Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

The real question will be if you can take the edict again after you capture a planet.

1) Take Edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
2) Sell planet to friend. He takes edict. Planet gets 1 space bigger.
3) Planet sold back to you. You take edict. Planet gets 1 space bigger.
4) Repeat ad infinitum

Sure it would be expensive as hell to take the edict so many times, and sure it would be super easy to code out, but god drat would it ever be hilarious.
FTFY. IIRC Wiz said it'd run into diminishing returns and bigger planets wouldn't get quite as much benefit, but still, 1 free space would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

darthbob88 posted:

FTFY. IIRC Wiz said it'd run into diminishing returns and bigger planets wouldn't get quite as much benefit, but still, 1 free space would be nice.

It sounds like it's a good way to almost guaranteed be able to get planets up to 10 or more which is going to open up a lot more planets.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Presumably the planet would get some kind of "Embiggened" modifier that persists upon changing hands, blocking any further attempts to infuse it with noble spirit.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Shugojin posted:

It sounds like it's a good way to almost guaranteed be able to get planets up to 10 or more which is going to open up a lot more planets.

Some time ago galaxy generation was adjusted so that the minimum habitable planet size that can spawn is 10, and it sounds like you'll be able to add 3 tiles to them once you take that Perk. The only time I've seen planets with less than 10 tiles spawn is when a random event creates one or you find a really lovely terraforming candidate.

Still, size 10 planets are barely worth colonizing as it is so the ability to make them bigger will be welcome. As will making bigger planets even bigger.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Glad that Mastery of Nature is changing. It's going from a 'must-have' unless you are doing a tall science build into a nice to have.

I do hope the streams will make their way onto YouTube.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
why can't i preorder apocalypse on steam

don't you want my money wiz

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Milky Moor posted:

why can't i preorder apocalypse on steam

don't you want my money wiz

You can pre-order it on paradox and give them more money and get a steam key later on anyway right

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Shugojin posted:

You can pre-order it on paradox and give them more money and get a steam key later on anyway right

Do you get the key day 1 because I really want to give wiz more monies

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyshall posted:

Do you get the key day 1 because I really want to give wiz more monies

Pretty sure you get it before Day 1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What does "Paradox version" mean?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What does "Paradox version" mean?

I assumed it was a non-steam version of the game. like download it direct from Paradox.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Give Valve the money and use Paradox's bandwidth

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PittTheElder posted:

The real question will be if you can take the edict again after you capture a planet.

1) Take Edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
2) Sell planet to friend. He takes edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
3) Planet sold back to you. You take edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
4) Repeat ad infinitum

Sure it would be expensive as hell to take the edict so many times, and sure it would be super easy to code out, but god drat would it ever be hilarious.

I am a Master of Nature.
No it is I that is the Master.
No I...

E: this is the type of poo poo that leads to hosed up events a million years later

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 26, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I am a Master of Nature.
No I...

E: this is the type of poo poo that leads to hosed up events a million years later

Sounds like we need to have some rules of nature.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want to start a new game up but I read the 2.0 changes and I'm just going to be mad I'm not playing 2.0. :(

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I want to start a new game up but I read the 2.0 changes and I'm just going to be mad I'm not playing 2.0. :(

Play the Star Trek mod until 2.0 comes out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Quick question: how do make my bio-trophies grow another pop?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GotLag posted:

Quick question: how do make my bio-trophies grow another pop?

They start with population controls on. You have to go to your species list and turn population controls off.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I am a Master of Nature.
No I...

New Stellaris event.

"We've discovered a planet that, despite seeming no larger than a standard habitable world from the outside, possesses an... interesting spatial anomoly. Our science ship reports that, upon entering the planet's atmosphere, the world could only be described as 'gargantuan' and 'blatantly impossible'."

Size 419 world discovered.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ABen posted:

1 month off - February 22.

fuuuuck yeah this is about 6 weeks earlier than my most optimistic guesses! pre-order placed enjoy the dosh wiz & co.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Having an odd bug here, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to deal with it. It's late in the game, and the Prethoryn have shown up. I'm kicking their ugly asses, but one of their fleets sneaks past and bombards/invades a vassal's planet. I send a fleet with transports to retake it, and while we're fighting the pops all die, transforming the planet into a scourge-infested world. All of the armies stay on the planet, though; a few weeks later, I get a message that we've occupied the planet, and most of the armies return to space, leaving behind a "garrison" that I cannot control. I can't bombard the planet, either, since it's considered occupied. The Prethoryn seem uninterested in retaking it (they even built some of their bases in the system, so they apparently don't see a problem), so there's nothing I can do with that planet as far as I can tell.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Any ideas about how to fix it? I'm guessing that, even if I cleanse the Scourge from the rest of the galaxy, that planet will remain, meaning I can never actually defeat the crisis. Haven't gotten to that point yet, however.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah obviously otherwise RIP wrists. They'll do some stupid stuff with them sometimes but lesser of two evils etc.
I wonder if nuking a planet's moon has any effect. Be a great show of force, blowing up the moon but leaving the planet intact to deal with messed up tides and continual meteor strikes. "We could have destroyed you. Instead we educated you. It would be best if the lesson ended here."

You just described a bit from Stanislaw Lem's novel "Fiasco". Highly recommended reading.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Presumably the planet would get some kind of "Embiggened" modifier that persists upon changing hands, blocking any further attempts to infuse it with noble spirit.

Nonsense, swapping planets back and forth is a perfectly cromulent strategy!

IAmTheRad posted:

Knowing the release date gives me optimism that this month is going to be full of the bugfixing of the major bugs coming with 2.0.

Technically since everything is changing, is this just Stellaris 2 on the Stellaris 1 engine?

It's a pretty huge shift yeah, demonstrated by going from 1.9 to 2.0 instead of 1.10. Hell CK2 has been out for six years (loving christ) and is on like 2.7 or something, and EU4 has been out four or five years and is on 1.25. They don't move out of 1.x lightly, is my point!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'm super excited for Apocalypse after that trailer. Gonna go back and play some United Nations of Earth when it comes out.

If I have the game through Steam, can I purchase and pre-order from Paradox? I gotta give them my money now.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 26, 2018

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yes, you get a Steam key when the DLC releases.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jwalrus posted:

Having an odd bug here, and I'm hoping someone can give me advice on how to deal with it. It's late in the game, and the Prethoryn have shown up. I'm kicking their ugly asses, but one of their fleets sneaks past and bombards/invades a vassal's planet. I send a fleet with transports to retake it, and while we're fighting the pops all die, transforming the planet into a scourge-infested world. All of the armies stay on the planet, though; a few weeks later, I get a message that we've occupied the planet, and most of the armies return to space, leaving behind a "garrison" that I cannot control. I can't bombard the planet, either, since it's considered occupied. The Prethoryn seem uninterested in retaking it (they even built some of their bases in the system, so they apparently don't see a problem), so there's nothing I can do with that planet as far as I can tell.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Any ideas about how to fix it? I'm guessing that, even if I cleanse the Scourge from the rest of the galaxy, that planet will remain, meaning I can never actually defeat the crisis. Haven't gotten to that point yet, however.

You could try to keep that save around until Apocalypse drops, and then try to blow it up. Doesn't work if your save breaks due to the update, of course. :v:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
No old save is going to survive Apocalypse, appropriately enough.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aw, they took out ground unit attachments? I liked giving my elite soldiers a little extra.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i took like clicking 9000 times over the course of a half hour to make it so that my invading army will win easily instead of win easily like they normally do

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Aw, they took out ground unit attachments? I liked giving my elite soldiers a little extra.

They still exist, just as buffs to particular troop types you can research, I believe.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

turn off the TV posted:

Just lol if your spaceships have crews in the year of our lord 2300.

Weaponized AI has been outlawed on Earth in 2300 after a several tragedies causing huge civilian casualties, remote controlling spaceships from a flagship have been deemed impractical because of the risk involved in having all operators located in just one or two controller ships, and controlling them from further away is impossible because of the delay induced by the fighting taking place over an area spanning several light seconds to light minutes :science:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 26, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

THE BAR posted:

Attaching Jedi to your armies was kinda fun, but individually attaching each and every army with their special sauce was bullshit.

And it made no difference because either you invade with utterly overwhelming force, or you didn't invade at all.

AG3 posted:

Weaponized AI has been outlawed on Earth in 2300 after a several tragedies causing huge civilian casualties, remote controlling spaceships from a flagship have been deemed impractical because of the risk involved in having all operators located in just one or two controller ships, and controlling them from further away is impossible because of the delay induced by the fighting taking place over an area spanning several light seconds to light minutes :science:

Please see The Lost Fleet series for an exploration into this subject.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I know they were completely superfluous, especially when you could always overwhelm your opponent with that weird damage boost against defending units. I never understood why that was a thing.

Aethernet posted:

They still exist, just as buffs to particular troop types you can research, I believe.

But yeah, this is fine.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tomn posted:

Please see The Lost Fleet series for an exploration into this subject.

Do you have a TL;DR? :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AG3 posted:

Do you have a TL;DR? :v:

Spoilers, obviously:

After a massive, near-eternal WW1-in-space hellwar that has left both sides completely exhausted, the more-or-less victorious and more-or-less democratic Alliance finds themselves with a problem - the long war has led to widespread distrust in civilian leadership both in the populace at large and in the military itself, and for the last few years of the war there have been constant fears of a military coup. This problem has not been improved any since the victory was due to the efforts of an officer who had achieved near-legendary status for various reasons, and despite his constant insistence that he has no interest in political leadership many still fear he'll become dictator - or be forced to become one by zealous officers. The solution the Senate ended up adopting after much wrangling and dispute? Create a hypermodern AI-controlled fleet that answers only to the government and whose loyalty can thus be totally relied upon.

Turns out programming is harder than it sounds and bugs in the code end up causing the fleet to go rogue and randomly attack pretty much anything while not allowing anyone to get close enough to bugfix them. Note that we're not talking about AI with personalities, we're talking patch notes from Sword of the Stars 2 only applied to battlefleet decision-making.

Also it's unrelated to the AI subplot specifically, but the fact that it takes minutes or even hours for orders to be transmitted from one ship to another is a constant and important factor throughout the books.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 26, 2018

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I prefer AI War

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So I decided to fire up a one planet strategy run as a race of deeply curious space mantis shrimp who just really likes their home ocean and never saw any need to physically go anywhere else, instead sending drones to do all of their work for them. It's going super well, I've got a couple of the galaxies arms under the thrall of my mantis shrimp exclusive economic zone, and I'm building my science Nexus now. Except just now, in the territory of my slightly hostile neighbor, Sol decided to spawn a newly space capable Human Interstellar Republic. Who immediately asked to be my Protectorate since my mantis shrimp are egalitarian and charismatic. :3:

I can only assume the mantis shrimp think these hairless monkeys are incredibly adorable, and plan to conquer the stars on their behalf. For you, adorable monkey pets, we will leave our oceans. Step one, let's arrange for some of those nasty authoritarian space bird planets to change hands...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Might be because I've just started playing as one, but that sounds like a job for a Rogue Servitor.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There is a depressingly large number of people who don't realize that there's a difference between Stellaris patch 2.0 and Stellaris 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Stellaris 2 is going to be really good. I heard it'll be a first person game, you'll be able to walk on and fly the spaceships you build

• Locked thread