Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm officially the dumbest mofo to ever own a bike.

The tests have come back and you're at a nominal 0.55 backpanthers so not the dumbest by a long way, I'm afraid. Never stop striving though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The bike shop nearish to my new neighborhood has 2018 zero s for less than 11 grand which is really tempting. I’ve also heard Yamaha and Honda are trying to bring an electric to market which is exciting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They just put a new wing on the landfill thanks to you!!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The tests have come back and you're at a nominal 0.55 backpanthers so not the dumbest by a long way, I'm afraid. Never stop striving though!

The year is still young, so I'll shoot for 5 batteries this year. I just purchased an OptiMate 5, supposedly people have had luck bringing batteries back to life from as low as 3v, and mine is at 7.5v right now. If nothing else, keeping it on the tender will keep them alive longer as I tend to have a lot of short trips on the bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A MIRACLE posted:

The bike shop nearish to my new neighborhood has 2018 zero s for less than 11 grand which is really tempting. I’ve also heard Yamaha and Honda are trying to bring an electric to market which is exciting

Isn't Honda's electric miracle a scooter with a pair of swappable batteries, and also a vending machine to supply said batteries? ie the super obvious way to go from petrol to electric without needing to change consumer refuelling habits from a two minute pitstop to needing to find somewhere to plug your vehicle in all night (and possibly all day)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just take the key out of the bike?!?!?!?!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did! But it was knocked into that stupid parking mode that leaves the lights on even when the key is out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I did! But it was knocked into that stupid parking mode that leaves the lights on even when the key is out.

That is the stupidest loving thing and has no reason to exist.
But durrr what if I'm parked on the side of the road in the fog at night?
Well loving don't do that.
But durrr what if...
Shut the gently caress up.
But...
I'm not helping you push start that poo poo in the morning if you deliberately left your bike like that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Isn't it a legal requirement in Australia, that you need to have your tail light stay on while your vehicle is parked (in certain areas)?

gently caress knows why.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Isn't it a legal requirement in Australia, that you need to have your tail light stay on while your vehicle is parked (in certain areas)?

gently caress knows why.

This doesn’t mean it’s not a legal requirement here, but I’ve not heard about that. I’d have thought the rear reflector which is mandatory on all vehicles takes care of night time parked visibility.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

The year is still young, so I'll shoot for 5 batteries this year. I just purchased an OptiMate 5, supposedly people have had luck bringing batteries back to life from as low as 3v, and mine is at 7.5v right now. If nothing else, keeping it on the tender will keep them alive longer as I tend to have a lot of short trips on the bike.

Protip: unless you have a lipo (don't ever buy one ever), voltages don't mean poo poo w.r.t. battery health, all voltage really tells you is how much 'gas' it has in the 'tank'. What makes batteries go weak is a drop in the CCA caused by a reduction in the amount of functioning real-estate on the plates; it still has six cells (unless one is so bad it open circuits) so it'll always nominally make 12v when charged, but the physical size of the battery is effectively smaller. Some smart chargers have a de-sulphate mode specifically intended to break that stuff loose and try to rehabilitate some of the dead plate area and I'm\assuming that's what yours does. In my anecdotal experience, these are better than nothing but the better way to rehabilitate a seemingly dead battery is by giving it the beans with an old-school analogue charger until it's juiced enough to get detected by a digital one.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

100% satisfied with my lithium battery. Encounter none of these issues. Leave the key in and set to park with the lights on for 3 days? Charge it for 10 minutes and forget anything bad ever happened. Leave it over winter without a tender? No issue. Just works.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MomJeans420 posted:

I've flattened a battery once from leaving the key in. I hooked it up to my battery tender and it was fine. Do you own a battery tender? If not, you should buy one and see if it helps your wallet.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

RadioPassive posted:

100% satisfied with my lithium battery. Encounter none of these issues. Leave the key in and set to park with the lights on for 3 days? Charge it for 10 minutes and forget anything bad ever happened. Leave it over winter without a tender? No issue. Just works.

Agreed. I probably wouldn't pony up what they cost, because I'm cheap, but the shorai in the KTM was wonderful. Never gave me a single problem.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

Protip: unless you have a lipo (don't ever buy one ever), voltages don't mean poo poo w.r.t. battery health, all voltage really tells you is how much 'gas' it has in the 'tank'. What makes batteries go weak is a drop in the CCA caused by a reduction in the amount of functioning real-estate on the plates; it still has six cells (unless one is so bad it open circuits) so it'll always nominally make 12v when charged, but the physical size of the battery is effectively smaller. Some smart chargers have a de-sulphate mode specifically intended to break that stuff loose and try to rehabilitate some of the dead plate area and I'm\assuming that's what yours does. In my anecdotal experience, these are better than nothing but the better way to rehabilitate a seemingly dead battery is by giving it the beans with an old-school analogue charger until it's juiced enough to get detected by a digital one.

This would have been great advice 2 weeks ago when I replaced my less than a year old battery in the car due to it being sucked down to like 3V. Napa deamed it superdead and I bought an interstate...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Protip: unless you have a lipo (don't ever buy one ever)

Spoken like someone who’s never been a serious racer who needed to cut weight, or a person who didn’t have ready access to a charger and had to leave their bike out in the cold. :colbert:

(Only buy earthx if you do though because they’re the only ones that won’t let you run them so far out of juice that they can’t be recovered)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Spoken like someone who’s never been a serious racer who needed to cut weight, or a person who didn’t have ready access to a charger and had to leave their bike out in the cold. :colbert:

(Only buy earthx if you do though because they’re the only ones that won’t let you run them so far out of juice that they can’t be recovered)

I defacto crewed for my mate's amateur racing effort and he insisted on getting one to save weight on his generator-less post-classic bike. He had pretty bad Stockholm syndrome and was absolutely convinced he could feel those grams.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s me, Serious Racer™️

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s me, Serious Racer™️

Same.*

*is morbidly obese but spends hundreds to lose 3 lbs on the bike.

For serious though, you’re going to see all the dirt bikes coming with LiFePo batteries from now on just because of the weight savings. Same thing is driving the removal of kickstarters.

Slavvy posted:

I defacto crewed for my mate's amateur racing effort and he insisted on getting one to save weight on his generator-less post-classic bike. He had pretty bad Stockholm syndrome and was absolutely convinced he could feel those grams.

Well, they are pretty high up in the frame. :eng99:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like the idea of dirt bikes having them because you don't rely on a dirt bike to start every morning when you need to go to work, and because the increased power density might help ktm's hideously under-sized battery fetish.

Taking away the kicker is a terrible crime though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is literally a market for swapping DRZ E kickers and associated cases and mechanicals onto S and SM models. Why on earth would you remove the kicker?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Girly's te250 is identical in every way to the kickstart model except it has a bung where the kicker normally sticks out and it's the most infuriating thing because the battery is far too small for a high compression single.

My ktm has the exact same size battery and I've yet to find one strong enough to avoid going flat after a few cold start attempts; it seems to be there purely as a hot start convenience thing for when you bail on the trail.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

builds character posted:

Same.*

*is morbidly obese but spends hundreds to lose 3 lbs on the bike.

Lipo should definitely be saving you more than 3 lb. if not find a better surgeon.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Optimate 5 detected the battery was low and did its magic, then charged it up fully overnight. It has helpful lights that show when it has detected your battery is hosed and it's trying to desulfate the batter versus just charging it. The question now is assuming the bike starts, is it going to die the next time I go to start it, leaving me stuck at work. I guess I'll ride it around tonight, let it sit overnight, if it starts tomorrow morning I'll chance it, and just start leaving it on the tender when I can to hopefully keep it going.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Koruthaiolos posted:

Lipo should definitely be saving you more than 3 lb. if not find a better surgeon.

LOL if you have more than 3 lb. of fat to suck out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol if you have more than 0% body fat and aren’t just constantly eating whatever you need to survive at that very moment.

Run lean bro

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hunter-Gatherer 4 lyfe

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

LOL if you have more than 3 lb. of fat to suck out.

I've met a number of CA goons. Believe me, there's a lot more than 3 lbs to suck out out there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: Optimate 5 brought my battery that was down to 5.something volts back to life, rode the bike for 10 mins last night after it started then figured if it started in the morning, I'd be good to go. Started up no problem this morning in what counts as cold for LA weather (48 degrees), but I brought the charger with me in case it won't start when I go to leave work.

In other news, I had to check to make sure this is a real item, and it is:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://streamable.com/r6wpv

fat people

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think anyone would struggle to get on a bike by climbing on the exhaust :eyepop:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think anyone would struggle to get on a bike by climbing on the exhaust :eyepop:

OH MY GOD I MISSED THAT AT FIRST. WHY DID YOU TELL ME THAT!?!?! I WAS OKAY BELIEVING IT WAS JUST A SILLY FAT PERSON TRYING TO CLIMB ON A BIKE BUT OH MY GOD THAT POOR PIPE. :gonk:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I've met a number of CA goons. Believe me, there's a lot more than 3 lbs to suck out out there.

:respek:

MomJeans420 posted:

Trip report: Optimate 5 brought my battery that was down to 5.something volts back to life, rode the bike for 10 mins last night after it started then figured if it started in the morning, I'd be good to go. Started up no problem this morning in what counts as cold for LA weather (48 degrees), but I brought the charger with me in case it won't start when I go to leave work.

In other news, I had to check to make sure this is a real item, and it is:

What flavor is that? Does it come in a raspberry?

Sounds like you’ve solved your battery problem too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Third puncture in 9 months after 5 years without one. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the last 9 months have included the beginning of the construction of the largest residential building in Europe (and the 50 deliveries a day to it) turning the only road I can take to and from work into a tank proving ground.

Mind you much as I'd like to I can't blame the catastrofuck of east London property for the fact this puncture (caused by a headless bolt, the sort of thing that is used on rebar joints - but again, pure coincidence!) is so close to the last one that it actually pushed the repair patch for the old one up, that's just plain God hating me.

Still, at least I get to scrub in my new tyres (front was squared off too, so decided to do them both) in single-digit centigrade temperatures in persistent drizzle. That's always fun.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

If you've never had to do it y'all have no idea the strain on that dude's hips and thighs throughout the whole thing.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

As a Zero FXS owner, I say do it. It’s the bike for lazy people and is a shitload of fun for a simple commuter machine.

I loved the SR and kinda regret not saving up some more for it, but after my roof just went to poo poo I’m happy to have the spare cash.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
IMS tank for my DRZ.
Petcock bolt hole has a broken bolt in it. I do this a lot. Drill out the bolt and insert the tap, tap breaks.

How the hell does the tap break? Cheap rear end piece of poo poo tools. Try to drill that out and hit the metal surround, then break the drill bit without even really trying.

Bolts suck. Autocorrect trying to put peacock in for petcock sucks. I want to get everything for my DRZ set up before May because I got married and she got in to a doctorate program in Mesa AZ so I gotta quit and move away from Michigan and I’m super not gonna have free spending cash then.

Just wanted to gripe. This tank didn’t cost me poo poo, so I may just toss it and either put the stock back on or find a different over size one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

If you've never had to do it y'all have no idea the strain on that dude's hips and thighs throughout the whole thing.

also his nuts are gonna pop at the first stoplight

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

My wife's a big girl and she is a consummate pillion*. Of course I showed her how to get on and off the drat thing and we practiced a few times before we ever went for a rip.

*Aside from her occasional tendency to nod off back there, what the gently caress sweetie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Third puncture in 9 months after 5 years without one. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the last 9 months have included the beginning of the construction of the largest residential building in Europe (and the 50 deliveries a day to it) turning the only road I can take to and from work into a tank proving ground.

Mind you much as I'd like to I can't blame the catastrofuck of east London property for the fact this puncture (caused by a headless bolt, the sort of thing that is used on rebar joints - but again, pure coincidence!) is so close to the last one that it actually pushed the repair patch for the old one up, that's just plain God hating me.

Still, at least I get to scrub in my new tyres (front was squared off too, so decided to do them both) in single-digit centigrade temperatures in persistent drizzle. That's always fun.

Can you buy tires with insurance in UK? Might be worth it while you live next to a site like this.