Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dementropy posted:

Responses from Reddit:

Dos gaem hav wyman?

Is sjw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol, F8s are coming with LTI, which the Sabre Raven didn't get because gently caress you you only bought a hard drive.

....was the F8 the high tech end-of-campaign fleet fighter talked about back in 2014?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This is the saddest saddest saddest poo poo i've ever loving seen,and i once saw my next door neighbour throw her christmas tree out of the window and set it on fire in front of her screaming children on christmas day.

Screams of joy, I'm assuming, in worship of our Lord and savior Satan?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

....was the F8 the high tech end-of-campaign fleet fighter talked about back in 2014?

Yes, the one that would never be sold to or even be able to be owned by Citizens. That one.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pro click. Thanks for that!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

EminusSleepus posted:

In Star Citizen we start selling new ships to replace old ones and did I mention the game is not out yet?

:eyepop: Just more proof that the worst thing CIG could do is actually release the game. Doing so would ruin the make-believe of the faithful.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Potato Salad posted:

Screams of joy, I'm assuming, in worship of our Lord and savior Satan?

no.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, I'm not gonna go digging for it, but I distinctly remember several car review segments where they'd be like "But how good is it" and they'd answer by putting the stig in a competing car and he and Clarkson would run around the track seeing if the stig could lose Clarkson or not.

Granted, Clarkson is actually a quite good driver in his own right, so it's not exactly like plucking a guy off the street, but I feel like in any discussion about pay to win you should assume a baseline level of competence.

I can't claim to having watched all Top Gear episodes, but I'd say I have watched about 90% of the Clarkson/May/Hammond ones, so I can't commend in the ones before or in between.

The ones I remember, it was always made quite clear (between the lines) that none of them is a pro driver, and that basically no non-pro driver can match a pro driver (which is also true for basically any other sport, but people tend to think it's different because CARS AND MONEY!).

I don't know wether Clarkson actually is a skilled race driver, the episodes where they went to track days, all of them sucked and clearly felt out of place, allthough they are wonderful actors (like Sandi is not), so I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond and Clarkson could hold their own on a regular track day, and May may be some kind of Rainman-Pole-driver in the amateur ranks.

What I respect is that - also between the lines - they never truly contested the fact (at least in the shows I have seen) that no regular person can contest a professional racecar driver. Even the recent past - where pro sim drivers where put into actual racing seats to great success - showed that it takes quite a lot to be a good race driver (learning, talent, skill, fitness, intelligence)......basically like every other thing else where you want to be compete with the best in your area/your country/the world.

Unless you buy that F8 thing, whatever that is, than you are one of the best, irregardless what color the hair of your anime-fuckdoll is

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 26, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

Where's Gonzo when you need him, eh?

WTF is this poo poo?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dusty Lens posted:

We've taken that taskload on ourselves waiting for this trial to get underway.

I may have hurt myself doing so, does anyone have the number of a good reconstruction plastic surgeon?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait a second, why isn't the Idris on the roadmap for this year? For Squadron to be anywhere near even halfway done, shouldn't the Idris be complete?

Well Beet, you're in luck because according to Chris Roberts the Idris was built and flying around in March 2016

10 For The Chairman
March 7th 2016

Chris Roberts:
For instance you know we... ah... you know... HAVEN'T SHOWN IT YET, but you know we have an IDRIS FLYING AROUND and you can land inside it and take off inside it and, em, walk around it and it's pretty cool so um, ah, that was sort of the higher priority and we've still got some stuff to do on the bigger ships

So that roadmap that has just been published? It's a crock of poo poo and lies just like all of CIG's schedules and answers to questions have been a crock of poo poo and lies.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rubberduke posted:

Like this?

That's a weird helmet. You wouldn't have wings on a helmet that has the adjustable nose guard.
The adjustable nose guard meaning it was mass produced for the rank and file, not some custom order work for some fancy pants have wings on your helmet feller.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tuo posted:

Unless you buy that F8 thing, whatever that is, than you are one of the best, irregardless what color the hair of your anime-fuckdoll is

Fair enough. It's also worth noting that although they did a better job of hiding it back in the day, it was always a heavily scripted show.

I think the two main points here are that car analogies are stupid to use when discussing Star Citizen's pay to win aspects, and also that pay to win doesn't necessarily mean you will win all the time but you'll have a huge leg up and much less will be reliant on your skill.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

The doublethink is getting really thick on the ground, isn't it.

Your pledge (which is not a pledge) will be earned (not eligible for refunds) when your item becomes functional (we poo poo out the barest semblance of it, probably just a model in your hangar or maybe just in the single player game), or when it's been spent (lol gently caress you).

CIG, refunds do not work that way. You don't get to say "No sorry we actually earned your money you can't have it back." Having it back is what a refund is. To date, you haven't been issuing refunds, you've been cancelling pre-sales because you still haven't delivered the product.

I think the "earned when it has been spent on the game" is the catch-all for when they go bust. As long it was spent on the game (and on the hard working execs who need to be paid 6 figures per year) then you are cool with getting nothing.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tuo posted:

I can't claim to having watched all Top Gear episodes, but I'd say I have watched about 90% of the Clarkson/May/Hammond ones, so I can't commend in the ones before or in between.

The ones I remember, it was always made quite clear (between the lines) that none of them is a pro driver, and that basically no non-pro driver can match a pro driver (which is also true for basically any other sport, but people tend to think it's different because CARS AND MONEY!).

I don't know wether Clarkson actually is a skilled race driver, the episodes where they went to track days, all of them sucked and clearly felt out of place, allthough they are wonderful actors (like Sandi is not), so I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond and Clarkson could hold their own on a regular track day, and May may be some kind of Rainman-Pole-driver in the amateur ranks.

What I respect is that - also between the lines - they never truly contested the fact (at least in the shows I have seen) that no regular person can contest a professional racecar driver. Even the recent past - where pro sim drivers where put into actual racing seats to great success - showed that it takes quite a lot to be a good race driver (learning, talent, skill, fitness, intelligence)......basically like every other thing else where you want to be compete with the best in your area/your country/the world.

Yeah some of the best top gear segments were things like the hosts saying cars needed to be rear-wheel drive or whatever to be fast and then each of them picking something and competing against each other. Then having the stig beat them in a FWD economy car to make them look like idiots.

They definitely have a lot of respect for real racing drivers and essentialy treat them as otherworldly gods in the show.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, I called that one back in Sept.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/907374617286901763

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Dos gaem hav wyman?

Is sjw!

Well you don't want bears attacking the game do you? Or do you? Do you want bears attacking the game?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Fair enough. It's also worth noting that although they did a better job of hiding it back in the day, it was always a heavily scripted show.

I think the two main points here are that car analogies are stupid to use when discussing Star Citizen's pay to win aspects, and also that pay to win doesn't necessarily mean you will win all the time but you'll have a huge leg up and much less will be reliant on your skill.

But...car analogies are the best? It's the only thing I understand....

I'm sure in twelve to twentyfour months we will have enough car anologies regarding Star Citizen, when all the companies who think they can build car now due to the fact that they no longer have to care about that stupid petrol engine actually do so (and I don't mean Tesla, allthough the also seem to fuckup their Model 3 production).

It's almost like if companies that do poo poo since years - successfully - know how to do that poo poo, in contrast to companies who either never did that stuff or never did it in the last decade, and thus fall on theiir face multiple times (in public, because crowdfunded) like the other companies did in private, and improved on it.

Difference is the (imo): the more these companies are exposed to the public, to bigger their (sometimes allready very large) ego is, so they can't simply say "we hosed that up, how fix?" behind closed doors without people taking note.

Also: I only understand car analogies.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

New ToS is iron..no STEELclad, it surely has the MoMA stamp of approval.

I'd say it was more iror clad

EFB

Bmac32 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Duckaerobics posted:

Yeah some of the best top gear segments were things like the hosts saying cars needed to be rear-wheel drive or whatever to be fast and then each of them picking something and competing against each other. Then having the stig beat them in a FWD economy car to make them look like idiots.

They definitely have a lot of respect for real racing drivers and essentialy treat them as otherworldly gods in the show.

The thing is: to a regular driver, they are. When I did my first C license in Germany, they rounded up all the hot shots after the theoretical part 1 and made them run their mouth. Then we did some laps in our own cars. The instructor than took the car from one of the loudest mouths and completely destroyed his time, on the first try, came back into the pits, and said he was about 30 seconds off the pace he felt he could achieve. After that, everyone was cool and good and knew we are basically just the dirt under his fingernails.

As I said earlier, take a look at Mark Webber taking the course....IIRC, he was the second or third fastest F1 driver ever to take it, and he took most parts of it with like two fingers on the wheel while joking.

Back when I was a semi-professional hockey Goaltender (not enough to really live off of it, but not having to buy your equipment, hotel rooms, gas and stuff), we often had guys from the pro team on our practise that recovered from injury. Of course, they would destroy most of us. I remeber to this day Dave Tomlinson - with a broken arm, in plaster, with the hockey stick in one hand (during a friendly, non-comptetitive practise shortly before christmas) - catching a pass with one hand on the stick and shooting it right into the top right corner of the net (luckily not at me, but at a friend of mine)....multiple times.

It's almost as if pro athletes are....I don't know....professional at what they do :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Now that's a pro-doggo!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tuo posted:

But...car analogies are the best? It's the only thing I understand....

I'm sure in twelve to twentyfour months we will have enough car anologies regarding Star Citizen

Here's one: Star Citizen = DeLorean.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
DeLorean actually works and is still supported 10 billion years after discontinuation tho?

e: I dunno if it really is, but I know people were making parts for them for decades after it was discontinued. Nobody's going to remember star citizen in 2028

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Toops posted:

Here's one: Star Citizen = The Homer

Fixed

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

january 2014
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=4&qid=3

quote:

The ship that we've actually been working on the longest outside of that is actually the Idris Corvette. But it's a really huge ship and we've been going through a little bit of a rearrange/redesign on the interior side to be able to fit the number of ships we want to fit on the hangar deck.

february 2014
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=7&qid=8

quote:

So we actually have been re-factoring the Idris for the needs of Squadron 42
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=7&qid=1

quote:

We're actually having a lot of fun on the capital ship building design. I think you guys are gonna be pretty blown away when we go into that in detail. Which we will do in the near future. It's some thing that the Foundry 42 guys are spearheading for us since there's so much capital ship stuff in Squadron 42.

july 2014
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=30&qid=7

quote:

We still haven't finished the Idris corvette - we've been working on that for quite a while. That one is taking maybe a bit longer than it would normally take because we're using it as our first cap ship prototype, and so we've been going through several rounds of R&D, and quite how we're going to organize, how we're going to lay out the interiors.

04 May 2015
http://scqa.info/?show=10PRO&episode=6&qid=2

quote:

Travis Day: Yes. Before the persistent universe releases, we will be having maps that include both ground-based first person shooter combat as well as ships and traversing from one to the other to accomplish the goals of that map. One of the things we've talked about historically in the roadmap is that we're going to be doing this initial FPS release to kind of get the mechanics nailed down and kind of work a little bit in a bubble so that we test it all out, we get it working, and then from there we're going to be releasing multicrew ships some time after the social module. Once we have multicrew ships and FPS combat working, we're going to move to bring the two together and in what we've always called Arena Commander V3.0 which is "Capture the Idris". So, we had the idea of having a giant Idris as one of the main objectives of the map and two teams of fighters and multicrew ships that would be able to fight over it, take control of it, and pilot it. That is what we're building towards and all of that will be before the full version of the persistent universe has been released.

july 2015
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=60&qid=6

quote:

– Squadron 42 is definitely going to be there before the full PU, so it has been taking priority because there is a lot of ships to build there; the Vanduul ships, the UEE Navy ships and some of the aux ships like Starfarer, Herald the Cutlass. The Idris, the Bengal, they're huge ships, and they take a long time. 5 or 6 working on the Idris right now.

SomethingJones posted:

Well Beet, you're in luck because according to Chris Roberts the Idris was built and flying around in March 2016

10 For The Chairman
March 7th 2016

Chris Roberts:
For instance you know we... ah... you know... HAVEN'T SHOWN IT YET, but you know we have an IDRIS FLYING AROUND and you can land inside it and take off inside it and, em, walk around it and it's pretty cool so um, ah, that was sort of the higher priority and we've still got some stuff to do on the bigger ships

So that roadmap that has just been published? It's a crock of poo poo and lies just like all of CIG's schedules and answers to questions have been a crock of poo poo and lies.
november 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MF7xYMB0A&t=300s
one room left from completion.

Aug 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=8035s
fan ask's CR for date. Cr doesnt answer.

and now idris is completely gone from roadmap
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

I would guess we are two weeks away from idris release :laugh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Toops posted:

Another good car anology. Given DeLorean and the whole coke deal.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Updated link with half of a verse, introducing the boys choir.

https://clyp.it/v5ggwdal

"Chris Roberts, and Sandi Gardiner, have spent a hundred and eighty million dollars"

The choirs have to be programmed phonetically, and it's a pain to do.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I think Star Citizen = Eagle is a better analogy.

Eagle never sold anything they designed themselves, mostly just rebranding others work and then sputtered out after nobody cared anymore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

True. At this moment, I could actually go out, spend money on a DeLorean and get something vaguely car-like. That alone disqualifies it from being used in any kind of SC comparison.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Lladre posted:

That's a weird helmet. You wouldn't have wings on a helmet that has the adjustable nose guard.
The adjustable nose guard meaning it was mass produced for the rank and file, not some custom order work for some fancy pants have wings on your helmet feller.

Well of course someone has something smart to say about a dumb throwaway joke.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dark Off posted:

There is always more Idris development and it is always worse.

It's almost like they've been intentionally dangling the $1000 ship just out of reach of whales for 4 loving years now and nobody who's invested that deeply will call them on it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Toops posted:

Nah, someone in my city has a DeLorean and drives it around without clipping through the floor.

I had never heard of Auto-Quartett before today, and I am completely delighted.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 26, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat lol that really puts it into perspective.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does anyone feel like rubbing?

Depends. which one of you is it at the desk this time?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen 2018 Roadmap
Haven't we heard all this before?

Q1 2018 Roadmap: Network Bind Culling in development
(Task 1/10 completed)

Feb 29th 2016 10 For The Chairman
Chris Roberts:
"We're doing sort of a, uh, whatever you wanna call it, a NETWORK LOD and an UPDATE LOD that sort of scopes depending on, you know, whether you can SEE THINGS, how FAR AWAY they are, whether they are ACTIVE, whether it's another PLAYER, whether it's relevant to YOU"

RSI Website November 2016:
"NETWORK – BIND CULLING (ORIGINAL ESTIMATE 23RD NOVEMBER 2016, PUSHED TO 2.6.1)

Due to other network stability bugfixing and support, we were not able to make enough satisfactory progress to include this with 2.6.0."

Q2 2018 Roadmap: Object Container Streaming Scheduled

Object Container Streaming was previously scheduled for June 2017:

Erin Roberts:
WCCFetch Interview Feb 17th 2017

https://wccftech.com/star-citizen-exclusive-interview-erin-roberts/
"Object containers, all they do is say “something is here” and then as you get closer to them, they say “OK, you’re getting closer, now I need to load” and it could be layers like just external stuff you can see initially and then internal stuff. Right now what we’re working on is the intelligence for when things stream in which is what we need for the next big release. Once we have that, core tech is basically done and then it’s about layering on a bunch of very cool gameplay.

So with the next big release a lot of the underlying game is there and then we can look at transferring people between servers so we can have hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance, but that doesn’t come online until later."

Networking is not to blame for low FPS:

Netcode Special scheduled for Jan 19th 2018:

Surprise surprise, it didn't happen

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another good car anology. Given DeLorean and the whole coke deal.

Try The Dale. A car that never existed, defrauded investors out of millions (in 1970s money), but definitely punched above its weight.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dark Off posted:

Literally a list of lies!

What can you find about the Drake Caterpillar? I have a couple of screens - one when it went on sale in November 2013 (loving lol) and one from ATV when it was being built from May 19th 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
I have just polished my helmet to completion and now need some tissues. And possibly a bath.
Chris told everyone in the last vid conference that he was displeased with the lack of wow factor in the players helmet.