Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

I really want to live in the world this dude lives in, the literal embodiment of rose colored glasses

Apparently you can buy that world for $50k+.

I mean, I'm assuming that's what he's paying for. Lord knows none of the poo poo CIG has sold him so far is worth even 1% of that amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Polish Helmets (13 tasks)

The inevitable consequence of rubbing

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let's see, so at the end of Q1 2018 they're going to...

Have Customizable Characters (100 tasks)
Polish Helmets (13 tasks)
"Improve" Planetary Generation Tech (1 task)
"Improve" the Flight Control System (1 task)
"Improve" the Personal Manager (1 task)
Balance Weapons (2 tasks)
Overhaul Ship Damage (4 tasks)
Convert Ship AI to Subsumption (62 tasks)
Implement Aegis Reclaimer (56 tasks)
Implement Anvil Terrapin (39 tasks)
Implement MISC Razor (39 tasks)
Implement Tumbril Cyclone (38 tasks)
Implement Ship Weapon: Preacher Distortion Shotgun (29 tasks)
Implement Personal Weapon: Gemini R97 Shotgun (29 tasks)
Improve Netcode (10 tasks)
Optimize Performance (36 tasks)

Let's be clear about this. They've put more thought into laying out how to polish the loving helmets than they have for improving netcode. It takes the same number of tasks to implement a glorified off-road golf cart than it does to implement a multi-crew ships. They have 100 tasks to implement customization of characters but only 3 tasks combined to improve planetary generation, improve the flight system (their core gameplay element), and improve the user interface.

At this point anyone who reads that and doesn't immediate register that it's a giant pile of steaming bullshit deserves to be loving scammed.

Say what you will about CIG, but they're great at bike-shedding the project.

dang.

I feel vicarious embarrassment. Fremdschämen.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 26, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7t2lmc/f8_f8_for_cash_rstarcitizens_of_the_past_expound/

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

hello this is robert space

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Star Citizen in 2016 2017 2018
Winners: Ships
Losers: Everything else

No wonder:

Prepare for denied refunds.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Godspeed Mark E Smith you beautiful crazy bastard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKXYeRCUzI

Just read that over at http://www.andys80s.com/index.php

He was an angry prick, but some of the music from the fall I didn't mind

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Star Citizer

...sorry, I signed the TOS to a different game :colbert:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I think you'll find that we are Rabbirt Spays Industries, developing a game called Scar Critizer on Armazon's Limberyarn Engine. No quim per cui, therefore case dismissed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Virtual Captain posted:

No wonder:

Prepare for denied refunds.
Alpha PU is clearly being lined up as the MVP in this.

CIG/RSI: "But we've delivered it, you can use it NOW in the PU!"
Player: "But my character is stuck as a ball of light, I can't do poo poo!"
CIG/RSI: "That'll be a $5 fee to restore your account, thank you."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizer > Roberts Pace Indus Trees

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

:five::allears::five:

my aching heart yearns for more G0RF. Never stop posting.

Ha, well I do have an interesting (to me) bit of research to drop — I’m hoping tomorrow gives me the final data point I need to make it. If it doesn’t come out tomorrow I’ll wait because it’s going to pretty soon.

In the meantime, since your heart was aching, here is a post that I started as a reply on the Lando “Developer” discussion. I fell asleep writing as I neared the end — a great sign, right? :lol: When I finished it the next morning the thread had moved on. It stayed in the notepad with all the other apocrypha.

I’m pasting it in anyway in part because Rechtschaffner rocks.

PederP posted:

As game developer, I neither have a problem with nor find any fault with Lando calling himself a developer. There's a lot of developers out there who are neither programmers nor artists/content creators. They may not even fit the somewhat vague and overly broad "game designer" category (which covers everything from level designers doing very production-oriented work to dreamers sitting in ivory towers and making a "vision" for the project).

At this point, I tend to discount most of what Lando says due to my overfamiliarity with his public record. I find him gratingly deferential to and defensive of systemic dysfunctions of CIG’s development processes, brokenness hard-coded into the corporate culture by the Code Whisperer himself.

Exhibit A.

That being said, I agree with your broader point. It actually reminded me of something I’d wanted to drop in the thread that I’d neglected to before. Sorry it turned into a big wall of text but it’s partly in praise of a not especially well-known Game Designer that fits the profile of genius outsider so well. With little development experience but perfect gaming instincts and the holistic view of a smart generalist, he created two absolute masterpieces that still can put a lot of modern titles to shame.

I personally consider SSX Tricky and SSX 3 two of the most wonderfully exuberant console titles in the last two decades. If someone asked me to make a list of funnest games ever made, Tricky is a Top 5 certainty and SSX 3 is probably a Top 10. And they're still great even measured against today’s standards for greatness. But in their own time, they were the practical equivalent of magic, because though I was not young when I played them, to play them re-summoned every bit of the joys of early gameplay experiences.

They were the very definition of “wonderful” to me because they filled me with wonder to play them— “wow, I wonder how it would really feel to jump right off a cliff? I wonder how they made that map so huge? I wonder how many stunts I can perform before I hit that rail? I wonder if I can boost off that building to that UFO? I wonder where they came up with all these wonderful characters? I wonder—“

These two gems were the brainchild of industry outsider Steve Rechtschaffner. The name Rechtschaffner isn’t in many pantheons of gaming gods like Carmack, Miyamoto, or Meier. (Admittedly it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue but even if his birth name was “Johnny Funboy” he’d probably still be an outsider...)

US Gamer did a great recent profile / interview of him that fleshed out a lot of details I’d not read before and had me smiling just to read.

He had as an improbable a career track to gaming greatness as any person I can think of — World Cup Skier, early Swatch marketing guy, ad director / TV producer then — Game Designer. He got a foot in the door at a young EA, pitched and helmed a baseball title Triple Play Baseball that proved quite successful, then had the cachet to greenlight his real passion project, SSX.

I think I appreciate his arc all the more having become, as so many of us are, a practical historian of the dysfunctions of Cloud Imperium Games under Chris Roberts leadership. Because he intuitively understood and still understands what Roberts forgot decades ago.

I won’t post the whole piece here; even some select sound bites convey so perfectly the values and priorities of what is to me a true-blooded, native “Fun” speaking Game Designer.

quote:

"Having always been involved with action sports as an interest, I worked with skateboarders, snowboarders in the past, been a skier, I just loved that sort of thing and thought it was underserved in the game space," says Rechtschaffner. "I started working on building an engine that could create a convincing snowboard experience. My approach to the whole thing was trying to build it at an arcade or Nintendo-level quality, and really making it about fun, not about being a simulation. But having great physics and control, things that anybody could pick up and play but it would be hard to really master the game."

His vision for the individual gameplay experience — “Fun” over simulated realism, a novice friendly skill curve with an opportunity for mastery, the recognition of physics and controls as essential to not subordinating of the play experience, it’s all right there in a series of value propositions for an experience he wants the game to create. The engine itself was created with those express values in mind by a team of experts working for a Visionary to create wonderful gameplay.

Later, addressing other titles that started getting greenlit under their new EA Sport BIG brand:

quote:

"I could see that some of the games were looking really cool, but they hadn't figured out the physics and the gameplay,” he says. “And so people got excited when they got shown a demo video. They went 'that's great, let's commit, let's do it' but I could see it wasn't actually fun yet and didn't feel right yet. The problem was people would start building a game before they really had the core of it really nailed. So that happened in a couple of games."

It’s that same hard-wiring of Meier or Miyamoto. “Is it fun? Neat to watch is nice but is it fun to play?”

It sounds so obvious, so mundane, and it should be yet Roberts has spent the last five years showing just how fantastically the obvious can elude the detection of a self-described lifelong Game Designer.

Yes Chris, neat to watch is nice and surely no one had more Fun than you did at CitizenCon 2016, a game trailer Director soaking in the roar of the crowd as they watched the Homestead demo reach its climax. We know this is true because your own people told us so as they celebrated the trials and triumphs of the event.

Yes Chris, your assets have some scary high polycounts and you surely had a blast micromanaging every last detail as you designed, redesigned, revamped and repolished each iteration. You told us as much yourself only a week ago without a moment’s hesitation like the Spaceship Salesman you truly are and have been since the public first bought the pitch of the Game Designer you’re truly not anymore.

You’ve been given more money, time, and freedom than any designer in history to make exactly the kind of game you’ve supposedly dreamed of making all your life. Yet it isn’t enough because it can never be enough when the Director in you cares so much more about the Look than the Play of a game. When the Salesman in you cherishes your assets like treasures yet treats your mechanics like so much trash. Do you really think 5 Million PCMR natives are dying to play that?

Yes, it’s neat to watch. But is it fun? Fun to play?

I’m sorry, man, but even your biggest customers and most devoted fans know it’s not yet. And your on year sixIn fact, what little game design exists in the game works against basic, commonsense principles of fun. You can preen and pose and tell yourself and the world you're another Miyamoto playing at the Rockstar level, tell the crowds you can fit all of Skyrim in some empty crater — it just doesn’t matter. Your game keeps talking over you and it says it’s a $180 Million pre-Alpha screenshot generator directed by a spaceship salesman who forgot to bring the Fun.

In fact, the only sense of wonder I feel at the sight of it is “I wonder how much longer he can get away with this?”

(Sorry for the :words: bomb everyone. Lord knows we’ve all written novels here about a bad Game Designer so hopefully a little novella about one good, lesser known one won’t throw off the thread mojo...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 26, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Magnificent. Awe-inspiring.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Zzr posted:

You asked my alt and another of my alt answered you. If you can't keep the count of them, get a SA refund.

I concur.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

no_recall posted:

So, Elite dropped 3.0 a month late.

How do you figure it's late? 3.0 was always touted as being Q1 2018 which is Jan-Mar 2018. It's still Jan and they've released the beta, so it could only be considered late if they fail to release the full thing in 2 months time (unlikely).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Bad typo, seems the new TOS kinda ate my "r".

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

How many people in this thread knew about this story before this post?

I didn't. I didn't know kotaku and polygon before reading this thread either. Pixelemonade has me covered in all the sort of news I'm interested for a long time now.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
What story? What quotes?

Asking for a friend.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

Magnificent. Awe-inspiring.

I really love those games! They’re arcadey I know but in the very best of the tradition.

I know invoking them in discussions about Star Citizen might imply I’m suggesting SC needs to be dumbed down. It’s really not that; they need to be Funned Up.

Space Sims don’t have to be joyless slogs with repetitve mandatory time sinks turning the thrills of space into the drudgery of it. Elite has perfected that yet still at least got the physics, game controls and sound design so beautifully right. It’s even thrilling until the repetition and visibility of the RNG eventually intrudes and never goes away again.

You’d think the guy who made the pretty fun at the time Wing Commander would have as good a chance as any to make a fun Space Sim. He pitched it that way and convincingly all those year ago. I guess I just didn’t realize at the time that it was the pitching he really loved and it’s never really stopped, even as the fun in his game has yet to begin.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fun is the difference between goons and citizens, they have no idea what it is and think it's something you can buy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
As it's a single seat spaceship the F8 Lightning should be less than $1000 and giftable via the RSI pledge system (CIG doesn't let you gift anything over $1000 due to something to do with US money laundering rules). Therefore I'm wondering if these Concierge super backers can buy more than one and then sell them via gifting to other players.

This may be an attempt to create a new 2nd hand ship market similar to the original 2013 LTI gifting frenzy, only backers are now aware that CIG resists refunding gifted ships.

I still think CIG will eventually sell the ship to everyone as otherwise it's leaving money on the table, however in the short term the F8 might discourage refunds from the mega whales.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
AHahahahah, I'm so loving happy they are "selling" the F8 Lightning as a Wing Commander perk. That's such a genius way to push their whales up to 10k a piece.

The only thing better is all the Citizen Cultists who are now defending it with "Oh well it's not selling the Lightning, they are giving WC's a civilian variant, it's not the same at all".

Right.......like the Super Hornet not being a military variant. Hey which ship has absolutely dominated the game now since it was flyable? I loving love fanboys.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Anyone seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAX1rJv0X9k&t=1764s

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

AP posted:

Therefore I'm wondering if these Concierge super backers can buy more than one and then sell them via gifting to other players.

Is it bought? All of the other concierge perks are account attributed, I never made it to Wing Commander so I'm not sure, but all of the other ones up to Space Marshall are just "there".

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Holy poo poo. That is amazing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

None of this applies to the old TOSsers, right?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's a little late for that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

FailureToReport posted:

Is it bought? All of the other concierge perks are account attributed, I never made it to Wing Commander so I'm not sure, but all of the other ones up to Space Marshall are just "there".

Dunno yet, not seen screenshots, the ability to buy a Javelin is a concierge reward.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:laffo: :lol: forever

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

AP posted:

Dunno yet, not seen screenshots, the ability to buy a Javelin is a concierge reward.

From what I can see, which could just be a result of the rest of the site not being finished, all of the other Concierge reward tiers don't show up in your hangar, only on the "Keep Pledging!" checklist. I don't know any Wing Commanders to ask, but I guess we will see if this one is different, but the wording doesn't seem to indicate you need to purchase the Lightning, so I'm making an rear end of myself and assuming it's going to function like the other concierge rewards.

Edit: I think they'll probably "give" it to the Wing Commander backers, if you had to purchase it and it was $1k or less, the usual 10k+ backers might grab one, but how many of those are left? If you leave it as a free reward, you're enticing your gambling addict (errr, space ship jpeg pokemon collecting addicts) to push themselves up to the $10k mark, and I'd wager they have a lot of $5k~ backers left who haven't felt a reason to open their wallet much anymore.

FailureToReport fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 26, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

FailureToReport posted:

From what I can see, which could just be a result of the rest of the site not being finished, all of the other Concierge reward tiers don't show up in your hangar, only on the "Keep Pledging!" checklist. I don't know any Wing Commanders to ask, but I guess we will see if this one is different, but the wording doesn't seem to indicate you need to purchase the Lightning, so I'm making an rear end of myself and assuming it's going to function like the other concierge rewards.

You're probably right, I just tend to speculate on what the shittiest marketing reason might be for whatever lovely thing CIG might currently be doing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Eternity is a long time!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

:lol::vince::lol:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

DapperDon posted:

I agree. Especially when I can literally point to my shop and explain how those things are done they double down and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It's a shame your in the states, I'm about to start looking for someone to do some speaker cabinet prototypes.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo. :laffo: this is the best.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Seems... Ironclad? Let's rub!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

big nipples big life posted:

So wait, if Squadron 42 is like the tutorial for SC and your progress carries over, how do they reconcile having a female avatar in SC?

I never even thought of that, that's loving great. And it's not even something they can easily fix, because there's no way Chris would accept a story where the ace pilot is a woman who is treated the same as a male ace pilot. He'd have to write a whole new storyline where she gets saved from the vanduul at the last minute by the handsome wing commander Cross Ribberts.