Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ufarn posted:

is there any technical reason why airplay 2 is delayed, or is it just mismanagement of resources?

the guy who uploads the finished build to the ftp forgot the password and he’s looking through napkins in the trash to see if he finds it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but google just copied amazon ... ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

is there any technical reason why airplay 2 is delayed, or is it just mismanagement of resources?

doing audio synchronization over a network is hard, it's extra hard when there's already a ton of patents in the area

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not that the homepod seems at all bad, but it's just a me-too in a market where there is actually already good stuff

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for the gimmick get one of the assistants that is properly maintained, for the *actual* market of the music, there are a lot of good choices for bluetooth speakers, according to your needs/pricepoint, and as the thread advices over and over one can get really ridiculous value if one can give up the integration (not quite the target market, but then do bluetooth speakers, it'll be fine)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

i too love to combine speakers that last decades with electronics that get abandoned after 5 years

but enough about the mbp

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ufarn posted:

c++, so technically both of those things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

c++, so technically both of those things

thanks for being objective

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

thanks for being objective

wow

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

qirex posted:

doing audio synchronization over a network is hard, it's extra hard when there's already a ton of patents in the area

yeah, Dante is the pro av way to do it and its outrageously expensive

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lots of not yospos people seem to like the echo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1/6th american( household)s have echo?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah, Dante is the pro av way to do it and its outrageously expensive

why is audio synchronization so hard exactly?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ufarn posted:

admins, please change my name to The Mismanagement

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is audio synchronization so hard exactly?

okay so take this network

this equipment is all in place, you have no control over it, no idea what brand or model it is. the bandwidth between any point to point connection may change at any moment as devices are gonna be used like normal. its all consumer grade stuff, there's no QoS and if there was, how would you automatically configure it?

in pro av all of those switches are dante compatible and are configured with an awareness of what equipment is where and what it's latency requirements are.

the absolute simplest way to do this is to push the audio file to all of your endpoints and set a start time to begin playing audio at some point in the future but then every time you skip a song or whatever it's gotta upload the audio file to all devices in the network so no real time streaming from any device

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 26, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

you cant just broadcast packets, as latency is going to vary from device to device. you can get a good idea of latency differences between devices and adjust lower latency devices to delay their playback to match the others. but the second someone opens up their macbook and navigates to a webpage or downloads a file boom the latency for the entire network just changed for a few seconds and everything is out of sync

honestly its more expensive in the pro world, but overall it's "easier" because youre going to own all of the hardware from point to point and itll be on its own vlan

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/26/iphone-se-2-said-to-launch-in-may-or-june/

please please please let this be the one time digitimes isn't full of poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

that article says posted:

but will lack the 3D sensing capabilities of the [iphone x]. 

:bisonyes:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

Lots of not yospos people seem to like the echo

cinci zoo sniper posted:

1/6th american( household)s have echo?

why the gently caress would you ever put this in your house

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'hey amazon, buy something but at a vague price and resold by a chinese seller with dodgy ratings'

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So when is the Google Maxi price going to drop, $399 :lol:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

how is it going to work when someone else in the house tells the home pod to send a text? is it going to let people loving send texts on my behalf? what the gently caress Tim

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey siri is quite good at only recognising my own voice on my phone so presumably in a similar fashion

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

fine I guess I’ll buy one then

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*in slightly lower register*

hey siri, text 'hi kids, were home early'

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

why is the ibooks app so loving weird? why is it the only app to show the homescreen background behind a translucent interface? and why does it accompany every fresh launch with the cover of the last book you were reading doing some unskippable flourish animation which takes like 5 seconds to finish?

like i'm only using the thing to listen to pirated audiobooks so it's more strange than actively annoying, but still. who the gently caress designed this app

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i assume its the dumping ground for fever dreams of apples ux designers, a visually confusing panexperiential canvas that dome how avoids jonys cold eye of aesthetic consistency

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they are rumoured to be rebuilding iBooks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

especially because even open source apps have figured out a convenient and easy experience al a fbreader and that poo poo is what a decade old or more?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sweet I've been wanting a new iBook for years

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does anyone have a screenshot of what the podcast app looked like at launch?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Generic Monk posted:

why is the ibooks app so loving weird? why is it the only app to show the homescreen background behind a translucent interface? and why does it accompany every fresh launch with the cover of the last book you were reading doing some unskippable flourish animation which takes like 5 seconds to finish?

like i'm only using the thing to listen to pirated audiobooks so it's more strange than actively annoying, but still. who the gently caress designed this app

I literally forgot iBooks existed. haven’t opened it in years. the answer is that after the US government decided to award amazon a monopoly on ebooks and “monitor” Apple, nobody has cared about iBooks anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I literally forgot iBooks existed. haven’t opened it in years. the answer is that after the US government decided to award amazon a monopoly on ebooks and “monitor” Apple, nobody has cared about iBooks anymore.

while the outcome was incredibly ironic what apple did was absolutely illegal

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can i get a recap?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i like reading on my ipad and the typography is still better than kindle, but the last time apple even looked at ibooks was like five years ago

and now you can't even buy ibooks from itunes anymore after they limited the capability of desktop itunes' store

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all of the major publishers were annoyed that amazon was the only remaining successful ebook store. amazon could negotiate deals with each publisher that were more in amazon’s favor than the publisher’s

Steve jobs called up all the publishers and they all hashed our one deal for pricing and revenue sharing.

the publishers all called up amazon and asked for the same terms or else

amazon sent the communication to the doj

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i use ibooks to read epubs conjured from :filez:

it’s garbage for everything else

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i use ibooks to read epubs conjured from :filez:

it’s garbage for everything else

i don't understand this. iBook can open book and you can then read book.

what more do you want from book??

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

GenJoe posted:

i don't understand this. iBook can open book and you can then read book.

what more do you want from book??

some sort of native ios way to open and read pdfs that isn’t complete garbage would be nice because not all books are epub and also maybe the normal share menu in ibooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

some sort of native ios way to open and read pdfs that isn’t complete garbage would be nice because not all books are epub and also maybe the normal share menu in ibooks

I keep pdfs in iBooks all the time and they are completely fine -- it even imports chapter information and you can search and it syncs the pdfs up to iCloud