Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Found my escaped Tokay the fridge too. It's a pretty good spot. His mate on the other hand when she managed to jump so hard that it knocked her door off, she just hid in the closet 2 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So kinda weird question but how "quickly" do pacman frogs poop? I am noticing that my little dude is getting kinda a weird little "tail" and is completely uninterested in eating (to the point where roaches I put in literally walk over top of him unperturbed as they wander around before burrowing into the soil). Should I maybe try feeding outside the tank?

Also finally got some pictures to show ya'll...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Crazyeyes posted:

So kinda weird question but how "quickly" do pacman frogs poop? I am noticing that my little dude is getting kinda a weird little "tail" and is completely uninterested in eating (to the point where roaches I put in literally walk over top of him unperturbed as they wander around before burrowing into the soil). Should I maybe try feeding outside the tank?

Also finally got some pictures to show ya'll...

I'm no expert but there was a youtube vid where a keeper had a problem with their pacman's anus prolapsing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Welp, bought a new batch of 250 cricks. This time I'm using a layer of cocofiber and springtails and hoping for the best, in terms of smell.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Welp, bought a new batch of 250 cricks. This time I'm using a layer of cocofiber and springtails and hoping for the best, in terms of smell.

You'd probably be better off starting a roach colony.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Found the missing snake. He is now pissed in his 40 gallon tank.

One of my mom's cats found him, wouldn't go near him, and acted out enough my mom saw, and was able to rescue the snake before a more aggressive cat saw.

Thank every snake god ever.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The Midgard serpent protects

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

You'd probably be better off starting a roach colony.

My roach colony is still pretty new so I'm still going to rely on crickets every other molt, I think.

In other news two of my C. Versicolors molted and are now a bit bigger than an inch. Watching them grow is indeed very satisfying, and it too bad that it's now impossible to take photos with all the webbing they've put down.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Forgive the poor-quality picture, but Princess (one of my two African fat tail geckos) was unusually active after I cleaned her tank tonight. She was sniffing everywhere, climbing atop her structures, pushing her nose behind and under everything she could. All before plopping down inside her rock-hide and sleeping soundly.

Such a goofy little critter!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FreshFeesh posted:

Forgive the poor-quality picture, but Princess (one of my two African fat tail geckos) was unusually active after I cleaned her tank tonight. She was sniffing everywhere, climbing atop her structures, pushing her nose behind and under everything she could. All before plopping down inside her rock-hide and sleeping soundly.

Such a goofy little critter!

that's a cute gecko.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Well poo poo I don't know where I messed up but one of my GBB slings isn't able to molt and is probably going to die. The problem is I don't know how I messed up. Two of my other GBB slings molted out fine last week but this third GBB sling, which started molting yesterday, is all messed up with several legs still stuck in the old molt.

Man this is kind of sucks.

edit: Now I'm triply confused my 4th GBB just molted out fine. Do slings just have bad molts for no reason?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 24, 2018

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Agrajag posted:

Well poo poo I don't know where I messed up but one of my GBB slings isn't able to molt and is probably going to die. The problem is I don't know how I messed up. Two of my other GBB slings molted out fine last week but this third GBB sling, which started molting yesterday, is all messed up with several legs still stuck in the old molt.

Man this is kind of sucks.

edit: Now I'm triply confused my 4th GBB just molted out fine. Do slings just have bad molts for no reason?

I've owned a lot of things that molted and sometimes molts just go badly. Too little humidity, too much humidity, too little calcium, the phase of the moon, whatever. It might survive, but it tends to increase the odds that later molts will go badly too.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Quick update on my gargoyle gecko that would only eat if you hand fed it. After trying every flavor from pangea, we moved him to a plastic shoebox instead of his 10gal. He put on 3g this week without intervention feeding, so he may have just not felt safe feeding in his old tank.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Quick update on my gargoyle gecko that would only eat if you hand fed it. After trying every flavor from pangea, we moved him to a plastic shoebox instead of his 10gal. He put on 3g this week without intervention feeding, so he may have just not felt safe feeding in his old tank.

Was there a lot of hiding places in the old tank? Was the food placed on the ground or elevated?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So this is what my bad molted GBB sling looks like:

Surprisingly it's still alive. I've read that I can perhaps mashup it's food and just place it on top of the food and hope for the best until next molt?

Pretty much all but 2 or 3 legs are messed up I think even the two grasping things by the fangs are messed up too.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 26, 2018

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So this is what my bad molted GBB sling looks like:

Surprisingly it's still alive. I've read that I can perhaps mashup it's food and just place it on top of the food and hope for the best until next molt?

Pretty much all but 2 or 3 legs are messed up I think even the two grasping things by the fangs are messed up too.

2 or 3 functioning legs might be enough to survive, assuming it can feed. One of the big problems with a bad molt is that the fangs themselves can be deformed. Try offering a prekilled cricket or roach and see if it successfully eats. If it does, the chances of surviving are more in your favor.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

2 or 3 functioning legs might be enough to survive, assuming it can feed. One of the big problems with a bad molt is that the fangs themselves can be deformed. Try offering a prekilled cricket or roach and see if it successfully eats. If it does, the chances of surviving are more in your favor.

Alright I'll give that a try.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I got my GBB but my wife is unsure about buying B. lateralis to feed because they're well established here in the Southwest as it is and the last thing she wants is an escapee establishing a home in the apartment. I know they're apparently more nutritious than flies, but how does that compare to pinhead crickets? I gave mine two of the crickets last weekend after accidentally squishing like four trying to get them out of the container. Not sure how to grab such tiny things consistently.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Was there a lot of hiding places in the old tank? Was the food placed on the ground or elevated?

1 hide on each side of the tank, with a cork bark tube between them. The food was elevated on a magnetic ledge with some driftwood going up to it. I'd regularly see him on the ledge and on top of the nearby hide, as it was also a basking area with a ceramic heat emitter set to 78 degrees. So he had a lot of hiding areas, and he would go right next to the food bowl at times. But eh, he is pretty small so maybe once he is bigger I'll move him back.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My gargoyle would never use a ground hide - the only thing he likes is a vertical tank with a tangle of branches and an upright hollow log hide

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I got my GBB but my wife is unsure about buying B. lateralis to feed because they're well established here in the Southwest as it is and the last thing she wants is an escapee establishing a home in the apartment. I know they're apparently more nutritious than flies, but how does that compare to pinhead crickets? I gave mine two of the crickets last weekend after accidentally squishing like four trying to get them out of the container. Not sure how to grab such tiny things consistently.

Cricket keeper and when I want to feed one off I shake some into a tall bottle and chase them with my tongs till I get one by the side legs.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beardy opened his eyes to scowl at me the other day when it got up to 60 outside.

That lucky fucker is back asleep again.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Well turns out my badly molted GBB is able to eat so that's good, but the process of getting it to eat is kinda involved. I had to flip it over and then place the pre-killed cricket near it's fangs until it finally decided to bite down instead of flailing its legs. Then after a while, having made sure it wont drop it, I would flip it back up for it to continue eating.

I really hope the next molt will fix all those messed up and twisted legs.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Treatment for snake mites continue. I have yet to see any but in the lucy's cage, and he is getting pissy about living in a small shoebox, with a moat of DE, inside a large tote. But perhaps another month and we'll be clear?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thread needs more Elmore, so here he is eating dinner.

Linked for huge gif

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like he's enjoying that little salad bar. :3:

Vicky is just being nosy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
this last week or so has sucked. one of the frogs that my gf gave me died suddenly(looked like it had seizure) the other grey frog seems fine(cleaned the tank fully after finding the body) then today One of the dumby frogs that i had died, though this one was expected. he wasnt doing well(he was blue and probably inbred as a hapsburg) and he had be degenerating for while(fed him powderd crickets and uv light) but eventualy he was just spitting up food. at least he isnt suffering anymore and his female friend is doing good and growing.

on better news. i think my parents may let me have a herp that isnt a frog after a gratuate. i was thinking a snake, probaly a kenyan sand boa because they are small and sorta "friendly" or at least calm. that or beadie or skink.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sunny finally came out of bruminating last week. Three months of living the dream, that little rear end in a top hat has me jealous. He also believes me to be his personal servant who rains superworms from the sky.

I think I'm the pet at this point.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

A lot can happen in 14 months.

Here's Elmore when I got him in December 2016:

And here he is just last week:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Holy cow!

:monocle:

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
What a cutie! :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's such a good lizard :3:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Knorth posted:

That's such a good lizard :3:

Deffo

Sunny saw me this morning when I came back downstairs and went buckwild. Running everywhere, even crawled around on the hammock he's refused to touch. Then he managed to knock part of his rock mountain over.

He's dying to hunt live quick things, so we headed to the local shop for crickets and dubias

E:

He's been super active, this cricket got chased, and then stalked after it hid under his rocks. I've got more live coming tomorrow I think.

E2: dubias showed up half an hour ago or so, fed sunny a handful and watched him obliterate like the little monster he is.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 28, 2018

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Why is my axolotl a poo dragon. I'm sure he reads my mind whenever I spot a big turd and in the time it takes for me to consider scooping, pick up the net, and open the tank, he has placed himself squarely over the poo as though he's guarding it. Naturally he then tramples it and completely foils my idea that he might like to live in a place that doesn't have poo poo everywhere.

Good thing it's mostly sand!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
My bearded dragon is the same way re: his poo poo and spatial awareness

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, my beardy shits on his lava rocks and I take them out and blast em clean.

As soon as I put the rocks back in he shits on them immediately.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bollock Monkey posted:

Why is my axolotl a poo dragon. I'm sure he reads my mind whenever I spot a big turd and in the time it takes for me to consider scooping, pick up the net, and open the tank, he has placed himself squarely over the poo as though he's guarding it. Naturally he then tramples it and completely foils my idea that he might like to live in a place that doesn't have poo poo everywhere.

Good thing it's mostly sand!

How big is your axie, and does he ever eat the sand?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

PathAsc posted:

Yeah, my beardy shits on his lava rocks and I take them out and blast em clean.

As soon as I put the rocks back in he shits on them immediately.
A lot of lizards poop on their basking rocks to mark their territory. He's probably pissed you keep trying to claim his spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Knormal posted:

A lot of lizards poop on their basking rocks to mark their territory. He's probably pissed you keep trying to claim his spot.

Huh, I learned a thing. Thanks for that, guess he's gonna be pissed in a few days again.