :allears:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So you mentioned that you might have done things out of order by approaching the Professor first. What's the way it's supposed to happen?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you have the Battle Walker before doing the Harness sidequest, can you just go through that last vent straight to the valve?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:allears: Man, now I want a hammer-and-sickle party hat.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

This is obviously a signature from the environmental artists. I could figure out 5, 6, 7 and 9, maybe 3 and 8. I can spot these Swedish names too easily.

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 26, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Oh that's what the vent under the stairs is for. I played the Wyatt timeline and not knowing how to get there driving me nuts every time I went to the hangar.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I like that Terror Billy is still wearing the party hat in the cutscene with the clarinet player.
This made me assume he was still wearing it while crawling through the poo poo tunnels.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NinetySevenA posted:

I like that Terror Billy is still wearing the party hat in the cutscene with the clarinet player.
This made me assume he was still wearing it while crawling through the poo poo tunnels.

Man, I hope BJ wears that hat for the rest of the game- after all, you can't get more festive than killing Nazis!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

"BJ head on a supersoldier body gets drunk and rides a pig"

Spoilers!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

How grace treats Sigrun is how you get a traitor.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I feel bad for the Nazi princess, she just wants some warmth in her life :smith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nalesh posted:

typical Nazis, no loyalty

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm hoping for the eleventh hour recognition here because let's not kid ourselves; entrusting such a vital step of the plan to her is a MAJOR act of trust. It's just that, well. Grace isn't not going to be Grace, that's just how she is.

As for everyone else, who knows, maybe BJ omitted the axe fight when talking about how she got on with her mom.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh,. loving hell, poor Sigrun.
I really hope that she will transcend the sins of her Mother before this is over.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nalesh posted:

Life is difficult for Sigrun again. :smith:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm surprised that Maria wasn't around to find while you were hunting for the arm.

But I was even more surprised that the arm just let you grab it without fighting back.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GunnerJ posted:

Life is difficult for Sigrun again. :smith:

So during the final mission on the Ausmerzer she's going to betray them, right?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So during the final mission on the Ausmerzer she's going to betray them, right?

I'm rooting for "it looks like it but it's actually a triple cross to prove she's not a Nazi."

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Going back a video, I'd always assumed that the Venus drop-pod bit with BJ punching technology until it works was a nod to the "he's Doomguy's ancestor" in-joke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Two Owls posted:

Going back a video, I'd always assumed that the Venus drop-pod bit with BJ punching technology until it works was a nod to the "he's Doomguy's ancestor" in-joke.

TBF Doomguy was punching the Elevator to shut up the megalomaniac robot-man who was ranting about how that elaborate sacrifice of babies was a net good for society. Not to get it to take him to the surface of mars.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, I am a bit disappointed with how the "terror-billy" powerup/ability works. Why should it slow down time? What it should do instead is have all affected NPCs freeze in horror for a short duration - I was expecting a bunch of terrified "mein gott" soundbites, but instead we just get a little bullet time.

Anyway, I am so glad about the change of tone. Although poor Sigrun is still having a bad time, and I hope she doesn't (get pissed off enough to) turn traitor again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

TBF Doomguy was punching the Elevator to shut up the megalomaniac robot-man who was ranting about how that elaborate sacrifice of babies was a net good for society. Not to get it to take him to the surface of mars.

He also gets weapon upgrade kits from robots by punching them.
And he 'fixes' the argent energy converter lenses via a quick stomp.

• Locked thread