Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Thundercloud posted:

The possibility that the exploits Tau players found in the index (armies with 9 commanders to abuse character rules) will get closed.

Good. It’s a dumb list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Favourite comment is that there’s a Commander on the cover and there was a Tyranid Warrior on the front of the 7th edition codex and look what happened to them.

Tempted to sell my Tau so people don’t think I’m on of those people.

Do it, Tau players are garbage

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I feel like the barometer for tau player badness is the proportion of suits to non-suits in their list, c/d?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Do it, Tau players are garbage

I had no idea when I picked them up. They weren’t even a faction when I last played 40k. I just liked the stompy big robots and drones. People give me ‘that’ look when I tell them I play Tau

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Forums Terrorist posted:

I feel like the barometer for tau player badness is the proportion of suits to non-suits in their list, c/d?

Number of commanders with triple fusion.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tau have never been cool, and are in fact for dumb buttheads.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tau and Necrons are the only two factions I have no desire to play, and I'm flexible on the Necrons.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The only thing worse than whining Tau players is whining Tau haters.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I think Tau players have replaced perfidious eldar players as the people everyone dunks on. Though after Riptide wing plus wraithknights plus eldrad being a standard army build in 7th they are often the same people.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tau are rad.

Tau players might be not rad.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I just wanna have fun running around with robutts, is that too much to ask. :saddowns:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R0ckfish posted:

I just wanna have fun running around with robutts, is that too much to ask. :saddowns:

Good news, now there are baby knights to go with regular knights to fulfill all your robot needs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

R0ckfish posted:

Ad Mech are your calling.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
But I like tau robutt models, don't really like knights or ad mach stuff too grebaly to me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Run Gundams instead. :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Maybe I should go back to my first army, Dark Eldar

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I am pretty sure people will hate that more, and I play at GW as it is the only store less then a hour away so rip.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

But I like tau robutt models, don't really like knights or ad mach stuff too grebaly to me.

Play Tau, gently caress it. Run big rowbutts. Just do not be a dick.

I loving hate the Tau, which is a shame as they are a cool designed army and some good lore. But jesus christ are the players awful.

Not all of them but.. a lot of them. And what was worse, 6/7th edition made them worse.

Its like they got the smug Tau trope/meme from 1D4chan and owned it while their army was top tier.

Which is why all the butt hurt this edition is loving hilarious and schadenfreude defined.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 26, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

This is exciting. Definitely getting a couple of baby Knights, and I was just thinking 'what if instead of getting a new army you played your loving Dark Eldar for a bit instead?' and now there's a book. Awesome.

Also Orks are gonna be the last book released lol, poor green boys.

The last set of rumors, which today's news verified, had Space Wolves being the last to get a codex update.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
It just feels super weird to me as I joined right at the end of 7th and bought the models I always wanted as a kid. I don't think I actually played a proper game in 7th, and then when 8th came out I finally had enough stuff to start playing followed by being curb stomped game after game. I know a lot of it is that I am poo poo at game and don't have meta units but I have played maybe 45 or 50 games of tau since 8th came out I have won 3 or 4? It is really disappointing to be told continuously how much of a bunch of assholes your faction is and to stop whining about them being weak when I just want to use a bunch of stuff I find cool while having some chance of winning. I don't want to buy and spam commanders, I want to use broadsides and breacher teams and poo poo without actively knowing that I am taking flat out garbage units that always end up being so pointless they just get ignored.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

It just feels super weird to me as I joined right at the end of 7th and bought the models I always wanted as a kid. I don't think I actually played a proper game in 7th, and then when 8th came out I finally had enough stuff to start playing followed by being curb stomped game after game. I know a lot of it is that I am poo poo at game and don't have meta units but I have played maybe 45 or 50 games of tau since 8th came out I have won 3 or 4? It is really disappointing to be told continuously how much of a bunch of assholes your faction is and to stop whining about them being weak when I just want to use a bunch of stuff I find cool while having some chance of winning. I don't want to buy and spam commanders, I want to use broadsides and breacher teams and poo poo without actively knowing that I am taking flat out garbage units that always end up being so pointless they just get ignored.

It sucks I know, but the Tau will get a boost when the codex comes out. Sure commanders are being nerfed but I can see everything else getting a boost.

Its unfortunate as your getting the hangover without even going to the party. Tau were that dominant in my local meta, them and eldar for over much of 6/7th Ed were the only factions played.

This was further exasibated by the poo poo show that was 6/7th edition (it was a long horrible time that drove soooooooo many players from the hobby).

The Tau will come back into vogue again, but I'm not surprised that GW nerfed Tau so much, as asides from keeping one fan base happy, Tau contributed in driving the rest away.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 26, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

The last set of rumors, which today's news verified, had Space Wolves being the last to get a codex update.
Looks like Wolves in the summer and Orks at Xmas:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Robots and space communism are cool, shame about powergamers and weeb dorks.

I think, on the unfair side, they got a bad rep for being the only non-UBER GRIMDERK faction during the dark ages of GW. It's a bit balanced now that they're progressing the storyline slightly rather than looking for new avenues of suffering and/or ways to put spice mariners in baby carriers, though.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 26, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Orks still strong meta wise or have they been kicked back to joke army tier by codex armies?

I hope not, orks had a hell of a time.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Xmas is bullshit. They'll have every book out by midsummer unless they've completely lost their minds. Can believe there'll be a Christmas campaign release with a Kult of Speed focus though.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Orks still strong meta wise or have they been kicked back to joke army tier by codex armies?

I hope not, orks had a hell of a time.

I feel like they're still strong, just one dimensional

if you don't want to run Da Jump-ing Boyz you're going to have a bad time (also why does Safari autocapitalise Boyz????)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Xmas is bullshit. They'll have every book out by midsummer unless they've completely lost their minds. Can believe there'll be a Christmas campaign release with a Kult of Speed focus though.

I think Gw are dropping the ball on Orks. They are a fan favourites and suffered one of the worst in 6/7th Ed. They should be getting a new codex front and centre rather than kicking it down the curb to xmas.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It sucks I know, but the Tau will get a boost when the codex comes out. Sure commanders are being nerfed but I can see everything else getting a boost.

Its unfortunate as your getting the hangover without even going to the party. Tau were that dominant in my local meta, them and eldar for over much of 6/7th Ed were the only factions played.

This was further exasibated by the poo poo show that was 6/7th edition (it was a long horrible time that drove soooooooo many players from the hobby).

The Tau will come back into vogue again, but I'm not surprised that GW nerfed Tau so much, as asides from keeping one fan base happy, Tau contributed in driving the rest away.

Rationally, I know that they the chances of them just dumpstering tau are tiny and not even worth considering, but the fear is there. At the same time I fear the stupid stigma, if tau are even decent bot even necessarily good am I gonna be bitched at again for daring to want to play them? It seems so weird that people locally are fine with guard sitting in static gun lines, but tau doing the same thing sends them into a froth even as they are curb stomping the ever loving poo poo out of them. I have seen and been a part of games where tau get boarded turn 2-3 having done maybe 400 points worth of damage. It is just bizarre and irrational to me

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 26, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I think Gw are dropping the ball on Orks. They are a fan favourites and suffered one of the worst in 6/7th Ed. They should be getting a new codex front and centre rather than kicking it down the curb to xmas.

My feeling is that Orks and Space Wolves are being kept back so that there's a couple of 'major' codexes released at the end instead of trying to get people excited for 'Codex: Xenos Sidefaction with 3 Models.' Which is a sensible strategy, but hard to get right when players are understandably impatient at their army being left behind.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

Rationally, I know that they the chances of them just dumpstering tau are tiny and not even worth considering, but the fear is there. At the same time I fear the stupid stigma, if tau are even decent bot even necessarily good am I gonna be bitched at again for daring to want to play them? It seems so weird that people locally are fine with guard sitting in static gun lines, but tau doing the same thing sends them into a froth even as they are curb stomping the ever loving poo poo out of them. I have seen and been a part of games where tau get boarded turn 2-3 having done maybe 400 points worth of damage.

My own personal butt hurt asides, play Tau and enjoy. The real big problem with 40k is its fan base. There are lots of poo poo heads but also so gems of people. Collect the gems, flush the shits.

Don't worry Gw are just doing a rebalance it will go your way in time (old player said this years ago and he was right in the end).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's going to be Space Wolves and Orks because they're the two armies I collect. :v:

Corrode posted:

My feeling is that Orks and Space Wolves are being kept back so that there's a couple of 'major' codexes released at the end instead of trying to get people excited for 'Codex: Xenos Sidefaction with 3 Models.' Which is a sensible strategy, but hard to get right when players are understandably impatient at their army being left behind.

In all honesty, I think it's a model thing. The Space Wolves and Ork models are mostly all 10+ year old kit at this point, and both have a number of units that just flatly don't have models. If they want to do new releases, on top of all the new stuff for AoS, they have a window limited by how fast they can pump out new stuff.

I'm also cool with a delay on the Orks so I can finish my Wolves force before I go back into months of converting models to be sufficiently Orky.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 26, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Orks and Wolves are likely being kept back to get decent model releases. There was a rumour engine pic last year that is very likely to be an Ork vehicle, and would anyone bet against seeing Russ at some point?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

R0ckfish posted:

This is exactly me and why I shelved my Tau and bought World Eaters. I got my Tau out of retirement last week to play my mates first game with his Dark Angels and I did OK but lost in the end Ina reasonably close game. I don't play commander spam although I was slightly cheese and used an Y'Havra (n my defence I purchased it from China before the rules were leaked and have never used it).
Tau aren't in a good place index wise, a lot of their stuff is over priced and without any tricksy stratagems they get out played by codex factions to quite a considerable degree

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, basically a more optimistic interpretation of that. The idea being that you can't kill them, but you can reform them by reforming their image and attributing positive iterations of their chosen domain to them.

Here's a question:

What is Isha but a relentlessly positive version of Nurgle?

Same with Cegorach and Tzeentsh, Khaine and Khorne, and arguably Ynnead and Slaanesh.

I think the Eldar know exactly how this poo poo works and have been weaponizing it for millennia. It's why their aspect warriors are all basically Khorne cultists who can, with careful management and a lot of ritual, pull out of blood-slaughter-kill and go back to being bakers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

It's going to be Space Wolves and Orks because they're the two armies I collect. :v:

In all honesty, I think it's a model thing. The Space Wolves and Ork models are mostly all 10+ year old kit at this point, and both have a number of units that just flatly don't have models. If they want to do new releases, on top of all the new stuff for AoS, they have a window limited by how fast they can pump out new stuff.

I'm also cool with a delay on the Orks so I can finish my Wolves force before I go back into months of converting models to be sufficiently Orky.

I'm hopeful it's this. I'd like to see more model releases for older factions rather than outright new ones.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thanqol posted:

Here's a question:

What is Isha but a relentlessly positive version of Nurgle?

Same with Cegorach and Tzeentsh, Khaine and Khorne, and arguably Ynnead and Slaanesh.

I think the Eldar know exactly how this poo poo works and have been weaponizing it for millennia. It's why their aspect warriors are all basically Khorne cultists who can, with careful management and a lot of ritual, pull out of blood-slaughter-kill and go back to being bakers.

I think it would make for a neat story where some radical chaos eldar are trying to warn Nurgle that Isha is telling her followers cure for diseases behind his back, and it turning out that he already knows and is part of the reason he loves her; he's not the god of mindless destruction moreso than stagnation, and it wouldn't be any fun for him if any of his diseases managed to kill everyone for good. On the "two sides of the same coin" note, perhaps Isha could even have stockholm for Nurgle, having seen him create endlessly elaborate parasitic 'life'.

Could even toss in a bit about Tzeentch having aided in 'saving' her from Slaanesh because the endless cycle of diseases and cures manages to be one of the few areas up both his and Nurgle's alley.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 26, 2018

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

confirmed based on anecdotal evidence, my other roommate plays mostly kroots and is an excellent dude

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JM4UJBSC5/elvis-preslaanesh-lvo-2018-limited-edition-kit?optionId=64636521

Hell yeah.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
which thread should I ask and discuss the new black library books that have come out in the last couple of months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

which thread should I ask and discuss the new black library books that have come out in the last couple of months?

The Black Library thread over at TBB.