Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

dogstile posted:

I've always just said my salary wishes are *more than i want to actually make* but i'm a little flexible.

Usually it means I get a few extra days of holiday in exchange for them paying me a "little less". It's nice!
The whole market is broken. All my biggest salary jumps have come from when I didn't really need a new job, told a recruiter a too-high number on the phone so they would gently caress off, and then been surprised when they bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, the bosses are getting vendor presentation today for our new ticketing system. Two out of three vendors are presenting today.

SuMO IT Solutions Inc. (ServiceNow) and TeamDynamix Solutions, LLC

I don't know who the third is at this time. I know ServiceNow's been talked about in this thread, but I've never heard of TeamDynamix. Anyone have input on it? Which is better, assuming a good level of support for implementation? Also, it's really likely to be only used for ticketing, as we used PDQ Deploy and Inventory, and other departments have their own entrenched systems.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mllaneza posted:

If you shop at Trader Joe's, check out the Lismore in the Scotch section. It's got a lot of flavor with a nice cinnamon-y finish. I call it a cheap Balvenie equivalent at $16.99. If you'd a Laphroiag drinker, try the Finlaggan for, I think $17.99. That's a decent peaty Scotch for a good price.

We have state run liquor, but yeah Lismore and Finlaggan are fantastic for the money.
Also The Fameous Grouse at around ~$20/bottle is loving fantastic for forgetting your day. ...and your pants.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, the bosses are getting vendor presentation today for our new ticketing system. Two out of three vendors are presenting today.

SuMO IT Solutions Inc. (ServiceNow) and TeamDynamix Solutions, LLC

I don't know who the third is at this time. I know ServiceNow's been talked about in this thread, but I've never heard of TeamDynamix. Anyone have input on it? Which is better, assuming a good level of support for implementation? Also, it's really likely to be only used for ticketing, as we used PDQ Deploy and Inventory, and other departments have their own entrenched systems.
it doesn't matter, people will still fail to communicate with each other, loops will never get closed, and every team involved will shoot for all the wrong metrics to game the reporting

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Ok, onwards to the important questions:
Tomorrow I have an video interview for a job on the other side of Europe, do I wear pants?

Interview was audio only so I wore pants in vain :negative:

I got asked about the difference between TCP and UDP and I didn't say "I would make a UDP joke but I'm not sure you would get it" :negative:

Beyond that it went very well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I got asked about the difference between TCP and UDP and I didn't say "I would make a UDP joke but I'm not sure you would get it" :negative:

:sad:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Vulture Culture posted:

it doesn't matter, people will still fail to communicate with each other, loops will never get closed, and every team involved will shoot for all the wrong metrics to game the reporting

Hmm, but on the other hand, I made a joke to a user about a donut fee for resetting her password, and they just delivered, with bonus latte.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Interview was audio only so I wore pants in vain :negative:

Beyond that it went very well.

Hello. I would like to hear a TCP Joke.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hello. I would like to hear a TCP Joke.

I have a TCP Joke. Are you ready to hear about the TCP Joke?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have a TCP Joke. Are you ready to hear about the TCP Joke?

Yes. I'm ready to hear about the TCP Joke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm MitMing your tcp joke because you used a self-signed certificate, eat my rear end

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm MitMing your tcp joke because you used a self-signed certificate, eat my rear end

I'm not good with computers and don't get the joke, please advise.

*marks URGENT*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

*marks URGENT*

tcp is no joke. acknowledge?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ahhhh.... Fridays. *loosens belt*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Who wants some SYN cookies?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

The whole market is broken. All my biggest salary jumps have come from when I didn't really need a new job, told a recruiter a too-high number on the phone so they would gently caress off, and then been surprised when they bit

This kind of happenes to me earlier today.

Please tell me why I should say no to an MSP that is about to throw way too much money at me?

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Please tell me why I should say no to an MSP that is about to throw way too much money at me?

MSP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

As long as you're okay your life getting stressful and hectic for a bit, go for it. Sometimes you're at that part of your career/life and that's exactly what you need. If they're going to be paying you well, that's already one hurdle of "MSPs suck" you're over. Go in, plan to stay a year or two, then make your next jump with that added experience.

If you're planning on getting married or having kids or some other event in your personal life that is going to be stressful and/or time consuming, it may not be the right time for you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

MSPs are extremely hit or miss and you should interview the gently caress out of them.

Do they track every second of your time in tickets? Is your 'expected salary' contingent on monthly billable hours? Are they super cheap with cheap clients and won't recommend expensive (but correct) solutions, favoring cheap poo poo that works now but incurs technical debt later?

Some MSPs do things the right way. I believe I worked for one of them. It was great, but they couldn't pay me enough to stick around. I just interviewed with an MSP / Consultant that did things the terrible wrong way and passed on them hard.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ah yes, FRIDAY.

Our datacenter switch is deciding it does, indeed, wish me to have no loving time for anything today. 10Gb ports, when throughput hits about 2Gbps, spike to 100% utilization and everything slows through the interface. Alright, that's strange. Currently trying to figure out exactly what metric HP is using to report that utilization. Easiest way to trigger this is when we vMotion a VM. Will update with progress, but I'm almost worried that though we have 10Gb interfaces, there are potentially multiple interfaces sharing a single 10Gb ASIC. If this is actually the case, god dammit.

Also an MSA is complaining about disk errors AND I have a client who has offsite backups that are basically as on fire as one can possibly be.

All of this on top of the fact I'm trying to build the training for the guys below me. Good times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Collateral Damage posted:

If it was a blue/white text-mode "gui" it was probably part of Norton Utilities. I have a vague memory of it including a simple configurable application launcher that worked just as you described.

I still have my first computer too, a Spectravideo SVI-328 from 1983. It's packed up in its original box in my parents' basement. :corsair:

nah it was orange lettering on straight black background. The computer actually might have been a 286 not a 386

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dick Trauma posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:perfect:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:thurman:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dick Trauma posted:

A-

-damnit

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

If you shop at Trader Joe's, check out the Lismore in the Scotch section. It's got a lot of flavor with a nice cinnamon-y finish. I call it a cheap Balvenie equivalent at $16.99. If you'd a Laphroiag drinker, try the Finlaggan for, I think $17.99. That's a decent peaty Scotch for a good price.

I came here to hear horror stories and become better at IT. I stick around because alcohol advice.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

terrenblade posted:

I came here to hear horror stories and become better at IT, and I'm all out of gum.

Yes, that's it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Update: Apparently the third vendor's proposal was over budget. And I've been informed the TeamDynamix presentation, while well delivered, suffered by being after the ServiceNow presentation. SN was lots of "Yep, it does that" while TD was "Well, it can be made to do that."

So later this year we're becoming a ServiceNow shop.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Internet Explorer posted:

As long as you're okay your life getting stressful and hectic for a bit, go for it. Sometimes you're at that part of your career/life and that's exactly what you need. If they're going to be paying you well, that's already one hurdle of "MSPs suck" you're over. Go in, plan to stay a year or two, then make your next jump with that added experience.

If you're planning on getting married or having kids or some other event in your personal life that is going to be stressful and/or time consuming, it may not be the right time for you.

It’s going to cut my dialy commute from 45-90 minutes (single trip) to 5 minutes. Even with a lot of (paid) overtime I’m going to come out.

I’ll see if I can find out how stresfull the job will be.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

MSPs are extremely hit or miss and you should interview the gently caress out of them.

Do they track every second of your time in tickets? Is your 'expected salary' contingent on monthly billable hours? Are they super cheap with cheap clients and won't recommend expensive (but correct) solutions, favoring cheap poo poo that works now but incurs technical debt later?

Some MSPs do things the right way. I believe I worked for one of them. It was great, but they couldn't pay me enough to stick around. I just interviewed with an MSP / Consultant that did things the terrible wrong way and passed on them hard.

Thanks for the insights, I’ll be sure to get anwsers on all of this stuff in the interviews. The recruiter said they recently attracted an investor who’s putting serious weight behind the company and they’re moving a shitload of on prem and from their own DCs to AWS/Azure. As for their clients, they are certainly not the cheap kind (at least the ones on their testimonials page).

I’m brought in as a senior so I’m not sure if I’ll actually get much exposure to clients. Maybe as 3rd line or something. I’ll be sure to check how much they want me to write 100% billable hours.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Update: Apparently the third vendor's proposal was over budget. And I've been informed the TeamDynamix presentation, while well delivered, suffered by being after the ServiceNow presentation. SN was lots of "Yep, it does that" while TD was "Well, it can be made to do that."

So later this year we're becoming a ServiceNow shop.

lol

Based on the discussion we recently had in one of these threads, and the meetings I was in last week for our own SN rollout, the answer for SN is also "Well, it can be made to do that.".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s going to cut my dialy commute from 45-90 minutes (single trip) to 5 minutes. Even with a lot of (paid) overtime I’m going to come out.

This alone is reason enough, as long as you're not going to be traveling on-site to customers often. Actually, that's something I would bring up as well. MSPs like to pull the "welp, you're the on-site guy now" poo poo too often.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

rafikki posted:

lol

Based on the discussion we recently had in one of these threads, and the meetings I was in last week for our own SN rollout, the answer for SN is also "Well, it can be made to do that.".

It's all about how you present :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vulture Culture posted:

And, they're highly customizable, so you can gently caress it up in your own special way!
I've only used ServiceNow, in two different iterations. It was a ticketing system. Neither implementation was particularly fast, but neither was hateful. Currently using a custom modification ofJira's in-built ticketing, and it's reasonable. Caveat: I've only used them as a person getting tickets, and creating tickets. I've got no insight into reporting, etc. I'm afraid.

Inspector_666 posted:

*marks URGENT*

Wait - did you not *get* the joke, or did you not *understand* the joke? If you didn't get it, we can send it again. If you didn't understand it, RTFM.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darchangel posted:

Wait - did you not *get* the joke, or did you not *understand* the joke? If you didn't get it, we can send it again. If you didn't understand it, RTFM.

yes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

And now the old people will reminisce about sending prank NetWare popup messages...

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Having to execute a complete colo move (85 racks) that is our entire prod infrastructure in 9 weeks as the people above me can’t communicate, change their mind every other day, and only come up with the plan as we go is a special kind of Hell I don’t wish on any of you. FML right now.

And I’m still in the new colo for at least another couple hours tonight playing with my dick while people don’t make decisions. It’s cool, only my 6th day this week and not like I had any plans Friday night. At least I’m loving hourly still.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

And now the old people will reminisce about sending prank NetWare popup messages...
About once a week I have the annoying choice between (a) holding a user's hand because they want to delegate their Calendar or Inbox or whatever to Janet in Accounting, and (b) saying "OK, we can do that for you" and just assigning Janet in Accounting Full Access to the initial user's mailbox. Every time I am confronted with this choice I miss GroupWise.

We're Exchange 2013 on-prem, for what it's worth, and I know I can use Powershell to assign finer permissions, but it's a request that comes infrequently enough that I just do things the hard way because I can't remember the command syntax, then get half a dozen lines into scripting my way out of this pickle, and then get called off to a more urgent project. Just put the options I want in the ECP, please Microsoft.

I miss bits and pieces of Novell things.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Whenever I run into a problem that Powershell can quickly solve, I just type it all into a txt file, give the document a good name, and file it in my powershell folder. I have a nice collection of organized scripts and tutorials I've written myself, all organized between the different modules used. I work at an MSP, so I live in several versions of Exchange and Office 365--having all of your scripts handy makes Office 365 management so much easier, especially if you ever want to mass update multiple tenants at once. I no longer use the GUI for a lot of requests because now I just have a nice little library of scripts and prepared template csv files I can use. It saves a LOT of time in the long run, and you can do things right rather than just giving Susie Q full access to her boss's entire inbox.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Captain Ironblood posted:

Whenever I run into a problem that Powershell can quickly solve, I just type it all into a txt file, give the document a good name, and file it in my powershell folder. I have a nice collection of organized scripts and tutorials I've written myself, all organized between the different modules used. I work at an MSP, so I live in several versions of Exchange and Office 365--having all of your scripts handy makes Office 365 management so much easier, especially if you ever want to mass update multiple tenants at once. I no longer use the GUI for a lot of requests because now I just have a nice little library of scripts and prepared template csv files I can use. It saves a LOT of time in the long run, and you can do things right rather than just giving Susie Q full access to her boss's entire inbox.

You should use git for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I do the same but with Onenote. I just go on a long rant about what I was trying to solve with the script before pasting the code itself, that way it'll come up in search results.

Sometimes it's just little snippets. As short as it gets:

To remove double or multiple spaces from a filename or rename a group of files
Dir | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace " "," " }

Just something I needed to use a few weeks ago.

Write EVERYTHING down. I said something similar recently, but I came from a SMB background where I had the Windows 7 key memorized and knew why every server was doing what it was doing. That goes out the window somewhere around your 600th ESXi host, so document your poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 27, 2018