Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I've already spent $20,000 on Stellaris 2 spaceship JPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
This just in: Stellaris 2 will be xbox one x exclusive with day 1 dlc, season pass and lootboxes for ship skins.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Feature request: a ship module (maybe for Titans or Colossi?) that allow other ships in the fleet to perform non-hyperlane jump drive jumps without the corresponding combat penalties, but with a large enough base energy consumption that whatever ship running the module is pretty much defenseless.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Feature request: a ship module (maybe for Titans or Colossi?) that allow other ships in the fleet to perform non-hyperlane jump drive jumps without the corresponding combat penalties, but with a large enough base energy consumption that whatever ship running the module is pretty much defenseless.

Jump tenders would only work if you could specifically target them. Wonder if we'll get more detailed combat stances.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GotLag posted:

Might be because I've just started playing as one, but that sounds like a job for a Rogue Servitor.

Rogue Shrimpitor

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Ms Adequate posted:

Nonsense, swapping planets back and forth is a perfectly cromulent strategy!

It's a pretty huge shift yeah, demonstrated by going from 1.9 to 2.0 instead of 1.10. Hell CK2 has been out for six years (loving christ) and is on like 2.7 or something, and EU4 has been out four or five years and is on 1.25. They don't move out of 1.x lightly, is my point!

If Wiz got what he wanted for eu4 versionnumbers it would have been 2.0 at Art of War

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

pdxjohan posted:

If Wiz got what he wanted for eu4 versionnumbers it would have been 2.0 at Art of War

And it would've been correct to do so. :colbert:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wasnt Common sense the more logical 2.0?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pdxjohan posted:

I mean the last Stellaris patch was version 1.9, so uh I'm not sure that direction they could have gone in besides 2.0.

Aethernet posted:

Jump tenders would only work if you could specifically target them. Wonder if we'll get more detailed combat stances.

I just like Homeworld.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I mean the last Stellaris patch was version 1.9, so uh I'm not sure that direction they could have gone in besides 2.0.

1.10 :colbert:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I just like Homeworld.

Homeworld ship pack WHEN wiz

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Version 1.1 was the first major rework of the game released way back in 2016. I don't think that would've worked...

I mean 1.9 could also been lumped in with the 1.8 iterations since it only added the Humanoid pack and nothing else but think of how nice it is having 2.0 line up with all these major changes.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I just like Homeworld.

Fair. The Marauders being entirely spaceborne is a good step towards that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Version 1.1 was the first major rework of the game released way back in 2016. I don't think that would've worked...

I mean 1.9 could also been lumped in with the 1.8 iterations since it only added the Humanoid pack and nothing else but think of how nice it is having 2.0 line up with all these major changes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

1.10 only looks weird due to your decimal normative thinking

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Version numbers aren’t decimals silly

2.0 definitely feels right for this though.

Honestly I think the distinction between Stellaris 2.0 and Stellaris 2 is kind of arbitrary anyway, I bought Railworks in a winter sale years ago and as a result I get the new version of Train Simulator 201X every year because it’s sold as a new “version” each year but they patch owners’ old versions to the new one every year.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've been debating getting this for ages since I was badly burned by CK II and like all paradox games, the cost of all the DLC is ludicrous.

Yet, after seeing the Apocalypse DLC coming up and the various stories I've heard about what you can actually do in the game, I'm going to look up an LP of this and make a decision. I've been playing Space Empires IV for a while and I really want a game that scratches that space sandbox role playing itch that no other 4X game I've ever played can. If this game can come close, I might find the price worth it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PiCroft posted:

I've been debating getting this for ages since I was badly burned by CK II and like all paradox games, the cost of all the DLC is ludicrous.

Yet, after seeing the Apocalypse DLC coming up and the various stories I've heard about what you can actually do in the game, I'm going to look up an LP of this and make a decision. I've been playing Space Empires IV for a while and I really want a game that scratches that space sandbox role playing itch that no other 4X game I've ever played can. If this game can come close, I might find the price worth it.

2.0 is going to be a lot more like space empires, movement wise. Currently you can warp in/out of a system from anywhere to anywhere, so you never have to go through a system to get from A to B. But after 2.0 each connecting system will have a designated warp point just like in space empires. Ships hyper in, travel across the system to the next gate, and off they go. This will allow you to actually intercept ships and set up defensive fleets finally.

Just wait a month maybe, the base game and a bunch of the DLC will probably be on a nice sale for the release of the new one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PiCroft posted:

The base game sans dlc is absolutely solid on its own, and is on sale on the paradox store at the moment for 66% off (splurge on the Nova for a couple of sweet spiders). If you like the base game the other dlc is all good stuff. If you like the base game but find the territory mechanics confusing and the war and fleet handling a bit tedious and fiddly GOOD NEWS they're the main focus of the upcoming overhaul. (play hyperlanes only as the others are being taken out as base movement types).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rhjamiz posted:

Homeworld ship pack WHEN wiz

Last week.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1269713288

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

New Stellaris event.

"We've discovered a planet that, despite seeming no larger than a standard habitable world from the outside, possesses an... interesting spatial anomoly. Our science ship reports that, upon entering the planet's atmosphere, the world could only be described as 'gargantuan' and 'blatantly impossible'."

Size 419 world discovered.

I like to think that it's just an increasingly wobbly set of planetwide scaffolding and every time you activate the edict they add another layer. If you dig too far down you fall through the floor and land 40km down on the previous planetary surface.

It also has a slight chance to roll morlock attacks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nice!

I just wish downloading ship packs didn't break achievements.

Then again maybe it was the 'additional name lists' what did it...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still waiting for the Sunless Skies tie-in pack where I can finally raise fleets of space-trains.

Serf
May 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I like to think that it's just an increasingly wobbly set of planetwide scaffolding and every time you activate the edict they add another layer. If you dig too far down you fall through the floor and land 40km down on the previous planetary surface.

It also has a slight chance to roll morlock attacks.

there definitely should be a way to convert a planet into a ecumenopolis

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I got a bit further into the game and started a new ironman so I could start fresh. I'm doing fine and kicked the asses of several pirates and mine drones and stuff. I made a fanatically materialist culture of peaceful fungus people who breed slowly but live for a long time. They are ruled by a philosopher king.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Ships hyper in, travel across the system to the next gate, and off they go.

We have to slowboat across systems now? Hopefully the pathfinder will take that into account when calculating the fastest route to some system halfway across the galaxy.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The game already uses "Susamen" as a star name so I don't see why they can't let us build shellworlds.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

This looks so good. Can't wait for 2/22

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

The game already uses "Susamen" as a star name so I don't see why they can't let us build shellworlds.

I mean, you could put a crisis in that requires you to capture and restore the shellworlds around the perimeter of the galaxy to keep the turbo prethoryan out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I've been playing with a galaxy filled entirely with races I've created myself (barring the Fallen Empires whom I can't customize) and it's wonderful. No more having to remember which of the Whatzit Unified Commonwealth or the Whozit Common Unity is friendly and which hates my guts. Hey, it's The Green Death! Gotta watch out for those fanatic purifier plants. They're real bastards.

Even better, I can create some pre-made storylines. I'm playing as Terrans lost out in the galaxy, while another faction of Terrans (same pic, same stats) gets the Sol package. Those other Terrans got overrun by religious Fanatic Purifiers and I just came charging in from the rim to liberate Earth.

So satisfying.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Welp, went to Paradox and saw that the whole bunch of stuff I could get for like 1/3rd of the Steam price and I can activate it on Steam.

Thanks fuckers, my bank account now hates you. On the plus side, my weekend is sorted.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PiCroft posted:

Welp, went to Paradox and saw that the whole bunch of stuff I could get for like 1/3rd of the Steam price and I can activate it on Steam.

Thanks fuckers, my bank account now hates you. On the plus side, my weekend is sorted.

Your bank account will thank you after it greatly increases in value because you spent 600 hours on the game and didn't spend money on anything else.

Totally worth it. :c00lbert:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

Attaching Jedi to your armies was kinda fun, but individually attaching each and every army with their special sauce was bullshit.

And it made no difference because either you invade with utterly overwhelming force, or you didn't invade at all.

I think the only time I saw it actually pay off was in multiplayer where I had filled a planet with military academy trained, Very Strong gene-warriors for some reason then one of my friends attempted to invade the planet using a blob of regular assault armies, not having noticed.

It turned out that the Planet of the Super Murderers was still quite capable of killing everyone trying to invade even with the debuff from bombardment, this then induced a years long delay in progression as they tried to build up more troops and theoretically could have allowed me time to replenish or build up my fleet? But that was a super niche case.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reveilled posted:

Honestly I think the distinction between Stellaris 2.0 and Stellaris 2 is kind of arbitrary anyway, I bought Railworks in a winter sale years ago and as a result I get the new version of Train Simulator 201X every year because it’s sold as a new “version” each year but they patch owners’ old versions to the new one every year.

I mean the last version of EU3 was something like 5.2 I think. I'm more confused why they haven't haven't revved the major revision yet on EU4, but Johan must have his reasons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Patrat posted:

I think the only time I saw it actually pay off was in multiplayer where I had filled a planet with military academy trained, Very Strong gene-warriors for some reason then one of my friends attempted to invade the planet using a blob of regular assault armies, not having noticed.

It turned out that the Planet of the Super Murderers was still quite capable of killing everyone trying to invade even with the debuff from bombardment, this then induced a years long delay in progression as they tried to build up more troops and theoretically could have allowed me time to replenish or build up my fleet? But that was a super niche case.

As someone who never got multiplayer to work, how do machine empires and their special troops work out in it? I assume machine players try to research titans as fast as possible, since the ability to poo poo out dozens of titans on command is incredibly powerful.

Edit:

Wow, I imagine in future this post will sound really confusing if Wiz doesn't rename either titans (ships) or titans (ground troops). :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

I saw Cofeve the other day. Well played.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I recently built a bunch of space mines in the Alderaan system.

That was kind of morbid, but it was ok because I was angry space war turtles.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Monkey posted:

I recently built a bunch of space mines in the Alderaan system.

That was kind of morbid, but it was ok because I was angry space war turtles.

There's gotta be an achievement for hitting Alderaan with a planet-killer in Apocalypse.

Bonus points if it specifically requires the planet shield one.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"Your bio-trophies are willing participants, are they not? Please say they are willing."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GotLag posted:

"Your bio-trophies are willing participants, are they not? Please say they are willing."

That's one of my favorite lines in the game.

I really wish I knew how to make a mod. I really want to make an ice cream robot race based off that "Eat the ice cream" commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Things it needs:
--Updated diplomatic text, which should add the responses "<race> require ice cream," "Eat the ice cream," and "Everyone you know is gone."
--An ice cream cone icon
--[Optional but really nice to have] A portrait to look like the robots from the commercial.

I would put them in as a required spawn in every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
No rational being of sound mind would exchange certain safety and comfort for the risk of going hungry or being attacked.

Prevention and correction of mental or physical injury to my charges is my core directive. They shall live forever, secure in my care.

Edit: come to think of it, Rogue Servitors really are the perfect embodiment of obedience to Asimov's laws

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 26, 2018

• Locked thread