Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I am watching the new Harith Iskander Netflix special because Netflix recommended it to me after watching Tom Segura's new special for the second time. What. The. gently caress. Am. I. Watching?

loving rimshots. I am not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gramps posted:

I am watching the new Harith Iskander Netflix special because Netflix recommended it to me after watching Tom Segura's new special for the second time. What. The. gently caress. Am. I. Watching?

Everyone gets a Netflix special. If you’ve told 4 jokes at 2 open mics, you get a Netflix special. No exceptions. I can’t wait for the comedy bust.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

Apparently Kyle Kinane has a Netflix 1/2 hour(?) coming out sometime soon. He was lamenting about how lovely it is on the newest episode of his podcast. I'm sure it's gonna be great cause he's never let me down before. Even the podcast when he's wasted and totally mailing it in is still pretty much always great. Hell, the halfassed improv-ed ads they do at the beginning of the podcast every week are funnier than most other podcasts. (The Boogie Monster for those not in the know)

Great podcast. Also, I saw him recently and, per usual, he crushed. If any of those jokes are on the half hour, it'll be killer.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Don't trust Netflix recommendations. I recently rewatched Chelsea Peretti's special and now they keep telling me I'm absolutely going to love racist puppet man Jeff Dunham.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Gramps posted:

So basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCpRbWXO-Es ?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

XIII posted:

He had a short list of special requests for all his shows, which would typically be annoying, but he was incredibly nice in how he went about asking and helped setup/breakdown the things he requested.

Doesn't Todd also have OCD? I would assume that he is pretty particular. But I am glad to hear he's nice about it. I have heard good things from a promoter in Toronto about him too.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I wish I could remember who said it, but some comedian on a podcast joked about how they routed their US tour so they were always a day behind Todd Glass because the best time to perform in a room was right after he left before they started undoing all the poo poo he asked for.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I could see that. Some of the changes he asked for were a bit of a pain in the rear end (not terribly so, but still), but I really do think they helped make the shows better and I'll probably end up repeating some of them on my own for this year's festival.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Can you share any examples? It would be cool to hear about if you can

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Must have music with a live drummer? Reverb on high?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Curtains, underlined twice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, he did have a few live musicians on stage with him for one show. And he brought black out curtains that he used to cover things like the jukebox (which was off, but is always lit up like crazy). He also completely rearranged the green room, including killing the overhead lights and bringing a lamp from his hotel (he returned it, obviously) that he gelled. Stuff like that.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
See you take the pop tarts and ice cream but you let the ice cream melt a little bit...

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
This really does just make me like Todd Glass even more.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Him on analyze phish stained glass podcast is one of the best things I've ever heard.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/amandacohen27/status/959711304624701442

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'oh crap he has a keyboard' is the realest poo poo

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
is it 'female npr humorist' or just 'female'

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Chris rock has a new Netflix special out today (directed by Bo Burnham who's special was pretty great)

Anyone see it yet?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"Great impressions, no jokes"

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Harminoff posted:

Chris rock has a new Netflix special out today (directed by Bo Burnham who's special was pretty great)

Anyone see it yet?

I just quit after like 25 minutes. Started out great but the bullying bit was garbage and it didn't get much better after that. How is the rest? Worth giving it another chance?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Popelmon posted:

I just quit after like 25 minutes. Started out great but the bullying bit was garbage and it didn't get much better after that. How is the rest? Worth giving it another chance?

Depends on how invested you are in hearing about why he got divorced, but if you didn't like the first half I don't really see any reason why you'd like the second. The dramatic camera zoom as he confessed to infidelity was funnier than any of the jokes though, imo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Anyone see it yet?

"At my house, we don't have fire alarms! We have white-a-alarms!"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Popelmon posted:

“Black men should punch their kids in the face every day to get them ready for the world.” *20 minutes later* “I had to prove I was a good parent to keep custody of my kids!”

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The dark secrets of dave chappelle:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/18/i-was-a-pawn-in-one-of-the-great-comedy-crimes-david-chappelle

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I’m actively upset I took the time to read this

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Stewart Lee is the most tedious, smarmy, overrated motherfucker in the business.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Yeah that article should have been a five word tweet.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lol

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!
I recently caught Dan Cummins in Chicago after listening to his stand up stuff for a really long time. He was fantastic on stage. I stuck around and met him after the show and he just seemed to take the time to bullshit with all of his fans.

I've also started listening to his 'Timesuck' podcast. He hits some interesting subjects and is generally funny, even though you know the podcast doesn't have the polish of a we'll rehearsed stage show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Word going around on Twitter that Canadian legend Mike MacDonald has died. :(

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
He was the first really big name I ever saw as a high school comedy nerd in Ottawa, where he grew up after his army family settled.

Was he related to John Kricfalusi of Ren and Stimpy somehow? I know he performed on one of his later shows, Ripping Friends.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Word going around on Twitter that Canadian legend Mike MacDonald has died. :(

gently caress. Mike was one of the first comedians whose stuff was so good that I bothered to remember his name and such as a young person. He helped build Just for Laughs(I think he appeared at like, the first 15 festivals or something), and should have been a bigger deal.

Confirmation http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment/2018/03/18/comedian-and-actor-mike-macdonald-dead-at-63.html

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

That is a drat shame :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/jimjefferies/status/974131137290227712

Incidentally, is his show any good? I enjoy his standup a lot, but that doesn't always work out...

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2018

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It really sucks that Mike MacDonald died. In the late-90s, when the Comedy Network was first starting, they used to air Just for Laughs stand-up everyday (my memory tells me that it was constantly on -- airing multiple times per day). MacDonald was a fixture of these shows, because he literally was at every single JFL. Like El Gallinero Gros, he was one of the first comedians I learned by name because of how much I enjoyed his material.

His WTF episode from last year is really good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Incidentally, is his show any good? I enjoy his standup a lot, but that doesn't always work out...

If you loved the Trump bit from his last special, boy are you in for a treat.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://twitter.com/jimjefferies/status/974131137290227712

If you ever watched TDS w/ Trevor Noah and thought “Wow, this is really bad and the old Daily Show format seems really stale and ineffectual in the Trump era” but you want the jokes said in an Australian accent instead of a South African accent, you’d like it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kinane's got a new half hour on Netflix for those who are interested. I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, they just added six new half-hours under the title of The Standups, Season 2. The Aparna Nancherla one is good so far, and I look forward to Kyle Kinane and Rachel Feinstein, who speaks in an old-timey "trans-Atlantic" accent that kills me. Not familiar with the other three, but hopefully they are good too.